Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They're talking about the Jewish scriptures, i.e. the Old Testament. While some of Paul's letters may have been in circulation in some areas, the only compilation of scripture available was what we call the OT. The bible, as we know it today, did not exist for hundreds of years later.

Seems like a whole lot was going on than that.

Did they not practice sharing epistles written to specific places with other places?

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. 16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

That is the practice set. Below testify they did that with all the epistles.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.

Upvote 0

Revelation 22:10-12

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They're talking about the Jewish scriptures, i.e. the Old Testament. While some of Paul's letters may have been in circulation in some areas, the only compilation of scripture available was what we call the OT. The bible, as we know it today, did not exist for hundreds of years later.

Also in Acts; the early church days when the practice started in sharing epistles.

Acts 15:3 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia. 24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: 25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; 29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.30 So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle:

Antioch appears to be the center for dispensing the epistles to the churches abroad.

Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Anyway, reads to me that the four gospels and the epistles were spreading about to all the churches even back then. Why else were they having argument of genealogies which I attribute that can stem from the gospels of Matthew & Luke?

Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men. 9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. 10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
No one is teaching me that the Holy Spirit is not worthy of worship.

Scripture is teaching me how God the Father is to be worshipped and that is by only honoring the Son in worship. Scripture also teaches me that is what the Holy Spirit in me is leading me to do in worship.

I accept that you agree to disagree. I leave it to God to cause the increase. No point arguing.

That's not what scripture is saying, and if that's what someone is teaching you vs. you just misunderstanding, it's false teaching. That's the danger of cherry-picking verses out of context without taking into account the message as a whole.

If you are asking the question of how to glorify God the Father, you must also ask the questions of how to glorify the Son and how to glorify the Holy Spirit. It is only by glorifying all three that you glorify GOD in his entire being because he is not one of them, but he is ALL of them at once.

Seems like a whole lot was going on than that.

Did they not practice sharing epistles written to specific places with other places?

Colossians 4:15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. 16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.

That is the practice set. Below testify they did that with all the epistles.

1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.

The epistles were not compiled into a book and immediately spread around everywhere. They did not have a printing press to make hundreds and thousands of copies for everyone to put on their nightstands, and they did not have UPS or Federal Express or even the U.S. Post Office to ship copies all around the world in a matter of days. When they spoke about the scriptures in these letters, they were referring to Jewish scripture, which was the only compilation of scripture available to anyone, and even then it wasn't likely that every single Christian had their own copy of it or could read it.

• Winner
Reactions: ToServe
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.