Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In the Bible the weekly Sabbath is Saturday - the 7th day of the week. From Friday Evening to Saturday evening.

So it is no wonder that when the gospels say that Jesus was raised on the first day of the week - everyone knows that this means our Sunday. This is easy and obvious.

The Catholic Church document "the Faith Explained" asks the question about "changing the LORD's day from Saturday to Sunday" like this -

1965 -- first published 1959 (from "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese page 243)

"we know that in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it...'remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.. the early Christian church determined as the Lord's day the first day of the week. That the church had the right to make such a law is evident...The reason for changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday lies in the fact that to the Christian church the first day of the week had been made double holy...​
nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday..that is why we find so illogical the attitude of many non-Catholic who say they will believe nothing unless they can find it in the bible and yet will continue to keep Sunday as the Lord's day on the say-so of the Catholic church"

I fully agree with - "in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it."

I fully agree with - "nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday"

Some will say "I don't care what the Catholic position is" but this idea of a "Change" for the Bible Sabbath from Saturday (the 7th day) to the first day is also mentioned in the Baptist Confession of Faith and in other denominational documents across the board.

Why then are they so clear on the fact that the Sabbath is the Lord's Day - and that a change was made via some sort of tradition - but not mentioned in the Bible.?

Is 58:13
“If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

Mark 2:27 "The Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"

Is 66:23 says that for all eternity after the cross and in the New Earth - "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship"

So no wonder in Acts 18:4 EVERY Sabbath they gather for gospel preaching in the synagogue - as Paul preached to both gentiles and Jews
No wonder in Acts 13 the GENTILES ask for MORE Gospel preaching to be scheduled for "The NEXT Sabbath" and then the next Sabbath almost the entire town shows up to hear it.

All Bible scholars know the following -
1. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is the Lord's day"
2. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is the holy day of the Lord"
3. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is My holy day"
4. There is no text saying "every week day one they gathered for gospel preaching"
5. There is no text saying "the Son of Man is LORD of week day 1"
6. There is no text saying "week day one is now the Sabbath of the LORD thy God" or "is now the Lord's day"
7. There is no text says "the gentiles asked that more Gospel preaching be given to them - on the next week day 1"

Some will say "well that just adds more weight to the Catholic Document quoted above stating that there is nothing in the Bible on that point". And of course that is true it does add weight to that part of their statement.

==========================================

"They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord's day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it appears, neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, say they, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the Ten Commandments."

—Augsburg Confession of Faith, Art. 28, par. 9.

"They [Roman Catholics] allege the change of the Sabbath into the Lord's day, as it seemeth, to the Decalogue [the ten commandments]; and they have no example more in their mouths than they change of the Sabbath. They will needs have the Church's power to be very great, because it hath dispensed with the precept of the Decalogue."

—The Augsburg Confession, 1530 A.D. (Lutheran), part 2, art 7, in Philip Schaff, the Creeds of Christiandom, 4th Edition, vol 3, p64 [this important statement was made by the Lutherans and written by Melanchthon, only thirteen years after Luther nailed his theses to the door and began the Reformation].

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoneman-777

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So how does that compare to some of the arguments for the Lord's day not being Saturday - in the Bible?

I don't see the OP arguing something like "Christ was God so He could ignore the Bible Sabbath all He wished and still claim in Heb 4:15 that He was without sin". Arguments of that form are not needed for the 7th day as "My Holy Day" , "The Holy Day of the Lord" Is 58:13

============================

Another argument sometimes used

"animal sacrifices were added to the Sabbath in the book of Numbers, so maybe there was no way to keep the Sabbath without an animal sacrifice"

Not true in Genesis 2:1-3 for the Sabbath - it is before the fall of mankind.
Not true in Exodus 20:8-11 for the Sabbath - nothing there specifies animal sacrifice

Not true in Is 66:23 where in the New Earth - for all eternity after the cross "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to bow down".

This means that the ending of animal sacrifice and offering in Heb 10:4-12 - still leaves the Genesis 2:1-3 Sabbath - day of holy convocation and rest - as it was in Eden. It still leaves the Is 58:13 restriction of no secular work. It still leaves the Lev 23:3 call for worship and holy convocation. And it continues in for all eternity after the cross for all mankind - even in the New Earth as we see in Is 66:23

No doubt sacrifices were added in Numbers 28 - but that was not the inception of the sanctified holy day of the Lord - made holy in Gen 2:1-3

====================

Some may say that accepting the Gospel , accepting salvation does away with the Sabbath commandment in terms of paying attention to "The 7th day" detail that God put into it.

Let's test that.

Heb 4:2 "the Gospel was preached to us just as it was to them" comparing NT saints to OT examples in Heb 11 and Heb 3
Gal 1:6-9 "There is only one Gospel".. Gal 3:8 "the Gospel was preached to Abraham".

1 Peter 1:13 informs is that their Gospel included "the sufferings of Christ AND the glories to follow" as it was given to them "by the Spirit of Christ IN THEM"

Now notice that in Matt 17 we have both Elijah and Moses standing "with Christ" in glory, fully saved, fully forgiven.

So here is the test -- is there any indication in scripture that Moses or Elijah were ignoring the "7th day" aspect of the Sabbath commandment in their lifetime - since they are proven examples of saints in the OT - who fully accepted the gospel? Because if accepting the Gospel means one should ignore the Sabbath commandment detail regarding the 7th day of the week - then they would be prime examples for demonstrating that suggestion - were it true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some have asked - "what would happen if everyone followed Christ's teaching"? -

My answer -
They would read the NEW Covenant - Jer 31:31-34 given to Israel and the house of Judah -- also stated in Heb 8:6-12.

IT has that same unit of TEN - known to Jeremiah and his readers as included in "The LAW of God"
No wonder Paul points to it in Eph 6:2.
No wonder James points to it in James 2.
No wonder Christ points to it in Matt 19 with the rich young ruler.

IT is made "for mankind" according to Christ in Mark 2:27

Gentiles are specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping in Is 56:6-7
ALL Mankind is in Gen 2:1-3 when Sabbath was sanctified and made for holy use.
ALL mankind is keeping the Sabbath in the New earth for all eternity after the cross Is 66:23
Gentiles specifically ask for more Gospel preaching to be scheduled for "NEXT Sabbath" in Acts 13.

Following Christ's teaching means having "a love of the Truth" 2 Thess 2 -- so then more people would read their Bibles and pay attention to these details just listed.

They might even read "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of GOD" 1 Cor 7:19
They would read "LOVE Me and KEEP My Commandments" Ex 20:6
They would read "IF you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
They would see that "saints KEEP the Commandments of GOD and their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
They would know that "THIS IS the LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3

Where as Paul said "the first commandment with a promise is 'Honor your father and mother'" in that still-valid unit of TEN.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm a 7th Day Sabbath keeper, so I'm not arguing that Friday sunset to Saturday sunset is the true Sabbath and is still a law to be kept forever, but the phrase 'The Lord's Day' is in reference to Revelation 1:10, correct? I thought this was the same as The Day of the Lord as in end of the age, the day when the Lord begins intervening etc.

Sorry if I have annoyingly interrupted your thread. I just keep seeing 'Lord's Day' and keeping thinking it's being used incorrectly.

• Winner
Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I'm a 7th Day Sabbath keeper, so I'm not arguing that Friday sunset to Saturday sunset is the true Sabbath and is still a law to be kept forever, but the phrase 'The Lord's Day' is in reference to Revelation 1:10, correct? I thought this was the same as The Day of the Lord as in end of the age, the day when the Lord begins intervening etc.

Sorry if I have annoyingly interrupted your thread. I just keep seeing 'Lord's Day' and keeping thinking it's being used incorrectly.

Preface

The day of the Lord = The great day of his wrath
The Lord's day = The Sabbath

Study

The verse says he was in the Spirit on the Lord's day.

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.​

For emphasis, here's the Amplified version.

10 I was in the [a]Spirit [in special communication with the Holy Spirit and empowered to receive and record the revelation from Jesus Christ] on the [b]Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet​

a. Revelation 1:10 Or spirit. The Greek wording is not decisive, so John could be referring either to being in special communion with the Holy Spirit, or to being in a trance-like state in his own spirit like that experienced by Peter at Joppa (cf Acts 10:10, 11).​

The verse isn't referring to the day of the Lord (the great day of his wrath), but simply the specific day John was in the Spirit, which would have been the Sabbath if we recognize that Jesus said that He is Lord of the Sabbath (Mark 2:28).

He was in the spirit on the Lord's day, in communication with the Spirit, and heard a voice.

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,​
11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.​

The vision hadn't started yet when he was in the Spirit on the Lord's day.

He hears a voice behind him telling him to write what he sees and send it to the seven churches. Even the first vision isn't of the day of the Lord (the great day of his wrath), but messages to the churches. If you read further, John is seeing Jesus in the heavenly sanctuary.

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;​
13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.​
14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;​
15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.​
16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.​
Revelation 1-3 - The start of John's visions. Jesus in the sanctuary with the messages to the seven churches.
Revelation 4-5 - John sees events transpire in heaven. The opening of the book and to loose the seven seals thereof (Revelation 5:5)
Revelation 6 - John's first mention of end time events and the great day of his wrath.

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?​

Conclusion

John had been in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, which was the Sabbath, as he wasn't shown events of the day of his wrath until much later in his visions, as his writings show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the Bible the weekly Sabbath is Saturday - the 7th day of the week. From Friday Evening to Saturday evening.

So it is no wonder that when the gospels say that Jesus was raised on the first day of the week - everyone knows that this means our Sunday. This is easy and obvious.

The Catholic Church document "the Faith Explained" asks the question about "changing the LORD's day from Saturday to Sunday" like this -

1965 -- first published 1959 (from "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese page 243)

"we know that in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it...'remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.. the early Christian church determined as the Lord's day the first day of the week. That the church had the right to make such a law is evident...The reason for changing the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday lies in the fact that to the Christian church the first day of the week had been made double holy...​
nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday..that is why we find so illogical the attitude of many non-Catholic who say they will believe nothing unless they can find it in the bible and yet will continue to keep Sunday as the Lord's day on the say-so of the Catholic church"

I fully agree with - "in the O.T it was the seventh day of the week - the Sabbath day- which was observed as the Lord's day. that was the law as God gave it."

I fully agree with - "nothing is said in the bible about the change of the Lord's day from Saturday to Sunday"

Some will say "I don't care what the Catholic position is" but this idea of a "Change" for the Bible Sabbath from Saturday (the 7th day) to the first day is also mentioned in the Baptist Confession of Faith and in other denominational documents across the board.

Why then are they so clear on the fact that the Sabbath is the Lord's Day - and that a change was made via some sort of tradition - but not mentioned in the Bible.?

Is 58:13
“If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,

Mark 2:27 "The Son of man is LORD of the Sabbath"

Is 66:23 says that for all eternity after the cross and in the New Earth - "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship"

So no wonder in Acts 18:4 EVERY Sabbath they gather for gospel preaching in the synagogue - as Paul preached to both gentiles and Jews
No wonder in Acts 13 the GENTILES ask for MORE Gospel preaching to be scheduled for "The NEXT Sabbath" and then the next Sabbath almost the entire town shows up to hear it.

All Bible scholars know the following -
1. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is the Lord's day"
2. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is the holy day of the Lord"
3. There is no text saying 'the first day of the week is My holy day"
4. There is no text saying "every week day one they gathered for gospel preaching"
5. There is no text saying "the Son of Man is LORD of week day 1"
6. There is no text saying "week day one is now the Sabbath of the LORD thy God" or "is now the Lord's day"
7. There is no text says "the gentiles asked that more Gospel preaching be given to them - on the next week day 1"

Some will say "well that just adds more weight to the Catholic Document quoted above stating that there is nothing in the Bible on that point". And of course that is true it does add weight to that part of their statement.

==========================================

"They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord's day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it appears, neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, say they, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the Ten Commandments."

—Augsburg Confession of Faith, Art. 28, par. 9.

"They [Roman Catholics] allege the change of the Sabbath into the Lord's day, as it seemeth, to the Decalogue [the ten commandments]; and they have no example more in their mouths than they change of the Sabbath. They will needs have the Church's power to be very great, because it hath dispensed with the precept of the Decalogue."

—The Augsburg Confession, 1530 A.D. (Lutheran), part 2, art 7, in Philip Schaff, the Creeds of Christiandom, 4th Edition, vol 3, p64 [this important statement was made by the Lutherans and written by Melanchthon, only thirteen years after Luther nailed his theses to the door and began the Reformation].
Jesus is the NT Sabbath (Heb 4:9) of God's own ("my") rest (Heb 3:11- 4:11) in whom we rest from all our works to save and rest in Jesus' completed work which saves.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm a 7th Day Sabbath keeper, so I'm not arguing that Friday sunset to Saturday sunset is the true Sabbath and is still a law to be kept forever, but the phrase 'The Lord's Day' is in reference to Revelation 1:10, correct?
Yes that is correct - we see it in Rev 1:10 "Lord's day" -- the day of the week that John saw his vision. Already explained in Is 58:13 and Mark 2:28 for John's readers.
I thought this was the same as The Day of the Lord as in end of the age, the day when the Lord begins intervening etc.
Some do say that - but if you are only looking for a Bible explanation as John's readers would have known it -- then we see that they would find in Is 58:13 that the weekly Sabbath is "The Holy day of the Lord" -- as God said "My Holy Day" and Christ said "the Son of Man is LORD of the Sabbath".

When John says "I was in the spirit ON the Lord's day" - it looks like a day of the week, not an age, not a period of years, and not in vision in the future.

IF he meant to say "I was in vision and there in vision I SAW the Day of the Lord" or "I saw the Lord's day" we would have some door open to us outside of the Is 58:13 context. But he did not say that. Rather he is speaking just as OT Prophets did who describe when/where they were when they saw a vision/dream. Just as Peter does in Acts 10

Acts 10:9 On the next day, as they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10 But he became hungry and wanted to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance; 11 and he *saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, 12 and on it were all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the sky. 13 A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!”​

That is what they call "Metadata" about the vision/dream. It gives time or place ... about the person at the time of the vision. It is not the vision talking about the roof top, or talking about the city, or saying it is almost lunch time.

Dan 8 -- Daniel gives metadata for the vision he is about to describe.

Dan 8: 1 In the third year of the reign of Belshazzar the king, a vision appeared to me, Daniel, subsequent to the one which appeared to me previously. 2 I looked in the vision, and while I was looking, I was in the citadel of Susa, which is in the province of Elam; and I looked in the vision, and I myself was beside the Ulai Canal. 3 Then I raised my eyes and looked, and behold, a ram which had two horns​

"Ulai was the Hebrew name for a river near the city of Susa"

Dan 7 metadata for the vision described in Dan 7 looks like this --
Dan 7: 1 In the first year of Belshazzar king of Babylon, Daniel saw a dream and visions in his mind as he lay on his bed; then he wrote the dream down and told the following summary of it.​

I was in vision ON... is not a way to describe what was seen IN the vision. It is the non-vision background for the vision. Telling us where or when the vision was happening.

John gives metadata for his vision in Rev 1 like this

Rev 1:​
4 John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before His throne, 5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood— 6 and He made us into a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 7 Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.​
8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”​
9 I, John, your brother and fellow participant in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11 saying, “Write on a scroll what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.”​

Just as Luke does not inform his reader "The Sabbath is the seventh day of the week" in the book of Acts each time he mentions it (in Acts 13 and in Acts 17:1-5 and in Acts 13:8 for example) - so John does not quote Ex 20:8-11 or Is 58:13 for his "Lord's day" reference.
I agree that the way you are viewing it is very common. But I am not convinced that that popular way of looking at it is taking in the full details about how a vision is described as we see in all the other examples in the Bible (for example in Daniel when he gives some background context for where or when a vision takes place)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the NT Sabbath (Heb 4:9)
I am always happy to find a "Jesus is the New Testament Sabbath" text. But where is a text that says that?

Heb 4:9 Consequently, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.

Takes a lot of work to get that to say "Jesus is the New Testament Sabbath"
of God's own ("my") rest (Heb 3:11- 4:11) in whom we rest from all our works to save and rest in Jesus' completed work which saves.
"If My rest" is the way to say it... then Ex 20:10 "the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD" and Is 58:13 "the Sabbath is My Holy Day, ... the Holy Day of the LORD" are good background scriptures for this idea.

Interesting what Luther says about God's Sabbath in Genesis 2:1-3

Martin Luther, The Creation, A Commentary on Genesis,” Vol. I, pp. 138-140
http://www.wolfmueller.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Genesis1-4Study.pdf

I am sure at least some - will agree with Martin Luther on some of his thoughts here --

=========== page 110 begin

GENESIS 2:
3. And God blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it, because that in it he rested from all his work which God had created and made.
"Christ says, Mark 2:27, that “the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath”
"But Moses says nothing here about man. He does not even say positively that any commandment concerning the Sabbath was given to man. But what Moses here says is that God blessed the Sabbath and sanctified it to himself. It is moreover to be remarked that God did this to no other creature. God did not sanctify to himself the heaven nor the earth nor any other creature. But God did sanctify to himself the seventh day. This was especially designed of God, to cause us to understand that the “seventh day” is to be especially devoted to divine worship.
"For that which is appropriated to God and exclusively separated from all profane uses is sanctified or holy. Hence the expression “to sanctify, ” “to choose for divine uses or for the worship of God, ” is often applied by Moses to the sacred vessels of the sanctuary.
"It follows therefore from this passage, that if Adam had stood in his innocence and had not fallen he would yet have observed the “seventh day as sanctified, holy and sacred; that is, he would have taught his children and posterity on that day concerning the will and worship of God; he would have praised God, he would have given him thanks, and would have brought to him his offerings, etc., etc.
On the other days he would have tilled his land and attended to his cattle. Nay, even after the fall he held the “seventh day” sacred; that is, he taught on that day his own family. This is testified by the offerings made by his two sons, Cain and Abel.
The Sabbath therefore has, from the beginning of the world, been set apart for the worship of God. In this manner nature in its innocency, had it continued unfallen,would have proclaimed the glory and blessings of God. Men would have talked together on the Sabbath day concerning the goodness of their Creator, would have prayed to him,and would have brought to him their offerings, etc. For all these things are implied and signified in the expression “sanctified.”

================================='
Page 111

"Adam therefore, had he not fallen, would have lived a certain time in paradise, according to the length of time which God pleased; and afterwards he would have been carried away into that rest of God, which rest God willed not only to intimate unto man, but highly to commend unto him by this sanctification of the Sabbath. Thus had Adam not fallen his life would have been both animal and happy, and spiritual and eternal. But now we miserable men have lost all this felicity of the animal life by sin; and while we do live, we live in the midst of death.

"Yet since this command of God concerning the Sabbath is left to the Church, God signifies thereby that even that spiritual life shall be restored to us through Christ. Hence the prophets have all diligently searched into these passages, in which Moses obscurely indicates also the resurrection of the flesh and the life immortal

"Further by this sanctification of the Sabbath it is also plainly shown that man was especially created for the knowledge
and worship of God
. For the Sabbath was not instituted on account of sheep or oxen, but for the sake of men, that the
knowledge of God might be exercised and increased by them on that sacred day. Although therefore man lost the
knowledge of God by sin
, yet God willed that his command concerning the sanctifying of the Sabbath should remain.
He willed that on the seventh day both the Word should be preached, and also those other parts of his worship
performed, which he himself instituted;
to the end that by these appointed means we should first of all think solemnly
on our condition in the world as men; that this nature of ours was created at first expressly for the knowledge and the
glorifying of God; and also that by these same sacred means we might hold fast in our minds the sure hope of a future
and eternal life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am always happy to find a "Jesus is the New Testament Sabbath" text. But where is a text that says that?

As it does to say "God is Trinity" from the NT.

That Jesus is the Sabbath is the import of the plea (to these new professing Jews who it seems were considering a return to Judaism) not to fail to go into God's own rest for them in Jesus (from their works to save) because of unbelief, as their ancestors failed to go into God's own rest for them in Canaan because of unbelief (Heb 3:7-4:11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As it does to say "God is Trinity" from the NT.
IT is true that one cannot find the word trinity in the Bible.

But we do have "One God" Deut 6:5 in three persons Matt 28:19. Still we cannot use "no Trinity word in the Bible" to justify "prayers to the dead is in the Bible even though no actual text specifies it".

It is not like you can stick anything in that you like just because the word "Trinity" is not in the Bible
That Jesus is the Sabbath is the import of the plea (to these new professing Jews
No text says that either. We are not talking about "a single word" but the idea, the phrase that Jesus is the Sabbath or the Sabbath is replaced by Jesus or ...
who it seems were considering a return to Judaism)
A lot of Christian denominations have not returned to Judaism yet they will admit that all TEN of the Ten Commandments are included in the moral law of God and applicable to Christians today.

Almost every Christian denomination on Earth affirms the continued *"unit of TEN" for Christians today

[*]The Baptist Confession of Faith section 19
[*]The Westminster Confession of Faith section 19
[*]Voddie Baucham
[*]C.H. Spurgeon
[*]D.L. Moody
[*]Dies Domini by Pope John Paul II
[*]D. James Kennedy

Will update that to add R.C. Sproul
not to fail to go into God's own rest for them in Jesus
It is one thing to talk about "failing to enter into God's own rest" it is another to argue that keeping God's Commandments is to fail to enter into God's rest.

Christ kept all Ten.
Moses and Elijah kept all Ten.

Moses and Elijah and Christ stand together in glory - before the cross even happens - in Matt 17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
IT is true that one cannot find the word trinity in the Bible.

But we do have "One God" Deut 6:5 in three persons Matt 28:19.
Still we cannot use "no Trinity word in the Bible" to justify "prayers to the dead is in the Bible even though no actual text specifies it".It is not like you can stick anything in that you like just because the word "Trinity" is not in the BibleNo text says that either. We are not talking about "a single word" but the idea, the phrase that Jesus is the Sabbath or the Sabbath is replaced by Jesus or ...
An exegesis of Hebrews 3:7-4:13 is found in (link) here .

To which exegesis I would then add the following explanation:
The issue in Hebrews 3:7-4:13 is about some NT Hebrews who, because of persecution by the Jews and threatened disinheritance from their families, were considering a return to their OT religion, which the writer of Hebrews characterizes as failing to enter God's full-time Sabbath-rest because of unbelief.
The issue there is not about Hebrews failing to observe the Sabbath.

Faith is the issue in Hebrews 3:7-4:13:
Hebrews 4:1-13 reveals the New Covenant spiritual reality of the Old Covenant Sabbath physical rest for the people of God (Exodus 23:3; Deuteronomy 5:14), and about which physical rest God was most emphatic (Exodus 31:14-15, 35:2-3; Numbers 15:32-36; Jeremiah 17:21-22, 27).
In light of its NT eternal spiritual reality; i.e., salvation-rest in Jesus Christ, we can see why so much emphasis was placed by God on rest.

Hebrews 4:3 shows that the writer of Hebrews is using the example of Israel's refusal to go into Canaan (because of unbelief,
causing God to shut out--Numbers 14:21-35, a whole generation of Israelites--Hebrews 4:3, from the Canaan-rest from their enemies)
as a warning not to refuse to go into NT salvation-rest because of unbelief, a warning not to return to their OT religion.

Hebrews 4:1-5 is about God's rest. It's about our entering (v.1) into God's full-time rest (v.3b) of salvation without works. There is a spiritual rest remaining for the people of faith, in God's own full-time Sabbath-rest. Faith, the issue here, is not related to physical rest, it is related to God's full-time spiritual salvation-rest in Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:9-11 shows that while Canaan physical rest was no longer available (Hebrews 4:3),
there still remained a spiritual Sabbath-rest in God for those NT Hebrews, which was not a rest from physical works, but rest from spiritual works to earn salvation.
Because God again set a certain day, calling it TODAY (Hebrews 4:6-7),
which is not rest in Canaan whose doors are closed (Hebrews 4:3),
but is the full-time Sabbath-rest of God, in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross, where the believer rests full-time from his own spiritual works to save, and rests in Christ's work which has saved.

It is God's own full-time (v.3b) Sabbath-rest (Hebrews 4:10) we enter into in the NT full-time spiritual salvation-rest of Jesus Christ, where we rest from our work to save and rest in Jesus finished work which saves, and which these NT Hebrews were in danger of not entering by returning to their OT religion.
Isaiah 66:22-23.

Hebrews 3:7-4:13 shows that Jesus is our NT Sabbath rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The issue in Hebrews 3:7-4:13 is about some NT Hebrews who, because of persecution by the Jews and threatened disinheritance from their families, were considering a return to their OT religion, which the writer of Hebrews characterizes as failing to enter God's full-time Sabbath-rest because of unbelief.
The author of Hebrews refers to the text of the OT as "the Holy Spirit says" in Heb 3, not "this is not God's Word for you". In fact "Just as the Holy Spirit says..." is Paul teaching with the OT as scripture.

6 but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house—whose house we are, if we hold firmly to our confidence and the boast of our hope.
7 Therefore, just as the Holy Spirit says,

“Today if you hear His voice,
8 Do not harden your hearts as when they provoked Me,
As on the day of trial in the wilderness,

That is not how you write to a group if you are trying to convince them that the OT scriptures are not something they should take as God's word to themselves.

IF you want someone to leave the Hindu Religion you don't quote the Bhagavad Gita prefixed with "just as the Holy Spirit says"

The issue there is not about Hebrews failing to observe the Sabbath.
Agreed it is not about Hebrews failing to keep the 7th day.

But what the author says is that the "Sabbath REMAINS" for the people of God ... and since Paul is quoting the Psalms from the time of David - it becomes "Remains as it was in the time of David" - still for the people of God.

Faith is the issue in Hebrews 3:7-4:13.
Hebrews 4:1-13 reveals the New Covenant spiritual reality of the physical rest of the Old Covenant Sabbath day for the people of God, which emphasis was on physical rest (Exodus 23:3; Deuteronomy 5:14), and about which God was most emphatic (Exodus 31:14-15, 35:2-3; Numbers 15:32-36; Jeremiah 17:21-22, 27).
In light of its NT eternal spiritual reality of salvation-rest in Christ, we can see why so much emphasis was placed by God on rest.
Hebrews 8 explicitly quotes the New Covenant from Jeremiah 31 showing that it is unchanged from the Jer 31:31-34 context where God writes the LAW of God known to Jeremiah and His readers on the heart and mind.

Instead of "Sabbath deleted" it is the moral "Law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers" written on the heart and mind - still to this very day. AT least that is the argument in Hebrews since Paul quotes the New Covenant verbatim in that book and affirms that it still continues as it was in the OT.

Hebrews 4:3 shows that the writer of Hebrews is using the example of Israel's refusal to go into Canaan
--because of unbelief, causing God to shut out (Numbers 14:21-35) a whole generation of Israelites (Hebrews 4:3) from the Canaan-rest from their enemies--
as a warning not to refuse to go into NT salvation-rest because of unbelief, a warning not to return to their OT religion.
There is nothing in Hebrews about "NT Salvation" as if there are two different Gospels.

Moses and Elijah stand with Christ in glory in Matt 17 -- it is the same Gospel

Gal 1:6-9 only one Gospel
Gal 3:8 - the Gospel was preached to Abraham
Heb 4:2 "the Gospel was preached to us JUST AS IT WAS to them also"

Hebrews is not a 'dump OT religion' letter.

Hebrews 4:1-5 is about God's rest. It's about our entering (v.1) into God's full-time rest (v.3b) of salvation without works. There is a spiritual rest remaining for the people of faith, in God's own full-time Sabbath-rest. Faith, the issue here, is not related to physical rest, it is related to God's full-time spiritual salvation-rest in Jesus Christ.
In vs 1-5 only some did not enter that rest.
In the remaining vs - only some have still to enter.
Because God again set a certain day, calling it TODAY (Hebrews 4:6-7),
which is not rest in Canaan whose doors are closed (Hebrews 4:3),
That "TODAY" statement is from the days of David when that text of that Psalm was written that is quoted in Heb 4. It did not delete the Ten Commandments or even one of them - then in David's day, and it does not delete one of the TEN Commandments in Heb 4.

but is the full-time Sabbath-rest of God, in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross, where the believer rests full-time from his own spiritual works to save, and rests in Christ's work which has saved.
The book of Hebrews does not teach that one can either keep the Ten Commandments or be a Christian. It does not teach that the Sabbath of the Ten Commandments is contrary to Christian faith.

Acts 18:4 Paul preaches the Gospel "every Sabbath" in worship service to both gentiles and Jews. Even believing ones.
we rest from our work to save and rest in Jesus finished work which saves, and which these NT Hebrews were in danger of not entering by returning to their OT religion.
Isaiah 66:22-23.
Is 66:23 says that for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

There is nothing in the NT condemning the OT - rather in all cases in the NT the OT is referred to as "scriptures". Even after the cross.

In Luke 24 -- Luke writes that after the cross Jesus was teaching from all the scriptures - beginning with Moses and all the prophets

Luke 24:27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the Prophets, He explained to them the things written about Himself in all the Scriptures.
Hebrews 3:7-4:13 shows that Jesus is our NT Sabbath rest.
That is your inference and summation but that verse does not say it. It merely says the Sabbath remains.

No wonder almost every Christian denomination on Earth affirms the continued *"unit of TEN" for Christians today -- all TEN

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

The issue in Hebrews 3:7-4:13 is about some NT Hebrews who, because of persecution by the Jews and threatened disinheritance from their families, were considering a return to their OT religion, which the writer of Hebrews characterizes as failing to enter...a warning not to return to their OT religion.

In Heb 4 - belief is the same in OT and NT. The chapter refers to belief in the OT and in the NT and it condemns unbelief in both cases - and affirms belief in both cases.

The text says of the OT - that it remains "for SOME" to enter. IT says the same thing about the NT state.

In Heb 11 it is only the OT saints that are held up before the NT reader - as GIANTS of faith.

In Heb 4:2 "The Gospel was preached to US just as it was to THEM" -- this is not a condemnation of that Gospel it rather affirms it in both OT and NT

Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

As you point out, there is no text in the entire bible that says Jesus became a day and we can now disregard the Sabbath commandment. What this doctrine makes is Jesus worshipping Himself instead of the saints coming before the Lord to worship Him in the New Heaven and New Earth, like the Word of God tells us.

Isaiah 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

We are not allowed to add or subtract to God’s commandments Deut 4:2 which the author of Hebrews would be aware of, as well as not adding to His Word Psalms 30:5-6 yet people make a doctrine of this out of context scripture that says no such thing.

It takes a lot of editing to make Jesus become the seventh day Sabbath commandment Exodus 20:8-11. God’s law is perfect Psalms 19:7 and no editing needed. Happy Sabbath!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Heb 4 - belief is the same in OT and NT. The chapter refers to belief in the OT and in the NT and it condemns unbelief in both cases - and affirms belief in both cases.
The text says of the OT - that it remains "for SOME" to enter. IT says the same thing about the NT state.
In Heb 11 it is only the OT saints that are held up before the NT reader - as GIANTS of faith.
In Heb 4:2 "The Gospel was preached to US just as it was to THEM" -- this is not a condemnation of that Gospel it rather affirms it in both OT and NT
Your posts do not address and deal with the issues presented in Heb 3:7-4:11:
1) The issue of the NT Hebrew Christians' unbelief. . .how can that be?
2) The issue of God's own Sabbath rest. . .why would Hebrews need warning about not entering into God's own Sabbath rest?
3) And what does Canaan have to do with NT Hebrews and the Sabbath?

Until those issues are adequately addressed in the context of and consistent with Heb 3:7-4:11, one does not correctly understand the passage (see post #11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Something to add concerning Lord of the Sabbath.
Mark 2:27-28 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.​

Strong's G5620 therefore (hōste): expressing consequence or result.

The word therefore is expressing the result of the Sabbath being sanctified at creation for man—that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath. This begs the question. Did Jesus stop being Lord of the Sabbath post-crucifixion? No. Jesus continues to be Lord of the Sabbath in the new heaven and new earth.

Isaiah 66:22-23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.​
Sabbath observance never stops for God's people. It is perpetual, from creation to eternity.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Something to add concerning Lord of the Sabbath.
Mark 2:27-28 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.​
Strong's G5620 therefore (hōste): expressing consequence or result.
The word therefore is expressing the result of the Sabbath being sanctified at creation for man—that Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath. This begs the question. Did Jesus stop being Lord of the Sabbath post-crucifixion? No. Jesus continues to be Lord of the Sabbath in the new heaven and new earth.
Isaiah 66:22-23 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.​
Sabbath observance never stops for God's people. It is perpetual, from creation to eternity.
God's OT one-day Sabbath rest being a pattern/type of God's NT full-time Sabbath rest, from our own works (to save) and in Jesus' finished work which saves to the uttermost!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your posts do not address and deal with the issues presented in Heb 3:7-4:11:
1) The issue of the NT Hebrew Christians' unbelief. . .how can that be?
2) The issue of God's own Sabbath rest. . .why would Hebrews need warning about not entering into God's own Sabbath rest?
3) And what does Canaan have to do with NT Hebrews and the Sabbath?

Until those issues are adequately addressed in the context of and consistent with Heb 3:7-4:11, one does not correctly understand the passage (see post #11).
I’m not sure what your questions have to do with your statement that said Jesus is the Sabbath. None of the verses you quoted state that.

Hebrews 4 is addressing the disobedience of the Israelites and unbelief is used interchangeably as disobedience. Canaan has everything to do with this passage as it is a direct reference and why the Israelites did not enter into Canaan, their rest and Promise Land.

Hebrews 3:16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? 17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Psalms 95: Today, if you will hear His voice:
8 “Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion,
As in the day of trial in the wilderness,

9 When your fathers tested Me;
They tried Me, though they saw My work.
10 For forty years I was grieved with that generation,
And said, ‘It is a people who go astray in their hearts,
And they do not know My ways.’
11 So I swore in My wrath,

‘They shall not enter My rest.’ ”

Hebrews 4:6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,

The Israelites failing to enter into the rest of the Promise Land was due to their disobedience. Hebrews 3:18, Hebrews 4:6
What did they disobey…..?

Ezekiel 20:13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

The passage does not say to enter into God’s own Sabbath rest, in Hebrews 4 there are two rests being referred to, Christ rest (gospel rest) and the seventh day Sabbath rest (sabbath commandment). Hebrews 4:4, Hebrews 4:9

To receive the blessing of Christ rest (gospel rest) we cease from our works as God did from His.

Hebrews 4:10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

When did God cease from His works? This very passage tells us- the seventh day Sabbath Hebrews 4:4, Genesis 2:1-3 Exodus 20:10

The Israelites did not receive their rest into the promise land because they disobeyed and specifically the Sabbath Ezekiel 20:13
which is why the Sabbath rest remains (not changed) for the people of God Hebrews 4:9 and why we should not to follow the same path of disobedience Hebrews 4:11

We are blessed when we obey, not through our disobiedence.

Isaiah 58:13 If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
14 Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord;
And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth,
And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father.
The mouth of the Lord has spoken.”

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's OT one-day Sabbath rest being a pattern/type of God's NT full-time Sabbath rest, from our own works (to save) and in Jesus' finished work which saves to the uttermost
That sure doesn’t fit with the NT scriptures……. It appears the Sabbath is still a day in the NT and not somehow became Jesus. We are not able to edit the commandments Deut 4:2 and the Ten Commandments which includes the Sabbath commandment Exodus 20:8-11 is God’s eternal law Revelation 11:19 Matthew 5:17-19 no changes to His commandments in scripture including editing the Sabbath commandment

At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.
- Matthew 12:1

But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
- Matthew 12:2

Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
- Matthew 12:5

For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
- Matthew 12:8

And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
- Matthew 12:10

And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
- Matthew 12:11

How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
- Matthew 12:12

But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
- Matthew 24:20

In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
- Matthew 28:1

And they went into Capernaum; and straightway on the sabbath day he entered into the synagogue, and taught.
- Mark 1:21

And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.
- Mark 2:23

And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?
- Mark 2:24

And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
- Mark 2:27

Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
- Mark 2:28

And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.
- Mark 3:2

And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.
- Mark 3:4

And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?
- Mark 6:2

And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
- Mark 15:42

And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
- Mark 16:1

And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
- Luke 4:16

And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.
- Luke 4:31

And it came to pass on the second sabbath after the first, that he went through the corn fields; and his disciples plucked the ears of corn, and did eat, rubbing them in their hands.
- Luke 6:1

And certain of the Pharisees said unto them, Why do ye that which is not lawful to do on the Sabbath days?
- Luke 6:2

And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
- Luke 6:5

And it came to pass also on another sabbath, that he entered into the synagogue and taught: and there was a man whose right hand was withered.
- Luke 6:6

And the scribes and Pharisees watched him, whether he would heal on the sabbath day; that they might find an accusation against him.
- Luke 6:7

Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it?
- Luke 6:9

And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.
- Luke 13:10

And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
- Luke 13:14

The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
- Luke 13:15

And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
- Luke 13:16

And it came to pass, as he went into the house of one of the chief Pharisees to eat bread on the sabbath day, that they watched him.
- Luke 14:1

And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day?
- Luke 14:3

And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?
- Luke 14:5

And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
- Luke 23:54

And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
- Luke 23:56

And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
- John 5:9

The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
- John 5:10

And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.
- John 5:16

Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
- John 5:18

Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
- John 7:22

If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?
- John 7:23

And it was the sabbath day when Jesus made the clay, and opened his eyes.
- John 9:14

Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.
- John 9:16

The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
- John 19:31

Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
- Acts 1:12

But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.
- Acts 13:14

For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him.
- Acts 13:27

And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
- Acts 13:42

And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.
- Acts 13:44

For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
- Acts 15:21

And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.
- Acts 16:13

And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
- Acts 17:2

And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
- Acts 18:4

• Winner
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree, I think it use incorrectly. It referring to the "day of Christ second coming" 2 Thessalonians 2:3

Upvote 0