Why the Protestant view of the Cross is wrong.

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As long as i'm being naughty: About the time you make up your mind on what Church your joining into communion with.:p:p:p
Only problem with that is some of them won't allow me to be in communion with the others. If I have to choose, then there's something wrong with all of them.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dislike the traditional Protestant view of crucifixion because it always over simplifies it into just "BABY JESUS WAS OUR ANIMAL SACRIFICE!!!!" And takes no notice of other views like Christus Victor. As if penal substitution is the only possible reality there.
Dude. That kind of simplification is very entertaining & would make a high impact bumpersticker but,...

That God-man was no baby when He was sacrificed.
His sacrifice being the victory, "Christ Victor" is there.
So as entertaining as you've been, that doesn't even represent ONE protestant view.

I think it is stretching charity to say it's neutral.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dude. That kind of simplification is very entertaining & would make a high impact bumpersticker but,...

That God-man was no baby when He was sacrificed.
His sacrifice being the victory, "Christ Victor" is there.
So as entertaining as you've been, that doesn't even represent ONE protestant view.

I think it is stretching charity to say it's neutral.

That was charitable of you to say, "stretching charity"^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get a chuckle from all y'all thinkin' that Prot slam was neutral.

Is everybody but me being sarcastic? (lol, it would serve me right)

I am under obligation to the facts as expressed by the icon

(that's all I will say) ^_^:p

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thou canst always try to convince me :)

OK. See, we (the EO and Catholics) have been awaiting a little lamb from texas to fix the scism for us. So the persistence of said scism is really your fault.:p
I hear it politically correct to shift blame;)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus
Thou canst always try to convince me :)
OK. See, we (the EO and Catholics) have been awaiting a little lamb from texas to fix the scism for us. So the persistence of said scism is really your fault.:p
I hear it politically correct to shift blame;)
I see no reason to fix it, since I feel that was ordained by God and was perhaps a good thing.... :)

[I wish the thread below was moved to the GT board :sorry:]

http://www.christianforums.com/t7496497-7/
Was God behind the great Schism of 1054?

This thread is actually an offshoot of another thread titled "Was God behind the Reformation" [I posted the link and OP below],
and essentially I would like to get views from others on whether God had a hand in the great schism of 1054. Here is a link to a little info on the momentus event in Christian history. Thanks and God bless

http://www.christianforums.com/t6790703-26/#post43066817
Great Schism and effect on Christianity and Theology

http://www.christianforums.com/t2562238/
Was God behind the Reformation?

I believe I have brought this up before as a reply in another thread, but it didn't get far. So I am starting a new thread for discussion.

My question: Was God behind the Reformation?

I may not hold the exact same positions as Luther or Calvin, but what I see in all the reformers was a common desire to love Jesus.

Today, there is a lot of Protestants who love Jesus and confess Him as Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9-10).

I can not see Satan wanting people to confess Jesus as Lord and Savior. I can not see Satan wanting people to repent for their sins and to be Christ-like. Therefore, since Satan (evil) was not behind the Reformation, God must have been. Look at how many people have been saved through Protestant/Non-denominational chruchs!

Yes, there might be a lot of different denominations, but they are all united in their belief in Jesus Christ, one of the only beliefs that truely counts! It is through Jesus we are saved.

I'm only bringing this up because a lot of Orthodox and Catholic brothers seem to look down on the Reformation (something that God had to have backed). I'm just trying to understand this position.

God bless...

Reactions: BrotherDC
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see no reason to fix it, since I feel that was ordained by God and was perhaps a good thing.... :)
I don't know whether it was of God,the devil, good or bad. But I know it causes us on both sides to look at ourselves closely. Even though it seems like we're looking at each other's faults (or supposed faults). those of God check their own eye first (thinking of your little camera thingy).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

LST 1154

I believe the reformation was hinted at in Jer 18:4 "And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do."

God is frequently called a "potter" (see Isa 29:16, Isa 64:8, Jer 18:6, and Rom 9:21) and we His children are frequently referred to as "clay" (see Isa 29:16, Isa 45:9, Isa 64:8, Jer 18:4 and 6, and Romans 9:21.) God's children went astray so God stepped in and reformed the clay as He saw fit.

Of course Catholics are not going to agree with this, but ya gotta admit it sure makes aheckavalotta sense!

LST

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I believe the reformation was hinted at in Jer 18:4 "And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do."

God is frequently called a "potter" (see Isa 29:16, Isa 64:8, Jer 18:6, and Rom 9:21) and we His children are frequently referred to as "clay" (see Isa 29:16, Isa 45:9, Isa 64:8, Jer 18:4 and 6, and Romans 9:21.) God's children went astray so God stepped in and reformed the clay as He saw fit.

Of course Catholics are not going to agree with this, but ya gotta admit it sure makes aheckavalotta sense!

LST

Except that Jeremiah 18:4 is about Judah.

Jeremiah 18:1-12 is the context. Read it and see.
The word that came to Jeremiah from Yahweh as follows, 'Get up and make your way down to the potter's house, and there I shall tell you what I have to say.' So I went down to the potter's house; and there he was, working at the wheel. But the vessel he was making came out wrong, as may happen with clay when a potter is at work. So he began again and shaped it into another vessel, as he thought fit. Then the word of Yahweh came to me as follows, 'House of Israel, can I not do to you what this potter does? Yahweh demands. Yes, like clay in the potter's hand, so you are in mine, House of Israel. Sometimes I announce that I shall uproot, break down and destroy a certain nation or kingdom, but should the nation I have threatened abandon its wickedness, I then change my mind about the disaster which I had intended to inflict on it. Sometimes I announce that I shall build up and plant a certain nation or kingdom, but should that nation do what displeases me and refuse to listen to my voice, I then change my mind about the good which I was intending to confer on it. So now, say this to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, "Yahweh says this: Listen, I am preparing a disaster for you, I am working out a plan against you. So now, each one of you, turn back from your evil ways, amend your conduct and actions." They, however, will say, "It is no use! We shall follow our own plans; each of us will act on his own wicked inclinations." ' -- Jeremiah 18:1-12​

Last edited:
Upvote 0