Why was there no religious worship in Eden?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God made Adam and Eve and charged them with taking care of His garden, and to be fruitful and multiply and have dominion, and gave them no negative commandments aside from not eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

There was no commandment to sing, or worship, perform any rituals or sacraments, mark their bodies in any way, observe any specific days, only one forbidden food, but also no special holy foods.

Religion itself, was seemingly, not created by God originally, but perhaps, like God acquiesced to Israel's desire for a King, religion was something that men created as a means to relate to God, so God gave the Israelites a religion. He gave ceremonies, feast days, rituals, sacraments, etc, but only after thousands of years, and basically to replace false religions practiced by the world with something that could be true, and using these religious activities to illustrate, both past events and prophetic events that would happen.

It's something that Jesus said that jumped at me, regarding the Sabbath.
Mark 2
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
It's not that God wants a special day for special religious purposes.
The Sabbath was simply to guarantee men that they would not work all the time but have sanctioned rest for their needs.
It was given religious purpose to enshrine that rest, to make sure that people got rest, and something else jumped at me

In Exodus 32, while Moses was on the mountain, the Israelites got restless and demanded Aaron make them a god for religious worship. Religion and religious worship, ceremonies, and rituals and sacraments, had become a need, and if the people were not given a religion by God to practice, they would create their own false religion, in an attempt to relate to God.

So the law, and all the religion attached to it.. was not made because it's what God desires of man necessarily, or Adam and Eve would have been given religion to practice in Eden, but rather the ceremonial law and sacraments and sacrifices and feast days, the religion, was given to Man for their desire to have a religion, and I believe that is because of the fall, that since Man's relationship to God was estranged, Man sought ways to relate to God.

But in the restoration, the relationship is reestablished, and God lives with us.
There is no temple.
Does that also mean there is no religion?

The more popular view I recognize, is that it becomes 24/7 religion.

Reactions: YahuahSaves

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Adam sang in Genesis 2:23, so singing was a thing.
Flesh Of My Flesh, Leon Patillo (1981)
Most of the artifacts of "religion" that you cite in the OP are tied to our redemption, which was not necessary when they were still in the Garden. They had daily, face-to-face contact with God...!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think Adam and Eve had some sort of union with God that humanity lost in the fall, yes.

Central to the answer to your question is the lack of need for sacrifice. No offense had been committed so no atonement was needed. Worship in the form of sacrifice only began after the fall.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Adam sang in Genesis 2:23, so singing was a thing.
Flesh Of My Flesh, Leon Patillo (1981)
Most of the artifacts of "religion" that you cite in the OP are tied to our redemption, which was not necessary when they were still in the Garden. They had daily, face-to-face contact with God...!

says "said" not sang and it certainly was not a hymn or psalm of worship to God, as it was centered around Eve.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
says "said" not sang and it certainly was not a hymn or psalm of worship to God, as it was centered around Eve.
True, but it was an example of a song (rap?) and it happened on the day he & she were created, Day 6.

• Haha
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Central to the answer to your question is the lack of need for sacrifice. No offense had been committed so no atonement was needed. Worship in the form of sacrifice only began after the fall.

Well if you look at Genesis 2 and 3, there also wasn't other forms of worship, not in the sense that we'd associate with any religious practice.

There was a relationship, where God gave things to Adam, and Adam obeyed God when God told him to do something, like name the animals. There was a bit of a back and forth, direct, intimate relationship... that God would give man agency to do something like, name things, rather than just tell Adam what all these animals were, He wanted Adam's input.

There was no need to relate to God through ritual of any kind, not through praise song, not through prayer, not through bowing and kneeling, not through any kind of sacrament.
The relationship was just face to face, interacting, person to person.

The fall sundered that relationship, and God symbolized it with the veil. Now man sought to relate to God, but could not, so man thought of means to try to appease God to relate to Him. God eventually acquiesced and gave them sanctioned practices to illustrate how He would ultimately restore the relationship
But once that relationship is fully realized.. will we need religion at all anymore?

Now the veil is torn, but the relationship is in a "now but not yet" state, where we can relate to God through His son, but also, we do not see God face to face, there's still distance, we still relate through religious practice such as prayer, fasting, gathering and singing, sacraments, etc.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A rap song? Lol!
There was no accompaniment available until Jubal [Genesis 4:21].
full

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But once that relationship is fully realized.. will we need religion at all anymore?
"Religion?" No, but music seems to be big in the book of Revelation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"Religion?" No, but music seems to be big in the book of Revelation.

Of course I'm not saying music would necessarily go by any means, but in the final consummation, would it still be required as a means of worship and relating to God? Would it still serve its current religious purpose?

My hypothesis is that religion, including all the psalms and hymns, were not made because God has need of them or desires them in particular, but rather because they serve a need for man. Man desires religion because of his estrangement from God.

if it had even been a need or desire of God's as a result of the fall, Adam and Eve would have been given Religion on their expulsion to Eden.
But they didn't. It was man who first began to make offerings to God to attempt to appease God and relate to Him, first Cain and Abel.
So religion I believe was something man created. God simply steered it in the right direction when it had gone way off course over time and people had been making offerings to devils.

That said, of course people will still create music, always, and in any music, often times is used to either tell a story, or to express emotion, principally love, so of course people would always, even without religious ceremony, create songs of love directed towards God, and songs recounting events that happened involving God. What may differ, is this ordinance to gather in a building on a special day and as a ceremonious practice, sing these gongs.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But in the restoration, the relationship is reestablished, and God lives with us.
There is no temple.
Does that also mean there is no religion?

The more popular view I recognize, is that it becomes 24/7 religion.

As it was, right after Jesus ascended and the people rather than create a religion, simply lived the way they were taught to, calling themselves the Way. They had three tasks, to not put their will ahead of the will of God, thus loving all as self, and to spread the good news that God was returning to take away the governance of man from man, both secular and religious.

Then along comes the blind and rebuilt Jesus' way of life into a religion that resembled all religions and institutions that went before, following of course the governance of man. The counter-culture of the Kingdom was replaced with just another culture of man.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As it was, right after Jesus ascended and the people rather than create a religion, simply lived the way they were taught to, calling themselves the Way. They had three tasks, to not put their will ahead of the will of God, thus loving all as self, and to spread the good news that God was returning to take away the governance of man from man, both secular and religious.

Then along comes the blind and rebuilt Jesus' way of life into a religion that resembled all religions and institutions that went before, following of course the governance of man. The counter-culture of the Kingdom was replaced with just another culture of man.

That's not what the bible says at all... Jesus came to restore man's governance and dominion, not take it away or destroy it.
God's plan has always been for man to have dominion of the Earth. from Genesis 1 to Revelation 21 from the old Earth to the New Earth, the plan is for Man to have dominion.

Revelation 2
26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

Revelation 3
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

The whole point of what Jesus bought for us is our dominion, restoring it to us taking it away from Satan and his angels. It is a shared rulership.

Revelation 5
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Revelation 20
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Revelation 21
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Brother the family business of God is ruling the universe, and in His family, governorship is how you fulfill your purpose and serve Him, by having dominion over what He charges you with.
It may be a little
It may be a lot

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day..."

The well-known voice that they were in God's presence and revealing what their relationship had been.

What could have been better?

Literally nothing, and that is why every fiber of my being aches for the loss of Eden.
2 lovers married in fellowship with their creator, in Paradise that God created and declared good, all their needs provided for, given dominion of the Earth, no religion, and given only the most simple of commands, and we still blew it, and had to replace it with religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's not what the bible says at all... Jesus came to restore man's governance and dominion, not take it away or destroy it.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven. The Father's, not mankind's kingdoms or will. Not to forget Jesus' ONLY gospel was the Gospel of the Kingdom, a counter-culture to the culture of self serving man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jamdoc that's where praise and worship comes in. Worship isn't singing but can lead to worship. Praise is easy, worship isn't. It's not verbal. It's Spirit to spirit and spirit to Spirit communication. Focusing on who God is and humbling ourselves before Him.

Might want to check out a thread in the Spirit Filled/Charismatic forum, "What's the difference between praise and worship." Knew some info but learned more about it.

Religion doesn't fulfill us, worship does. Adam and Eve worshipped God and we can, too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven. Not to forget Jesus' ONLY gospel was the Gospel of the Kingdom, a counter-culture to the culture of man of self serving man.

Yes but it is a shared rulership. Jesus also promised the rewards of ruling cities on His return.

I'm baffled at where would you get your doctrine that the point was for us to lose our governance when until Christ returns we don't even have it.

Man doesn't rule this world, Satan does.
Luke 4
5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Now mind you a man will accept Satan's offer, a man will rule this world, the real Christ rejected the offer to gain the world from Satan, but the Antichrist will take it.

Revelation 13
2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.

but when Christ returns, He takes dominion of the Earth back from Satan, and restores it to us, He rules and reigns, but we rule and reign with Him. It is the way that God wants it to be, how He has always wanted it to be, He created man to rule the world, and through the God-man Jesus Christ, He fulfills that.

Daniel 7
21 I beheld, and the same horn made war with the saints, and prevailed against them;
22 Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.

and
25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.
26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.
27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

This is why Jesus is the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords
Because while we are given Dominions, all Dominions ultimately serve Jesus.

Right now? We don't rule, we've been stripped of rulership. Paul in 2 Corinthians 4 refers to Satan as the god of this world.

Deuteronomy 32
8 When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, when he divided mankind, he fixed the borders of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God.
God gave dominion to Satan and his angels, that is what Luke 4 refers to, that Satan had been given the world to rule, until Jesus seizes it from him at the appointed time.

Daniel 10
12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.
13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

You think the Prince of Persia that withstood an Angel from reaching Daniel for 21 days was a man, and he needed the Archangel Michael to help him against a man?

Ephesians 6
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Our enemies govern this world, not us. Jesus did not come to take away something we don't even currently have, He came to restore to us what God wants us to have but we lost.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Jamdoc that's where praise and worship comes in. Worship isn't singing but can lead to worship. Praise is easy, worship isn't. It's not verbal. It's Spirit to spirit and spirit to Spirit communication. Focusing on who God is and humbling ourselves before Him.

Might want to check out a thread in the Spirit Filled/Charismatic forum, "What's the difference between praise and worship." Knew some info but learned more about it.

Religion doesn't fulfill us, worship does. Adam and Eve worshipped God and we can, too.

Worship ultimately is obeying God and serving the purpose you were created to do for Him.

So as long as Adam and Eve had obeyed God, they weren't obligated to do any singing or bowing or even praising, because God had commanded them to have Dominion, and be fruitful and multiply, and He had given them every thing and given them freedom in all things except one thing.

If they had obeyed Him in that, then they were serving the purpose that God had created them to do, and thus been in perfect worship of God.
But they disobeyed, and thus were not worshiping God.

Upvote 0