Visit site
✟15,396.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the first thing to try is if you have a windows install CD just stick that in there, restart, and then select the option to repair the windows installation. Also, based on my googling I'm getting that this is windows 2000? Did you just recently make any changes to anything? new software just installed, windows updates, anything like that?

might also check Microsoft's support article on it, though it looks a little sparse. Or possible This site, looks like some people having similar problems. good luck

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It could be 2000 or XP. First of all, is the hard drive old? If it is, and this happened all of a sudden, it may be beginning to die - especially if you hear it making sounds it never did before. If this is the case, you need to hook it up as a slave drive and get your data copied off of there ASAP.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are you in the Recovery Console? You should be if you hit R during setup and it took you to a command line.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 (if d:\ is your CD/DVD drive). Tell it you do want to overwrite.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Are you in the Recovery Console? You should be if you hit R during setup and it took you to a command line.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 (if d:\ is your CD/DVD drive). Tell it you do want to overwrite.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

I don't think that code is correct. I did it over and over again and could not get it to allow me to select yes or no. It just told me "The system cannot find the file or directory specified"

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,769.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that code is correct. I did it over and over again and could not get it to allow me to select yes or no. It just told me "The system cannot find the file or directory specified"

The path is correct. Can you change to the System32 directory? Type cd system32 and see if it gets you in there. If that folder is disappearing, you're in trouble.

Upvote 0

aReformedPatriot

Ron Paul for President!
Oct 30, 2004
Visit site
✟13,811.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
The path is correct. Can you change to the System32 directory? Type cd system32 and see if it gets you in there. If that folder is disappearing, you're in trouble.

I think my hard drive is shot

Ran chkdsk /r and it would not get past 51%

It said something along the lines of "1 or more critical files is corrupted and unrecoverable"

When I type C: dir I can see all my stuff. I just dont know how to get it off there.

Its a laptop harddrive. Can I plug it into my desktop?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think my hard drive is shot

Ran chkdsk /r and it would not get past 51%

It said something along the lines of "1 or more critical files is corrupted and unrecoverable"

When I type C: dir I can see all my stuff. I just dont know how to get it off there.

Its a laptop harddrive. Can I plug it into my desktop?
Yes you can plug it into your desktop.

You can go two directions, Simple & Hard.

1) Simple
Get a USB Case for Laptop Harddrives (Should run about $10-$20), now your desktop may still have problems with it, but you may still be able to recover your data.

2) Get an IDE Adaptor (it's a small device that connects between your IDE Cable & the Laptop drive)

I'd go with the USB Case
Something Like this
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...0_Aluminum_Enclosure_For_2_5_inch_Hard_Drives
fee40333-dbef-4a82-8649-e4f269d7bd5f.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums