✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Rae
Twin: I believe the point many have made is that modern day Witches did not exist in Biblical times and thus could not have been the "witches" referred to in the Bible.

That depends. If the term in the Bible is interpreted, as is often the case, as meaning "practictioners of magic", then the modern Wiccans sure look like members of that insanely broad category.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Perhaps but so would Siberian Shamans, Australian Aborigines, Kissi, Mbaka, Orisha, Shinto, Gnosticism, and dozens of other faiths. All of these use some form of Magic but none of them are Witches. Some of them are from areas very close to the Mideast and so might even have been encountered by the Hebrews. Why is Witchcraft singled out? Why a religion that the Hebrews would never encounter but that King James was making a lot of money accusing people of? Well the answer becomes quite obvious.

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
So... Let's say that Havoc, being our token person likely to use magic, is at the scene of a car crash, and finds an injured person who is likely to die without medical help. Havoc desperately tries to somehow save this life, pouring his will into trying to heal the dying man.

If it were me... I would rather die then be saved through witchcraft.

Havoc does not have that right to impose himself on others.

Now if someone were to step forward and lay hands on me... all the while praying to God to spare my life... he would be my friend.

It is not the fact that we use power that makes it wrong.

But rather the source of the power that we contact.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Twin: I believe the point many have made is that modern day Witches did not exist in Biblical times and thus could not have been the "witches" referred to in the Bible."

Well, all 'modern day witches' I know claim that Wicca is older than Christianity.  Wouldn't that mean that the witches mentioned in the bible are the same as today?  The pagan gods they worshipped are still the same.  Same 'spells' and incantations, same chants, same everything.  One false pagan religion is the same as any other anyway.  Same old, same old.

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
Stormy, so a paramedic, not being a Christian is imposing on you exactly how? He is obligated by law to follow the same rules as Christians. And of course doing the same things.

Wether or not the modern witches are those referred to in the Bible is not the point. The point is for tolerance of other belief systems.
Therefore Wicca can´t be good or bad, as any other religion. It only can be a religion, that has its place in a democracy or republic, following its rules like any other religion. Once a religion does step out of bounds it has no place in our midst. But those sort of religions tend to want itself from the rest of humanity as well.
Therefore Wicca has the same rights to tolerance as Christianity, Islam , Judaism, Buddhism and so forth.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Stormy
If it were me... I would rather die then be saved through witchcraft.

Havoc does not have that right to impose himself on others.

Now if someone were to step forward and lay hands on me... all the while praying to God to spare my life... he would be my friend.

It is not the fact that we use power that makes it wrong.

But rather the source of the power that we contact.

I don't believe evil *can* heal. Christ pointed this out when the Pharisees accused him of casting out devils using Satan's power.

If it can heal us, it's not evil, whatever else it may be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Originally posted by TwinCrier
"The question, Gunny, was not whether WitchCraft would be acceptable, but whether Witchcraft or Witches were mentioned, specifically and by name, in the bible. They are not."

Exodus 22:18
Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

- blah blah blah -

Galatians 5:20
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

TwinCrier;

Please try to keep up, we know the word was inserted in the KJV. The point is that Witches were not mentioned in the original text nor was there any chance the Hebrews would ever have encountered Witches. The word "Witch" does not apply to anyone who uses magic, it applies to practitioners of the ancient Norse/Saxon/Celtic religions.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Originally posted by scott
I know that Wiccans aren't Satan worshipers but like all false religions it's a lie. I'm sure many wiccans are nice people but believing a lie is believing a lie whether it be mormonism, wicca, jw, hindu, etc...

So Christianity is the truth and all others are lies...

Do you have proof of this? No? Then it is false witness.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's not false witness unless you believe it to be false. You can be honestly mistaken, and it's not false witness from a moral standpoint. You are, of course, obliged to make a reasonable *effort* at discerning the truth, but I think it's reasonable to assume that people have done so, even when they disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Stormy, so a paramedic, not being a Christian is imposing on you exactly how? He is obligated by law to follow the same rules as Christians. And of course doing the same things.

Lacmeh: That was not the question that I was asked. Most if not all paramedics do not use witchcraft on the injured. I do not need to check religion of a paramedic working within his medical expertise.

If it can heal us, it's not evil, whatever else it may be.

I am not believing this statement. It may heal but unlike God there will be a price tag. I think we have become desensitized to the danger of witchcraft from all the TV comedies. I do not believe in the good witch.

I affirm my answer. If I am injured...

Use medical treatments on me or pray for me. :help:

But witches back off!! :mad:

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
I think you have been watching to many movies. Price tag lol.

So a Witch would have no right to impose himself on a person but a Christian could heal without his permission. That is rather hypocritical don't you think?

Just so you know however. The Witch would not cast a healing spell on an unconcious person. That would be against our ethics. We are not permitted to cast spells without the recipients permission. This is why many of us choose to learn first aid. Personally I could not think of a worse thing than having a Christian ask their God to intercede for me without my permission.

Upvote 0

MyJhongFist

Feb 22, 2002
Visit site
✟1,152.00
Originally posted by Stormy
I affirm my answer. If I am injured...

Use medical treatments on me or pray for me. :help:

But witches back off!! :mad:

If that is so, then what gives us Christians the right to pray for any injured person who is not a Christian????

Should we just 'back off' as well?

If anyone wants to pray for me, they are welcome.  Whether I believe in their gods or not.

Upvote 0

MyJhongFist

Feb 22, 2002
Visit site
✟1,152.00
Originally posted by Havoc
Personally I could not think of a worse thing than having a Christian ask their God to intercede for me without my permission.

Why is that so?  Seriously? 

Again, I say that if anyone wants to pray for me, they are welcome.  Whether I believe in their gods or not.  I can think of MUCH worse things. 

When someone prays for me, they show concern for my well being.  So much so that they petition the beings that they hold dear in my behalf.  

I can think of no greater compliment.

Upvote 0