✟8,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all :wave:

One year ago today, I was unemployed. I truly believe that it was a miracle when I was hired for a seasonal position last summer. Then, by God's grace, a permanent position came open where I worked - in a time of budget cuts. Another miracle.

Today, I was told by my boss that I had three weeks to find another job. Now, by God's grace, they are getting ready to open the same seasonal position that I had last year. My current boss is going to talk to my former boss and ask if they will take me. So, I have a few more months of income.

And the weird thing is, yesterday, I saw my former boss and she said, "I am glad that you found something permanent, but I would sure love to have you back this year."

So why am I worried? Because this position is seasonal, so by the end of the summer, I will have to look again. And due to some blemishes in my background, finding a job is more challenging for me than others.

I am telling myself that it was a miracle that I got this job. There was one position and 1100 people applied, and I got it (thank you God). I know that God has a purpose for me being there...I don't believe in coincidence. If God created a miracle to get me the job in the first place, why did He allow me to lose it? What did I do wrong?

Thanks for reading this long post. :)

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi mochamajesty,

First of all, we need to remember the things God has done for us in the past. Otherwise we take them for granted.

We need to remember them so that we can recall how God helped us through that situation, and use the same faith we had in God back then to help us in the next circumstance.

This is a test of your faith, rely on God, recall to mind how he helped all those times before. Keep relying on him and he will keep helping you.

If you look back in the old testament, you get countless number of times the Israelite army were totally outnumbered and God would help them beat armies far superior to their own. Then years later, they would have the same trouble and they were reminded to have faith in God as before and God would help them.

James 1:2-3
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Matthew 6:25-34
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Upvote 0

mochamajesty

Nov 13, 2009
Where it's hot and sunny.
✟8,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi fm107,

I know in my head that this is a test of faith, and all I need to do is just trust. I am just very hurt emotionally right now. I feel like I let everyone down, even God. He got me this job, and I lost it. I performed the job to the best of my ability, and I was let go for poor performance. My boss said that it wasn't the job for me. I am not one of those "do what you love" people, I was bought up to pay bills first. I liked my job, but I didn't love it. But in this economy, what's love got to do with it? :)

I will be glad when my feelings catch up to my brain. Thanks for the scriptures.

Hi mochamajesty,

First of all, we need to remember the things God has done for us in the past. Otherwise we take them for granted.

We need to remember them so that we can recall how God helped us through that situation, and use the same faith we had in God back then to help us in the next circumstance.

This is a test of your faith, rely on God, recall to mind how he helped all those times before. Keep relying on him and he will keep helping you.

If you look back in the old testament, you get countless number of times the Israelite army were totally outnumbered and God would help them beat armies far superior to their own. Then years later, they would have the same trouble and they were reminded to have faith in God as before and God would help them.

James 1:2-3
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Matthew 6:25-34
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Upvote 0

LWB

Jan 28, 2011
Brisbane
✟16,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd be reluctant to highlight incidents as being miracles, or seeing myself as being singled out to receive divine providence over others.

Imagine someone who escaped a sinking ship, but found a lifeboat in the nick of time to avoid being eaten by sharks. They might think it a miracle. But then adrift on the sea for days, with no water to drink, they might have been more fortunate to have died swiftly with the sharks!

Reading that thread about the book of Job reminds me how silly it is to think of God determining our circumstances depending if we are good or bad. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to the good. The challenge is to be loving to God and others no matter what our circumstances; whether we live in a palace, or live on the street.

This may seem like a grim attitude, but I believe it is the reason we're here.

Upvote 0

mochamajesty

Nov 13, 2009
✟8,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd be reluctant to highlight incidents as being miracles, or seeing myself as being singled out to receive divine providence over others.

Imagine someone who escaped a sinking ship, but found a lifeboat in the nick of time to avoid being eaten by sharks. They might think it a miracle. But then adrift on the sea for days, with no water to drink, they might have been more fortunate to have died swiftly with the sharks!

Reading that thread about the book of Job reminds me how silly it is to think of God determining our circumstances depending if we are good or bad. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to the good. The challenge is to be loving to God and others no matter what our circumstances; whether we live in a palace, or live on the street.

This may seem like a grim attitude, but I believe it is the reason we're here.

So, God does not control everything in our lives? He had nothing to do with me getting the job? Sometimes things "just happen"?

I don't understand how Christians can believe in coincidences. It's a coincidence that as one job was ending, another one began - even though they were on a hiring freeze? It's a coincidence that the same thing happened again? In this economy? Maybe it is not a miracle in the biblical sense, but I call it my miracle, and I am extremely grateful for it.

And yes, it is a challenge to love God and others no matter the circumstances. I'm still growing in that area.

Upvote 0

LWB

Jan 28, 2011
Brisbane
✟16,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, God does not control everything in our lives? He had nothing to do with me getting the job? Sometimes things "just happen"?

I don't understand how Christians can believe in coincidences. It's a coincidence that as one job was ending, another one began - even though they were on a hiring freeze? It's a coincidence that the same thing happened again? In this economy? Maybe it is not a miracle in the biblical sense, but I call it my miracle, and I am extremely grateful for it.

And yes, it is a challenge to love God and others no matter the circumstances. I'm still growing in that area.

I believe God controls everything, but I don't believe God always intends us to be comfortable.

If God chose you to receive the job and not the other 1100, is the only possible reason because God cared for you the most? If you think like that, then it is only natural you should feel worried upon the threat of losing your job. It may mean that God doesn't care for you anymore.

I'm trying to say that God cares for you no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. Whether you maintain your job, or lose it. So don't worry!

Upvote 0

mochamajesty

Nov 13, 2009
✟8,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe God controls everything, but I don't believe God always intends us to be comfortable.

If God chose you to receive the job and not the other 1100, is the only possible reason because God cared for you the most? If you think like that, then it is only natural you should feel worried upon the threat of losing your job. It may mean that God doesn't care for you anymore.

I'm trying to say that God cares for you no matter what circumstances you find yourself in. Whether you maintain your job, or lose it. So don't worry!

Point taken. :)

I must say that I never intended to imply that God cared for me more than the other 1100. I have no idea why He chose me. I guess I am wondering why He chose me against overwhelming odds, only to allow me to lose the job. But, His ways are not our ways.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mochamajesty

Nov 13, 2009
✟8,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for your input everyone. Now the emotions have passed.

Update:

Today my current boss bought in two hiring managers from HR and had a meeting with them for the sole purpose of finding me another position in the company. There may be a full time position doing something that I like with possibly more money.

God put people in our lives for a reason. I am amazed to watch Him work in my life everyday.

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi fm107,

I know in my head that this is a test of faith, and all I need to do is just trust. I am just very hurt emotionally right now. I feel like I let everyone down, even God. He got me this job, and I lost it. I performed the job to the best of my ability, and I was let go for poor performance. My boss said that it wasn't the job for me. I am not one of those "do what you love" people, I was bought up to pay bills first. I liked my job, but I didn't love it. But in this economy, what's love got to do with it? :)

I will be glad when my feelings catch up to my brain. Thanks for the scriptures.

Your very welcome sister.

Matthew 10:30
And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

God has even the number of our hairs on our head counted, he cares for you so much. We just need to have faith. By the sounds of things, things are looking up for you already.

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

We all need to remember (including me) all the times God has came in and helped us in our struggles, nothing is impossible for him. But we should be continually mindful of all God has done and continues to do for us and continue thanking him for his loving kindness towards us. It's ungrateful for a child to take something from his father and not say thank you. So remember God when your blest just as you remembered and called on him in your times of struggle. Don't forget him in your time of life when things are going well for you (this goes for everyone including me).

May God bless you.

Reactions: mochamajesty
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mochamajesty

Nov 13, 2009
✟8,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We all need to remember (including me) all the times God has came in and helped us in our struggles, nothing is impossible for him. But we should be continually mindful of all God has done and continues to do for us and continue thanking him for his loving kindness towards us. It's ungrateful for a child to take something from his father and not say thank you. So remember God when your blest just as you remembered and called on him in your times of struggle. Don't forget him in your time of life when things are going well for you (this goes for everyone including me).[/COLOR]

May God bless you.

This just convicted me (I don't mean that in a negative way at all). I do have a habit of not thanking him as much as I should. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
A

amywah

Just wanted to comment on the idea that saying God helped you get a job and if it means he cares more for you than everyone else that applied.. I dont agree that it would be saying that at all. God knows where each person needs to be to fulfill their own life. That job was NOT where the other 1100 needed to be. They are in the right place for them. Even if its not where they want to be. God knows what each of us needs.

Upvote 0