Why would eternal life hinge on a belief?

hubble9458

Nov 14, 2017
Sevierville
✟16,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello, hubble9458, and welcome to CF!

That is an extremely astute question.

You might find the ancient understanding of the early Church to make better sense of this (though it can take time and study to really begin to understand what that entails, so I fear I won't be able to make more than a simple rough outline here).

Firstly, the way you worded - "that God would require the blood of his murdered Son in order to forgive" is a quasi-step in the direction of what the early Church does not believe. Yes, Christ died on the cross for our sins, in order to reconcile us to God, and to defeat death (that second part is usually left out and is actually quite important). The part that the early Church rejects (which you didn't quite say) is that God had a problem, that He needed satisfaction and was incapable of forgiving otherwise, that He was somehow slave to some cosmic law that demanded God Himself provide satisfaction (to whom?) in order to balance the scales so He could forgive, and/or that it was the suffering that He demanded (a "pound of flesh") that SOMEONE had to pay before He became willing to forgive. All of these are the "step further" in reasoning that change the dynamic, indeed change the very nature of God - to suggest that He is either insufficient, impotent, a tyrant, or at worst, a monster. God forbid!

No, the early Christians would not have recognized such a "god" and it represents a change to the original Gospel (which means "Good news" ... how can this be "good news"?) Besides, in its extreme forms, it pits the will of the Father (to destroy sinners) against the will of the Son (to save sinners) and creates a division within the Holy Trinity which is impossible.

Christ was a sacrifice, His death did defeat death (because God cannot die, so death could not contain Him). But the subtle changes added in more modern theology warps this a bit.

As to belief ... it is not simple belief that saves us. Personally, I think it bizarre also that God should determine eternal condition based on whether we can make ourselves believe something. We can't, or in cases where we manage to, it represents disordered thinking, and God is not looking to cause mental illness in order to accept us. But if you decide to believe that the sky is green, you can't do it. Not only that, but the demons know who God is. They certainly believe, and even tremble, but that doesn't save them.

Belief is necessary to the point that someone who hears the (true) Gospel and absolutely rejects it would be doing so out of a heart that turns against God. But even a seed, a grain, of belief, God can fan to a flame (and knows how to lead us into faith, if we will but cooperate). Anyone who has zero belief would not waste time asking such questions.

Scripture mentions "saving faith". THIS is what we must have. There does need to be a conversion. For some people it happens suddenly, for some God brings them through many small steps in preparation. Conversion is an acceptance of the Gospel (this can be weak at first) but most importantly, the heart is turned toward God. The very fact of someone continuing to ask questions is evidence of this journey.

But it is not simple mental belief. A most important part happens because of that openness to God, the turning of the heart toward Him. This is where much of the rest of your post comes in. Christ is indeed our example, and THAT is truly what is important. Someone who is being saved will cooperate with the grace of God, do those things that Scripture instructs us to do (primarily act in love, but also flee sin, resist temptation, discipline our flesh, submit our thoughts to Christ). With God's help, we act as Christ acted, even think as Christ would have us think, and through this, God works in us to transform us to be in both the image and likeness of Christ - restores us to what God created us to be in the beginning. THAT is salvation. And through this process, we grow to know God better, to love Christ more, and as a result, the eternity we are going to spend in His Presence will be blessedness, joy, life.

It does involve belief and trust, but focusing on those alone creates a misperception. People start to think it's a process of mental gymnastics that "saves" us, and that is completely foreign to the early Church understanding. Rather, it is who we really become - are we like Christ? The very name "Christian" means "little Christ" ... it means to be like Him.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I think you are closer than you realize. Praying for you. God be with you!

Thank you Anastasia for your considerate reply.

As you say this topic seems difficult to cover in depth in a forum; but it appears that the orthodox christian position may be more compatible with me. I grew up in a protestant environment and have struggled with what I was taught as a child for over a decade. It has basically driven me to agnosticism while leaving an inexplicable yearning to find some version of christianity that resonates with me. I just need to find a perspective that doesn't leave me feeling as though i've sacrificed my intellectual integrity. What sources would you recommend for me to learn more about the beliefs of the early church? Are there any books, websites, or particular articles that could expand my knowledge in this area?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Anastasia for your considerate reply.

As you say this topic seems difficult to cover in depth in a forum; but it appears that the orthodox christian position may be more compatible with me. I grew up in a protestant environment and have struggled with what I was taught as a child for over a decade. It has basically driven me to agnosticism while leaving an inexplicable yearning to find some version of christianity that resonates with me. I just need to find a perspective that doesn't leave me feeling as though i've sacrificed my intellectual integrity. What sources would you recommend for me to learn more about the beliefs of the early church? Are there any books, websites, or particular articles that could expand my knowledge in this area?
You are most welcome. I remember asking some of these questions myself and have met many others who have also.

The body of theology is huge and very rich.

Some people like to learn from history, some prefer to take it one idea at a time. For Protestants, they are usually more concerned about making sure doctrines make sense and talk about interpreting Scripture.

I'd like to invite you to come to the EO board on CF - TAW. It's a great place to start and see what your concerns are and address them directly. It's always better (IMO) to be able to ask questions, because there are a lot of topics that we have a tendency to misunderstand and assume the other means something different, depending on our different backgrounds. The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

With that said, I could recommend the GOARCH website if you want online topics. Theology - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Ancient Faith Radio is good if you like podcasts. I'd recommend Orthodoxy Live by Fr. Evan Armitas (Orthodoxy Live | Ancient Faith Ministries), Faith Encouraged Live by Fr. Barnabas Powell (Faith Encouraged Live | Ancient Faith Ministries), At the Intersection of East and West by Dcn. Michael Hyatt (At the Intersection of East and West | Ancient Faith Ministries), and Our Life in Christ by Steve Robinson and Bill Gould (Our Life in Christ | Ancient Faith Ministries).

As for books, most people will mention The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos Ware (which is also available free online in pdf - Orthodox Church - Table of Contents - IntraText CT) but it's a kind of nuts and bolts, history and theology book.

Normally they don't send folks right into the thoughts/practice side of it, but there is such wisdom there. I suppose many want to be sure if doctrines first, but I think so many could benefit from books like Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives by Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica.

But what I'd really recommend is dropping by TAW. You can ask questions there and get more direct recommendations based on what you are particularly wanting to find out.

And of course there is no substitute for visiting a local Church. Directory of Parishes

I hope this helps and please do drop by TAW. We would be glad to greet you. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0