Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is nonsense. It's not one or the other. Improving living standards in conjunction with vaccination reduced the incidence of disease. So yes clean water is critical. But clean water alone will not eradicate communicable diseases. To illustrate, many communicable diseases are transmitted by air or droplet infection.

• Winner
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If God is with you; why would you need a vaccine?
Excellent point, if one believes they will go to heaven when they die, they'd probably not want to delay possible methods of dying naturally. However, consider that if you don't live as long, you can't convert as many people, and you might spread illnesses to non-believers and unintentionally kill them before they have the chance to convert.

I'm so glad that I live in a country founded on protecting my unalienable God given right to be secure in my person.
Ok. I'm glad I can walk because I've never had polio. I'm glad I've never had chickenpox or smallpox. I'm glad I live in the modern era in which people have the opportunity not to have their life ruined by some common viral diseases.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Canada is part of America (as are about 35 other nations) and that is not true here. Vaccines are provided at no charge to everyone as needed.
Under Obamacare, vaccines are free of charge as long as the healthcare provider is covered by one's insurance. There are pharmacies that fall under this distinction.

Anyone on welfare also gets free vaccines in the US.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Excuse me? In what fantasy is there 0 evidence?

Wow. that's insane.

Further, you obviously haven't been reading the articles posted here on this thread.

How disrespectful and insanely offensive.

I guess maybe u just want to rant and pick arguments if you dont even listen to what people say.

I dont see how this is very Christian ,all this extremely arrogant behavior.

It is also very obviously insanely dominating behavior.

Personally i'm beginning to suspect you just either want every one else to develop autism as well because you suffer from it, or you are desperately trying to convince yourself that vaccinations didn't cause it by trying to bully us into believing in the (insane) "infallibility" of vaccinations.
To state that vaccines cause autism is perpetuating a myth. Look at the systematic reviews of autism v vaccination completed in the last fifteen years. There is not a single study that supports your myth. Unless your quoting something like Natural therapies monthly magazine

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
0 evidence that vaccines are harmful, aside from as very rare side effects
tons of evidence that vaccines prevent disease and can even help protect people that can't get them, including the eradication of smallpox.

Plenty of people think things are harmful which aren't, and I don't think my health or anyone else's should be compromised because of the ignorance of their neighbors.

-_- are you seriously telling me to prove that sick people can infect other people, potentially killing those people? Really?
No. I'm asking you to prove that "choosing not to be vaccinated harms other people".

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
One always bumps up against opposition when one attempts to remove 'optional' from any public policy.

In America, we have entire populations (ie homeless and poor) who simply can not afford the vaccines. What does one do with those people when 'optional' is taken away?

There will always be some people who are simply contrary because that is their nature. How do we monitor them to ensure they have their vaccines current?

How would we even find out who has been vaccinated or not?

The amount of bureaucracy needed to ensure that 'optional' really goes away is mind boggling.

Perhaps the better approach is to work harder to make people aware of the need for vaccines and to make the vaccines both readily available and free. That would cost less than trying to enforce mandatory vaccination.
In Australia we simply make vaccinations free

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
0 evidence that vaccines are harmful, aside from as very rare side effects
tons of evidence that vaccines prevent disease and can even help protect people that can't get them, including the eradication of smallpox.

Plenty of people think things are harmful which aren't, and I don't think my health or anyone else's should be compromised because of the ignorance of their neighbors.

-_- are you seriously telling me to prove that sick people can infect other people, potentially killing those people? Really?
I think this is just another one of those issues where even the experts can't agree. Some studies (often funded by pharmaceutical companies) seem to show vaccines are safe, others seem to show they are not. There are claims that pharmaceutical companies withhold funded studies that show vaccines cause harm, and it is readily seen that experts are vilified for questioning vaccines. These facts do not induce trust in the community for vaccination.

Even the warning labels on vaccines include some of the potential risks, so they are clearly identified hazards associated with vaccination.

If you truly are concerned about your health being compromised because of your neighbors, perhaps consider living in a country where medical totalitarianism rules, or at least a like-minded community where everyone vaccinates. I think you will find your health in such places to be significantly more at risk due to other conditons like lack of clean water or electricity, than unvaccination causes in the free places in America.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If God is with you; why would you need a vaccine?

I'm so glad that I live in a country founded on protecting my unalienable God given right to be secure in my person.
So I gather you do not support medical treatments

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
One always bumps up against opposition when one attempts to remove 'optional' from any public policy.
I agree. People love the freedom of choice, even when most of the options are plainly self-destructive.

In America, we have entire populations (ie homeless and poor) who simply can not afford the vaccines. What does one do with those people when 'optional' is taken away?
The situation with homeless people is rather sad for sure, but soup kitchens providing vaccines would help greatly. It would not be reasonable to think that everyone that could get vaccinated would once it became an obligation, but it would ensure that enough would to keep herd immunity maintained.

There will always be some people who are simply contrary because that is their nature. How do we monitor them to ensure they have their vaccines current?
Children can't attend school without keeping up to date on vaccines, and IDs are not issued without them. Simple enough, really. Of course, those which have physical issues which prevent them from getting vaccines would have notes to excuse them from it.

How would we even find out who has been vaccinated or not?
-_- medical records. Your doctor can confirm if you have gotten vaccines or not. It's not like people get vaccinated in bars or something. Schools also keep records of vaccinations.

The amount of bureaucracy needed to ensure that 'optional' really goes away is mind boggling.
Most of it is actually already there.

Perhaps the better approach is to work harder to make people aware of the need for vaccines and to make the vaccines both readily available and free.
They are free under Obamacare, and I have never seen a person denied a vaccine because of a lack of availability in the US (with the exception of extremely bad flu seasons, then vaccines are kept for use on the young and the old first).

That would cost less than trying to enforce mandatory vaccination.
Not if you take into account the hospital bills from preventable disease outbreaks.

• Informative
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Excellent point, if one believes they will go to heaven when they die, they'd probably not want to delay possible methods of dying naturally. However, consider that if you don't live as long, you can't convert as many people, and you might spread illnesses to non-believers and unintentionally kill them before they have the chance to convert.

How many people are you talking about? How many people don't have the option of receiving a vaccine? Is it as many as the unvancinated illegal aliens who are pouring into this country? Is it as many who fall ill after being injected with a vaccine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Nope, the complications of the procedures alone would result in more sick people instead, which is why doctors don't just cut people open on a whim.
The irony here is that exactly the same argument you use here against these medical interventions can also be used against vaccines. Its just which doctors and which studies one chooses to trust.

-_- why are you bringing eugenics into this?
This is the logical conclusion of government mandated medicine, taken to its extreme.

You act like making people make healthy choices is evil just because it limits choice, but every law limits choice. People don't get to kill people because their religion dictates it should, is that totalitarian? Should rape be legalized because the law limits freedom? Laws limit harmful behaviors all the time, and refusing to be vaccinated is demonstrably harmful to yourself and other people.
Rape clearly impacts another person. Not vaccinating does not, and as someone stated previously, if it does, prove it in a court of law.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How many people are you talking about? How many people don't have the option of receiving a vaccine? Is it as many as the unvancinated illegal aliens who are pouring into this country? Is it as many who fall ill after being injected with a vaccine?
Perhaps the answer is to say, if you don't want to protect the society you live in and deliberately avoid protection from infection, then isolate yourself from society and live alone.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think this is just another one of those issues where even the experts can't agree. Some studies (often funded by pharmaceutical companies) seem to show vaccines are safe, others seem to show they are not. There are claims that pharmaceutical companies withhold funded studies that show vaccines cause harm, and it is readily seen that experts are vilified for questioning vaccines. These facts do not induce trust in the community for vaccination.
If the studies were hidden about vaccines causing harm, then why don't we see more kids dying? Children are vaccinated more than anyone else, so where is the pile of dead children? Oh wait, vaccines even at their worst aren't near as deadly as the diseases they prevent. So, which is better, 100 people a year having severe reactions to vaccines, or tens of thousands of people a year dying from the diseases those vaccines prevent?

Even the warning labels on vaccines include some of the potential risks, so they are clearly identified hazards associated with vaccination.
No duh, in my own OP, I provided a link to known side effects of common vaccinations. From the CDC, no one is hiding the fact that vaccines can have side effects. The issue is, the side effects are extremely rare, and the diseases that the vaccines prevent have worse effects. So, because one in a million kids might go into a coma from a vaccine, you think that justifies thousands of kids dying instead? Most of the side effects, even the nasty ones, are temporary. Brain damage from a high fever is not temporary.

If you truly are concerned about your health being compromised because of your neighbors, perhaps consider living in a country where medical totalitarianism rules, or at least a like-minded community where everyone vaccinates.
My health isn't compromised because I get vaccines. I'll be fine, regardless of what people do. I actually care about the other people affected by this, many whom can't just move to a new location to avoid plague. Why don't you and all the other anti-vax people just move to the South pole? It's pretty much the same thing as what you are asking me to do.

I think you will find your health in such places to be significantly more at risk due to other conditons like lack of clean water or electricity, than unvaccination causes in the free places in America.
No crap. In places in which disease runs rampant, people do everything they can to reduce it, which is why they appreciate vaccines. The only reason you don't is because you have the luxury of living in a country that has had vaccines for so long that people hardly remember the horrors of those illnesses. So many people don't know that the flu can kill them, and so many people are mistaken about its symptoms, they don't even realize that they have never had it. Puking, for example, is extremely rare with the flu. It's a miserable week to two weeks of high fever that just won't go down, muscles and bones aching to the point that you can hardly move. It is miserable. I am pretty sure anyone that gets the real flu loses more money from not being able to work than they'd ever have to pay for a vaccine (they actually aren't expensive, look it up).

But hey, why not have both? Clean water and vaccines is healthier than just one or the other.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Since choosing not to be vaccinated can harm other people, I do not think this is a choice people should be allowed to make.
"Since choosing not to follow the Buddhist Eightfold-Path can harm other people, I do not think this is a choice people should be allowed to make."

Reactions: bk199
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The irony here is that exactly the same argument you use here against these medical interventions can also be used against vaccines. Its just which doctors and which studies one chooses to trust.

This is the logical conclusion of government mandated medicine, taken to its extreme.

Rape clearly impacts another person. Not vaccinating does not, and as someone stated previously, if it does, prove it in a court of law.
If you would like I can provide you with systematic reviews. They are a review of all studies on the topic. My point is that, except for the rare cases of patients having an allergy to immunization products, you are unnecessarily placing society at risk, particularly the vulnerable, by perpetuating a disease. In Australia you can't take a child to child care centres unless they are vaccinated. The concept here is of you want to ignore the evidence, then fine, don't come near the rest of us and that goes for your kids as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Incorrect, seeing as vaccines demonstrably do prevent disease, and illness from them is exceedingly rare. But do tell me of all the people you have met with polio lately.

Vaccines aren't extreme. It's literally getting injected with a weakened virus so that you immune system makes antibodies that will stop the real deal from infecting cells. No more, no less.

Do you deny that a person with the flu can spread it to other people? How do you think diseases work? If you agree that diseases like the flu are transmissible from person to person, what would I have to prove?

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"Since choosing not to follow the Buddhist Eightfold-Path can harm other people, I do not think this is a choice people should be allowed to make."
You should be aware that the eight fold path you refer to, is about ones personal beliefs and inner the developmemts. Why would you use such a thing in this thread. I know your e being a tad sarcastic to argue a case against vaccination, but using the eight fold path as your case is a bit undignified imo

Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Incorrect, seeing as vaccines demonstrably do prevent disease, and illness from them is exceedingly rare. But do tell me of all the people you have met with polio lately.
At one stage, tonsillectomy was routine as it demonstrably prevented disease. Many studies used even today demonstrate that circumcision prevents disease. Brad Pitt's ex-wife even had her breasts removed to prevent disease. However, to mandate these things would be totalitarian.

But do tell me of all the people you have met with polio lately.
I haven't met anyone with polio, but I put this down to good sanitation, rather than vaccination.

Vaccines aren't extreme. It's literally getting injected with a weakened virus so that you immune system makes antibodies that will stop the real deal from infecting cells. No more, no less.
The risks include death and symptoms with the severity of autism - not a decision to be taken lightly by someone not prepared to pay the price.

Do you deny that a person with the flu can spread it to other people?
Its not understood well enough, or vaccinated populations would be demonstrably more resistant to disease than unvaccinated. Not everyone exposed to a disease contracts it, whether vaccinated or not.

How do you think diseases work? If you agree that diseases like the flu are transmissible from person to person, what would I have to prove?
How is deliberately exposing someone to the risks of disease less risky than allowing the opportunity for the disease to pass over someone?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At one stage, tonsillectomy was routine as it demonstrably prevented disease. Many studies used even today demonstrate that circumcision prevents disease. Brad Pitt's ex-wife even had her breasts removed to prevent disease. However, to mandate these things would be totalitarian.

I haven't met anyone with polio, but I put this down to good sanitation, rather than vaccination.

The risks include death and symptoms with the severity of autism - not a decision to be taken lightly by someone not prepared to pay the price.

Its not understood well enough, or vaccinated populations would be demonstrably more resistant to disease than unvaccinated. Not everyone exposed to a disease contracts it, whether vaccinated or not.

How is deliberately exposing someone to the risks of disease less risky than allowing the opportunity for the disease to pass over someone?
Are you able to show me even one single research article in the last fifteen years linking autism to vaccines

Upvote 0