Woman sues over anti-Bush bumper sticker.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ATLANTA - A woman who was ticketed for having an obscene anti-
President Bush bumper sticker filed a lawsuit in federal court Monday against DeKalb County and its officials.

Denise Grier, 47, of Athens, Ga., got a $100 ticket in March after a DeKalb County police officer spotted the bumper sticker, which read "I'm Tired Of All The BUSHIT."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061016...0anqC0uQE4F;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What irks me about this whole stupid thing is that the case was thrown out. This is just another case of someone trying to cash in on an excuse. The stupid ticket was thrown out in court. They need to throw this case out as well or make her pay the fine for wasting the time of the court.

CJ

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ho-humm...
The USA is pretty unique in these things.

Here, what would be done would be - a complaint would be filed by the offended person - and whoever gave the ticket would have gotten a reprimande. That is, if it would have been issued at all. Which is extremely unlikely.
It would have been cancelled. It would never reach a courtroom.
Why should trivial things like this ever reach a courtroom anyhow? Why bother a judge with this???

Upvote 0

Rik

The Dude abides
Jan 7, 2005
Next door to Alice.
Visit site
✟11,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ho-humm...
The USA is pretty unique in these things.

Here, what would be done would be - a complaint would be filed by the offended person - and whoever gave the ticket would have gotten a reprimande. That is, if it would have been issued at all. Which is extremely unlikely.
It would have been cancelled. It would never reach a courtroom.
Why should trivial things like this ever reach a courtroom anyhow? Why bother a judge with this???

One word: Too many lawyers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's this type of stuff that makes non-Bush supporters and the ACLU look a bit selfishly-silly.

The woman is self righteously seeking some free money and I PROMISE you she's saying to her friends, "It's about the principle of the Constitution and not the money."

Yeah, we'll see that when the check gets cashed.

Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

Rik

The Dude abides
Jan 7, 2005
Next door to Alice.
Visit site
✟11,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does not the amount of lawyers indicate a need for them? What is the root of this? It sure is not the amount of lawyers, but the structure of your legal system, right?

Not necessarily. I don't think the two are related.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Does not the amount of lawyers indicate a need for them? What is the root of this? It sure is not the amount of lawyers, but the structure of your legal system, right?

Obviously, you haven't seen the lawyers in the States.
They multiply as the money increases.
And yes it is our system that is to blame, but where in the system does it need changed?

Everyone thinks they have the right to sue for discomfort, every lawyer tells the people they can get massive amounts of money, so how do you improve the system?
In our system a person gets millions for their own stupidity. Their gross negligence doesn't matter when
the multi-million dollar business has simple negligence.

A hot cup of coffee that can burn the skin is negligence,
placing that scalding cup of coffee between your legs and spilling it, thats gross negligence.
But McDonalds paid millions for providing a hot cup of coffee.

The ticket should have been thrown out(the law was ruled unconstitutional), she should recieve lost wages if she had to take off work, and legal fees if she consulted a lawyer, and some money for inconvience, but not a great amount.
I do believe laws can limit vulgar speech, but society and law makers have to make it meet requirements for the constitution.
But you can not ticket someone when they have no valid law to site.

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
the problem started with an over-officious jerk who was politically motivated with his ticket serving.
but the problem with our court system is really very simple, and will not be changed because of the strength of the trial lawyer lobby and the fact that most of congress is made up of lawyers.
in most countries, if i sue you for something and i lose the case, i am responsible for all of the court costs and lawyer fees for the person i sued. in our country, if you are sued you are on your own and responsible for your own defense. moronic! there is nothing at stake for the person who sues if they lose. the lawyer takes the case on a contingency basis, getting paid a percentage if they win. if i am on the hook for the costs if i bring a frivolous law suit, i am going to be alot more sure that the law suit has merit before i bother a court about it. there are people in this country who do nothing but sue people for a living. that is there job. that is only possible because the lawyers in this country want the machine to keep on spitting out law suits. win or lose, they are making money. it is a juggernaut for them, and the american public pays for it.
lawyers on both sides of the aisle are responsible for this farce. nobody will put the brakes on these guys, and it is a perfect, maybe THE perfect, example of special interests working against the best interests of the country. no other developed country has a legal system that works like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
A hot cup of coffee that can burn the skin is negligence,
placing that scalding cup of coffee between your legs and spilling it, thats gross negligence.
But McDonalds paid millions for providing a hot cup of coffee.

Incorrect, McDonalds paid millions for knowingly selling a product that was unsafe.

They ended up being forced to pay because they would not pay a small settlement, something they ended up regretting.

Find a different case to pick on.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's this type of stuff that makes non-Bush supporters and the ACLU look a bit selfishly-silly.
what does the aclu have to do with her seeking emotional damages?

isn't that tort law? the aclu doesn't work in tort law.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We don't want cops walking around acting like the politics patrol. One of the few ways to enforce that policy judgment is to make them pay for trying.

Upvote 0

skullcrush

Kama 'a-ina Mau Loa
Oct 8, 2006
North Shore
✟7,963.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We don't want cops walking around acting like the politics patrol. One of the few ways to enforce that policy judgment is to make them pay for trying.

So this justifies the lawsuit? Should she get millions because she was subject to the emotional distress of a $100 ticket?

Upvote 0