Twitter Files Hearing and repercussions.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The journalists have released their findings in numerous Twitter threads. They explored the behind-the-scenes communications regarding the censorship of the New York Post's Hunter Biden laptop story and the banning of former President Donald Trump. Other threads allege the widespread censoring of conservatives was privately urged by some members of the government.

MATT TAIBBI, "THE TWITTER FILES": I’ve been a reporter for over 30 years, and an advocate for the First Amendment. Much of that time was spent at Rolling Stone magazine.​
Ranking member Plaskett, I'm not a so-called journalist. I’ve won the National Magazine Award, the I.F. Stone Award for independent journalism, and I've written ten books, including four New York Times bestsellers. I’m now the editor of the online magazine Racket, on the independent platform Substack.​
I am here today because of a series of events that began late last year when I received a note from a source online.​
A week later, the first of what became known as the "Twitter Files" reports came out. To say these attracted intense public interest would be an understatement. My computer looked like a slot machine as just the first tweet about the blockage of the Hunter Biden laptop story registered 143 million impressions and 30 million engagements.

But it wasn’t until a week after the first report, after Michael Shellenberger, Bari Weiss, and other researchers joined the search of the "Files," that we started to grasp the significance of this story.

What we found in the "Files" was a sweeping effort to reverse that promise, and use machine learning and other tools to turn the internet into an instrument of censorship and social control. Unfortunately, our own government appears to be playing a lead role.

We saw the first hints in communications between Twitter executives before the 2020 election, where we read things like:

Hi team, can we get your opinion on this? This was flagged by DHS:

Or:

Please see attached report from the FBI for potential misinformation.

This would be attached to an excel spreadsheet with a long list of names, whose accounts were often suspended shortly after.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The journalists have released their findings in numerous Twitter threads. They explored the behind-the-scenes communications regarding the censorship of the New York Post's Hunter Biden laptop story and the banning of former President Donald Trump. Other threads allege the widespread censoring of conservatives was privately urged by some members of the government.

MATT TAIBBI, "THE TWITTER FILES": I’ve been a reporter for over 30 years, and an advocate for the First Amendment. Much of that time was spent at Rolling Stone magazine.​
Ranking member Plaskett, I'm not a so-called journalist. I’ve won the National Magazine Award, the I.F. Stone Award for independent journalism, and I've written ten books, including four New York Times bestsellers. I’m now the editor of the online magazine Racket, on the independent platform Substack.​
I am here today because of a series of events that began late last year when I received a note from a source online.​
A week later, the first of what became known as the "Twitter Files" reports came out. To say these attracted intense public interest would be an understatement. My computer looked like a slot machine as just the first tweet about the blockage of the Hunter Biden laptop story registered 143 million impressions and 30 million engagements.

But it wasn’t until a week after the first report, after Michael Shellenberger, Bari Weiss, and other researchers joined the search of the "Files," that we started to grasp the significance of this story.

What we found in the "Files" was a sweeping effort to reverse that promise, and use machine learning and other tools to turn the internet into an instrument of censorship and social control. Unfortunately, our own government appears to be playing a lead role.

We saw the first hints in communications between Twitter executives before the 2020 election, where we read things like:

Or:

This would be attached to an excel spreadsheet with a long list of names, whose accounts were often suspended shortly after.

Get this. Several years ago James Clapper was asked under oath if the US government was collecting communications information of American citizens. He said, "Not knowingly". After the US government was in fact found to be eavesdropping on every American citizen they belatedly claimed that they were only collecting meta data that could only be accessed by court order. Now we find every flavor of the alphabet soup randomly discovering twitter posts that need to be flagged for some reason.

It's not hard to put two and two together. And we don't know what they've been doing with all the other social media companies.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Or:

I see once again that those who cannot deny the truth have simply avoided it, if they pretend that it did not happen they can safely hang on to their ignorant views.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wait, wasn't there already a thread for this - one which pointed out how some of the findings about Twitter included how Donald's administration tried to get unflattering tweets about the guy censored? Not sure why we'd need another thread given that one - perhaps the facts that came out in that thread were unflattering to the narrative?

Upvote 0