Will God suffer emotionally for eternity for those in hell?

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And when we no longer have duality within, we no longer are about "self" but become about "others" This is when He truly reigns in us. This is when there is peace, joy and Love without end. when we become about "others" we will weep for them, and be willing to lay down our lives for them, as He did for us.
When we have died by the sword we put away the sword. Blessed is the peacemaker...
"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God."

Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your question is problematic in its most basic sense in that you mean eternal to mean forever. The word eternal in the NT is derived from the Greek adjectives aionios, aionion, etc. These are adjectival forms of the Greek noun aion, from which we get the English word eon. An eon is a age of time of unspecified but limited duration. Therefore the adjective "eternal" in the NT cannot refer to an unlimited, endless length of time since its meaning is determined by its referent noun. By implication then, God does not suffer eternally because there is no "eternal" in the NT. Nor is there any "eternal" in hell/lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Restless heart

Sep 7, 2017
Halifax
✟17,489.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your question is problematic in its most basic sense in that you mean eternal to mean forever. The word eternal in the NT is derived from the Greek adjectives aionios, aionion, etc. These are adjectival forms of the Greek noun aion, from which we get the English word eon. An eon is a age of time of unspecified but limited duration. Therefore the adjective "eternal" in the NT cannot refer to an unlimited, endless length of time since its meaning is determined by its referent noun. By implication then, God does not suffer eternally because there is no "eternal" in the NT. Nor is there any "eternal" in hell/lake of fire.

Im familiar with the Greek word aionios. It can also mean forever depending on the context. If what you said was true there would be a major problem for believers. Aionios is the same NT greek word used to describe eternal life believers have in Jesus. So, if its only interpreted as "a period of time" that would mean that after death believers would not spend eternity in heaven, but just a period of time.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im familiar with the Greek word aionios. It can also mean forever depending on the context. If what you said was true there would be a major problem for believers. Aionios is the same NT greek word used to describe eternal life believers have in Jesus. So, if its only interpreted as "a period of time" that would mean that after death believers would not spend eternity in heaven, but just a period of time.
If you cite context as the basis for defining the word, then it would behoove you to provide scriptural examples of such context. Otherwise if you don't believe me, I can cite other sources more scholarly than myself who maintain the same viewpoint such as one man sometimes referred to as the Prince of Expositors: "Let me say to Bible students that we must be very careful how we use the word “eternity.” We have fallen into great error in our constant use of that word. There is no word in the whole Book of God corresponding with our “eternal” which as commonly used among us means absolutely without end. – G. Campbell Morgan, God’s Methods with Men, page 185
The proper definition of aion applied is that believers spend an age-lasting period of time with God - not eternity as incorrectly translated.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe in hell. I used to believe in it but when I started to have chronic pain I began to feel God would not make anyone suffer for eternity.

Blue, there is a saying: Those who do not believe in hell, will end up finding themselves ending in hell.

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Trying to wrap my head around this...God is pained by the fact that many will go to hell. Eternal hell. So, does that mean that God will forever feel pain? In a sense, will God suffer emotionally for eternity because He will forever be aware of those in hell, whom He loves, suffering for eternity?
you must understand god has the most tender heart of anyone...he can take it in such examples proving he has the most tender heart. besides we will never know his whole plan, he can put those in hell to heaven whenever he wants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aseyesee

Apr 18, 2017
Norfolk, Virginia
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trying to wrap my head around this...God is pained by the fact that many will go to hell. Eternal hell. So, does that mean that God will forever feel pain? In a sense, will God suffer emotionally for eternity because He will forever be aware of those in hell, whom He loves, suffering for eternity?
Wouldn't this suffering be something that always was to him; or can God create mountain even he can't move ...

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe in hell either. I find it extremely difficult to believe in a God who we claim is infinitely forgiving and full of infinite love and justice, but if we fail to accept Him in a finite lifetime, we'll suffer for eternity.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe in hell either. I find it extremely difficult to believe in a God who we claim is infinitely forgiving and full of infinite love and justice, but if we fail to accept Him in a finite lifetime, we'll suffer for eternity.
Ringo
I'm afraid I agree Ringo. Even in this case, I'd honestly want to do wrong rather than to suffer wrong but There are times in non extreme cases compared to the subject should be the other way around like being honorable in a situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
From what He says in His Word, no. They will be forgotten.
Besides they won't be around after some point ...

Upvote 0