The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im just interested in what God thinks and He does say to stay away from that stuff. He doesnt like it and its unnecessary.

That people are fascinated shows what a spell enchanters and diviners and witches and wizards cast over people, its actually seducing spirits behind it all.
I dont think Gods mind has changed about that and when people invite them in by opening doorways to the occult then wonder why their life isnt turning out right, that could be the reason.

In the book of acts they burned occult books. Also Peter I think it was cast demons out of a girl who was into divination.

Completely see your point here. But I wouldn't throw things such as fictional fantasy tales, whether in the form of literature or cinematic entertainment, like HP or LOTR for example, into the same boat as doorways into the occult. Because they are not.

A book or film that is defensive, persuasive, or more importantly instructive on becoming a witch and delves into the use of witchcraft would classify as something that could possibly be a doorway into the occult. Obviously, as a Christian and someone who has a conviction against such things, it would be wise to refrain from ^those books/films.

My favorite TV show is Once Upon a Time (lol, anything to bring up OUAT), which is literally nothing but fantasy tales chock full of magic, spells, curses, fairies, and all that fun stuff. But it's purely fiction and I'm in no way swayed towards embracing the occult now than I was before I first watched OUAT (or even HP and LOTR for that matter).

It's fine for you to feel strongly about this, GB. And if you personally sense within yourself that you would be negatively affected by watching or reading something that is of a fantasy genre and entails magic, then you're right to refrain from engaging in such entertainment.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
I had a Christian friend who was once invited to an Ouija Board party. Her friends tell her about how they did it before and the "spirits" sent them messages by moving the object around.

My Christian friend told them: If you guys want something to happen, you are better off not inviting me."
They: Why?
My Christian Friend: Because I believe in Jesus and I have the Holy Spirit. If I am there nothing will move on the board.
They: Oh really? Ok let's try.

So they went and set everything up. That night absolutely nothing happened.

I do not recommend any Christian trying this. Do not take the protection from Jesus for granted. I am just telling a story.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
OP mentioned Star Wars. I think in that universe "The Force" is effectively a god. The Force gives power to whoever it wills. The Force seeks balance between the light side and the dark side.

What a terrible god!

If you think about it, the force is very scary. It manipulate people to do things. Now in the movie the good was called good and righteous. However if you actually look at The Force you will see that The Force couldn't care less. There is no good or evil with The Force really. The Force just seeks balance. When the good guys are winning, The Force helps the evil side. When the Dark Side is winning, The Force helps the Light Side.

So both the good and bad sides just get manipulated and die, while The Force laughs at all of it. What's the point of even dying for this cause if The Force just keep seeking balance?

Let's say you are a Jedi and you have to fight this evil sith. The best choice for you is the walk away. Why? Because you don't have to worry about that sith. The Force will sent someone else to kill that sith eventually. Why risk your life?

In fact if you want to end the Dark Side rule as soon as possible, go join the Dark Side altogether. Make the Dark Side as powerful as possible. Then to balance The Force must react rapidly and extremely to help the Light Side. Isn't this twisted?

Why would the good guys die and gets to be one with The Force? The Force couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
My Christian Friend: Because I believe in Jesus and I have the Holy Spirit. If I am there nothing will move on the board.
They: Oh really? Ok let's try.

So they went and set everything up. That night absolutely nothing happened.
It sounds like you actually think there were spirits moving it for other people, rather than the difference between this particular person and the other players being psychological. :scratch:

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Again, I think there is a different between real life occultism and the worship of Satan, demons, etc and this stuff you see in movies. It does not glorify the devil. It isn't even aligned the same way. To say all magic portrayed in movies is the same stuff you see voodoo priests doing or whatever just isn't accurate. They're stories. That's it. Not everything is cut and dry, black and white...honors God or honors Satan ONLY. Doesn't work that way and God understands that.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If reading fiction about magic is bad, then reading fiction about any sin is bad. For example, if one reads a book where there is adultery or murder.

I think the argument is about it being displayed in a positive light.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the argument is about it being displayed in a positive light.

Authors who present other sins in a positive light would have to be burned as well. So magic in a bad light would be fine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Authors who present other sins in a positive light would have to be burned as well. So magic in a bad light would be fine?

Probably.

The Harry Potter series might have been slightly lef off the hook if the book series ended with Conservative Christians finding a way into Hogwarts and stoning Harry Potter to death.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
It sounds like you actually think there were spirits moving it for other people, rather than the difference between this particular person and the other players being psychological. :scratch:

I would rather not try and never find out how Ouija and other occult things actually works. If God calls us to confront some kind of spirit, let's pray that God will empower us to do so. But never seek these kind of confrontations. Demons are powerful.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
On the topic of the occult, the recent move The Witch is pretty good. I don't want to spoil too much. Basically the family believes in salvation by works and living a sinless life. They believe God will give them protection because they are so holy. They judge each other and calling each other the devil. And that prove to be their downfall.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Probably.

The Harry Potter series might have been slightly lef off the hook if the book series ended with Conservative Christians finding a way into Hogwarts and stoning Harry Potter to death.

I can't, guys. Lol :ahah:

Reactions: Boogeyman07
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would rather not try and never find out how Ouija and other occult things actually works. If God calls us to confront some kind of spirit, let's pray that God will empower us to do so. But never seek these kind of confrontations. Demons are powerful.

Here's how they work...

"The short version is: things move when we push them. The long version is a lot more interesting.

Scientists call it the ideomotor effect. Essentially, the ideomotion theory claims the unconscious mind can cause the body to move without the conscious mind knowing about it [source: Stafford].

The pregnant woman's "pendulum test" for her baby's gender is a good example of ideomotion. In this test, she holds a string weighted with a ring over her belly and waits for it to move on its own. Back-and-forth swinging means a boy; circular motion means a girl. Without her consciously willing it, her finger muscles make tiny movements, which will build up until the pendulum starts to swing in one direction or the other.
In a much later study that focused specifically on the Ouija board, published by psychologists at the University of British Columbia in 2012, researchers posited the effect is strongest when multiple people have their fingers on the planchette. Each blindfolded subject was told he or she was one of two people touching the pointer, and as the planchette moved, the subject often claimed the other player was pushing it -- when in fact there was no other player involved [source: Palmer]. A person's conscious belief that she is not moving the pointer, they say, enhances her unconscious mind's ability to trigger the movement without her knowing [source:Wilson].

In this way, the game's "two or more players" instruction makes a lot of sense: The more people touching the pointer, the easier it is to believe you aren't moving it. Often, the player or players have a preference for a specific outcome and unconsciously move the planchette in the desired direction.

Not that it always moves. Or spells something remotely intelligible.

Here's one test to try: If you blindfold your players and turn the board 90 degrees (to foil layout memorization), the nonsensical results will tend to discourage a mystical explanation [source: Eberle]."

Source: http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/unexplained-phenomena/ouija-boards3.htm

That also explains why it didn't move when he tried it, he believed it would not move, which in turn influenced everyone else's beliefs.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
witches and wizards absolutely believe in salvation by works..to satan.
They would never profess Jesus Christ or if they did it would be an imposter, i.e 'the christ'.
I wouldn't have anything to do with it, even though popular culture glorifies them so much.

Reactions: oldthennew
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It reminds me of this joke I heard: You know you were home schooled when the magic in Harry Potter is evil, but the magic in LOTR is okay haha.
lol.
LOTR is the worst.
People seem to get obsessed with that one.

I know cos I live in the country where it was filmed.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
mythology is a subconscious thing in humanity. in some ways not knowing fully what you create might make you more open to deeper spiritual revelations hidden in the narratives of your story. the subconscious mind thinks a lot more than the conscious could filter out. the parables of Jesus lead one to contemplation and you might start to see spiritual truths in more places than the bible seeing as God is the Lord of the entire universe.

Upvote 0