Wicca:Good Or Bad Final Answers

Good or Bad

• Good

• Bad

• No Opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by Mid
I am disgusted, and it will be apparent also. HOW DARE PEOPLE CALL OTHERS EVIL? I believe really what is sad is the christian belief that anyone who doesnt follow the propet jesus and this male god, are evil. You do not know for fact that this is the one true way. You merely believe it to the point of blindness. I see why the world is falling to pieces. I am done for this evening.

:rolleyes:

Those who profess Christ call THEMSELVES evil--we're sinners.

Upvote 0

ashibaka

ShiiAce
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
✟9,047.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by fragmentsofdreams
What caused the sudden obsession with Wicca?

This is an old topic. Check the dates :)

In general, Wicca is a conundrum to Christians because it's so close to "witchcraft", but is in another way just a religion, like Islam. This poll is to see how many people think Wicca is good or bad.

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
I know many Wiccans and personally see no difference between what they term as "magick" and Christians praying. Both seem to me to be attempting to either
A) Influence the outcome of an event (ie: pray for healing , work a spell for healing) for themselves and others
B) Give thanks or praise for what they have perceived as blessings from their deity
C) To strengthen their own faith

I am sure there are other reasons to pray or work magick but most seem to fall into these general categories

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Wicca is not of the Devil. It has nothing to do with the Devil. I do not understand why people feel the need to label things they can not possibly understand as evil.

I believe part of the problem is that Wicca has become too popularized. The Pop Pagan press has simplified it and presents it as an exoteric religion when in fact it is an esoteric religion. Wicca was never meant to be mass-produced. It’s an Earth based mystery religion and is not for everyone.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by ashibaka
This is an old topic. Check the dates :)

In general, Wicca is a conundrum to Christians because it's so close to "witchcraft", but is in another way just a religion, like Islam. This poll is to see how many people think Wicca is good or bad.

I just was pondering out loud the existence of three threads hostile toward Wicca. More has been said about wicca in the past week than the past several months.

Upvote 0

e4God

Visiting WebHead
Mar 11, 2002
Citizen of The Heavens
Visit site
✟8,085.00
Faith
Christian
Wicca appears to be worship of creation, rather than the creator.  

It is clearly declared wrong by God to have a familiar spirit, practice divining, or engage in any other aspects of witchcraft.   

Witchcraft is clearly not accepted by God.

But please remember that Jesus died for Witches and Warlocks, the same as for Liars and all other sinners, like me. 

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Upvote 0

Thinker

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟7,155.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wicca a religion invented by a guy in a prison cell....

Ever occur to you that in a sense, the exact same thing can be said about christianity? At least some of Pauls letters were written from prison...

As to spells and whatnot being evil... 2000 years ago, the jewish rabbi's had the reputations of being both highly devout and being some of the flat out best magicians in the roman empire. And if you llook through some of the legalistic stuff in the OT, some of them look a awefull lot like spells. So - was this God condemning magic? Or the priests caste (the priests in OT times were strictly hereditary) trying to rub out the competition legally? And remeber, they were the ones doing the writing...

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
It's interesting that you would ask people who know little or nothing about Wicca what their opinion of it is. My opinion has always been if you want to know what a sparrow is, ask a sparrow. Since I am a Wiccan I assume you'll agree that my opinion of what Wicca is is a more informed opinion than someone who knows only the Christian Propaganda they've been fed.

Aside from the arguement of whether Wicca is right or wrong as a principle of the "one truth", I assume you mean is Wicca a religion that believes one should do good things or bad things. It is clear from the Rede (do what you will as long as you harm no one) that Wiccans do not do "bad" things. Wiccans do not kidnap Children, perform human or animal sacrifices, delight in evil, try to overthrow the government, steal, curse Jesus, worship Satan, or any of the other myriad heinous crimes we get accused of.

In short we are pretty much like every other religion on the face of the earth, including Christianity. We delight in things which make peopl;e happy and abhor that which causes suffering. We value Justice and honesty and disdain pomposity and bigotry. We strive to treat our fellow humans with dignity and respect and we expect the same from others.

If indeed evil is as evil does then we are not, in any fashion, "bad".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FordPrefect

WWADGD
Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
✟788.00
Faith
Atheist
I am glad you joined this Havoc.

I know very little about wicca, I have spent some time researching it on the internet, but only as a side step in my search for Solstice traditions for a Christmas party. (We settled on Saturnalia, as it involved a little more debauchery than the Wiccans and their sober log burning seemed to allow :) )

What I found, and correct me if I am wrong, is that much of Wicca is derived from various pagan traditions, typically, but not limited to, Celtic in origin. However, the modern Wiccan movement was born in the early 60's, and incorporates many of the old traditions as the "members" of the movement see fit. In this way, there is a small, and refreshing, chunck of eastern philosophy involved that can only do good.

I also found the deep respect for nature and other creatures(humans included) beautiful, and "Hindu-istic" as well. There was a breath of "Thou art that" in the writings I found.

But I may have completely misinterpereted what I read and missed the "Evil" markers entirely.

Upvote 0
Satan is the great deceiver, the father of lies. He is doing a great job of it with all of this "can't we all just get along and have respect for each others religion" stuff. What better lie then having everyone get together and embrace all religions with open arms. While making everyone feel all fuzzy and making the ones proclaiming the truth look bad for not joining in. The more I see of this the more it seems that the end is not far off.......

Upvote 0

FordPrefect

WWADGD
Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
✟788.00
Faith
Atheist
g_1933 - first off, the religion you are professing is not the first religion that has ever existed. It evolved out of another religion, which was also not the first religion, which evolved out of yet another religion (also not the first, btw, I would recommend reading "Primitive Mythology" by Joseph Campbell.)

The point I am making is that most people view religion as a part of an individual's choice to provide self expression, explanation of the universe, coping mechanisms, hope for the future and moral guidance. Many of these most do not see an absolute truth in any of these religions and are willing to allow others the choice to which religion/philosophy suits them best.
A few of those many believe that their way is the only way and attempt force that way onto others. And the remainder of the many decide to reject it all as truth.

I haven't studied long on the topic of comparitive religions, but what I have found so far reveals a deep truth to the yearning of humanity. The "God-shaped hole" that Sarte (I think it was him...) described, wants filling. However, the GSH is not really an imprint of a deity, but the symptom of the immaturity of the human condition, we are a recently sentient species trying to come to terms with the knowledge of our mortality and the understanding of our impending psychological crisis.

Anyway read the book, and while you are at it, throw in "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong...

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Originally posted by g_1933
Satan is the great deceiver, the father of lies. He is doing a great job of it with all of this "can't we all just get along and have respect for each others religion" stuff. What better lie then having everyone get together and embrace all religions with open arms. While making everyone feel all fuzzy and making the ones proclaiming the truth look bad for not joining in. The more I see of this the more it seems that the end is not far off.......

Yes it's much better to have religious intolerance and zealousness. Much preferable indeed to have everybody jumping up and down stamping their feet and yelling about how only their view of the universe is correct. Maybe with luck we can get another Crusade going, or hijack a plane or two and fly them into buildings.

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Originally posted by FordPrefect
I am glad you joined this Havoc.

What I found, and correct me if I am wrong, is that much of Wicca is derived from various pagan traditions, typically, but not limited to, Celtic in origin. However, the modern Wiccan movement was born in the early 60's, and incorporates many of the old traditions as the "members" of the movement see fit. In this way, there is a small, and refreshing, chunck of eastern philosophy involved that can only do good.

I also found the deep respect for nature and other creatures(humans included) beautiful, and "Hindu-istic" as well. There was a breath of "Thou art that" in the writings I found.

But I may have completely misinterpereted what I read and missed the "Evil" markers entirely.

What you are saying is essentially correct although we would say rediscovered rather than born in the 60's, much the same way as protestantism was rediscovered by Luther. The first Wiccans were essentially Gardnerian, followers of the teachings of Gerald Gardner. My particular path is one of a trend which is known as reconstructionalism. We rely more on ancient texts, oral traditions of indiginous people and archeology to attempt to reconstruct the ancient relaigions as accuratly as possible. In my Case that would be the Religion of the ancient Celts. Whether we are traditional or eclectic there is a general belief that any wisdom is good no matter what it's source.

We do have a deep respect for Nature and for other people. We don't believe in proseletysing as we also believe that all paths lead to the Divine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by g_1933
Uh..yeah. God forbid we should get all along and have respect for each other.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Come on, Annabel. You know he's right. Remember the story of the Samaritan, in which we find that, if your people have a habitual distrust of other people who do not share their beliefs and culture, it will be a justified distrust. Or at least, that's the message some people take from it. :)

Ask yourself this: Did Christ preach tolerance and love for those whose opinions you do not share, or even those who oppose you? If so, then by all means go ahead. :p

g_1933: Respect for someone else's religion doesn't mean I think they're right. It means that, if they're ever in power, I want them to remember that, when Christians were the predominant social group, we were respectful of them, and maybe they'll return the favor. It's called enlightened self-interest, even apart from the clear commandments in the Bible. Not everyone is required to accept our beliefs; all we do when we get on their case about this in the short term is make sure that they distrust Christians in the long term. If you would have people accept your beliefs, you'd better start by showing them that your beliefs don't make people into jerks.

Upvote 0
Yes it's much better to have religious intolerance and zealousness. Much preferable indeed to have everybody jumping up and down stamping their feet and yelling about how only their view of the universe is correct. Maybe with luck we can get another Crusade going, or hijack a plane or two and fly them into buildings.

lol, the best truth I've heard so far writtn in sarcasm. Three cheers for havoc

Upvote 0