New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so conservative, family members have defriended me on Facebook :)

I think the general trend of my views and concerns, especially in the fiscal arena put me on the conservative side of things.

But I honestly just have a different way of going about them that when it comes down to it I don't think most conservatives would much like.

Socially speaking, my faith constantly conflicts with a Libertarian nature in a lot of things.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought of an interesting question regarding woman pastors. What if someone was married by a woman pastor? Do you think God recognizes the marriage?

Yes because the community recognizes it as a marriage.

There is no magic formula for what makes a couple married verses unmarried.

Nearest I can tell biblically is that if you go through your culturual standard for marriage and the community recognizes the marriage, then God will also recognize the marriage.

God recognizes civil weddings. . . although getting married by a civil offical as opposed to by the church is not exactly a good way to testify to your faith.

Really Lutheran's don't tend to belive that anyone's personal qualifications make something valid or their lack thereof make something in-valid. What makes things valid is God's word. God's word contains no specific instructions in regards to weddings, but it is clear that married people always had community recognition as being married. So we just go with our culture's wedding traditions.

In terms of sacraments its God's word that makes something valid, and not the pastor or his ordination. However as part of good church order we don't belive that a person should perform sacraments without a regular call. *Although many Lutherans would make an exception for a baptism in emergency conditions where no ordained ministers are present or available.*

So there is nothing about a woman pastor that makes anything she does invalid. . . HOWEVER the capacity she is serving in is a capacity in which God has entirely reserved for men. So what ends up happening is the entire church is living in sin, in disobedience to God's clear cut commands. Usually almost always they do this because of worldly concerns... We live in a world that teaches that women can do everything a man can do. And by all worldly standards in many cases they can. . . But the problem is that the pastorial office was created by God and was created specifically for men to fulfill that office.

It seems awefully arrogent to say the least to tell God that we should decide the qualifications of the people to fulfill that office and ignore the qualifications that he gives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran

When someone, pastor or Judge, etc., marries a couple, they do so as agents of the state. While we in the church look at marriage differently than the world, the “licensing and marrying with a certificate” is done because the state recognizes that pastor/person as legitimate. It does that because a legitimate denomination has certified that the person is on the clergy roster. Being married by a woman pastor is not invalidated because of being a woman pastor. You can be legitimately married by a woman judge and the church recognizes that.

(PS: This is different than the arguments about whether sacraments are valid if done by a woman pastor... and no, I am not going to address that issue.)

Upvote 0

mdseverin

Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Word Alone
Jul 28, 2011
Aurora, IL
✟11,710.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

(PS: This is different than the arguments about whether sacraments are valid if done by a woman pastor... and no, I am not going to address that issue.)

That's an even better question that I never though of. The church I have attended for the past 4 years has been all men, but my prior church the senior pastor was a woman. Is it believed that communion only be given by a male ordained minister?

I have been to several churches where members of the congregation help out and distribute the communion. I know our ELCA church does, but I have been to Catholic mass as well where this was done.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's an even better question that I never though of. The church I have attended for the past 4 years has been all men, but my prior church the senior pastor was a woman. Is it believed that communion only be given by a male ordained minister?

Again this doesn't render the sacrament invalid. . . God's word makes a sacrament valid. Not the qualifications of the pastor.

I have been to several churches where members of the congregation help out and distribute the communion. I know our ELCA church does, but I have been to Catholic mass as well where this was done.

If I remember right. . . while there isn't actually anything wrong per se of women helping to distrubute communion, the LCMS recommends strongly that only men help to distribute communion so as to not confuse anyone.

Again only God's word makes the sacrament what it is.

But again, just because something is valid doesn't mean you are doing it correctly or properly.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's not answering the question. I would take it as a married man. Anyone else would be a false teacher.

:doh: It does answer the question. He asked about the passage concerning "husband of one wife". That's what it refers to, not that only married men can be pastors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Just thinking to myself again and was wondering: if the Bible says a pastor should be the husband of one wife, does that mean LCMS, WELS, and other confessional Lutherans only ordain married men?

They are not to practice polygamy.

or homosexuality.

That's not answering the question. I would take it as a married man. Anyone else would be a false teacher.

:doh: It does answer the question. He asked about the passage concerning "husband of one wife". That's what it refers to, not that only married men can be pastors.

:doh::doh::doh:

lux, you CAN'T be SERIOUS - you are supposedly a smart woman....you do this just to bait and antagonize......

Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well if you take the Bible at complete face value, a MAN OF ONE WIFE is just that. A married man with ONE WIFE. Not a divorcee, not a single man, not a polygamist, a MAN of ONE wife.

I don't take that view and openly welcome all who are called to preach, man or woman. But how can you be consistent. Are you making up rules that suit you or are you following the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, Lux, you're thinking that WE are reading it in the wrong light, but we aren't reading it in the light you think we are. As DaRev pointed out, the wording in that Titus scripture was to fight polygamy since marriage is for one man and one woman. It wasn't stating that a man had to have a wife in order to be an elder because it was directed toward the practice of polygamy. You're arguing the wrong thing in this case.

Upvote 0

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't imagine there's anyone left in this subforum of CF to present a different interpretation than what has been presented here.

MY suggestion would be to google the question and seek this perspective elsewhere.

you want a different interpretation other than the clear, concise Word of God?

wow, that speaks volumes.....

Upvote 0