Why Vaccinations Shouldn't be Optional

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
You should be aware that the eight fold path you refer to, is about ones personal beliefs and inner the developmemts. Why would you use such a thing in this thread. I know your e being a tad sarcastic to argue a case against vaccination, but using the eight fold path as your case is a bit undignified imo
Not at all. It is perfectly equivalent.

I have no proof regarding the OP's claim. As far as I can tell, most people don't have direct proof either. They are relying on faith in the words of their chosen prophets - in this case regarding vaccines, it is faith in the pronouncements of their preferred "scientists".

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I have no proof regarding the OP's claim. As far as I can tell, most people don't have direct proof either. They are relying on faith in the words of their chosen prophets - in this case regarding vaccines, it is faith in the pronouncements of their preferred "scientists".
Not preferred scientists but all.....ALL. you will be unable to cite a single scientist that links autism to vaccines. Do a search of the last fifteen years. On the contrary the benefits are obvious. But the effect relies on us taking the responsibility of being immune or the disease continues to be perpetuated. I only ask that people act on evidence from genuine double blinded peer reviewed research, and not some opinion piece from a natural therapies magazine. And plz don't reduce the dignity of Buddhism

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Not preferred scientists but all.....ALL. you will be unable to cite a single scientist that links autism to vaccines. Do a search of the last fifteen years.
Wrong. Here's one, for example.

Whatever the case might be, I am arguing for freedom of choice in relation to vaccines. Autism is only one other concern, but not my main one.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
At one stage, tonsillectomy was routine as it demonstrably prevented disease.
Incorrect, since that's not why tonsils are removed. Tonsils are removed if a person keeps having them infected and enlarged because they risk having their airway blocked by them. Tonsils themselves exist as a barrier to infection, and the only reason they can get infected frequently is because they are on the front lines. For health overall, it is better to keep them when you can.

Many studies used even today demonstrate that circumcision prevents disease.
Not by much; clearly, STDs still spread to circumcised men, and condoms are better at preventing them than being maimed. Also, do you not know that circumcision has a lot of horrid side effects, and that one of the guaranteed ones is reduced sensation? Vaccines don't guarantee any side effects.

Brad Pitt's ex-wife even had her breasts removed to prevent disease.
An extreme reaction to the fact that she was genetically predisposed to breast cancer... which doesn't even mean she was going to get it.

However, to mandate these things would be totalitarian.
Like mandating going to school? Anarchy ain't much better.

I haven't met anyone with polio, but I put this down to good sanitation, rather than vaccination.
Good sanitation doesn't do crap for a disease that can spread through the air, and polio is one of them. Also, not like every lake in the US is sanitized. How many people you know with smallpox, friend?

The risks include death and symptoms with the severity of autism - not a decision to be taken lightly by someone not prepared to pay the price.
0 evidence that vaccines cause autism, and you say that like autism is something people can just acquire. No 6 year old acquires autism just then, autism symptoms show up as early as 6 months of age. But I guess you'd rather a dead baby than a socially awkward one. After all, the most common form of autism isn't severe and can be lived with. Brain damage from a fever, on the other hand... By the way, did you know that severe illness in childhood is tied with a ton of different mental issues and future health problems?

People die so rarely from vaccines, that it is laughable that you think that risking that they catch whooping cough is safer.

Its not understood well enough, or vaccinated populations would be demonstrably more resistant to disease than unvaccinated
-_- they are. I've only gotten the actual flu once in my entire life (a year my mother decided not to have me vaccinated), I have never had polio, I have never had chickenpox, I have never had measles... the list goes on.

Not everyone exposed to a disease contracts it, whether vaccinated or not.
Sure, some people have natural resistances to some diseases... but it is unlikely that they would be resistant to every disease for which there is a vaccine. Also, how many people have survived rabies unvaccinated again?

How is deliberately exposing someone to the risks of disease less risky than allowing the opportunity for the disease to pass over someone?
-_- vaccines don't risk giving you a disease because the virus has the parts that attach to cells to infect them taken away, and they can't regenerate them. That, or they are straight up blended into pieces. Also, immunity to the flu doesn't apply, because it changes every year. So, a person could be naturally resistant to this year's strain, but not next year's.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Whatever the case might be, I am arguing for freedom of choice in relation to vaccines. Autism is only one other concern, but not my main one.
-_- oh my goodness, read your own sources and take a good look at the graphs. Notice how sometime after 1990, the "incidence" of autism diagnosis increases? Guess when Asperger's Syndrome was added to the DSM? Well how about that, it was in the 1990s. No wonder the diagnosis rate increased; the most common form of autism was added to the official diagnostic manual, and I have to love how your source waves it away as if it is nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I've never had a friend have polio, chickenpox, smallpox, tetanus, measles, mumps, the list goes on you get it. Yet, we have clear records that before there were vaccines for these diseases, they spread to large portions of the population and many people died.

In areas in which vaccines are scarce or unavailable, we still see these diseases run rampant.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
-_- oh my goodness, read your own sources and take a good look at the graphs. Notice how sometime after 1990, the "incidence" of autism diagnosis increases? Guess when Asperger's Syndrome was added to the DSM? Well how about that, it was in the 1990s. No wonder the diagnosis rate increased; the most common form of autism was added to the official diagnostic manual, and I have to love how your source waves it away as if it is nothing.
Note that I'm not debating analysis of the evidence. Whether you decide to agree or disagree with these scientists' interpretation is another story altogether.

I am merely presenting one study/scientists which/who linked autism to vaccines to invalidate @Zoli's claim: "you will be unable to cite a single scientist that links autism to vaccines. Do a search of the last fifteen years."

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I've never had a friend have polio, chickenpox, smallpox, tetanus, measles, mumps, the list goes on you get it. Yet, we have clear records that before there were vaccines for these diseases, they spread to large portions of the population and many people died.

In areas in which vaccines are scarce or unavailable, we still see these diseases run rampant.
That's nice. I don't have that same direct experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Incorrect, since that's not why tonsils are removed. Tonsils are removed if a person keeps having them infected and enlarged because they risk having their airway blocked by them. Tonsils themselves exist as a barrier to infection, and the only reason they can get infected frequently is because they are on the front lines. For health overall, it is better to keep them when you can.
Just google it. Was pretty routine once. The medical system got it wrong, as many believe they have with vaccination.

Not by much; clearly, STDs still spread to circumcised men, and condoms are better at preventing them than being maimed. Also, do you not know that circumcision has a lot of horrid side effects, and that one of the guaranteed ones is reduced sensation? Vaccines don't guarantee any side effects.
Depends on your opinion and the studies you believe. Some studies say it provides significant benefit, some say not. Some say it reduces sensation, others say it doesn't. I'd take the risk of the snipping of an unneeded piece of skin over injection of disease and poisons into my blood any day, but that's my choice to make, and your choice to make the opposite. This is called freedom.

An extreme reaction to the fact that she was genetically predisposed to breast cancer... which doesn't even mean she was going to get it.
I agree. And many feel the same way about vaccination. Risking autism and death for a disease they are probably never going to catch, and which probably won't kill them if they do catch it.

Like mandating going to school? Anarchy ain't much better.
Maybe. I think anarchy is better than slavery, but possibly because I've never lived under anarchy.

Good sanitation doesn't do crap for a disease that can spread through the air, and polio is one of them. Also, not like every lake in the US is sanitized. How many people you know with smallpox, friend?
Good sanitation seems to have eradicated the polio once experienced in the West.

0 evidence that vaccines cause autism, and you say that like autism is something people can just acquire. No 6 year old acquires autism just then, autism symptoms show up as early as 6 months of age. But I guess you'd rather a dead baby than a socially awkward one. After all, the most common form of autism isn't severe and can be lived with. Brain damage from a fever, on the other hand... By the way, did you know that severe illness in childhood is tied with a ton of different mental issues and future health problems?
Again, that's freedom. Many would prefer to die than be severely incapacitated. Its their choice.

People die so rarely from vaccines, that it is laughable that you think that risking that they catch whooping cough is safer.
Probably not as rarely as you'd like to believe.

-_- they are. I've only gotten the actual flu once in my entire life (a year my mother decided not to have me vaccinated), I have never had polio, I have never had chickenpox, I have never had measles... the list goes on.
Correlation does not prove causation.

Sure, some people have natural resistances to some diseases... but it is unlikely that they would be resistant to every disease for which there is a vaccine. Also, how many people have survived rabies unvaccinated again?
Everyone dies in the end. Vaccination just risks quality of life being extremely hampered in that time leading up to death. I'd imagine a number of people have survived rabies unvaccinated, but it would be hard to prove a number.

• Winner
Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What is that even supposed to mean?
Well, just that the sentence "Three words: men aren't beasts." is actually composed of five words, rather than the three after the colon.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How many people are you talking about? How many people don't have the option of receiving a vaccine?
Hmm, difficult to say, given that there are multiple conditions which can result in making a person unable to get vaccines. With about 353,000 babies born each day, and babies having to be at least 2 months old before vaccines can be given to them, that would make about 21,180,000 people that can't be vaccinated due to age around the world right now. About 2 percent of children are allergic to eggs (a common allergy to grow out of), which means that there are about 38,000,000 children that can't get vaccines because of allergies around the world. Obviously, some minor overlap between those two numbers, since about 2 percent of those babies should be allergic to eggs too, but you get the idea.

Yeah, a lot of people can't get vaccines. Thankfully, they aren't all crammed together.

Is it as many as the unvancinated illegal aliens who are pouring into this country?
I am assuming you are talking about the US. Illegal immigration can be a source of epidemics, as people from foreign countries carry their diseases with them. All the more reason to get vaccinated and protect yourself. Though, China and India are worse sources of illnesses than Mexico.

Is it as many who fall ill after being injected with a vaccine?
Not sure what your point is, unless you are implying that it doesn't matter if people die from illnesses or vaccines, because more people are coming into the country than dying?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Ok Ty I'll have a read then reply

I totally get your view that your advocating freedom of choice, but the OPs view, and mine, is that it's not freedom of choice when your infection impacts on those who are vulnerable. Your literally making a choice for others who don't have capacity eg New borns.

But Ty for the link. I'll read it

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
-_- So, a person wants to risk endangering other people because they are scared of shots. Might as well toss out the Tylenol that will kill your liver, the other forms of aspirin that will kill your kidneys, the heart surgery that has a way higher fail rate and death toll than any shot... it goes on. Abandon all medicine because it is all poison, and it was better when the average life expectancy of humanity was less than 50. Oh no, human cells are radioactive? Time to get rid of all my cells, then.

I already showed in the OP that nothing in shots should actually have negative side effects unless you have an allergy, due to the fact that you are exposed to worse versions of them just by, I dunno, eating a freaking pear. I guess pears cause autism. And cancer. Probably also SIDS, 'cause why not. Let's start an anti-pear movement, because pears contain more formaldehyde than vaccines, and vaccines are poison, don't you know? Let's start an anti-tuna movement, because tuna contains more mercury than vaccines ever did, and vaccines are poison. Let's start an anti-blood movement, because human blood contains tons of toxins in much higher concentrations than vaccines do, and vaccines are poison.

Be sure that if you are an anti-vax person to not try to become a doctor, nurse, or join a military force, because those jobs demand you get vaccines to be hired. Not an angry jab like the rest of my post, just a statement of fact that you won't be hired to a few different jobs if you don't get vaccinated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just google it. Was pretty routine once. The medical system got it wrong, as many believe they have with vaccination.
I did google it, and looked up why tonsils are CURRENTLY removed, why would you base your argument on an old error?

Depends on your opinion and the studies you believe. Some studies say it provides significant benefit, some say not. Some say it reduces sensation, others say it doesn't. I'd take the risk of the snipping of an unneeded piece of skin over injection of disease and poisons into my blood any day, but that's my choice to make, and your choice to make the opposite. This is called freedom.
Start coughing on babies in a maternity ward and see how well that goes over.

I agree. And many feel the same way about vaccination. Risking autism and death for a disease they are probably never going to catch, and which probably won't kill them if they do catch it.
During the Spanish Flu epidemic, 1% of the world population died. When that same strain of the flu returned, not even a 100th of that died.

Good sanitation seems to have eradicated the polio once experienced in the West.
Impossible, given that polio, again, is also airborne. Sanitation doesn't hardly do crap for airborne diseases, and what about completely eradicated smallpox?

Again, that's freedom. Many would prefer to die than be severely incapacitated. Its their choice.
Until they spread it to 50 other people and 5 of them also die. Then they made a choice of death for more than themselves.

Probably not as rarely as you'd like to believe.
Medical records show otherwise. The CDC keeps up great with the various causes of death.

Correlation does not prove causation.
I guess in the same way that blood loss and being shot by a bullet is correlation and not causation.

Everyone dies in the end. Vaccination just risks quality of life being extremely hampered in that time leading up to death. I'd imagine a number of people have survived rabies unvaccinated, but it would be hard to prove a number.
Name 1. One person ever, that has survived rabies unvaccinated. A person that actually experienced the disease, not someone naturally immune. Name 1.

Heck, name a person that was worse off for getting the rabies vaccine than if they just let the disease run its course.

And be honest with me, if a rabid dog bit you, and you knew it was rabid, would you choose not to get the rabies vaccine?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I guess to be fair people act on perceived risk, because in western countries communicable diseases aren't as prevalent as in developing nations. Instead unfortunately, risk is given to the vaccination itself. Even if I accepted the risk concerns of immunization opponents, and I don't, those risks would be far lower than the risk of getting disease. Whooping cough is a good example of that. There's no doubt that sanitation and hygiene standards make a massive difference. But it won't help a lot if your in a TB prone area, or polio area. Vaccination remains critical for the overall health standard of the community

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Ok Ty I'll have a read then reply ... But Ty for the link. I'll read it
You're welcome.

it's not freedom of choice when your infection impacts on those who are vulnerable. Your literally making a choice for others who don't have capacity eg New borns.
That has yet to be proven.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That has yet to be proven.
@ananda are you saying you dont believe diseases are communicable, particularly to immunocomprimised people,or are you just arguing you dont think vaccinations dont work, or....are you arguing that the incidence of vaccine related complications is higher than the disease prevalence, and therefore the greater risk of concern.... Im a bit confused about what youre actually arguing

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
@ananda are you saying you dont believe diseases are communicable, particularly to immunocomprimised people,or are you just arguing you dont think vaccinations dont work, or....are you arguing that the incidence of vaccine related complications is higher than the disease prevalence, and therefore the greater risk of concern.... Im a bit confused about what youre actually arguing
I'm arguing for freedom of choice, and for the freedom to practice what we personally believe, as long as we don't measurably infringe on anyone else's right to do the same.

Upvote 0