St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you explain why God would allow confusion to come when a believer is honoring the Holy Spirit in worship? I understand that this does not happen all the time , but the question remains; when the spotlight is on the Holy Spirit in worship, why does God allow strong delusions to come?

It's not God allowing confusion, it's man causing confusion. Another example might be a man confusing people by calling into question an aspect of worshiping God by saying we shouldn't do it. It's clearly not bringing clarity to people, but it seems God is still allowing it.

Do people do crazy stuff in the name of the Holy Spirit, sure. But just because some people abuse the truth doesn't mean we should refuse the truth. If the standard for ignoring biblical principles was people misusing the things of God, there would be nothing left of the Bible to share.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The American Indians dance and chant for the "Great Spirit" to come. They attributed the effects of alcohol to their supernatural experience in communing with that "Great Spirit".

Christian churches will testify to supernatural visitations by what they believe was the Holy Spirit and call it as being "drunk in the Spirit" to rationalize the confusion in worship which God is not the author of.

They address the Holy Spirit in worship, call for Him to come and fall on them in worship, but that was not the Holy Spirit that answered, because God permitted that strong delusion to occur for not coming to Him by the only way of the Son.

How can sinners like the American Indians come to God the Father unless the way is truly narrow so that sinners do not bring their practice in with them and Christians can test the spirits by as not of Him?

Scripture & the indwelling Holy Spirit is still pointing believers to keep going to the Bridegroom while the antichrist and the spirits of the antichrist will broaden the way in the worship place for seducing spirits to come in and take the spotlight away from the Son to lure believers in chasing after them to receive after a sign. I believe that is why Jesus said this in Luke 13:24 to avoid those spirits and the consequence of being workers of iniquity in being left behind in Luke 13:25-30

Native Americans have nothing to do with this discussion.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Only the Son will answer the prayers as Jesus said so in John 14:13-14 so that the father may be glorified in the Son for answers to prayers.
Your adding your own words to the scripture, maybe that's why you're confused. Only Jesus answers prayers, are you sure about that? I'm not.
Not seeing the relevancy of this point of truth to this discussion. Care to clarify?
The relevancy is clear. But for you to understand that Jesus is not the only one that takes care of us: Matthew 6:25-26
There is no dispute that the Holy Spirit is God and of the Triune God, but why would strong delusions occur sometimes when believers address the Holy Spirit in worship and honor the Holy Spirit in worship?
I'm not sure I'm the person to answer about delusions of the Holy Spirit.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful. :) Cheers.

Upvote 0

Revelation 22:10-12

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All three members of the Holy Trinity must be worshipped, as they are all God in the forms he appears to mankind in.

I don't believe Matthew 12:32 is declaring worship the Holy Spirit or be condemned, that seems a little misleading to me, but it is still a very serious verse and you must heed it's warning. You can run away from the Son, but the Holy Spirit will never give up on you. You can run away from the Father, and the Holy Spirit will still catch you when you call out. If you run away from the Holy Spirit, you are running away from hope for salvation. There is no hope in the opposite direction, and eventually if you run far enough the Holy Spirit will be too far for you to make out, and you'll be lost. Follow the Spirit with all your heart, and salvation will always be available for you.

Jesus said He is the only way to come to God the Father by; John 14:6 He also said to climb up any other way is a thief; John 10:1 Those who do climb up another way are following a stranger's voice; those who claim to receive the Spirit apart from salvation by a sign of tongues without interpretation ). John 10:2-5 Those who have gone astray are still His sheep even for not following His voice as He must bring them ( they got left behind for not being of the fold that follow His voice ) and they will be made to be of the one fold and one shepherd as they will hear the King of kings literally; John 10:16

So if all three are to be worshipped equally, why is there troubling phenomenon when worship is on the Holy Spirit in honoring Him and especially when they call on Him in worship to come and fall on them?

It does not happen all the time, but I am sure you have heard enough of it to give pause to my concerns.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Scripture & the indwelling Holy Spirit is still pointing believers to keep going to the Bridegroom while the antichrist and the spirits of the antichrist will broaden the way in the worship place for seducing spirits to come in and take the spotlight away from the Son to lure believers in chasing after them to receive after a sign. I believe that is why Jesus said this in Luke 13:24 to avoid those spirits and the consequence of being workers of iniquity in being left behind in Luke 13:25-30

This is highly erroneous. The antichrist spirits would never seek to influence anyone to worship the Holy Spirit. Worshipping the HS is not the broad way by any means. Each member of the trinity has a unique role but they are all the Godhead.

I'm just going to leave 1 John 5:7 here

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Native Americans have nothing to do with this discussion.

Then answer why the focus on the Holy Spirit in worship brings confusion that they attribute it as being drunk in the Holy Spirit?

That is why I refer to the American Indians in how they dance and chant for the Great Spirit to come for why they consider drinking alcohol in getting drunk as the same as communing with the Great Spirit.

How would God call those sinners away from the Great Spirit and their practice of invoking that Great Spirit if those who call on the Holy Spirit in the same way in worship, brings about the same effect?

So is the way narrow in coming to God the Father or not? Did Jesus meant what He has said or not?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So if all three are to be worshipped equally, why is there troubling phenomenon when worship is on the Holy Spirit in honoring Him and especially when they call on Him in worship to come and fall on them?

If you're talking about the [questionable] practices involved in Pentacostal baptism, you cannot use that as a measure of the veracity of the work of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That is why I refer to the American Indians in how they dance and chant for the Great Spirit to come for why they consider drinking alcohol in getting drunk as the same as communing with the Great Spirit.

This is not a Christian practice by any means. Where in the bible does it tell us to get really drunk and chant around the campfire to recieve the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

Artra

The unforgivable sin is not repenting
Jan 31, 2019
United States
✟13,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said He is the only way to come to God the Father by; John 14:6 He also said to climb up any other way is a thief; John 10:1 Those who do climb up another way are following a stranger's voice; those who claim to receive the Spirit apart from salvation by a sign of tongues without interpretation ). John 10:2-5 Those who have gone astray are still His sheep even for not following His voice as He must bring them ( they got left behind for not being of the fold that follow His voice ) and they will be made to be of the one fold and one shepherd as they will hear the King of kings literally; John 10:16

It does not happen all the time, but I am sure you have heard enough of it to give pause to my concerns.

The Holy Spirit is not a stranger's voice; it is God's, and Jesus is God in human flesh. If people claim to be led by the Holy Spirit but do not act righteously, then we must pray to gain the wisdom to lead them to the truth.

John 14:6 and John 10:1 refer to attempts to gain access into salvation for some other end or through some other means aside from pursuing the Holy Trinity; the Holy Ghost is a part of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your adding your own words to the scripture, maybe that's why you're confused. Only Jesus answers prayers, are you sure about that? I'm not.

I am sure.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

The relevancy is clear. But for you to understand that Jesus is not the only one that takes care of us: Matthew 6:25-26

Jesus being the only One in taking care of us? Never said that. Jesus answers prayers at the approval of God the Father for why we give the Father thanks in Jesus's name. So in that respect, the Father cares for us as that reference is applied but how the prayer system works? We can ask the father in Jesus's name but the Father still has the Son answering that prayer so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

I'm not sure I'm the person to answer about delusions of the Holy Spirit.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful. :) Cheers.

Well, there are no delusions of the Holy Spirit, but if there be any confusions in worship because of the focus on the Holy Spirit, any confusion brought about is not being done by the Holy Spirit or God at all.

That is why He calls believers to strive ye to enter through the straight gate ( Luke 13:24 ) to avoid visitations from such seducing spirits to be led away in chasing after them for a sign.

The spirit of the antichrist wherein antichrist means "instead of Christ" or to be clearer still, "instead of the Son" is how these spirits of the antichrist operate by taking your focus off of the Son in worship. The indwelling Holy Spirit would never do that, but ignoring that truth is why many saints go astray and fall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not a Christian practice by any means. Where in the bible does it tell us to get really drunk and chant around the campfire to recieve the Holy Spirit?

You misunderstood me and for that I apologize. The American Indians were doing that BEFORE they were introduced to alcohol. It is when they were getting drunk by alcohol is when they refer that drunkenness to their communing with the Great Spirit when that Great Spirit had come on them from all their dancing and chanting for that Great spirit to come.

They did not consume alcohol to bring that Great Spirit. They only refer drunkenness to that experience they had when the Great Spirit had come. I hope that was clearer.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The spirit of the antichrist wherein antichrist means "instead of Christ" or to be clearer still, "instead of the Son" is how these spirits of the antichrist operate by taking your focus off of the Son in worship. The indwelling Holy Spirit would never do that, but ignoring that truth is why many saints go astray and fall.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 talks about the anti-christ as denying God and proclaiming himself as God and Jesus will overthrow him at his second coming. The antichrist is a person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit is not a stranger's voice; it is God's, and Jesus is God in human flesh. If people claim to be led by the Holy Spirit but do not act righteously, then we must pray to gain the wisdom to lead them to the truth.

Right. Those who seek to receive the Holy Spirt apart from salvation by the sign of tongues are getting a stranger's voice because that was not the Holy Spirit they had received apart from salvation when He has been in them since they were saved at the calling of the gospel when they had first believed in Jesus Christ. That is why it is considered a stranger's voice because it comes with no interpretation, but is just gibberish nonsense.

John 14:6 and John 10:1 refer to attempts to gain access into salvation for some other end or through some other means aside from pursuing the Holy Trinity; the Holy Ghost is a part of the Trinity.

I believe it is about how we have fellowship with God the Father through the Son and by no other way. Jesus speaks to us through the Holy Spirit, but our response is back to the Bridegroom, and by Him, to God the Father as well.

That is the only way to keep sinners of their practice and their spirits out from coming in between the believers and the Son. We are married to God through the Son for why we should not be chasing after any spirits at all. Our focus should be on the Bridegroom since He is coming soon for us anyway, right?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The glory of the Father rests on the Son for why by honoring and glorifying the Son is how we honor and glorify God the Father.

Believers are led by the Spirit in worship to do what the Holy Spirit has been sent to do; to testify of the Son in seeking His glory and He does that through us in outward ministry, and especially in worship.
Sounds good to me!

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 Thessalonians 2:3-12 talks about the anti-christ as denying God and proclaiming himself as God and Jesus will overthrow him at his second coming. The anti-christ is a person.

In testing the spirits, you can read about the spirits of the antichrist that are in the world for why we are not to believe every spirit but test them; see verses 3 & 4 of 1 John 4:1-6

But yes, there is that son of perdition; that antichrist, but there are many antichrists now in these latter days.

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToServe

Sep 18, 2018
Sydney
✟29,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are not understanding the term homoousian.

Jesus, the Father and the Holy Spirit are the one being. Yet you cannot worship one person and not the other, otherwise it would not be Trinitarian.

Jesus claimed that his works were by the Holy Spirit persona. Jesus as a person was not operating in Devine Providence when performing the miracles, the Holy Spirit was within the Godhead.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In testing the spirits, you can read about the spirits of the antichrist that are in the world for why we are not to believe every spirit but test them; see verses 3 & 4 of 1 John 4:1-6

But yes, there is that son of perdition; that antichrist, but there are many antichrists now in these latter days.

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

Let me ask you this: Your title to the thread says, worshiping the Holy Spirit is unbiblical. Have you done away with that assumption? Or is that an assumption you had at all?

Upvote 0

Artra

The unforgivable sin is not repenting
Jan 31, 2019
United States
✟13,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right. Those who seek to receive the Holy Spirt apart from salvation by the sign of tongues are getting a stranger's voice because that was not the Holy Spirit they had received apart from salvation when He has been in them since they were saved at the calling of the gospel when they had first believed in Jesus Christ. That is why it is considered a stranger's voice because it comes with no interpretation, but is just gibberish nonsense.

I believe it is about how we have fellowship with God the Father through the Son and by no other way. Jesus speaks to us through the Holy Spirit, but our response is back to the Bridegroom, and by Him, to God the Father as well.

That is the only way to keep sinners of their practice and their spirits out from coming in between the believers and the Son. We are married to God through the Son for why we should not be chasing after any spirits at all. Our focus should be on the Bridegroom since He is coming soon for us anyway, right?

You are correct the Spirit confused and isolated from the Trinity will not grant salvation, but I feel that these examples of people pursuing spirits are distorting your own perception of the Holy Spirit and it's importance in the Trinity. Worshipping the Holy Spirit without worshipping the Son is not worshipping the Holy Spirit at all. I believe from what you said that your heart understands that but it's still confused. The Holy Spirit is God, not a stranger, and as such worshipping it is not unbiblical. Dismissing these false spirits is correct, but don't let them warp your understanding of the need for the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Ing Bee

Son of Encouragement
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2018
East Bay
✟78,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So by exalting the name of the Son for the glory of the Son for what He has done for us, is how God the Father is glorified in the Son.

And that is what the Holy Spirit in us is leading us to do in worship. There is no other way to honor and glorify God the Father by in worship other than to testify of the Son to seek the glory of the Son in worship.

Can you establish your thesis "there is no other way..." from those texts? I don't think so.

The point of Jesus' words in John 13 was to demonstrate how his imminent death, as the best picture of the depth of God's love (Romans 5:8) would simultaneously reveal God's character and reveal Christ's character. This is what God's glory is: his character (see Exodus 34). God's glory is not our words but our recognition of who he is. Therefore when we recognize who the Spirit is we are glorifying Him. Do you recognize the deep commitment the Holy Spirit has to his people such that he can be grieved when we act faithlessly? Do you recognize his persistence as our comforter, teacher and helper? If so, you are glorifying the Spirit.

In Philippians 2, Paul is drawing attention to Jesus as a model for humility (you skipped verses 1-4) with the resultant glory that we will receive (Colossians 3:4, 1 Thess. 2:12, 2 Thess. 2:14). It is a natural result of people recognizing the Son's worth that they should recognize the Father who sent him (John 3:16-17). Paul is not talking about the Spirit, and the Spirit was not crucified. He was sent into the world for a different purpose: to draw people to the Son, to continue the work of the Son, to seal the saints, to equip the saints, to expand the kingdom.

"Glory" is not as you describe it; hat, I think, is why you are struggling to prove your thesis: you are shooting at the wrong target. By making the verses you quote about what you are focusing on, you are not making them about what their authors intended them to communicate. Glory and worship should not be understood in a mystical sense, as something that exists in a finite amount, a kind of zero-sum game, but in a normal, relational sense. Glorify the Father for his Love in Sending the Son. Glorify the Son for entering history to Secure salvation and adoption. Glorify the Spirit for his faithful and persistent help, counsel and care in the process of sanctification.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

So? That doesn't say "Don't worship the Holy Spirit."

The Holy Spirit is God. As God, the Holy Spirit is to be worshipped (as the Athanasian Creed says). End of story. Modern heretics that say otherwise are to be ignored.

And remember Luke 12:10: And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

• Agree
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.