With all your heart?

Can you love God with all of your heart?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is true that the official making of TULIP was after John Calvini's death by the second Synod of Dort.

The theology of Calvinism has been immortalized in the acronym TULIP, which states the five essential doctrines of Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistible grace, and Perseverance of the saints. These were detailed after Calvin's death in the Second Synod of Dort in 1618–1619 against the opposing Five Articles of Remonstrance which followed the theology of Jacobus Armenius.​

But we have to understand that John Calvin helped laid the groundwork for such a teaching, though.

Modern Reformed theology continues to assert these five points of Calvinism,[6] as a simple summary of the soteriological doctrines which Calvin espoused and credited to Augustine.
For why else would it be called Calvinism?

Source:
Augustinian Calvinism - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there a place in the bible where all the commandments are listed?

They're spread out in different documents.

Besides the commandments in the Old Covenant, there are also +/- 1,000 commands in the New Covenant Writings.

• Agree
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
chrome_2020-12-18_11-26-05.png

@GDL : here is a list of all those commandments; hopefully the main poster doesn't mind if I share.

@alllivesmatter check this website out. The picture above is what you will be greeted to in a pdf format.
https://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201407/r1308729_17984331.pdf

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a question: Is loving your neighbor, loving God with your heart?

No! The greatest commands are two, not one.

Actually that was a good question! They are 2 different commands, but, with a little clarification, I would have answered, yes & no.

When Jesus was asked about the greatest commandment, He normally gave the 1st & then added the second. They go together. Since love for God is keeping His commandments, and His commandments include love for neighbor, there's no way to love God without loving neighbor & vice-versa.

In 1 John 4 & 5, John ties together love for God to love for fellow-Christians in the same manner & says there's no way to love God without loving His children & vice-versa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 291034

@GDL : here is a list of all those commandments; hopefully the main poster doesn't mind if I share.

@alllivesmatter check this website out. The picture above is what you will be greeted to in a pdf format.

Yes, I provied this list for him already. Granted, I don't actually agree with everything this church believes. I also do not agree with the format of these commands, either. A lot of them are forced and man made. The church also took these commands from the work of Finnis Jennings Dake. So it's not even their work. I merely provided it as a helpful guide in doing their own study on God's New Testament commandments.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for that link!!

Years ago, after hearing a couple teachers say they thought they had seen someone put together such information, but to my amazement these teachers never thought it important enough to do so themselves, or to get copies of the work, I did it myself.

I'm in the same ballpark as this list, numbers-wise: There are 1,000+ imperative commands; when we strip narrative out, there are 800+. There are also other forms of Greek grammar that are commands & there are Apostolic summons, which I also view as essentially being commands. Counting these, I recall the 1,000+ going higher.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be reviewing it over time. IMO, every Christian should be doing the same.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I provied this list for him already. Granted, I don't actually agree with everything this church believes. I also do not agree with the format of these commands, either. A lot of them are forced and man made. The church also took these commands from the work of Finnis Jennings Dake. So it's not even their work. I merely provided it as a helpful guide in doing their own study on God's New Testament commandments.

Then Thank you also! I didn't recall the provision.

Interesting thoughts & background.

In my own compilations and studies, I recall looking forward to what they would teach me, and then being a bit surprised at what they didn't teach me.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They're spread out in different documents.

Besides the commandments in the Old Covenant, there are also +/- 1,000 commands in the New Covenant Writings.

I have been doing a deep New Testament commands study over the past few years. I only include commands that are actually called a command, or when we see the active verb use telling us to do something directly. What is tricky is that some commands have several different sub commands packed within one overall command. We see this in the 1st greatest commandment. For in the 1st greatest commandment, we see a five part instruction.

Anyways, by my count so far, there is only about 400 and some commands to my count so far. I am double checking my list again in several ways to make it as accurate as possible. The number could change when I am done double checking my list.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then Thank you also! I didn't recall the provision.

Interesting thoughts & background.

In my own compilations and studies, I recall looking forward to what they would teach me, and then being a bit surprised at what they didn't teach me.

Your welcome. I look forward to sharing my list when it is perfected.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been doing a deep New Testament commands study over the past few years. I only include commands that are actually called a command, or when we see the active verb use telling us to do something directly. What is tricky is that some commands have several different sub commands packed within one overall command. We see this in the 1st greatest commandment. For in the 1st greatest commandment, we see a five part instruction.

Anyways, by my count so far, there is only about 400 some commands to my count so far. I am double checking my list again in several ways to make it as accurate as possible.

I did this compilation & study some years back, taught it for awhile, and still jump back into it at times to continue.

There are not only the imperative mood commands, but also hortatory subjunctives, infinitive commands, and such, but I also began to see how Apostolic summons & many of the conditional clauses might just as well be considered. If an Apostle calls us along side of him, it's best & even imperative to heed the call. If a conditional clause makes it clear we should be making a certain choice, then it's best & even imperative to make that choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did this compilation & study some years back, taught it for awhile, and still jump back into it at times to continue.

There are not only the imperative mood commands, but also hortatory subjunctives, infinitive commands, and such, but I also began to see how Apostolic summons & many of the conditional clauses might just as well be considered. If an Apostle calls us along side of him, it's best & even imperative to heed the call. If a conditional clause makes it clear we should be making a certain choice, then it's best & even imperative to make that choice.

In the list of New Testament Commands I am perfecting was not to make commands that is not clear by the verbage by what our English Bibles say. While I believe others could be more subtle instructions in what God desires us to do, I wanted to be faithful to what language means. A command in my view is anything that is:

(a) Called a command (obviously).
(b) Verbage that makes it clear it is a command (Like: Thou shalt not steal, Follow me, Believe the gospel, etc.). An action verb spoken direct to us the reader is a command. It's like when a military commander is giving an order to his troops. There is a clear difference between an explicit order by the wording used, vs. wording which is more of a subtle instruction that God wants us to do. “If statements” in the Bible do not fall under a command in my opinion, but more under something that is wise instruction. They could still be things God desires us to do strongly, though. Sometimes God does not have to always hit us over the head with a direct order. God also tells us about the reality of how things are.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the list of New Testament Commands I am perfecting was not to make commands that is not clear by the verbage by what our English Bibles say.

Yes, to each their own, as they say.

My preference & goal is to be comprehensive. Thus, all imperative mood commands (after stripping-out narrative) & other grammatical forms of commands, and then identifying anything that says we have a [correct] choice to make.

And, as an example, what are you doing with English translations that say, "Let us..."? These are 3rd person plural [explicit] commands that English translations make sound like suggestions. When I'm working on language like this, I normally clarify these commands with a translations such as, "we are commanded to..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It’s run it’s course, and is now off topic. I’ve requested it to be closed.
I am very sorry, I hope you will forgive me for taking it off topic.:(

I wish you would leave it as I think we got the message and there are at least three that are still arguing it out, lol. You don't want to leave it up in the air for them do you and how can you help them with their decision if you close it?:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 291034

Thank you both for the link and
Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear!
The link didn't work for me but I will keep trying:)in post 523
Sorry for the repeats, I am having problems.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.