Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I bought a used computer with 10, sort of.
I was shocked to find that apps needed to be downloaded. Sheese. That's all well and good if you have internet. The computer was
Wiped and 10 was reloaded if that's what you want to call it.
So I am thinking of going back to 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated, alternatives.
Thanks!
Merry Christmas everyone!!:christmastree:

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was shocked to find that apps needed to be downloaded. Sheese. That's all well and good if you have internet. The computer was
So I am thinking of going back to 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated, alternatives.
Thanks!

A question:. Do you have to pay for those apps in addition to paying for 10?

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
What apps? Windows doesn't really come with anything you might use by default. If you mean Office, you need to purchase a license or subscription in addition to it.

The only things that are really on Windows when you first install it are a web browser, media player, Paint, Notepad/Wordpad, and Windows Defender (antivirus).

Going back to 7 is an insanely bad idea (and likely not doable depending on the Windows license on the computer), and you are going to have worse issues of "things not being there".

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A question:. Do you have to pay for those apps in addition to paying for 10?
You can get a free alternative to Microsoft Office by downloading LibreOffice. There are many other Open Source programs and apps that stand well in terms of quality. So you don't have to spend a lot of bucks to have first rate applications. Of course, if you send them some bucks they would appreciate that too.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You can get a free alternative to Microsoft Office by downloading LibreOffice. There are many other Open Source programs and apps that stand well in terms of quality. So you don't have to spend a lot of bucks to have first rate applications. Of course, if you send them some bucks they would appreciate that too.

You can't download squat if you don't have internet.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks!

You could get internet access at public hotspots such as at your public library. Some places have it at public parks as well.
I bought a computer recently the same way you did. It's just a matter of knowing what types of apps you want and then googling for free versions of them. If you tell us what types of apps you need, we could come up with a list of free ones.

Also, don't go back to Win7. I'm not sure it's even supported anymore. Ten is so much better, and now Win11 is starting to be used.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Also, don't go back to Win7. I'm not sure it's even supported anymore. Ten is so much better, and now Win11 is starting to be used.

It hasn't been for almost 2 years. Staying on Windows 7 is the equivalent of sharing needles; you may not get a deadly disease, but you're really rolling the dice on it.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You could get internet access at public hotspots such as at your public library. Some places have it at public parks as well.
I bought a computer recently the same way you did. It's just a matter of knowing what types of apps you want and then googling for free versions of them. If you tell us what types of apps you need, we could come up with a list of free ones.

I'm not strong enough to carry my desktop around, lol.
It isn't supported anymore. I googled about this and there were so many down grading to 7 despite

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What apps? Windows doesn't really come with anything you might use by default. If you mean Office, you need to purchase a license or subscription in addition to it. It is fairly simple and there is more than one way to do it.

The only things that are really on Windows when you first install it are a web browser, media player, Paint, Notepad/Wordpad, and Windows Defender (antivirus).

Going back to 7 is an insanely bad idea (and likely not doable depending on the Windows license on the computer), and you are going to have worse issues of "things not being there".
I have an OEM . Nothing involved like office. It said I needed an app when I tried to see screen savers and pretty much everything I clicked on or searched for.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

If I had internet I could do that but thank you for your thoughts. As to going back I kept XP for years after it expired. I didn't mind I couldn't update. I loved xp.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
While Microsoft makes it look like apps are a required part of life, they're not. In fact that's one reason I hate the recent windows. They all try to get you to download apps from the get go, I really miss w98 and wxp we didn't have this useless stuff back then.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not strong enough to carry my desktop around, lol.
It isn't supported anymore. I googled about this and there were so many down grading to 7 despite

Well, another option (if it's available) is to reserve a device for checkout at the public library called a "Portable Wi-fi hotspot". It would allow you to have internet at home for free for awhile. It uses the cellular network to get internet. In fact, you could possibly do that right now by using your phone as a hotspot by switching on that feature on your phone.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks!
It's actually better to install Win 10 when it's not connected to the Internet, so it skips over creating a Microsoft account, if you don't want to get roped into that. So you had a leg up there.

Which apps in particular do you need besides Malwarebytes and an antivirus that works well with it?

I have an OEM . Nothing involved like office. It said I needed an app when I tried to see screen savers and pretty much everything I clicked on or searched for.
Sounds like you're attempting to launch programs by double-clicking on their associated file types. When that association isn't in Windows, it prompts you to select an app.

Which file types (include the extensions) do you need to open?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You can buy cheap hotspots from the major retailers or use your cell phone as a hotspot to get internet on your windows10 device. Just to inform the original poster in case he/she did not know this.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks everyone,. Your posts really helped. It made me stop and think it through. I hadn't thought that I was getting the same app warning but I think It was and since it has stopped and now there are no holds barred. I really like the computer. The only problem I am having now is a very quiet noise from I think the fan. It's a concern it would be getting warm in this freezing house but I will watch it's temp. I was able to get on the internet sort of shipshod as the computer isn't set up for internet. I set it up for dialup right now. I do have rights to hotspot but still can't seem to get it to work on either computer. I am happy with most everything. I love a good buy. Fairly new
Computer with win 10 for $30.
If any of you like apple. They are having several really nice looking units for little money. I very seldom see apple computers at Goodwill. Many to choose from now. Shopgoodwill.com,. Have a look and they deliver.
Merry Christmas if I didn't say it before and thanks again:)

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks everyone,. Your posts really helped. It made me stop and think it through. I hadn't thought that I was getting the same app warning but I think It was and since it has stopped and now there are no holds barred. I really like the computer. The only problem I am having now is a very quiet noise from I think the fan. It's a concern it would be getting warm in this freezing house but I will watch it's temp. I was able to get on the internet sort of shipshod as the computer isn't set up for internet. I set it up for dialup right now. I do have rights to hotspot but still can't seem to get it to work on either computer. I am happy with most everything. I love a good buy. Fairly new
Computer with win 10 for $30.
If any of you like apple. They are having several really nice looking units for little money. I very seldom see apple computers at Goodwill. Many to choose from now. Shopgoodwill.com,. Have a look and they deliver.
Merry Christmas if I didn't say it before and thanks again:)

Glad you figured it out @returntosender

Upvote 0