Why won't God 'show up' for people who are actually trying to live right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering...

A lot of my friends keep posting facebook updates that say, "God is good!", "I'm so blessed!", "I have God's favor", "I love my life!", etc. and I find myself getting jealous sometimes. Not to be judgemental or anything, but it doesn't seem like they are trying to sacrifice their entire life for God...as I am. They're living w/ their bf's (unwed), fornicating (<--I know them. Lol. They are :p) getting trashed every weekend, etc.

I mean, they go to church but so do I. I feel like I should be the one making those statements, and feeling like God is really showing up for me but I'm not. Why am I the miserable one w/ nothing, while they, who seem to care less, get all of the blessings? Is it just me or is that backwards? I feel like b/c I'm denying myself things I want to do (and they aren't), why am I the miserable one? I feel as if I should just do what I want to do...just like they are. I mean, we're both Christians so what's the difference?

**And before someone tells me that I shouldn't judge or give me a Bible verse that says, "You w/o sin, cast the first stone", I'm not judging them. I'm just comparing what I'm trying to do with my life to what they're not doing. I know life isn't fair...but it just doesn't seem fair, to me. It's kind of like, what's the point in trying? If God isn't going to show up and answer my prayers, I might as well find other things to make me happy. B/c clearly, he seems to give favor to those who do what they want to do anyway. *sigh*
The dark night of the soul...

The Dark Night

By St. John of the Cross
The Dark Night

An old book that Catholics use to understand this... essentially unavoidable experience. In order to find Christ... so save, so to speak, I spend a lot of time 'looking into the darkness.' It can take its toll.

Upvote 0
S

SportsJunkie25

Dont focus so much on just hoping, God has heard your prayers already.... Focus on him... We need to ask believe.. & let go.. we have to conceive our hopes & dreams then give them wings to fly, set them free to grow... all that you are waiting for like you has to prepare so that you can be the best for it & whatever it or who it is can be the best for you...

Ive been questioning him everyday for the past months.. sometimes screaming at him... feeling like everyone elses life is going forward but mine... & in complete anger yell at him & tell him you know Im feeling like a fool... trusting you with this situation that seems so foolish to believe what you want me to.. Im giving him my life.. dropping everything at his feet & here I am still struggling (inside)... but at the end of the day when Im about to fall asleep.. I feel blessed that Ive made it only one more day closer to this promise he has instilled in my heart.... its getting easier though.. Im not nearly breaking down walls & pulling out my hair... lol... just to get through the day anymore.. my bills are still sitting in idol.. waiting to be paid.. the only thing I can say to my mother is just be patient a woman who claims God but has no belief or PATIENCE... & wants me to tell her that.... Yet God exists whether we want to believe in him or not... so why not.. right???

I asked him that when I get back out there in the world.. no more small things... brave question/demand because he took it seriously and he has torn me completely down of all what is useless anymore... & what could possibly stop me or delay me or this next journey... He told me to release every anger resentment unforgiveness hate wrong attitude.. every small short lived goal or dream I put my passion into that no more has a purpose.. & it has definitely been brutal... severe depression... anxiety... I made it through I still am going but my world is a little more brighter (I even had to relive my abuse from chilhood to face it).. had I stepped out into this next chapter without this detox kind of phase I believe I could fall completely apart those apart of that chapter could suffer, my career, a beautiful relationship that may be waiting for me, anything.. Everday I want to walk away but I gave him my life whether Im believing it or not hes still taking me in his direction so I either have to enjoy it or regret the small moments I missed when the promise finally manifest .. Its hard to do cause I want to take it in my own hands but I know if its only in my hands I could destroy it.. Now Im counting each day reflecting on the difference of yesterday...

Just talk to him every now & then... he will show himself when you least expect.. he will strengthen your faith... God works one step at a time.. <3

You will have that moment "Oh that was God" many times.. they start out small.. just start looking & listening .. with your heart..

<3

Good response.

In response to the bold:

I can't "believe" if it has never happened before. I've "believed" for 2+ years and nothing has happend so now...I don't believe. My past shows me that believing gets me nowhere. Not sure how to change that...

What promise he instilled in your heart? I guess I don't have that. I'm trying to breakdown walls and pull out my hair when I TRUST that God is working b/c I don't see him working so I get anxious...and, of course, he's not working b/c my life is still a bummer.

How do you know you'll miss small manifest? See, I used to believe that but now I'm like, whatever. If it's really meant to be, I won't miss anything. I hate feeling like I 'have' to do something so I won't miss anything God has for me. Perhaps I'm going about this "relationship w/ God" in the wrong way, I don't know but whatever...I'm over it. I'll just live the best life I can live and go from there. I'm not saying I don't believe in God but I'm just sick of trying; it's gotten me nowhere and I guess if God wants to intervene and show me the way...he will. If not, guess it wasn't meant to be. :D And, how do you not take things in your hand when you don't see anything happening in your life? I've been waiting for 2yrs and I feel as if I've been foolish. Like, I haven't made any headway (career wise b/c I was waiting for God to show me how he can use me. And, I never felt peace w/ any of my career decisions...I felt like I should keep waiting on God.) and I'm not going to continue to do the same thing and get the same results...nothing. Time is ticking and I need to get a life. I need to move out of my parents house. I need to get my own apt. Basically, I just need to get on w/ my life and waiting on God hasn't gotten me anywhere...just lonely and confused. If he really wanted to help me, he would have helped me or at least showed himself w/in the past yr. Oh...and I've been looking.

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
Azle, Texas (Eagle Mountain Lake)
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering...

A lot of my friends keep posting facebook updates that say, "God is good!", "I'm so blessed!", "I have God's favor", "I love my life!", etc. and I find myself getting jealous sometimes. Not to be judgemental or anything, but it doesn't seem like they are trying to sacrifice their entire life for God...as I am. They're living w/ their bf's (unwed), fornicating (<--I know them. Lol. They are :p) getting trashed every weekend, etc.

I mean, they go to church but so do I. I feel like I should be the one making those statements, and feeling like God is really showing up for me but I'm not. Why am I the miserable one w/ nothing, while they, who seem to care less, get all of the blessings? Is it just me or is that backwards? I feel like b/c I'm denying myself things I want to do (and they aren't), why am I the miserable one? I feel as if I should just do what I want to do...just like they are. I mean, we're both Christians so what's the difference?

**And before someone tells me that I shouldn't judge or give me a Bible verse that says, "You w/o sin, cast the first stone", I'm not judging them. I'm just comparing what I'm trying to do with my life to what they're not doing. I know life isn't fair...but it just doesn't seem fair, to me. It's kind of like, what's the point in trying? If God isn't going to show up and answer my prayers, I might as well find other things to make me happy. B/c clearly, he seems to give favor to those who do what they want to do anyway. *sigh*

God has shown up for me, but I don't tout my religiousity and so-called "goodness" everywhere, as the Lord Jesus Christ strictly instructed us.

These people that do these things are often full of deceit. They do not even know God. They spout off slogans and sayings to impress people of how "good" they are. They do not want to know God. If they did -- they would do what He said to do.

Which is not to make a show of religion.

It sickens me.

This is surely an offensive message to those who are perishing. But, what do they know? The Hand of God is closing upon their souls. Do they repent? No. They lead people away from God instead of towards Him.

Upvote 0

Fixation On God

God knows your pain
May 30, 2009
Nebraska
✟8,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
whatever....
Look, when Jesus was about to raise Lazarus from the dead, He asked the disciples to roll away the stone. In other words Jesus had the disciples do what they "can". While God did what they can't.

So here's the thought out of that verse. We gotta do the natural, and God will do the supernatural.

So in a way your right about moving without God telling you anything. But the bible says all of our lives are predestined.

So yea God has a plan for you. Your just in the stage of Restlessness. You see Man prosper by their own ways instead of the ways of God, and it looks like you envy them.
Proverbs says, "Like a muddied pond, is the righteous who is taken in by the wicked." one version says "tainted". No one said you had to stay home all day and read your bible and pray..........
Now I don't know how desolate or populated of an area you live in, or if you have a local Wal-mart but, while your out, and you have the opportunity to misister to someone, take it, and when you see a homeless person, don't give them money, instead take them out to eat. Maybe nothing fancy of course, just like something at Mc'donalds.

But anyway, you got free will. Don't abuse it.:D

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus lived and did as we are supposed to do. The natural or the supernatural, our command is to follow Him.

The Holy Spirit should work in and through our lives in everything.

We have to give up our entire lives and follow His model. In everything, we should expect grace and the Lord to bless and work through.

Anything done by man is work by mere man and man stands condemned.

We can not live under both Law and Grace, the two contradict each other, if you trust in "rolling the rock" as a good deed you are wrong. If you trust in wearing a t-shirt and waving a flag or not eating sorts of meats or foods or recycling or whatever silly things people trust in for their salvation -- then you are no longer trusting in Jesus Christ within you and are in error.

Good deeds come naturally from those sanctified in the Spirit. There is no reason to fret about anything nor boast in any deed. There is no boasting - no pride - in our deeds which come from the Lord Jesus working within us. We should be wary about even trying to understand the ways of the Lord at all, for His ways are higher then man's ways as the Heavens are the earth. While we have the mind of Christ we still came from the earth. And God surely does not tell everyone everything.

Not yet, but He surely shall soon. As He said.

Upvote 0

Sackcloth

May 28, 2009
Texas
✟314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where is the blunt force?
You know your wrong lady, but it dosen't matter to you, so there is no reason for you to even have made this thread since your going to do what you want to do. Only purpose of this thread was to get some back-up for your decision.
"And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." ( Hebrews 11:6)

To ease a little of your distress: "You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." (James 2:24)

Sny, think you misunderstood FoG's statement, but I don't want to get into a quarrel.

Look FoG just didn't give scriptural back-up. but here: "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, &#8220;Go in peace, be warmed and filled,&#8221; without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, &#8220;You have faith and I have works.&#8221; Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. ... " James 2:14-26

Where does faith come from? "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

Some comforting scripture: "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him." (John 3:36) Ok so maybe the last part ain't so comforting.

Which is not to make a show of religion.

It sickens me.

He's right, God dosen't like religion, He likes unity, Religion seperates. The church is the most racist group out there in the world. (but that's another story.)

Reactions: hiplove79
Upvote 0

gabrielListens

eagles fly alone
Apr 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Calif.
✟17,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here are some scruptures that may help you get a better perspective on what you are going through:

On Money:

Evil people get rich for the moment,
but the reward of the godly will last.
Proverbs 11:18

Trust in your money and down you go!
But the godly flourish like leaves in spring.
Proverbs 11:28

If the righteous are rewarded here on earth,
what will happen to wicked sinners?
Proverbs 11:31

Give freely and become more wealthy;
be stingy and lose everything.

The generous will prosper;
those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.
Proverbs 11:24-25

Choose a good reputation over great riches;
being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold.
Proverbs 22:1

True humility and fear of the Lord
lead to riches, honor, and long life.
Corrupt people walk a thorny, treacherous road;
whoever values life will avoid it.
Proverbs 22:4-5

On Friends:

There are &#8220;friends&#8221; who destroy each other,
but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

The seeds of good deeds become a tree of life;
a wise person wins friends.
Proverbs 11:30

With their words, the godless destroy their friends,
but knowledge will rescue the righteous.
Proverbs 11:9

I had a lot more but I think those are enough for you to digest for now.

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correction, false religion separates. Truthful faith is what a Christian should be seeking.

He doesn't need correction nor does anyone else. False religion is what he meant.

You have to forgive the guy.

He just talks that way.

ROFL...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Good response.

In response to the bold:

I can't "believe" if it has never happened before. I've "believed" for 2+ years and nothing has happend so now...I don't believe. My past shows me that believing gets me nowhere. Not sure how to change that...

What promise he instilled in your heart? I guess I don't have that. I'm trying to breakdown walls and pull out my hair when I TRUST that God is working b/c I don't see him working so I get anxious...and, of course, he's not working b/c my life is still a bummer.

How do you know you'll miss small manifest? See, I used to believe that but now I'm like, whatever. If it's really meant to be, I won't miss anything. I hate feeling like I 'have' to do something so I won't miss anything God has for me. Perhaps I'm going about this "relationship w/ God" in the wrong way, I don't know but whatever...I'm over it. I'll just live the best life I can live and go from there. I'm not saying I don't believe in God but I'm just sick of trying; it's gotten me nowhere and I guess if God wants to intervene and show me the way...he will. If not, guess it wasn't meant to be. :D And, how do you not take things in your hand when you don't see anything happening in your life? I've been waiting for 2yrs and I feel as if I've been foolish. Like, I haven't made any headway (career wise b/c I was waiting for God to show me how he can use me. And, I never felt peace w/ any of my career decisions...I felt like I should keep waiting on God.) and I'm not going to continue to do the same thing and get the same results...nothing. Time is ticking and I need to get a life. I need to move out of my parents house. I need to get my own apt. Basically, I just need to get on w/ my life and waiting on God hasn't gotten me anywhere...just lonely and confused. If he really wanted to help me, he would have helped me or at least showed himself w/in the past yr. Oh...and I've been looking.

how do you not take things in your hand when you don't see anything happening in your life?

Well I attempted many times to take these situations Ive been going through the past months in my own hands.. & I only made it worse.. because at the time I was not in a very good place emotionally & even if I was at the time.. the old way to work the situation grew out its purpose.. it no effect anymore..

No the logical thing would be you cant believe if you've never seen. I could choose that myself to think that way... but I dont. I was right where your at only a short while ago... Where I was in a position that all Ive dedicated these past 5 years.. finally came to a break that it was not worth it.. so I struggled to live like others... live my old way where I knew God existed but he was only any good after I died.. & took my life in my own control.. but learned & still learning.. that my life was programed so much to work through Gods way.. that when I even looked back & acted as if God didnt have any hand in it.. nothing connected.. my life looked like everything happened by luck & coincidence.. nothing had meaning. If I take God out of those years I struggled then I take out every miracle I was given through them... I could have been killed by myself or others or permanently scarred many times with the decisions I made as a teen. Or my SF that was an alcoholic.. he could have been killed driving drunk like he did or killed someone innocent on the street (No longer does this) I wanted him to safely make it through that struggle without hurting himself or ESPECIALLY some innocent bystander.

God just doesnt work through the bad.. he works when things are absolutely perfect.. & everything is going great.. He gave me my Grandparents.. & my parents despite the mistakes they made towards us.. & He helped them live through there struggles.. so that they may see life differently someday & get a second chance..

But nothing is more beautiful when you feel his existence inside. When the best answered prayer is finally having peace in your soul & heart ... & when you actually for some reason want to treat others good.. (even when they have wronged you) ... its good to know that your works arent going unnoticed. When the rest of the world seems not to care at all about what you do you know there is someone greater then everyone that appreciates all of it.

There has got to something anything you can look back on and see that God had some hand in it .. good & bad...

Dont worry about those others.. at all.. you dont know where they stand in their faith.. what level God has them at.. I know their actions may not live up to what a believer in God should be like.. but God loves us all & has a unique purpose for us all. What gives me hope sometimes are people like that.. that at least they are thanking God for whatever it is in their life.. & allow God to take care of whatever actions he does not approve of.. or what might be hurting them.

Just focus on yourself & God.. Dont worry about them..

Do what you can do.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
What is the point in giving up?? Can you really take everything in your own hands??? If you're waiting on God to take care of something then regardless if you give up or not.. you have no control over that part. Thats Gods position to take care of in that situation.

Like I cant forcibly jump over a counter at a job interview.. & make them give me a job (even though I want to)... I have to patiently pray, do my part & wait.. in the meantime apply other places.. & wait...

Regardless that is not in my power.. so why not get God involved in it & maybe he'll bring me a job thats even better then the ones I was going after... ???

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

how do you not take things in your hand when you don't see anything happening in your life?

Well I attempted many times to take these situations Ive been going through the past months in my own hands.. & I only made it worse.. because at the time I was not in a very good place emotionally & even if I was at the time.. the old way to work the situation grew out its purpose.. it no effect anymore..

<snip>

I am saying, I had God give me that belief and it worked for me, now believe me, and then you have that gift as well.

Is that not how things work?

Have I made it too simple for us?

Love hopes and believes for you. Do not deny what you know to be true in your heart. Marry the woman and be through with it fast.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
A lot of you guys are saying their happiness is short term and stuff like that. Psshhh...at the rate I'm going, I'll take it! Also, I'm not saying I'm going to go out and sin, I'm just going to stop believing that there is a specific purpose for me and waiting to hear God's voice. To me, now, that seems foolish. Why? B/c I've prayed and tried and I get nothing...so now I'm like whatever...I'm not going to try anymore. If what's meant to be, will be then I guess whatever God wants for my life will happen and I'm not going to continue to make an effort anymore. Like I said in my previous posts, it just makes me unhappy. I feel like if God made me this way, then I'm not going to 'not' do something b/c there's a nagging feeling that says I'm not supposed to do it.

Now, it's not like I'm going to go out and get crazy. For most of my life, I've pretty much been a prude compared to most of my friends; must have been my Christian school upbringing. Lol. But seriously, I'm the "goody-goody" but every since college, I've gotten bitten by the drinking/partying bug. I don't really do that anymore but I'll probably start, again. I stopped, recently, b/c I felt like it's be a good testimony (and I just felt like God wanted me to give it up) but I don't care anymore. I'm bored. I'm lonely. I want to have fun. I've prayed for God to bring Godly friends into my life but do you think that prayer was answered? Of course not...just like the rest of them. Lol. I sound bitter, huh? :sorry:

Maybe thats what you are suppose to do... Get out there.. feel your old life again.. & You will see a difference...

Now I dont know if you can easily make it happily through life without him.. but I CANNOT! I have no strength or confidence without him.. he is the reason.. I even knew that good person in me existed or I could even believe I was a good person... Now Im praying for God to give me another chance at everything I let fall apart... & that is why this time it is crucial.. because his promise is everything I hoped for... & I stayed on the middle level because I was afraid of it before.. which only led me into a lower state when things fell apart because fear kept me from going higher..

When I tried to fit into my old life.. I felt dead.. because I grew too much to fit in such a small place again...

No matter what No one can convince you God exists...

I hope that you will keep him at a distance.. & not push him too far away...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jonah railed against God. Jeremiah complained, and God told him "you ain't seen nothing yet. It gets tougher as you go on". Elijah wanted to die. Peter struggled to get his head around the new scope of Jesus salvation - no longer were the Jewish people to be the sole recipients of God's promises. Abraham tried to help God out by impregnating his servant. The Psalmists often complained about God's fairness. Israel including the godly who were alive at the time suffered exile, hardship and slavery. Many NT Christians were martyred.

That's how it is sometimes. A gift wrapped consumer faith doesn't keep out the cold of hard reality. I reckon some of you here are discovering this.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jonah railed against God. Jeremiah complained, and God told him "you ain't seen nothing yet. It gets tougher as you go on". Elijah wanted to die. Peter struggled to get his head around the new scope of Jesus salvation - no longer were the Jewish people to be the sole recipients of God's promises. Abraham tried to help God out by impregnating his servant. The Psalmists often complained about God's fairness. Israel including the godly who were alive at the time suffered exile, hardship and slavery. Many NT Christians were martyred.

That's how it is sometimes. A gift wrapped consumer faith doesn't keep out the cold of hard reality. I reckon some of you here are discovering this.

John
NZ

And Moses tested God because of the complaints of the people. "Where is the water". So, Moses did not get to lead the people into the Promised Land. He did not wait and did not say, "The Lord Thy God says water will come from this rock". He said that he and Aaron would make water come from that rock.

And that rock is Christ.

But, God forgives all. He did make us, after all.

No one is righteous but the Lord God Almighty. Even the Patriarchs and Ancient Ones sinned.

But, where is boasting anyway? After all, any good anyone has done comes from God. And anything else comes from our own selfish spirits and flesh.

Still. It is good to imagine the pain these Patriarchs felt for their sins.

Surely, God reverses the past, even while He fulfills it.

What they gave up. They get back a hundred fold.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
And Moses tested God because of the complaints of the people. "Where is the water". So, Moses did not get to lead the people into the Promised Land. He did not wait and did not say, "The Lord Thy God says water will come from this rock". He said that he and Aaron would make water come from that rock.

And that rock is Christ.

But, God forgives all. He did make us, after all.

No one is righteous but the Lord God Almighty. Even the Patriarchs and Ancient Ones sinned.

But, where is boasting anyway? After all, any good anyone has done comes from God. And anything else comes from our own selfish spirits and flesh.

Still. It is good to imagine the pain these Patriarchs felt for their sins.

Surely, God reverses the past, even while He fulfills it.

What they gave up. They get back a hundred fold.

When you say God reverses the past... by that you mean that he can give us another chance at certain situations which you may feel were destroyed in the past... that you want another chance to make right???

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you say God reverses the past... by that you mean that he can give us another chance at certain situations which you may feel were destroyed in the past... that you want another chance to make right???

You post your words in red, as if they are sanctified by the Word of God, but they are not.

I am right with God.

It is impossible for me to think otherwise.

Your business is with God, and whether you feel right in your heart, I can tell you do not by your very words.

You should take warning, and if you find yourself weeping and gnashing your teeth, then you well know that judgement has come upon you.

Perhaps God will relent then, if you finally speak what is right. Perhaps not.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You post your words in red, as if they are sanctified by the Word of God, but they are not.

I am right with God.

It is impossible for me to think otherwise.

Your business is with God, and whether you feel right in your heart, I can tell you do not by your very words.

You should take warning, and if you find yourself weeping and gnashing your teeth, then you well know that judgement has come upon you.

Perhaps God will relent then, if you finally speak what is right. Perhaps not.

*PURPOSE OF CA: For Christians to come to other Christians, seeking advice of a Christian nature.

* Only post responding back to the OP
* No debate or arguing

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.