Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, my immediate disclaimer is that I am aware that there is a "Sacrament/Ordinance" sub-forum, but I think I will receive more responses with this post here. :)

The use of wine vs. grape juice for communion has, in recent times, become one of my faith stumbling blocks as I try to seek a faith home.

I have only ever been a member of two churches in my Christian walk - & both were Wesleyan oriented or shared Wesleyan heritage, so grape juice was used for communion. Recently, however, I have begun to question the use of juice over wine, which would be more traditionally correct for the sacrament. Still, grapes are "fruit of the vine" whether there remains an alcohol content or not in making a drink - so wine or juice is still from grapes.

So, what say you? If you believe it should be wine or grape juice, can you please make your case for why?

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The simple answer is that they didn't have grape juice back then. Everything was fermented, so it had to be wine that Jesus used at the Last Supper.

Given that, why would anyone want to substitute grape juice?

Allergies? One of my closest friends is allergic to most wines, but can take communion without any issues. When people tell me they don't like taking common cup at communion because of germs, I ask them if they really think they're going to get sick from the Lord's Supper.

Upvote 0

Adam Warlock

Feb 7, 2011
✟14,279.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The simple answer is that they didn't have grape juice back then. Everything was fermented, so it had to be wine that Jesus used at the Last Supper.

Given that, why would anyone want to substitute grape juice?...
100% this. All because we can do something different doesn't mean that we should. Wine is what Christ used, wine is what the Early Church used, wine is what all Christians used until extremely recent times (are we ready to say that ALL of them were wrong?), and recent American ideas do not change those facts. We should listen to the biblical and historical witness, not the Temperance era. No offense meant to anyone.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay, my immediate disclaimer is that I am aware that there is a "Sacrament/Ordinance" sub-forum, but I think I will receive more responses with this post here. :)

The use of wine vs. grape juice for communion has, in recent times, become one of my faith stumbling blocks as I try to seek a faith home.

I have only ever been a member of two churches in my Christian walk - & both were Wesleyan oriented or shared Wesleyan heritage, so grape juice was used for communion. Recently, however, I have begun to question the use of juice over wine, which would be more traditionally correct for the sacrament. Still, grapes are "fruit of the vine" whether there remains an alcohol content or not in making a drink - so wine or juice is still from grapes.

So, what say you? If you believe it should be wine or grape juice, can you please make your case for why?

Historically, it was always wine, and the reason for that is because grape juice as we have it today never existed back then.

Jesus Himself, according to the Chief Steward in His first miracle, turned water into not just any wine, but really GOOD wine. Back then, they usually diluted wine, but Jesus makes pure wine; undiluted.

Would Jesus do this if alcohol was forbidden?

I might add that both John and Charles Wesley, being good Anglican priests right to the end, used only wine for Holy Communion.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible says wine and drinking alcohol is not a sin so trying to insinuate that it was actually grape juice has no backing. You can also refer to the writings of the earliest Christians as well and they were using wine so this would be what they learned from the apostles.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My church and the one prior offer[ed] both wine and grape juice. Just like we also have the option to either intinct or take the bread and cup separately. At my previous church intinction wasn't an option, rather one could receive from the common cup or go up to the altar rail with one of those communion shot glasses.

But that's all neither here nor there I guess. I'd say as long as it's from the vine it's acceptable. Whether it's fermented or pasteurized it's still the fruit of the vine. My preference is to stick with tradition and receive wine because it's what has always been used in the Lord's Supper as it's what our Lord Himself offered at His Last Supper when He instituted His Holy Meal, with pasteurized grape juice not available until modern times.

Whether we use white wine or red wine, or whether it's fermented or unfermented, whether it's leavened or unleavened bread--all these things kind of fall under the category of adiaphora. Let each be convinced in his/her own mind, abiding by conscience sort of deal--to the glory of God.

Now if you want to start using vodka and cheetos, well that's kind of crossing the line a bit over to the realm of silly.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks y'all. :)

I do think historically & traditionally, wine is the deal - but I just don't know if using grape juice is a church "deal breaker" for me. I have only ever had grape juice for communion, which works out for someone who really doesn't like wine at all, lol. I certainly don't think alcohol is sinful or anything like that, just trying to think about anything & everything on my church seeking journey.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So grape juice turns into wine via fermentation via naturally occurring yeast (but no added yeast (against Passover idea)).
Fermentation in winemaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The symbolism is interesting of bread and wine.

Bread unleavened, "dead" body.
Wine leavened, "alive" spirit.

Does it matter if you reverse that?

Bread leavened.
Wine unleavened (grape juice).

Probably doesn't, if the symbolism has been lost in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter if it's unfermented grape juice or fermented grape juice. The power is in the story, not the props. Personally I would favor using unfermented grape juice due to the weakness of others. There are some who believe drinking fermented wine is a sin and there are others who struggle with alcoholism. It's important not to be a stumbling block.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Grape juice, wine..it's all the same to me.

Personally, would prefer grape juice as I'm allergic to wine and also don't drink alcohol.

Jesus used wine. If it does not matter to you to follow the example set by Jesus it ought to.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter if it's unfermented grape juice or fermented grape juice. The power is in the story, not the props.

Not really. The Last Supper was a highly symbolic restructuring of the Passover meal which required certain features. Since Jesus commanded his disciples to repeat the Supper, it is hard to imagine how it would be possible to do that by, for example, gathering to think about it only. OR, for that matter, to have a round of pizza and beer and call it a re-enactment of the Lord's Supper as we were instructed to do.

Personally I would favor using unfermented grape juice due to the weakness of others.
Chances are, there are few people who are going to be tempted to get drunk by seeing a row of people receive a tiny sip of any particular fluid.

It may be that it doesn't matter much whether wine or juice is used, but what Jesus used was certainly wine, so it makes sense to use wine for this purpose ourselves, perhaps making provision for the occasional person who cannot.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I consider it a point of adiaphora as well.

I would note that Justin Martyr reported in the 2nd century that they cut their wine with water during their services. Other reading I've done indicates that cutting the wine with water was the common way of taking it during meals.

Or if we take 1 Timothy 5 into consideration, maybe they were cutting their water with wine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Wine. Clearly it was wine. Clearly the Christians have always used wine. Clearly there is no reason to innovate.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I would note that Justin Martyr reported in the 2nd century that they cut their wine with water during their services.
so....wine, then.

Other reading I've done indicates that cutting the wine with water was the common way of taking it during meals.
Very true and widely recognized. But that still leaves wine, not juice.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so....wine, then.

Very true and widely recognized. But that still leaves wine, not juice.

Oh, yeah, wine for sure. Justin Martyr's comments were to Caesar specifically to counter accusations that the Christian meetings were besotted orgies.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would note that Justin Martyr reported in the 2nd century that they cut their wine with water during their services. Other reading I've done indicates that cutting the wine with water was the common way of taking it during meals.

Or if we take 1 Timothy 5 into consideration, maybe they were cutting their water with wine.

You don't have to go back to Justin Martyr to find this - that is the way it is still done today.

Upvote 0