Would republicans use Trump to win the White House with plans to impeach and remove him?

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The question is the title.

So use Trump's popularity to win the election and then impeach and remove him?

No.

I honestly didn't think it was a serious question and the way you described it in the OP made it unclear to me what you meant.

To understand why this isn't a plan of the Republican Party, one only needs to do the math on it.

1. If Trump is popular enough to win the election, that means half the country wanted him to be president over the competition.
2. By impeaching and removing a popular sitting president, any Republican who votes in favor of this will torpedo their own re-election chances and will likely lose to an outsider candidate who supports Trump.

That makes the whole "use him to win the election and remove him" scenario extremely unlikely.

Republicans seemed to elevate Desantis as their best chance to elude another Trump debacle at the ballot box. Ron's odds have since dropped a bit.

Right.

Now Ms Haley seems to be rising some in the polls.

I've heard this but uncertain of how true it is.

Yet it is doubtful she can beat Mr Trump sans conviction on any of his many indictments.

Since a conviction doesn't actually prevent Trump from running....I'd go as far as to say even with a conviction she's unlikely to become the nominee.

And it seems fairly obvious republican voters aren't ready to vote for a female president. A felon yes, but a woman no lol.

I don't want to speculate as to why Nikki Haley isn't winning in the polls because I honestly don’t know her policies. I don't know what positions she's taken nor do I know which of those positions are popular or unpopular.

I also think it's a cheap shot to say that Republicans aren't ready to elect a female candidate when they're at least running one. The Democrats have chosen to run a deeply unpopular geriatric old white man and haven't even considered the possibility of a different candidate. Do you think the Democrats are also not ready to elect a female candidate?

But Trump might feel Nikki Haley would be a good running mate, especially if she grabs second place from Desantis.

I have no idea who would consider being VP to Trump. He's got issues when it comes to who he chooses to work with him (somewhat understandable given the fact he appointed Wray) and I don't know what he thinks of Haley.

Part of Trump's appeal on the right is the fact that he's arguably the least beholden to his party since he has a lot of money to campaign on. The only other exception that comes to mind is Vivek Ramaswamy. When compared to other Republican candidates....he has a lot more freedom to ignore the advice or wishes of the Republican Party.

It's not at all like the situation on the left where Joe Biden won't spend any of his own money on re-election and instead he relies entirely upon the Democratic Party to fund his campaign. That's almost certainly why he has Kamala Harris as his VP....the Democratic Party told him that he had to. In fact, if you recall the 2020 campaign after Biden effectively secured the nomination....the complaints of left wing political pundits centered on the problem of Biden being...

1. White.
2. Male.
3. Old.
4. Heterosexual/religious.

To compensate for these "problems" or "shortcomings"....Harris was tacked on as VP despite her lack of competence.

These are issues that Trump doesn't have to deal with. Does Trump want to choose someone that will help him win the election? Of course, but he doesn't have to do what the Republican Party says. If the Democratic Party were to tell Joe that Bozo the Clown is the running mate he needs to win the election, then Biden will run on a ticket with Bozo the Clown.

If power is their sole motivation,

Then it would seem like a bad mistake to remove a popular president who won an election.

it would give republicans an opportunity to claim the honor of being the party that gave America its first female president by removing Donald, providing he actually wins.

The Republican Party, and the average conservative voter, doesn't seem to consider things like "race" or "biological sex" achievements the way the Democratic Party does. They will certainly make a point of electing the first female president should they succeed in doing so....but they'll claim they did so because she was the best candidate, not because they think being a woman is some sort of "achievement".
I've been sensing something in the air lately and can't put a finger on it. I'm not asking if people agree with my speculations, just the title question. I have a feeling something unforseen is afoot. Maybe it will be my original idea that this could be the election that makes a third party run at the White House.

I would say that a third party run at the White House succeeding is more likely than Trump being impeached by his own party.

You should consider the political environment and how Republicans see this current administration. They see the DOJ, FBI, IRS and others protecting a man they're certain is corrupt. They see the Democratic Party as "playing dirty" and using the executive branch to pursue political opponents. If Trump gets elected....you should expect him to replace those departments and agencies with people he can be certain are loyal to him, and he'll use those parts of the executive branch to pursue his political opponents. Republicans largely prevented him from doing this his last term because it simply wasn't something that they would have considered a good idea. It undermines the democratic process. Now that they see the Democratic Party as doing these things (referred to as "weaponizing the federal government") having Trump in office allows them to do the same thing to Democrats....but without the risk of getting their own hands dirty in the process since Trump will take all the credit for it.

I don't think they'll just throw that opportunity away.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Trump staged a coup in order to stay in power.

Trump staged a protest that became a riot.

Anything beyond that is allegation and remains to be seen in a court of law.

Any talk of Trump trying to become a dictator in America is justified.

Talk of Trump attempting to steal a second term is justified.

Talk of Trump trying to become a dictator is looney tunes.

The president is not a dictatorial office...the power to write legislation and rule on the legality of legislation are in two other separate branches.

Anyone trying to be dictator in the US would have to eliminate those two branches of government and assume authority over them...or create an office above all three branches that has authority to undo anything they attempt or force them to do whatever this new office decides.

The only person I can think of that actually even suggested such a thing was Ibrahim X Kendi.

The fantasy is in denying what Trump actually tried to do and what he wants to do. Trump tells us what he wants to do.

Make America great again?

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Fair enough. Do you think if elected the probability for another Trump impeachment is high?
I think if D Trump is elected while there are ongoing court cases of 91 criminal charges plus with him being out on bail in four states then it would be justified to impeach him.
If D Trump has been found guilty of crimes and is either in prison or on house arrest then it would be justified to impeach him.

But if the Republicans win the election and win the House and the Senate, it is highly unlikely that they will vote to impeach and very highly unlikely they will vote to remove him from office. Their voters will never trust them again.
Although, if they HATE D Trump and respect the law and the dignity of office they might just do it. Cuddle up to him in the primaries, support him during the election campaign and remove him once they win.
They certainly don't want to push him away now, as he probably has threatened to run as an independent and would take the lion's share of the "Republican" vote with him.

Anyway, I don't think the Republicans will try to impeach D Trump for things they already knew about and continued to support him on his way to win a presidency.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,704.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What makes them think Trump could win?

(Of course, we know he'll claim he won no matter what the results are, and he will do the same with the Republican primaries.)

The majority of Americans, thank heavens, are still clear-minded enough to see Trump for who he is, a twice-impeached, quadrupally indicted "businessman" who settled fraudulent university claims for $25 million and who will imminently be fined up to $250 million for business fraud.

That's it in a nutshell, without mentioning the sexual settlements and payoffs.

And more.

He could only win if there was a strong third party candidate who threw the election to whoever got the highest plurality vote.

I don't believe that Manchin will run for president. I think he is grounded in reality--and his own self-interest--and knows what a Trump win would do to America.

But if the worst happened and he won, of course he would need to be impeached. He'd get every Democratic Senator to support it, and he'd only need another 15 to 20 Republicans.

But it would be neater, cleaner, for him just to lose, rant and rave a little, and have every National Guard on high alert to keep the insurrectionists at bay.

If he were forcibly removed, the ruckus would probably be much worse.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Yeah, but his MAGA fans would love it.
1. Tucker isn't a politician
2. Tucker is 100% loyal to D Trump (at least publicly)
3. Tucker loves Russia and hates Ukraine
4. Nothing is beneath Tucker (there is nothing D Trump can do that will make Tucker take a pause to think about, or worry about crossing his moral line)

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

(Of course, we know he'll claim he won no matter what the results are, and he will do the same with the Republican primaries.)

The majority of Americans, thank heavens, are still clear-minded enough to see Trump for who he is, a twice-impeached, quadrupally indicted "businessman" who settled fraudulent university claims for $25 million and who will imminently be fined up to $250 million for business fraud.

And more.

He could only win if there was a strong third party candidate who threw the election to whoever got the highest plurality vote.

I don't believe that Manchin will run for president. I think he is grounded in reality--and his own self-interest--and knows what a Trump win would do to America.

But if the worst happened and he won, of course he would need to be impeached. He'd get every Democratic Senator to support it, and he'd only need another 15 to 20 Republicans.

But it would be neater, cleaner, for him just to lose, rant and rave a little, and have every National Guard on high alert to keep the insurrectionists at bay.

If he were forcibly removed, the ruckus would probably be much worse.

Sometimes a ruckus is needed to clean the house effectively.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,704.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Them's fightin' words.

I am horrified when I hear the (far too numerous) conservatives in my (far too red) state saying they have their guns "in case the government oversteps its bounds."
For example, many people thought a free and fair election, determined through many investigations and lawsuits to have yielded a fair result, was the "government overstepping its bounds." Why? Because they were the minority, and they didn't get their way, and they were persuaded to overturn democracy through force

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And more.

• Haha
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,449.00
Faith
Seeker
I think most Republican politicians would not be totally shocked if Trump did something really horrible and needed to be impeached. Most of them pay lip service to claim of "voting irregularity" but they do not act like Trump's claims of a stolen election are actually a serious problem

There is not much of a difference between waiting for 3 hours to the Jan 6 "tourists" to go home and never telling them to go home

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Them's fightin' words.

I am horrified when I hear the (far too numerous) conservatives in my (far too red) state saying they have their guns "in case the government oversteps its bounds."
For example, many people thought a free and fair election, determined through many investigations and lawsuits to have yielded a fair result, was the "government overstepping its bounds." Why? Because they were the minority, and they didn't get their way, and they were persuaded to overturn democracy through force

I can definitely understand your being horrified. I am often disgusted by the behavior of ignorant, spoiled Americans myself. Yet I learned long ago that placating bullies is unwise. I am blessed with faith and I don't have to fear these unruly brats. I think Donald Trump emboldened these misguided people and they only feel righteous about their unhinged grievances due to the lack of quality leadership in their party.

The ruckus of which I spoke is more of the counter-ruckus to the misguided ruckus of spoiled Americans who don't wish to share their freedoms with All their American neighbors. I actually thought authorities should have set a better precedent during the Jan 6th attempted insurrection. These unhinged lunatics were attacking our Capitol on the day we certified election results! And most Americans understand how different the results would have been had the insurrectionists been minorities or Muslims or any other oppressed groups.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm interested in hearing what thoughts are on this topic. I have been wondering if politicians would do something that underhanded. It would seemingly alienate Trump voters, yet I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. Anything seems game for politicians to attain or retain power. I have been watching Haley angling for the #2 spot in republican primary polls. Either she legitimately wants to be Trump's VP nominee or else she might have an ulterior motive. She may honestly believe a Trump conviction would knock him out of the running. The entire republican coalition seems so disorganized it's hard to figure out. Anyone have any thoughts regarding the question posed in the thread title?
No, because, if they did. It would political ruin them. Look what happened to Republicans, that were honest. And told the truth about Trump. Trump supporters turned on them. Even a war hero.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, because, if they did. It would political ruin them. Look what happened to Republicans, that were honest. And told the truth about Trump. Trump supporters turned on them. Even a war hero.

I still wonder. Half of those republicans are in districts in which they have no opponents in reelection primaries. What would voters do vote for the democrat? They won't do that, hence the motley crew of inept congressional republicans. Some may draw primary opponents I must concede. But they will need to return to honesty and truth with voters some day I should hope.

I am truly sorry about your cat leaving you. I lost my beloved Labrador Daisy on the first weekend of the pandemic isolation period. I understand your pain well. I still miss her. Have a great day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I still wonder. Half of those republicans are in districts in which they have no opponents in reelection primaries. What would voters do vote for the democrat? They won't do that, hence the motley crew of inept congressional republicans. Some may draw primary opponents I must concede. But they will need to return to honesty and truth with voters some day I should hope.

I am truly sorry about your cat leaving you. I lost my beloved Labrador Daisy on the first weekend of the pandemic isolation period. I understand your pain well. I still miss her. Have a great day.
What happened to the Republicans, that voted for impeachment? It's a career ender for most. Because Trump encourages the voters, that they are bad. Look what happened to John McCain. He had his supporters betraying John McCain. Which a lot of his supporters are Conservative Christian. He's good at brainwashing. I don't recall a cat dying recently, and I don't get teary eyed, when animals. If I want another pet. I just replace it. My dad died, that is devastating.

Upvote 0