• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Worst German Liberal Theologian ever?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by mindlight, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Friedrich Schleiermacher

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Albrecht Ritschl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rudolf Bultmann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Adolf Harnack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Martin Luther

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. A.N.Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+1,599
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    Who was the worst German theologian ever?

Poll gives some choices but you can add your own. But please explain your choice.

Friedrich Schleiermacher - God experienced through existential feeling - moral relativism, father of modern liberalism
    Albrecht Ritschl - Faith based on history without miracles
    Rudolf Bultman - demythologising the bible of all miracles
    Adolf Harnack - undermined bible authority - questioned basic Christian doctrines
    Martin Luther - split the church or revitalised it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+5,278
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Miracles are invisible to all but the person who experiences them.
    True story.
    I don't know how those writers covered this fact.

3. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+1,258
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Everyone but Luther I would argue are equally bad. Luther, for all his faults was no liberal, at least in our modern context so his name on that list makes no sense.

4. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+28,729
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yeah thought that was odd.

5. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,143
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    I find nothing wrong with liberalism. We must think deeply about all sorts of issues --- nothing is exempt. I too am a liberal because I have found that is the only for me to maintain my spiritual, moral and intellectual integrity. I would include Luther, for all his faults, as a liberal too. He had the courage to think outside the box and act on it.

6. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+28,729
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    He really was not an out of the box type of theologian. In fact with Sola Scriptura he was trying to beat everyone who went out of the box back in.

7. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+5,570
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    My choice is not included on the list.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Everybody pretends to admire the guy because he stood up to the Third Reich. But his theology and a lot of his opinions were an absolute train wreck which have influenced some very wrongheaded and very non-Christian (some would say very anti-Christian) ideas and philosophies.

People can say whatever they want about Luther. But at least Luther mostly believed in recognizable Christian doctrine. I'm not prepared to grant that same premise to Bonhoeffer.

8. mindlight

+1,599
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    I am actually attending a Lutheran church and think Martin Luther was actually an admirable witness to Jesus. But in the interests of a cross denominational poll I included him as I suspected Catholics might vote for him. Also he is the root of a distinctively German theology that ultimately manifested itself in the German theological liberals of the last 3 centuries even if he himself would abhor most of their conclusions.

9. mindlight

+1,599
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    Think my own definition of liberalism would have less to do with the freedom to think and explore deep theological truthes and more to do with the commitment to errors that have harmed the witness and life of the church, eroding their faith in God, the bible and the church rather than affirming it. All of the theologians in my poll did that in their own way with the exception of Luther IMHO

10. mindlight

+1,599
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    The preparedness to commit murder and disrespect for the established authorities (however abominable) being two errors in his theology.

But not sure he is really in the Big League when it comes to German theology - not like Karl Barth, Karl Rahner or Martin Luther for instance.

11. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,143
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Bonhoeffer took part in a plot to kill Hitler. As a Christian that must have been a difficult decision. For Christian soldier on both sides the decision was easy --- do what you are told, don't think about the morality of it all, just kill the enemy. For a civilian there is no code of military justice looming over him just the realization that a monstrous toxic evil was loose in the world and that it was within his power to do something about it. It was a "lesser of two evils" dilemma. He made an incredibly difficult and courageous decision --- to risk eternal damnation to do the right thing. It is really not much different than the partisan undergrounds who did so much to help win the war. He did the right thing. He is a true Christian hero irregardless of his theology.