Why was there no religious worship in Eden?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him."

"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4)

Also, one result will be - in His presence is fullness of joy (Psa 16:11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him."

"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (John 4)

Okay so.. what Charismatics see in a verse like that, is they anticipate that it is a religious "spiritual" mystical experience.

But I would point you to the following.

Ezekiel 33
30 Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the Lord.
31 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

and this is Paralleled in Isaiah 29, which Jesus references in Matthew 15
13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

To worship God in spirit and truth is to do what God commands you to do with the right intentions and attitude.
If you do it begrudgingly, that's not in spirit and truth. That's going through the motions.
That's not what God wants.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think worship didn’t happen in Eden? Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man and man was created on the sixth day Genesis 1:26 before the first Sabbath celebrated in the presence of God. Genesis 2:1-3. Sin separated man from God, but when Jesus comes the saints will once again celebrate the Sabbath as the day of worship in the presence of the Lord. Isaiah 66:22-23. Until then we celebrate His holy day through His Spirit as a day to honor Him and be thankful for all the He has created for us. Isaiah 58:13, Exodus 20:8-11

Happy Sabbath!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What makes you think worship didn’t happen in Eden? God said the Sabbath was made for man and man was created on the sixth day Genesis 1:26 before the first Sabbath celebrated in the presence of God. Genesis 2:1-3. Sin separated man from God, but when Jesus comes the saints will once again celebrate the Sabbath as the day of worship in the presence of the Lord. Isaiah 66:22-23. Until then we celebrate His holy day through His Spirit as a day to honor Him and be thankful for all the He has created for us. Isaiah 58:13, Exodus 20:8-11

Happy Sabbath.

Jesus said the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath, and I'd argue it was not created for any need of God's either, it was created for a few reasons for men. #1 to guarantee rest, which we need, and the land needs as well, (if you farm land without rest indefinitely it depletes the nutrients from the soil, so the sabbath year gave the land a rest for the soil to regain nutrients as bacteria broke down and composted previous year's plant material), #2, it's an exercise in trust of God's providence, that God promised that you will get enough in 6 days/years to cover for the 7th day/year where you're not working.

It wasn't created for Religion which is the mistake Pharisees made in trying to nail Jesus over it constantly, it was created for our benefit so that we aren't working 7 days a week just to make money.

Because if you let men do that, they will do that, they will work themselves straight into an early grave deeming it necessary.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath, and I'd argue it was not created for any need of God's either, it was created for a few reasons for men. #1 to guarantee rest, which we need, and the land needs as well, (if you farm land without rest indefinitely it depletes the nutrients from the soil, so the sabbath year gave the land a rest for the soil to regain nutrients as bacteria broke down and composted previous year's plant material), #2, it's an exercise in trust of God's providence, that God promised that you will get enough in 6 days/years to cover for the 7th day/year where you're not working.

It wasn't created for Religion which is the mistake Pharisees made in trying to nail Jesus over it constantly, it was created for our benefit so that we aren't working 7 days a week just to make money.

Because if you let men do that, they will do that, they will work themselves straight into an early grave deeming it necessary.

This is what God said about His Sabbath, which I choose to follow His teachings…

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God.

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words

God claimed the seventh day as His holy day, the day for us to keep holy and to honor Him.

Man was created on the sixth day Genesis 1:26 right before the very first Sabbath Genesis 2:1-3 and honoring God is considered worship, doing His ways and not our own. Which is why the Sabbath continues to be the Lords chosen day or worship for all eternity, thus saith the Lord.

Isaiah 66:23 And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,”
says the Lord.

Which is why the saints keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus until the very end. Revelation 14:12

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Strong's H6942 sanctified: qâdash, kaw-dash'; a primitive root; to be (causatively, make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally):—appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, defile, hallow, (be, keep) holy(-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify(-ied one, self), wholly.

The word used for sanctified literally points to the observing of the seventh day as a holy day. Worship.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God made Adam and Eve and charged them with taking care of His garden, and to be fruitful and multiply and have dominion, and gave them no negative commandments aside from not eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There was no commandment to sing, or worship, perform any rituals or sacraments, mark their bodies in any way, observe any specific days, only one forbidden food, but also no special holy foods.

Religion itself, was seemingly, not created by God originally, but perhaps, like God acquiesced to Israel's desire for a King, religion was something that men created as a means to relate to God, so God gave the Israelites a religion. He gave ceremonies, feast days, rituals, sacraments, etc, but only after thousands of years, and basically to replace false religions practiced by the world with something that could be true, and using these religious activities to illustrate, both past events and prophetic events that would happen.

It's something that Jesus said that jumped at me, regarding the Sabbath.
Mark 2

It's not that God wants a special day for special religious purposes.
The Sabbath was simply to guarantee men that they would not work all the time but have sanctioned rest for their needs.
It was given religious purpose to enshrine that rest, to make sure that people got rest, and something else jumped at me

In Exodus 32, while Moses was on the mountain, the Israelites got restless and demanded Aaron make them a god for religious worship. Religion and religious worship, ceremonies, and rituals and sacraments, had become a need, and if the people were not given a religion by God to practice, they would create their own false religion, in an attempt to relate to God.

So the law, and all the religion attached to it.. was not made because it's what God desires of man necessarily, or Adam and Eve would have been given religion to practice in Eden, but rather the ceremonial law and sacraments and sacrifices and feast days, the religion, was given to Man for their desire to have a religion, and I believe that is because of the fall, that since Man's relationship to God was estranged, Man sought ways to relate to God.

But in the restoration, the relationship is reestablished, and God lives with us.
There is no temple.
Does that also mean there is no religion?

The more popular view I recognize, is that it becomes 24/7 religion.
Adam and Eve walked with God in Eden. The Holy Spirit dwelled in them. Correct, there is no religion. Jesus Christ of Nazareth restored the Holy Spirit once lost through Adam. The Temple was destroyed and now the beliver is the temple of His Holy Spirit. No religious gesture can give you His Spirit. It is a one on one relationship. Blessings.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is the way that God wants it to be, how He has always wanted it to be, He created man to rule the world, and through the God-man Jesus Christ, He fulfills that.
Yes but with only His will being done. Not our will, like man has done since eviction from the Garden

• Agree
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is written is just what we need in this fallen world. We don't know everything they did nor how long they were with God before the fall. HAHA I'm sure they did. Oh no one in all Heaven is commanded to worship Him.. all creation just wants to..

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is what God said about His Sabbath, which I choose to follow His teachings…

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God.

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words

God claimed the seventh day as His holy day, the day for us to keep holy and to honor Him.

Man was created on the sixth day Genesis 1:26 right before the very first Sabbath Genesis 2:1-3 and honoring God is considered worship, doing His ways and not our own. Which is why the Sabbath continues to be the Lords chosen day or worship for all eternity, thus saith the Lord.

Isaiah 66:23 And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,”
says the Lord.

Which is why the saints keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus until the very end. Revelation 14:12

Hope this helps!

You know what you do with that claim?
You agree with the Pharisees, and declare that Jesus sinned, that not only did He violate the Sabbath, but also lied about why it was created.
Because you have put Religion first.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God made Adam and Eve and charged them with taking care of His garden, and to be fruitful and multiply and have dominion, and gave them no negative commandments aside from not eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There was no commandment to sing, or worship, perform any rituals or sacraments, mark their bodies in any way, observe any specific days, only one forbidden food, but also no special holy foods.

Religion itself, was seemingly, not created by God originally, but perhaps, like God acquiesced to Israel's desire for a King, religion was something that men created as a means to relate to God, so God gave the Israelites a religion. He gave ceremonies, feast days, rituals, sacraments, etc, but only after thousands of years, and basically to replace false religions practiced by the world with something that could be true, and using these religious activities to illustrate, both past events and prophetic events that would happen.

It's something that Jesus said that jumped at me, regarding the Sabbath.
Mark 2

It's not that God wants a special day for special religious purposes.
The Sabbath was simply to guarantee men that they would not work all the time but have sanctioned rest for their needs.
It was given religious purpose to enshrine that rest, to make sure that people got rest, and something else jumped at me

In Exodus 32, while Moses was on the mountain, the Israelites got restless and demanded Aaron make them a god for religious worship. Religion and religious worship, ceremonies, and rituals and sacraments, had become a need, and if the people were not given a religion by God to practice, they would create their own false religion, in an attempt to relate to God.

So the law, and all the religion attached to it.. was not made because it's what God desires of man necessarily, or Adam and Eve would have been given religion to practice in Eden, but rather the ceremonial law and sacraments and sacrifices and feast days, the religion, was given to Man for their desire to have a religion, and I believe that is because of the fall, that since Man's relationship to God was estranged, Man sought ways to relate to God.

But in the restoration, the relationship is reestablished, and God lives with us.
There is no temple.
Does that also mean there is no religion?

The more popular view I recognize, is that it becomes 24/7 religion.
If we no longer sin, there will be no need for a place for repentance.
But we will still worship God in heaven according to the Bible.
Maybe we just won't need a preacher.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In Eden, Adam and Eve's religious worship of God was total and perfect. What makes you think otherwise?

Well if they had religious practices, they did a poor job of passing down the traditions to their descendants because God had to give the instructions for a religion thousands of years later to Moses.

now I'm not saying that Adam and Eve didn't worship God, they did, until they disobeyed Him they worshiped Him perfectly, because they were in obedience, serving the purpose that God had created them to do.

What I am saying is they lacked a religious structure for it, because Religion is Man's attempts to relate to God, they didn't need to try any sort of rituals to relate to God, they just.... walked and talked with Him.

My argument is that religion, was invented because Man sought a means to relate to a God he could no longer see, walk, and talk with.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yes but with only His will being done. Not our will, like man has done since eviction from the Garden

It's a bit of both. your will will be in accordance with His will, as Adam was charged with naming the animals, God did not give him the names by any means, but asked Adam for input and God's will was not violated by any name that Adam chose for any thing. If God delegates authority to you, you have authority to make decisions on God's behalf, with the idea that you make wise decisions that God will agree with. Frankly God already knows every decision you will make, and so if He has delegated authority to you, He has accepted the decisions you will make for that thing.

This is of course, in the Millennial Kingdom and New Earth, post resurrection, new body, and sinless. So you wouldn't make the same decisions you do now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My argument is that religion, was invented because Man sought a means to relate to a God he could no longer see, walk, and talk with.
And made it through their own eyes so they could relate God to themselves rather than themselves to God

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What I am saying is they lacked a religious structure for it, because Religion is Man's attempts to relate to God, they didn't need to try any sort of rituals to relate to God, they just.... walked and talked with Him.
Exactly. They were perfectly related to God, therefore their religious worship of him was perfect and complete. Why are you hung up on structure, and what makes you think there was no structure to their interactions?

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Right, he was given artistic licence.

and I think we will get some license as well we'll know how to rule rightly in accordance with God's will but it's not like God's going to be dictating what color of shirts we wear or whatever.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and I think we will get some license as well we'll know how to rule rightly in accordance with God's will but it's not like God's going to be dictating what color of shirts we wear or whatever.
Any governance if human at all will be left up to the saints within the city over the masses outside. They proved themselves worthy here. But to think the Kingdom will in any way shape or form resemble the world of man in governance or institution is an impossibility for they are built upon opposing foundations.

Upvote 0