USA
✟7,766.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I go to a small, private liberal arts college where, naturally, the vast majority of the people there are not Christian. I've tried to make friends with the people in the Christian organizations on our campus, but I found it very hard to do so, which is a whole 'nother story on its own. Most of my close friends aren't Christian, which isn't ideal for me, but I love them all regardless. However, when I think about the fact that they will go to Hell if they don't become a Christian, obviously it scares me.

I've grown up in the church for almost twenty years, yet I have never been properly instructed on how to talk to my friends about God. It also doesn't help that most of them are very cynical against Christianity and are very closed off to changing that. So far, I've been just trying to live as a witness through my actions and choices, but I don't think that's really getting anywhere with them. I don't want to just sit them down and go, "Hey! I'm gonna talk to you about Jesus!" of course because I know that won't go well.

I really care for my friends and their salvation, and I just want to know what else I can do besides pray that they'll have a change of heart soon.

T

Thankful For Grace

Dear BabyLightMyWay,

Hang in there. Prayer is the most important thing you can do for your friends, and the second thing is to live the Life before them. The third is to be ready to speak Truth to them at a moment's notice, whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Recently, I had a lifelong friend say to me, "I think there are many ways to God, and I embrace all of them."

I responded, "Not me--I am a sinner and I need a Savior. I need Jesus Christ to save me from my sins."

Just a small statement, but I am praying that it will take root and bring about a realization that she, too, needs to be saved from her sins.

Stay true to Jesus Christ--read His Word and be ready to defend your faith based on what the scripture teaches. It is hard to hold forth the Light in the midst of darkness, but it will make your life count, for eternity.

Praying for you,

tfg

I go to a small, private liberal arts college where, naturally, the vast majority of the people there are not Christian. I've tried to make friends with the people in the Christian organizations on our campus, but I found it very hard to do so, which is a whole 'nother story on its own. Most of my close friends aren't Christian, which isn't ideal for me, but I love them all regardless. However, when I think about the fact that they will go to Hell if they don't become a Christian, obviously it scares me.

I've grown up in the church for almost twenty years, yet I have never been properly instructed on how to talk to my friends about God. It also doesn't help that most of them are very cynical against Christianity and are very closed off to changing that. So far, I've been just trying to live as a witness through my actions and choices, but I don't think that's really getting anywhere with them. I don't want to just sit them down and go, "Hey! I'm gonna talk to you about Jesus!" of course because I know that won't go well.

I really care for my friends and their salvation, and I just want to know what else I can do besides pray that they'll have a change of heart soon.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2010
✟15,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi sister,:wave:

Coming from someone that is in college as well, I can relate to your current situation. One thing that I would suggest is that you sit down with them and ask them why they don't believe, often times this will give you their direct problems and questions that they have. Some may say that they do not believe because of evil and suffering and that a just and loving God cannot allow these things to happen, where others may say that they don't believe due to past experiences in Church. Really, they will all vary, but can all be answered. After asking them, let them know that you will look these questions up for them and get back to them on it.

One thing that stands out to non-believers is the Christian lifestyle compared to the social norm. We don't do what others do because we aren't supposed to reflect the world, but instead Jesus Christ and the way He had lived. This bars us from a lot of parties and some social events on campus, but instead spend the time studying your Bible, and thinking upon the Lord.

I feel that Christian apologetics may help aid you, so check out books and youtube some speeches made by Ravi Zacharias. I'm currently reading his book "Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend" another one that my friend suggested to me by the same author was "Can Man Live Without God?". Another is by C.S. Lewis (The Narnia guy) called "Mere Christianity" as well as works by Pastor John Piper. Just check out your local book store for these authors and google some other ones that may be beneficial to you.

Sorry for the eye-strainer, but I have one last question. Why aren't you able to make friends among the Christian groups?

Upvote 0

BabyLightMyWay

My happiness is found in less of me & more
Nov 9, 2008
USA
✟7,766.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry for the eye-strainer, but I have one last question. Why aren't you able to make friends among the Christian groups?

This is a reallyyyy long story, but I'll tell part of it.

There are two Christian groups on my campus. The reason there are two is because one broke off after the other one went a direction many students did not like. I happened to be a member of both of these groups. We'll call the original group Group 1 and the break-off group Group 2.

I became a part of both groups at the same time. In Group 2, I really appreciated that the atmosphere was a lot like the youth groups I grew up with. However, the leadership team was very, very clique-y. I hate when people use that as an excuse, but it was really bad in this group. I went to every meeting for a semester, constantly went to events with them outside of their meetings, and tried to befriend a few of the people in the group, but they were not very warm or welcoming to me as a whole. I even went on a retreat with them and felt like they didn't want me there. They were not open to my suggestions or responsive to my ideas... It was a waste, I felt.

Group 1 is a really, really long story. I'll try to summarize it. I met a guy who was a part of both groups (moreso Group 2) and we almost dated countless times during the school year. I became pretty close with Group 1 during the year, and went on one of their retreats which I absolutely loved. However, this guy I mentioned had severe anxiety problems which eventually turned into him abusing me physically, verbally, and emotionally. When I went to the leader for Group 1 (who was employed by the national organization behind this group and therefore in his 30's), he and his wife said they'd help us out as best as they could. We had gone to them with just general relationship troubles in the past so when I told them what this guy was doing, I expected them to convict him on how much he hurt me and help me get the help I needed to recover. That did not happen. Long story short, they lied to my mother about getting me help, called me a bad Christian for not accepting their awful advice, and worst of all, promoted this abusive guy to president of the organization. I was so devastated, I could not come back to the group.

So outside of these two organizations, it's been very difficult for me to find Christians. My church back home has been wonderful and welcoming, as usual, but I know it's going to be tough leaving good Christian friends behind when I go back to school. I probably will give Group 2 a shot again, but I'm not sure if things will be any better.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2010
✟15,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well, everyone's idea of 'bad' and 'good' these days are different. What was their awful advice, exactly?

I can see that the guy had some serious issues and yes, the couple should have convicted him. However, did the boy apologize or anything? Did he, himself fell convicted you think?

Upvote 0

BabyLightMyWay

My happiness is found in less of me & more
Nov 9, 2008
USA
✟7,766.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, he never apologized. He blamed most of it on me.

And I honestly can't remember exactly what they said, but I can remember running it by several Christians and leaders in my church and they very much disliked what they heard. Sorry I can't remember. That month was such a blur to me. Everything happened really fast and really badly.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear BabyLightMyWay. Jesus told the Lawyer who asked Him: " Which is the first and most important Commandment?" Jesus answered: " Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like unto it. Love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Jesus also told us: " if you love me you follow my Commandments." To love selflessly, with no strings attached, is our great weapon. All you know and all you meet, treat them as you would like to be treated, and when an occasion arises, or the Holy Spirit leads you, witness with love and forgiveness. Otherwise just show love, kindness, consideration, or a helping hand, (when needed). Be yourself, BabyLightMyWay. I say this with love. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Reactions: Peripatetic
Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2010
✟15,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, he never apologized. He blamed most of it on me.

And I honestly can't remember exactly what they said, but I can remember running it by several Christians and leaders in my church and they very much disliked what they heard. Sorry I can't remember. That month was such a blur to me. Everything happened really fast and really badly.

Well, are there any other Christian groups on campus or were those the only two? The cliquish one sounds like it could be a bit better, but creating cliques is definitely not a Christian act. Cliques tend to ostracize like it made you feel, and we should be the most accepting out of all peoples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums