Woman with Lupus Catches CoVid-19 - Hydroxychloroquine

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps but as for me I have a hard time shaking my distrust of media and even some in the medical community which I feel have an agenda or at least potentially that they could have. I don't think politics ends in the minds of people just because they have a doctors badge on their cloak. And I've seen other credible doctors highly educated who's opinions and assessments should be in the mix of what should be considered without having them censored, laughed at and mocked just because they've spoken positive things about certain treatments.

Sadly, IMO everyone has an agenda, whether they realize it or not. Some agendas are from good intentions and some are not. As responsible adults, we are supposed to acquire and filter the best, most accurate information we are able to acquire to make our own informed choices (when possible).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
LINK

Researchers analyzed data from more than 96,000 patients with confirmed Covid-19 from 671 hospitals. All were hospitalized from late December to mid-April, and had died or been discharged by April 21.

Just below 15,000 patients were treated with the antimalarial drugs hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, or one of those drugs combined with an antibiotic.

All four of those treatments were linked with a higher risk of dying in the hospital. About 1 in 11 patients in the control group died in the hospital. About 1 in 6 patients treated with chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine alone died in the hospital. About 1 in 5 treated with chloroquine and an antibiotic died and almost 1 in 4 treated with hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic died.

Researchers also found that serious cardiac arrhythmias were more common among patients receiving any of the four treatments. The largest increase was among the group treated with hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic; 8% of those patients developed a heart arrhythmia, compared with 0.3% of patients in the control group.

Azithromycin also can cause heart arrythmias.

The bottom line is this isn't something a person should be taking casually. There are safer ways to protect the public from COVID-19.

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To be fair....I haven't looked into the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine and I honestly don't understand the issues surrounding it.

But someone taking a medication...any medication...for 19 years is not going to experience the same effect as someone taking it the first time tomorrow.

It's proposed mechanism of action shouldn't allow people to build up a resistance to it. If it inhibited viruses it would do so by interfering with how they entered cells and whether the virus was allowed to proliferate by then exiting.

Unless taking it for that long fundamentally changes how their cells work in some way it wouldn't matter how long they took it.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
For those who live in mosquito infested and malaria ridden countries, cinchona bark, the source of quinine, is used to make tonic to become gin and tonics to ward off the effects from the mosquitos. I don’t know how they compare in illnesses. It would be an interesting study.

Malaria is a parasite that enters red blood cells and digests hemoglobin. Quinine is toxic to it's ability to digest hemoglobin.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's proposed mechanism of action shouldn't allow people to build up a resistance to it. If it inhibited viruses it would do so by interfering with how they entered cells and whether the virus was allowed to proliferate by then exiting.

Unless taking it for that long fundamentally changes how their cells work in some way it wouldn't matter how long they took it.

You sound like you've looked into this....

I stand corrected.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You sound like you've looked into this....

I stand corrected.

Biological toxicology and mechanisms of actions of drugs were always a hobby of mine even after my biology degree ended up getting used for other things.

I was interested in why a malaria drug was thought to be able to treat this particular virus (and why it worked against malaria) so I looked into the scientific basis for why they thought it may work.

• Informative
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have not read a single article that includes hysteria, but I do not frequent those types of sites when I seek news/information. I actually actively avoid them. I have seen many articles stating it has been used for years, and prescribed, usually, effectively (safely) for approved conditions. Who is they (and no I am not kidding) ie "one thing they won't admit"?

What do you mean? The drug was approved in 1955 and has been used to treat 10's of millions of people for years.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be fair....I haven't looked into the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine and I honestly don't understand the issues surrounding it.

But someone taking a medication...any medication...for 19 years is not going to experience the same effect as someone taking it the first time tomorrow.
The takeaway is that Hydroxychloroquine does not prevent COVID 19.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
whether or not the story is true I don’t know and that’s the problem. The media will fabricate stories Just to continue a agenda they may have. Need a last name and in person interview.
I appreciate your skepticism. Sometimes “the media” is almost as unreliable as the President. Almost.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean? The drug was approved in 1955 and has been used to treat 10's of millions of people for years.

You stated "one thing they won't admit" this has been used for years. I asked who is this "they" that you state won't admit it? Who is stating the drug has not been used for years or who is stating it is not efficacious for its approved drug profile?

I have read numerous articles (both professional and lay), both before the pandemic and since, indicating the drug has been used for decades, usually safely and efficaciously, for those who tolerate or don't experience the side effects. Those who experience the most severe side effects are taken off the medication.

The use of this medication is not a secret, nor has anything I have read stating it is not acceptable for certain demographics. I have neither seen nor read any hysteria, and there is no one trying to hide or negate the benefits of this medication for the conditions for which it has been approved (at least not at my news sources). I have read many different studies already have been done and many are still being done to see if it is efficacious in any way for Covid-19.

I guess we simply cannot understand each other because our information comes from drastically different sources. Have a great weekend!

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The takeaway is that Hydroxychloroquine does not prevent COVID 19.

So far as I am aware, the only prevention of becoming symptomatic to an encountered virus is antibodies. You either have them in your system (natural or vaccine) or you do not. You can mitigate a virus exposure if your immune system is working efficiently and thwarts the attack early. You do not develop symptoms thus appearing to have never "caught" the virus to begin with.

Take "this" (insert any medication, Essential oil, herb etc), and you won't catch it is merely untrue. Even with a vaccine, you still catch "it" if you are directly exposed. Your immune system merely hinders the virus from multiplying quite early so you do not notice.

• Winner
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So far as I am aware, the only prevention of becoming symptomatic to an encountered virus is antibodies.
Neuraminidase inhibitors have been shown to prevent symptomatic influenza in exposed people --
see JAMA 2001;285:748-54 and J Infect Dis 2002;186:1582-8.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You stated "one thing they won't admit" this has been used for years. I asked who is this "they" that you state won't admit it? Who is stating the drug has not been used for years or who is stating it is not efficacious for its approved drug profile?

I have read numerous articles (both professional and lay), both before the pandemic and since, indicating the drug has been used for decades, usually safely and efficaciously, for those who tolerate or don't experience the side effects. Those who experience the most severe side effects are taken off the medication.

The dosages of the drugs for malaria prophylaxis are alot lower generally (usually only one pill a week is taken), than what certain individuals have suggested as treating COVID-19.

So far as I am aware, the only prevention of becoming symptomatic to an encountered virus is antibodies. You either have them in your system (natural or vaccine) or you do not. You can mitigate a virus exposure if your immune system is working efficiently and thwarts the attack early. You do not develop symptoms thus appearing to have never "caught" the virus to begin with.

Take "this" (insert any medication, Essential oil, herb etc), and you won't catch it is merely untrue. Even with a vaccine, you still catch "it" if you are directly exposed. Your immune system merely hinders the virus from multiplying quite early so you do not notice.

Antiviral drugs can sometimes be used as a prophylactic.

Upvote 0