• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Woman with Lupus Catches CoVid-19 - Hydroxychloroquine

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Hank77, May 20, 2020 at 6:01 PM.

1. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,225
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    A Wisconsin woman who has had lupus for most of her life said she takes hydroxychloroquine and still caught COVID-19.
    Kim, who only wants her first name used, said she has taken the anti-malarial drug for 19 years to help treat the pain caused by her lupus.
    Kim said her primary care doctor prescribed antibiotics, but her condition worsened. She said when she went to an urgent care center days later, nurses said her oxygen saturation levels were at 78%, when they need to be at 95% or higher.

Kim said after arriving at a hospital, she tested positive for COVID-19.
    Kim said she was in the hospital for seven days. She said she was on oxygen and received plasma.

She is mostly recovered now, but is still on oxygen at her home.

A woman who has lupus took hydroxychloroquine for 19 years. She still got COVID-19

Hopefully, there aren't many people out there that are believing that being on Hydroxychloroquine will keep them safe from this virus.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+6,226
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    To be fair....I haven't looked into the efficacy of Hydroxychloroquine and I honestly don't understand the issues surrounding it.

But someone taking a medication...any medication...for 19 years is not going to experience the same effect as someone taking it the first time tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+886
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The claim was never that Hydroxycholorquine prevents COVID-19. The claim was that it lessened the severity of symptoms once COVID-19 was present, and the amount of time those symptoms appear. So, it was to be used as a therapeutic, and not for prevention.

Also, I don't care if the President claimed it was a preventative, or not. That's not what doctors were claiming, and they're the ones we should be taking medical advice from, and not some politician.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ my Lighthouse in the storm Supporter

+10,934
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    For those who live in mosquito infested and malaria ridden countries, cinchona bark, the source of quinine, is used to make tonic to become gin and tonics to ward off the effects from the mosquitos. I don’t know how they compare in illnesses. It would be an interesting study.

5. XAPLTOS

XAPLTOS New Member

+54
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    whether or not the story is true I don’t know and that’s the problem. The media will fabricate stories Just to continue a agenda they may have. Need a last name and in person interview.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+4,489
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Interesting. Could you elaborate?

7. Ana the Ist

+6,226
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Sure.

Drug tolerance - Wikipedia

Most people associate drug tolerance with narcotics or alcohol...but the same general principle applies to the vast majority of drugs.

8. Tanj

+4,489
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Sure, but that is primarily PK/PD related issues, I've not seen anything to suggest mitigation of on target effects due to overuse, have you? More specifically, I'd like to hear how long term use of HCQ would affect it's antiviral activity in the absence of long term exposure, it quite clearly remains effective against lupus.

9. Ana the Ist

+6,226
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    You're asking me to dig through studies on long term use and tolerance of HCQ?

10. Tanj

+4,489
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Just asking for support for your assertion.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,138
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    It's snake oil that detracts from other treatments that are more promising.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Hieronymus

Hieronymus Well-Known Member

+2,950
    Netherlands
    Christian
    Single
    Hopefully people will learn about the wide and successful usage and testing of HCQ against Covid-19 (or other Corona viruses) in stead of drinking the main stream Fear Aide.

13. Ana the Ist

+6,226
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    What assertion? That long term use leads to tolerance to the effects of drugs? Or HCQ specifically?

14. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+12,819
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Some of the drug's ardent boosters here were suggesting it.

"people who take hydrxychloroquine for Lupus don't appear to becoming sick with covid-19 at all prompting studies that are indicating already it may be effective as a preventative treatment."

15. Phronema

+886
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The headline is very misleading. In the story itself it's stated that they were treated by the drug, and already had COVID-19. Here is quote from a doctor from that very story. The bolding is theirs, and not mine.

"Dr. Stephen Smith then pointed out that not a single coronavirus patient under his care who was on the hydroxychloroquine regimen needed to be intubated."

"Dr. Stephen Smith: More person has received five days or more of the hydroxychoroquine-azithro combination has been intubated. The chance of that occurring by chance according to my sons Elan and Hunter who did some stats for me are .000 something. It’s ridiculously low. It’s ridiculously low however you look at it. We were looking at selection bias in this situation. But I cannot think of a reason why. If all else is equal why people that received 5 days or more or even four days or more of this hydroxychloroquine-azithro regimen wouldn’t get intubated… It’s a game-changer. An absolute game-changer. I think this data goes to really support the French data… Laura, I think this is the beginning of the end of the pandemic."

16. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+12,819
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
  17. Phronema

+886
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Ah fair enough. No offense, but I have no clue who that person is nor their credentials, or where they got that false information. I just haven't seen any doctors make that claim. I'm quite sure there are random people making up falsities out there frequently unfortunately. To include the President.

18. ArmenianJohn

ArmenianJohn Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist

+3,218
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Don't blame the hydroxychloroquine for not working - she did it wrong. She's supposed to inject it with bleach and a flashlight into her lungs.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,225
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  20. sfs

sfs Senior Member

+5,868
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    In this case, what would be required is long term use by the host leading to tolerance by a newly acquired virus, which seems unlikely.