Working hard?

Chilaha

Aug 28, 2011
✟18,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This has always been a problem for me but now more than ever. Well, I want to be a hard worker and a good amount of the time I am. But, sometimes I don't mainly when it comes to physical activity. On my sports team I don't always go as hard as I should because I don't be called a "try hard" or something. So, mainly I just get peer pressured into not working hard. Which isn't good because I want to do my best in my sports. So, how can I not care what others will think and just work to my full potential?

Secondly, when do I know if I'm supposed to work hard in an activity or not? I know school and sports you should do your best. But, let's say something like just playing a video game with my brother? lol Do I still have to do my best?

TheManOfDust

Jun 8, 2012
The Land of The Corrupt Governors
✟15,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Forget about what others call you or think of you, they shall find reason to speak ill of you no matter WHAT you do! Part of being a christian is recieving criticism for what you believe in. Just take that philosophy to sports, do what you think is right.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On things that really matter ... I would say that you definitely should give it your best effort. Life is short. Why would you waste the abilities that God has given you?

I can hardly believe that your sports team would actually be pressuring people to slack off ... that's pretty pathetic in my opinion. If they don't want to go out there and really play - then they shouldn't be there in the first place. Maybe you need to find another team that cares about what it is doing.

You don't need to carry competition over to everything you do. Like games with your brother. Put in enough effort to make it fun - but don't worry about it.

good luck!
gideon123

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This has always been a problem for me but now more than ever. Well, I want to be a hard worker and a good amount of the time I am. But, sometimes I don't mainly when it comes to physical activity. On my sports team I don't always go as hard as I should because I don't be called a "try hard" or something. So, mainly I just get peer pressured into not working hard. Which isn't good because I want to do my best in my sports. So, how can I not care what others will think and just work to my full potential?

Secondly, when do I know if I'm supposed to work hard in an activity or not? I know school and sports you should do your best. But, let's say something like just playing a video game with my brother? lol Do I still have to do my best?

It depends upon the situation. In real competitive sports, e.g. school teams, my impression is that everyone is expected to do their best. But in friendly sports, while people try, they may not put out that last bit of effort. I never did sports, but from what I can tell the people involved in it seriously train and play to where it hurts, and then keep going. I don't think you'd want to do that when you're playing for fun.

The same goes for video games, though it depends upon your brother's age and his preference. Normally I'd expect you to try, but not necessarily put out every effort. If he's younger or less skilled, it's partly a matter of his preference. Backing off a bit to give him a chance may make it more interesting for him, but some younger kids would take it as an insult. If he's your own age or older, I'd say the same as for sports: try, but there's no need to go for the jugular or put every possible effort into it. A lot of why you play is to get a chance to be with and talk to someone. Putting every last effort into play means your whole attention has to be on the game. That may miss the whole point. It's probably more important for both of you to be taking the same approach.

I don't see that any of this is a moral issue.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2005
✟2,829.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Financial Freedom is like a large billboard two-word advertisement that flashes across your mind in this modern industrial age, and that it comes from one, two or all of your options: your own talent, or gambling, or learning for career success. I like singing Christian songs of worship but remembering the words for every song in church on Sundays, can be a bit too much when you have a job in the way, that's if you decide to make singing a future career. It's easy to spend up to a hundred dollars on lotto to take a chance on winning a million dollars or so because you worked hard and because it's paper money made from the trees of mother nature, I wouldn't worry too much about. As for learning a trade, training for a career, that's always on my mind but there are easier ways to earn money if you stick to your step-by-step goals, if for example, you have an invention idea.:*:. :liturgy:

Upvote 0

gemologist

Apr 26, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that you will receive the reward of an inheritance from the Lord. You serve the Lord Christ.
Colossians 3:23-24 HCSB

God always wants us to do our best, after all He gave His best, Jesus.Try not to worry about what others thing or thier jealousy of you when you do your best. I have seen my daughter struggle here as well. Your best however isn't always your ablity, but it is always your heart. When playing games with your brother, maybe your best is spending quality time with him and sharing things about God, while teaching him some of your stradegy so later you can have some real competition later. :)
Most importantly ask God what He expects in these areas, beacause if you are not doing it for Him it only counts as idleness any way. Hope you have a great day.

Upvote 0