With all your heart?

Can you love God with all of your heart?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says with all heart, soul and mind. I don't think I have done that, except possibly God.

Actually, the full version of the 1st greatest commandment is found in Mark 12:29-30, brother.

“The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30).

Broken down, the first greatest commandment looks like this:

#1. Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord
#2. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
#3. You shall love the Lord your God with all your soul,
#4. You shall love the Lord your God with all your mind,
#5. You shall love the Lord your God with all your strength.

Side Note:

I believe the first part applies to both the believing Jew and Gentile. For one can be a Jew inwardly by circumcising their heart (See: Romans 2:29).

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You would need experiences from God and mature, because he has to show to you his love first for you to love him with all your heart, its natural to love a parent or someone who interacts with you and is good. Some people think having experiences with God is kind of bad in some sense, 'live by faith not by sight' uffff, you can have more faith and be better if God does things.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The flesh prevents us from doing this. The command to love God was said to bury us under its impossibility so we would realize our need for God's grace and mercy.

I must have missed that secret chapter of the Bible where Jesus makes this point after He gave us His commandments. Can you point me to where Jesus concludes with this false line of thinking?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, the full version of the 1st greatest commandment is found in Mark 12:29-30, brother.

“The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30).

Broken down, the first greatest commandment looks like this:

#1. Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord
#2. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
#3. You shall love the Lord your God with all your soul,
#4. You shall love the Lord your God with all your mind,
#5. You shall love the Lord your God with all your strength.

Side Note:

I believe the first part applies to both the believing Jew and Gentile. For one can be a Jew inwardly by circumcising their heart (See: Romans 2:29).

The first part?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1) Because our love of ourself will always get in the way of accomplishing it.
2) Because we aren't now capable of knowing God intimately enough to be overwhelmed by Who He Is.
3) Because God is not vulnerable in our eyes and we love those that are vulnerable more than others. Perhaps because we do not feel they are capable of harming us.

I suppose there are more reasons but basically it is because we as flawed human beings always withhold at least some part of our heart.

Then why on Earth would God give us a command that we could not possibly do?
That would make God out to be dishonest in my opinion if He commanded us to do things that were impossible. For if I commanded a heavy man to stand on his pinky finger, I would be giving him instructions that I know to be as false and impossible for him to do. God does not give us false instructions or bad ones for that matter. That's what people are essentially saying when they say we cannot obey God's commands. They are saying His instructions or commands are faulty. They are saying His Word is wrong. As if God can make mistakes? Seriously?

full

Some people just need to simply believe what is plainly written. For...
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Scripture, sin is described many ways: Fallen short of the glory of God. Rebellion against God. Failure to fulfill the law in any respect is transgression against the whole law. But I don't remember hearing it called sin because we could have done otherwise.

Even in secular matters, ignorance of the law is no excuse. And that is not even only about moral things. Why would we not think it sin to merely fail to live up to God's every command? Ignorance of the command is not an excuse. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. Thank God he looks on the heart to judge the deeds, but remember HE knows. HE is just, thoroughly and precisely just.

I asked Hamster why Jesus would tell us to do something (love God with all our heart) if we can't do it. His answer was:
Hamster said:
It humbles us and causes us to rely on His works, not ours.

Do you have the same answer or another one?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who would then the other four commands be for?

Well, I said parts, and not individual commands. I broken them up by number from the 1st greatest commandment (i.e. Love God). Sort of like part 1, part 2, etc. It does not mean they are actually separate. They are kind of like sub commandments that make up the whole one command. But it's still just one command but it's broken up into parts or pieces so as to accomplish the goal or task of the overall command.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@zoidar

If we cannot obey the 1st greatest commandment, then Jesus and or His followers would have talked about how we cannot keep the Lord Jesus' commands. But we do not read anything about this in Scripture. On the contrary, Paul says if any does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ, and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (See: 1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I said parts, and not individual commands. I broken them up by number from the 1st greatest commandment (i.e. Love God). Sort of like part 1, part 2, etc. It does not mean they are actually separate. They are kind of like sub commandments that make up the whole one command. But it's still just one command but it's broken up into parts or pieces so as to accomplish the goal or task of the overall command.

I think I follow, then the greatest command with its sub commands are equally for both Jew and Gentile?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,048.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right, surely Jesus and or His followers would have talked about how we cannot keep the Lord Jesus' commands.

One might think so, yes!

I think that theology is taken from Paul and then applied to Jesus' teaching, which I believe is a mistake.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think I follow, then the greatest command and sub commands are equally for both Jew and Gentile?

Mark 12:29-30 lists the full version of the 1st greatest commandment to love God. This 1st greatest commandment to love God has a five part instruction. These are not separate commands. Some of God's commands in the New Testament involve various instructions to accomplish that one command. The 1st greatest commandment is one of them, but it is not the only one that does so.

But does the 1st greatest commandment apply to both the believing Jew and Gentile? Absolutely!

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Further to my previous comment, God will not demand anything of us without giving us grace to comply. Just because someone sins, it does not demonstrate that he does not love God. It proves that he has not yet been perfected.
Of course he’s not perfected. And if you’ll read what I’ve been saying, I’m not saying that we don’t love God because we sin. I’m saying that we don’t love God with all our heart at the moments that we sin.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have no doubt my children love me with all their heart. My grand children also. Does that mean they are perfect? No Does that mean they always follow instructions and do my will? No. Does that mean there are times they are mean, disrespectful and defiant - Yes.

Believe it or not, there have been times that their actions and attitudes effected their ability to sit down comfortably.

But their love for me, and mine for them never changed. Love that is performance based is a sign of manipulation.

Jesus said in John 14:15 "if you love me, keep My commandments." Jesus did not say if you keep my commandments I will love you.

Righteousness and obedience is an expression of our love. That is learned and enhanced AFTER we have fallen in love with Him.
Disobedience is an act of rebellion. Who are you rebelling against when you sin?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, but Jesus is. He is my life. I suffer during the downtimes but God is not looking at me to perform. He already knows what I'm like. That's why He included me in the death of Christ. Satan's main attack on Christians is to get them to consider themselves apart from Christ. That is a lie. God puts us into Christ and no one can take us out again. While we abide in that truth, we are safe.
This isn’t the point of the thread. This isn’t about our position with God. The OP is the point of the thread.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I must have missed that secret chapter of the Bible where Jesus makes this point after He gave us His commandments. Can you point me to where Jesus concludes with this false line of thinking?
If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
— Romans 12:18

You won’t even quote me, and I’m the OP. So are you being obedient to this command?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.