Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm going through an existential crisis, and I have been for the last 8 years. It seems to me that my life is not heading in any good direction whatsoever, because everything I try to do, ends up failing miserably. My family considers me a burden, and always tell me how foolish I am and that I suffer from a mental illness. I'm Catholic, I go to confession and go to church and read the Bible, however my prayers go unanswered and my life is the same year after year. Despite all of my efforts (spiritual as well as material), I have not achieved anything significant in my life and it seems to me that at this rate, I will not achieve anything. Nor have I gained wisdom through all of my trials. Rather, things have just become worse. Why is God so far from me? I pray but it's futile, I cannot discern the voice of God from my own thoughts. It seems to me as if God does not care about me at all. Would love to speak with someone on this forum about this topic, I can elaborate. I'm losing hope here. I watch "prophetic" videos on Youtube every day (as a substitute, because God doesn't speak to me) but the things that the alleged prophets prophesy never happens. Thus I live in a continual state of disappointment. I would like to speak to someone on this forum who can give me advice.

Last edited:

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best thing to do is to read your Bible and focus on your relationship with Jesus. Focus on doing the work that Jesus has called us to do which is to preach the gospel, visit those in jail, visit the sick, pray constantly especially for the expansion of His Kingdom and for His Kingdom to come.

The Bible says that God has created us for His pleasure, meaning the most important thing about your life to God is that He created you simply because He wants to have a relationship with you. You are precious and important to Him. The fact that you exist is enough. You don't need to be a Nobel prize winner. You just literally need to "be". That's enough for God. The second most important reason God created us is to honor Him, fear Him, and keep His commandments. By keeping His commandments, you are doing what pleases Him the most.

See Revelation 4:11 and Ecclesiastes 12:13.

Memorize scripture verses that encourage you and repeat them to yourself constantly. I love Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusteth in thee.

The wisdom of the world tells us we need to accomplish some great feat in our lifetime like climbing Mount Everest or skiing across a volcano without getting burnt, but that is worldly wisdom. Godly wisdom tells us that we need to put God first, seek Him earnestly, love Him, and live by His principles. Worldly wisdom tells us that we are not enough. Godly wisdom tells us that our sufficiency is in Christ.

Remember Martha and Mary. Martha was very busy while Mary sat and learned at the feet of Jesus. Luke 10:41-42. Who pleased Jesus more by her actions? Mary did, because she learned of her Savior, as He requested in Matthew 11:28-30. You are burdened and weary it seems. Lean on the bosom of Jesus and read His words, He loves you so much. Rest in Him.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Go to a 'ilvely' church if you know what i mean, that believes in being filled with the Holy spirit (important), God can be close to us, and we can realize it, and sense him, but some churches are more dry than others in that sense.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The best thing to do is to read your Bible and focus on your relationship with Jesus. Focus on doing the work that Jesus has called us to do which is to preach the gospel, visit those in jail, visit the sick, pray constantly especially for the expansion of His Kingdom and for His Kingdom to come.

The Bible says that God has created us for His pleasure, meaning the most important thing about your life to God is that He created you simply because He wants to have a relationship with you. You are precious and important to Him. The fact that you exist is enough. You don't need to be a Nobel prize winner. You just literally need to "be". That's enough for God. The second most important reason God created us is to honor Him, fear Him, and keep His commandments. By keeping His commandments, you are doing what pleases Him the most.

See Revelation 4:11 and Ecclesiastes 12:13.

Memorize scripture verses that encourage you and repeat them to yourself constantly. I love Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusteth in thee.

The wisdom of the world tells us we need to accomplish some great feat in our lifetime like climbing Mount Everest or skiing across a volcano without getting burnt, but that is worldly wisdom. Godly wisdom tells us that we need to put God first, seek Him earnestly, love Him, and live by His principles. Worldly wisdom tells us that we are not enough. Godly wisdom tells us that our sufficiency is in Christ.

Remember Martha and Mary. Martha was very busy while Mary sat and learned at the feet of Jesus. Luke 10:41-42. Who pleased Jesus more by her actions? Mary did, because she learned of her Savior, as He requested in Matthew 11:28-30. You are burdened and weary it seems. Lean on the bosom of Jesus and read His words, He loves you so much. Rest in Him.
You do not understand. I pray all day but to no avail. I do not see why I should do those things that you mentioned. I recognize that yes, sometimes the world's standards are different than God's standards. But the problem is that I cannot hear God or that he does not speak to me. Thus I have no further direction or instruction from him in my life. I feel like a stupid child; despite my efforts, I have not gained wisdom.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Go to a 'ilvely' church if you know what i mean, that believes in being filled with the Holy spirit (important), God can be close to us, and we can realize it, and sense him, but some churches are more dry than others in that sense.
I do not what church to look for, then.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going through an existential crisis, and I have been for the last 8 years. It seems to me that my life is not heading in any good direction whatsoever, because everything I try to do, ends up failing miserably. My family considers me a burden, and always tell me how foolish I am and that I suffer from a mental illness. I'm Catholic, I go to confession and go to church and read the Bible, however my prayers go unanswered and my life is the same year after year. Despite all of my efforts (spiritual as well as material), I have not achieved anything significant in my life and it seems to me that at this rate, I will not achieve anything. Nor have I gained wisdom through all of my trials. Rather, things have just become worse. Why is God so far from me? I pray but it's futile, I cannot discern the voice of God from my own thoughts. It seems to me as if God does not care about me at all. Would love to speak with someone on this forum about this topic, I can elaborate. I'm losing hope here. I watch "prophetic" videos on Youtube every day (as a substitute, because God doesn't speak to me) but the things that the alleged prophets prophesy never happens. Thus I live in a continual state of disappointment. I would like to speak to someone on this forum who can give me advice.

your awnser(s) to you questions are found in the three questions God asked Adam ...

Last edited:
Reactions: headphones777
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i can understanding what i write has no measurement and therefore past the souls ability to grasp ...

in one view where you are is likened to a wondering in a feild caught between two mountains ... vally of the shadow of death

God calls every son out of Egypt/Passover and into a wilderness/Pentecost where he slays them ... death being the price to enter into the land/Tabernacles ... three feast our soul must keep ... wisdom, knowledge and understanding

speaking to knowledge/Pentecost/soul when we reason between two fruits of a tree ... we then are double minded and therefore unstable in all our ways ...

another view ... cursed is anyone hung on a tree ... hung on a tree is to be lifted up as in caught between heaven and earth ... a neither here nor there ...

ponder these things ... use words or part of sentences what i write is all in scripture ...

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear your pain. I have no idea why your journey is as it is and I have no platitudes for you. But I will share what has been touching me lately and giving me a different perspective in my life and its difficulties. I have been taking a dee dive into the life and times of St Francis of Assisi. Somehow he found a way to experience joy in his suffering. He believed it was simply the will of God for him and had enough love to accept it. I know it sounds impossible. I think the key is remembering that Jesus was crucified. And that is for real. Whatever we suffer, in a way, connects us or gives us solidarity with the suffering of Jesus.

Knowing that intellectually is one think. But des it help us cope better? Des it help us accept and even experience more joy? Those are questions we each must find out for ourselves.

Only one thing is truly important: your relationship with God. Find time to relax. God is all around you.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello brother. No is judging you or criticizing you.
Proverbs 24:20. For there shall be no reward to the evil man; The candle of the wicked shall be put out.
The wicked reject God's word, and wont repent. They embellish doing folly. You don't want to follow thier foot steps.

23:17. Let not thy heart envy sinners; But be thou in the fear of the Lord all day long.

Fools are to stupid to repent and seek God's wisdom. They're self reliant and self worship. Pride is ornament around they're neck.

Success is studying the bible and obedience to God. The wicked think love is weak. Pride is thier downfall.

Jesus can fix people's problems. Jesus can solve it. Christian people must repent.
21:2. Every way of man is right in his own eyes; But the Lord ponders the hearts.
God judges by motives and desires.
The wicked. The impurities from silver can't be DROSSED. Thiers no substance.
But the righteous can be refined. Get the picture. They repent and produce fruit for God. Thier profitable.
Do you understand??

Keep distance from fools and the wicked. Focus on Jesus. Spirtual growth is the key. Study the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Proverbs 24:20. For there shall be no reward to the evil man; The candle of the wicked shall be put out.
The wicked reject God's word, and wont repent. They embellish doing folly. You don't want to follow thier foot steps.

23:17. Let not thy heart envy sinners; But be thou in the fear of the Lord all day long.

Fools are to stupid to repent and seek God's wisdom. They're self reliant and self worship. Pride is ornament around they're neck.

Success is studying the bible and obedience to God. The wicked think love is weak. Pride is thier downfall.

Jesus can fix people's problems. Jesus can solve it. Christian people must repent.
21:2. Every way of man is right in his own eyes; But the Lord ponders the hearts.
But the righteous can be refined. Get the picture. They repent and produce fruit for God. Thier profitable.
Do you understand??

Keep distance from fools and the wicked. Focus on Jesus. Spirtual growth is the key. Study the bible.
Hi thanks. Yeah I'm losing hope though. Even though I "repent" every week, my life looks the same man. I do not consider myself righteous.
And I've already done what you suggested, to no avail.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Do you understand??

So what? I repent all the time, yet God does not intervene in my life whatsoever. Why should I praise God when my life is very mediocre and I never get what I pray for at all?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Why should I praise God when my life is very mediocre and I never get what I pray for at all?
I can tell you why you should praise God. Forget about what status you think your life is. (you've said mediocre) And forget about what you don't think you've received in prayer. You can thank him and praise for what he has done for you. He came to the earth and died for your sins and shed his blood to redeem you. You know what that means? It means he was beat up, spikes were driven into his hands and feet and a spear was thrust into his side, and his back was whipped

and a crown of thorns was put on his head......FOR YOU. He took your death and is offering you (if you haven't received) eternal life. So you think your life is not good? Consider many would loose their lives and standing for Jesus, they've been persecuted, thrown in prison, treated unkindly. My point to you is a message to me as well.....Get your mind (and I need to do this too all the time) get our minds off or ourselves. Praise God anyway. Easy to do? Not always. It's wise to commit to doing this anyway.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So what? I repent all the time, yet God does not intervene in my life whatsoever. Why should I praise God when my life is very mediocre and I never get what I pray for at all?
Hello brother..
James 4;3. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on pleasure.
Our will isn't important to God. It's doing it Gods way. If someone asks for lottery ticket winner. God may not grant it. God knows the future and His children. The person might get killed buying a Porsche. Get the picture.

Proverbs 28:9. If one turns away his ear from hearing God's law, even his prayer is an abomination.
Jesus always put his another person interest before his own. Personal gain is wrong. Being selfish is wrong. Being involved in church that teaches traditions of men and false doctrine makes God angry. God hates false teachings.

We need to analyze our self motives.
Amos chapter 5:4 . Seek Me and live, do not seek Bethel, do not go to gilgal, do not journey to beer sheba, for gilgal will surely go into exile, and Bethel will be reduced to nothing.

Bethel is house of God. Some churches lying to people, and won't nourish their flocks. God is angry with the shepherds. They failed in their capacity to prepare the congregation. The shepherds are accountable to Jesus. And Jesus is not happy with Christian people who listen to false brethren. Get the picture.

Get out of dead churches. Study sound doctrine. God won't listen to prayer of those involved in traditions of men and false doctrine.
Analyze your own spirtual condition.
Is it stagnant??
Or has thier been spirtual growth ??

5:21. I, hate, despise your religious festival, your assemblies are stench to me. These are Christian people playing church. Thier love is false pretext to God. No intention of taking thier bible studies seriously and trying to produce fruit for God.
Do we see the problems ???

5;23. Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.
Some Christian people dont care if they are biblically illiterate and end up worshiping antichrist near future. God is expressing his disgust for thier selfishness. God won't accept lip service.

Many Christian people are hearers only of God's word.
You must be Doers of the word.

We see the barriers between God and some Christian people.
Thier motives are wrong.

We need to analyze our self's.

Servants of God are to study the bible and plant seeds for God. God can't use Christian who is biblically illiterate.

We study sound doctrine and acquire spirtual growth.

Repentance is important.

I laid out with documentation what the problems are.
Lack of faith will not please God. You must have faith.

I wish you all the best.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can tell you why you should praise God. Forget about what status you think your life is. (you've said mediocre) And forget about what you don't think you've received in prayer. You can thank him and praise for what he has done for you. He came to the earth and died for your sins and shed his blood to redeem you. You know what that means? It means he was beat up, spikes were driven into his hands and feet and a spear was thrust into his side, and his back was whipped

and a crown of thorns was put on his head......FOR YOU. He took your death and is offering you (if you haven't received) eternal life. So you think your life is not good? Consider many would loose their lives and standing for Jesus, they've been persecuted, thrown in prison, treated unkindly. My point to you is a message to me as well.....Get your mind (and I need to do this too all the time) get our minds off or ourselves. Praise God anyway. Easy to do? Not always. It's wise to commit to doing this anyway.
My comment was provocative on purpose. I will tell you what I meant by the comment.
First of all, you do not understand what I've been through.
So Jesus suffered and died for me? I've heard that phrase so many times that it's lost all meaning to me. "He suffered and died for me" that's all great, and no disrespect to Jesus Christ, but what freaking difference does it make in my life? And more so, where was Jesus when I was being humiliated and abused and mocked? Where was Jesus when I was extorted? Where has Jesus been the countless times when I've cried out to God, only to receive... nothing? Where has he been in the COUNTLESS PRAYERS that I've done over these past eight years??? Where has Jesus been through these 8 years of unanswered prayers and misery and problems?? Then tell me, if you are so wise and I am foolish... Where the hell has God been in my life????

• Prayers
Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part of bitterness and resentment towards God is because we are given false expectations about what Jesus' suffering meant for us.

He did not die so that we could live peaceful lives with no suffering on Earth. He died so that we could be spiritually saved.

Once you understand that, the bitterness and resentment towards Him will go because your focus will redirect appropriately.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Part of bitterness and resentment towards God is because we are given false expectations about what Jesus' suffering meant for us.

He did not die so that we could live peaceful lives with no suffering on Earth. He died so that we could be spiritually saved.

Once you understand that, the bitterness and resentment towards Him will go because your focus will redirect appropriately.
That is all well and good, but I am in no way closer to salvation now, than before I was practicing....

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is all well and good, but I am in no way closer to salvation now, than before I was practicing.... so it seems that Jesus died in vain for me at least.
I am not in the position to make any judgment regarding your salvation but I believe you are angry and hurting and I'm sorry for whatever has caused this and will pray for you. I know that doesn't take from, or add anything to, your situation right now. But, I hope with time your anger and pain eases and you find closure so you can see things differently.

Upvote 0