Will God suffer emotionally for eternity for those in hell?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
And this is why I asked you several posts ago to please tell me what the Greek word does mean then.

And I asked you several posts ago to answer the question I just stated first, before we moved on to addressing this.

The next time you ask me a question on a thread, be prepared to answer a few yourself or mind your own business. I don't have time to waste.

As you wish.

The Greek word certainly does not mean that God is "needy". In addition, to interpret that it does mean that, flies in the face of everything God Himself says that He is in His Word.

As if God has an Achilles heel, and only "we" His "created", can "fix" it and fill that gap, and "cure His "weakness".

This ties right in to what i've asked you several times and which you have avoided answering like the plague:

Was Creator God "lonely" before He created "us", His creatures?

No worries if you choose not to answer. However i'm not gonna say that i, His "creature", "fixed" my ailing, needy "Creator".

If that were true, He'd be singing worship and praise songs to me, and bowing down to and worshiping me, wouldn't He?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As you wish.

The Greek word certainly does not mean that God is "needy". In addition to interpret that it does mean that, flies in the face of everything God Himself says that He is in His Word.

As if God has an Achilles heel, and only "we" His "created", can "fix" it and fill that gap, and "cure His "weakness".

This ties right in to what i've asked you several times and which you have avoided answering like the plague:

Was Creator God "lonely" before He created "us", His creatures?

No worries if you choose not to answer. However i'm not gonna say that i, His "creature", "fixed" my ailing, needy "Creator".

If that were true, He'd be singing worship and praise songs to me, and bowing down to and worshiping me, wouldn't He?

Who are you arguing with here?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Who are you arguing with here?

Interesting response. It doesn't address anything i posted.

No worries.

graphics-candles-349632.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Restless heart

Sep 7, 2017
Halifax
✟17,489.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just what I often tell others, yes. But Christ Himself said to us that unless we believe and are given eternal life, that without that we would "perish". His Word. So, "second death", "destroy", "perish" -- none of these sound compatible with the notion, not in scripture, but only conjecture, that human souls live an eternal life in hell. Ergo, not being angels, human souls will perish there. That's an 'eternal punishment'. Cessation. Destruction. Ceasing to exist. It's the way to fit all the scriptures together, instead of selectively ignoring some of them. But, I consider this not especially important, since we all agree on the actual important thing -- to come to Christ to be saved. It only is important to get right for the sake of the individuals that here and now have their path to faith blocked by the speculative notion of eternal life given to those in hell.

It would be very satisfying if I could accept this answer, however, the bible has many verses that refer to those in hell suffering "forever and ever" or for eternity. A couple examples:

Rev.20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Matt.25:41 Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

And the greek word (aionios) used for eternity is the very same one used to refer to the eternal life for believers.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be very satisfying if I could accept this answer, however, the bible has many verses that refer to those in hell suffering "forever and ever" or for eternity. A couple examples:

Rev.20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Matt.25:41 Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

And the greek word (aionios) used for eternity is the very same one used to refer to the eternal life for believers.

Indeed, so, you should aim to fit *all* the verses together, and not only some that fit one idea. Instead you need the idea that agrees with all of the verses. This one: while the devil and his angels (having immortality already) will be in hell forever, we read that human souls will "perish" there, destroyed, and this is a "second death". Only ideas that fits all verses can be correct.

Upvote 0

white gardenia

Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I personally subscribe to the Universalist doctrine...Certainly the Universalist position is the only one that can be reconciled with Calvinist teachings (ie "God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance" If this is true, how can there be a discrepancy between God's will and a universe that has been predestined according to God's will ?)
The "harrowing of hell" after Christ's death seemed to describe the inhabitants of hell being set free...presumably including the rich man who is being tormented in Luke 16: 19-31
We also see in Revelations that hell will be destroyed at some point in the future.
But there is no question that there are many MANY Biblical verses which make it sound as if hell and/ or the lake of fire will go on forever...
Not many people are familiar with writings of Frank Tipler or the writings of Teilhard de Chardin Frank J. Tipler - Wikipedia but Tipler and de Chardins Omega Point Theory has been something that is really important to me when it comes to understanding hell from a different perspective. If you get a chance please listen to this interview I did with Tipler from 2016. We dont directly discuss hell in the context that your speaking of, but after hearing his theory you might look at a hell, and the theology of hell, in a different light...

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You're not answering my question, Brinny. Do you believe the wording in the Greek or not? You asked for a scripture and I provided one. The wording in James 4:5 very clearly states that He yearns/longs for us. Do you accept this or not?

There is a difference between WANTING something and NEEDING something. I may WANT a hot fudge sundae, no nuts, no cherry, extra whipped cream. But I do not NEED it. With that in mind, God desires that all souls get to heaven. but He does not NEED it.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BTW, God does not suffer, PERIOD. So God will not suffer emotional distress if a sinner chooses to go to hell rather than accept His Love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...Certainly the Universalist position is the only one that can be reconciled with Calvinist teachings (ie "God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance" If this is true, how can there be a discrepancy between God's will and a universe that has been predestined according to God's will ?)

Hi WG, we're not allowed to discuss Universalism in any detail on this board (you need to do that on the CCT board or on one of the non-Christian boards) but I will say this much at least, Calvinism does not teach Universalism :preach: We are, in fact, known for teaching that the atonement is limited by God (the "L" in our little acrostic, TULIP, stands for "Limited Atonement").

T - Total Depravity
U - Unconditional Election
L - Limited Atonement
I - Irresistible Grace
P - Perseverance of the Saints

As for 2 Peter 3:9, the book, the chapter, the passage and the verse itself were all written to God's elect. So when v9 says that God is patient towards "you", not wishing that "any" should perish but that "all" should come to repentance, "you", "any" and "all" are referring specifically to both present AND future saints, alone, not to the lost. (why would God wait patiently for those He already knows are lost/will never come to faith in Christ :scratch:)

1 Timothy 2:4 and, in particular, Ezekiel 33:11, might be better choices to use when attempting to make an argument for an unlimited atonement.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

white gardenia

Feb 26, 2017
kansas/ montana
Visit site
✟19,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yours and His,
David

No no I agree with you...in fact most Calvinists that I know focus even more heavily on the "hellfire and damnation" aspects of Christianity. Although Ive gone back and forth on Calvinism vs "free will" I have never been able to reconcile Calvinism and any theology involving eternal damnation.

but I will say this much at least, Calvinism does not teach Universalism :preach: We are, in fact, known for teaching that the atonement is limited by God. In fact, the "L" in our little acrostic, TULIP, stands for "Limited Atonement".

1 Timothy 2:4 and, in particular, Ezekiel 33:11, might be better choices to use when attempting to make an argument for an unlimited atonement.

Yours and His,
David

Well I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of 2nd Peter but I agree with you that the Timothy and Ezekial passages are even stronger arguments in favor of the free will/ armenian viewpoint. How do you interpret those verses?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Gospel is the Good news. You are talking about torment and smoke as a constant reminder of toasted people.... and scars......When does the good news start?
The good news is that none of us have to meet our inevitable destiny, that our destiny is now that of the Righteous one who lives forever in shalom.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The good news is that none of us have to meet our inevitable destiny, that our destiny is now that of the Righteous one who lives forever in shalom.
I understand. So your version of the good news has the avoidance of the place of torment in it....And without the place of torment this good news is no longer necessary. Knowing this, I say it is best to hold onto Hell and make it as bad a place as you can imagine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, God does not suffer, PERIOD. So God will not suffer emotional distress if a sinner chooses to go to hell rather than accept His Love.

You're telling me Jesus didn't suffer on a cross, Monk Brendan? :)

I believe someone also brought up how He wept outside Jerusalem. He was not suffering when He wept either?

I'm not really dying for an answer. I just find the position very strange that our God cannot experience such things as suffering, or yearn for and grieve over those whom He loves who commit spiritual adultery against Him. It's just so strange to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand. So your version of the good news has the avoidance of the place of torment in it....And without the place of torment this good news is no longer necessary. Knowing this, I say it is best to hold onto Hell and make it as bad a place as you can imagine.
A place of death. The wages of sin is death. The inevitable result of a broken relationship with the source of all Life is death, eternal death, death that one does not come back from. Ever.
The good news is that the only human person who has to experience this death is one righteous man with big shoulders. The rest of us can simply choose to accept His offer of exchange of our death for His life. This is good news.
It is also good news, even better news, that we now have access to a relationship with God and with one another forever in Shalom and Shabat.
The fate of those who reject this good news is inevitable and beyond anybody elses control. This is freedom.
But how does making the second death even more horrible than it already is in anyway helpful? Surely our job is to be light bearers, not bringers of darkness. We are not called to be cattle dogs that snap at the ankles of recalcitrant beasts. Rather we are the light of the world with the hope and Love of Christ Jesus shining from within us. Those who love the light will come to the light, those who do not will only cringe further into the comfort of darkness and death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No no I agree with you...in fact most Calvinists that I know focus even more heavily on the "hellfire and damnation" aspects of Christianity.

Interesting. That has never been my experience.

Although I've gone back and forth on Calvinism vs "free will" I have never been able to reconcile Calvinism and any theology involving eternal damnation.

Whether churches are Reformed, Free Will or Semi-Pelagian, all churches/denominations that I know of within the pale of Christian orthodoxy teach the eternal, conscious damnation of the reprobate (and have done so throughout the history), so you would need to move to a fringe church or a cult to find a group that doesn't teach it.

Well I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of 2nd Peter but I agree with you that the Timothy and Ezekial passages are even stronger arguments in favor of the free will/ armenian viewpoint. How do you interpret those verses?

My assessment of 2 Peter 3:9 is Biblically correct, but many on the Free Will side use it as support for their belief in a conditional election nevertheless (because the second half of v9, taken out of context, seems to say what they need it to say).

As for....

1 Timothy 2
1 First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men,
2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Ezekiel 33
10 Now as for you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus you have spoken, saying, “Surely our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we are rotting away in them; how then can we survive?” ’
11 Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?’

....what God desires, He doesn't always get (for instance, most/all choose to sin every single day irregardless of the fact that He wishes/desires that we wouldn't, because He gave us free will).

This was also His plan from the beginning, that all would be with Him forever, but we all rejected Him and chose sin and death instead of obedience, both in our first parents and us personally as well (so there is a sense of "all" mankind in these verses, that He really would have preferred that all were saved, and that He truly takes no pleasure in anyone's eternal death, even though all of us rejected Him .. e.g. Romans 3:10-12, 23).

However, since He promised His Son a bride, He chose to save a remnant of us so that He would, so that ALL would not be lost. The question I cannot answer is why He didn't choose to save everyone else too?

I would also say that, generally speaking, when the Bible speaks of "all men", it means all of mankind w/o distinction, you know, both Jews AND Greeks, men from every tribe and tongue, people and nation, not every man, woman and child w/o exception.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A place of death. The wages of sin is death. The inevitable result of a broken relationship with the source of all Life is death, eternal death, death that one does not come back from. Ever.
The good news is that the only human person who has to experience this death is one righteous man with big shoulders. The rest of us can simply choose to accept His offer of exchange of our death for His life. This is good news.
It is also good news, even better news, that we now have access to a relationship with God and with one another forever in Shalom and Shabat.
The fate of those who reject this good news is inevitable and beyond anybody elses control. This is freedom.
But how does making the second death even more horrible than it already is in anyway helpful? Surely our job is to be light bearers, not bringers of darkness. We are not called to be cattle dogs that snap at the ankles of recalcitrant beasts. Rather we are the light of the world with the hope and Love of Christ Jesus shining from within us. Those who love the light will come to the light, those who do not will only cringe further into the comfort of darkness and death.
Making the bad news more bad is important, because your good news depends on the belief of the bad news.

For me, the rejection of true good news should not hold dire consequences. There is no believe this good news, or else you die. I have 1 million dollars for you hidden in a maze and few can make it to... go find it! Sounds like good news to me right? but wait! there is more! you have 30mins to find it and if you don't, you will die. I guess this is still good because, at least we are given a chance right?

I personally prefer the news before the dying part, but that is just me. But I agree, some need the 30 or die, or 30 or burn part, to go after the 1mill. I just don't happen to be one of them.

Think about it....If our spouses have to mention "I would have died if I didn't" whenever asked why they married us, I'd question their love for a few weeks.......then I'd get on to the baby making.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Trying to wrap my head around this...God is pained by the fact that many will go to hell. Eternal hell. So, does that mean that God will forever feel pain? In a sense, will God suffer emotionally for eternity because He will forever be aware of those in hell, whom He loves, suffering for eternity?

Try wrapping your head around this: The NT repeated teaches that God is the Savior of everyone and wants to save everyone. So why would God "suffer" over the lost instead of giving them a 2nd chance to respond to Him after death? Put differently, why would an omnipotent God "suffer" instead of using His omnipotence to create postmortem chances to make the right choice and get saved? In this respect, have your considered Jesus' preaching to the "spirits in prison" (1 Peter 3:19) and the early Christian practice of baptism for the unsaved dead (1 Corinthians 15:29)? Such NT examples of postmortem opportunities to get saved could be multiplied.

Upvote 0