Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Glory to Jesus Christ!

I haven't gone through the various pages of this thread (other than the first post), but I would like to add something to the discussion:

Not all Eastern Orthodox Christians see Oriental Orthodox as being monophysites. In fact, those of us that don't regard you as monophysites aren't even a part of the most "liberal" groups.

As well all know, union between the Eastern Orthodox & Oriental Orthodox is probably the closest it's ever been to becoming reality within the last 2000 years.
I think many Oriental & Eastern Orthodox Christians believe our differences lay mainly in terminology & church politics rather than true dogmatic differences.

The Eastern Orthodox Church has an upcoming "Great Council" that is being preceded by several smaller, local councils. I think our view of the Orientals is possibly going to be one of the subjects of this council.

However, I will say that many of us do not believe you are monophysites or even heretics.

In addition, we must remember how close our two Churches are...

We are seeing more and more dialogue between our two churches. The acceptance of Orientals into our Church is varied in practice. Some Churches require full baptism, though this is rare. Typically acceptance into the EO Church is based on chrismation, or even confession or the recitation of the Nicene Creed.
There are even instances in the last 100 years of concelebration of services between EO and OO churches. (though this is very rare, and sometimes may result in disciplinary actions upon the EO clergy depending on where you are)

I see union between the EO and OO occurring within the next 100 years (maybe more though). I do not regard the OO as monophysites, however I will submit to the wisdom and leadership of the Eastern Orthodox Church while waiting and praying that maybe I will one day see union between the two...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coptic.Ray

Alexandrian
Apr 28, 2009
Boston Ma
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for stopping by.
Your assessment of the current situation is very accurate.
I'm very optimistic. 20 years ago you would hardly find any EO who accepts OO or vice versa, now a lot of people talk about unity and reconciliation which is great.
I guess we just to need to continue to educate people and reverse the stereotype. Once enough people from both sides are longing to unity it will be inevitable :)
God speed!
-Ray

Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Minasoliman,

I loved your post. I too long for the day when our Churches will work out their differences and enter into communion with one another. I was just reading the book "Orthodox Prayer Life: The Interior Way" by Matthew the Poor and was really blessed by it. I note that he includes quotes from Saints from EO Church as well like St Seraphim of Sarov.

I'm wondering what if any sort of ecumenical work is taking place between the EO, OO, and the East Syrian or "Nestorian" Church ? I've also been blessed by the writings of certain authors who were part of that communion ,particularly St Isaac the Syrian (who interestingly is counted among the saints by the EO, OO, East Syrians, and Catholics!), John of Dalyatha, and Joseph the Visionary.

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
Алтайский край, город Рубцовск
✟2,915.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Проблема может быть в том, что копты могут заявлять, что они не монофизиты, но они могут придерживаться монергизма Севира Антиохийского.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Проблема может быть в том, что копты могут заявлять, что они не монофизиты, но они могут придерживаться монергизма Севира Антиохийского.

Just because you post it in another language doesn't mean that you don't have to adhere to the rule applies to all the confessional forums: visitors from traditions not represented by the confessional forum in question are not free to teach against or lecture about the confession in question. Calling Mor Severus, the Crown of the Syrians and a champion of the Orthodox faith, a monergist definitely does this.

Or to put it in a way I hope you will understand: Уходите прочь. Это не форум для вашей отвратительной лжи.

Upvote 0

Nagomirov

Russian Orthodox Church
Mar 28, 2024
Алтайский край, город Рубцовск
✟2,915.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
То, что вы публикуете его на другом языке, не означает, что вы не обязаны придерживаться правила, применимого ко всем конфессиональным форумам: посетители из традиций, не представленных данным конфессиональным форумом, не могут свободно учить или читать лекции о данной конфессии. Называя Мор Севера, Венцом сирийцев и поборником православной веры, монергист определенно делает это.

Или, выражаясь так, что, я надеюсь, вы поймете: Уходите прочь. Это не форум для вашей отвратительной лжи.

Если я ошибаюсь, извините. Но давайте проясним ситуацию, чтобы не быть голословными. Я буду задавать вам вопросы, а вы на них отвечаете. Вопросы: 1) Сколько воли у Христа, согласно коптскому богословию? 2) Свободна ли человеческая воля Христа или нет? В качестве доказательства, пожалуйста, приведите цитаты из коптского богословия. Просто ответить своими словами не подойдет, не получится, нужно подтверждать источниками. Согласно греческому православию, Христос имеет две воли: человеческая воля свободно подчиняется Божественному, а человеческая воля послушна Божественному. Для Иоанна Дамаскина человеческая воля Христова – это воля здоровой человеческой природы, стремящейся к добру. По мнению Севира Антиохийского, тленной человеческой природе Христа нельзя было позволить желать, поэтому он сделал Его просто объектом воли Слова. Иоанн Дамаскин учит нас: «Итак, хотя душа Господня желала, свободно двигалась, она свободно желала того, чего желала Его Божественная воля. Ибо плоть не пошевелилась от волнения Слова; ибо и Моисей, и все святые двигались по повелению Божию; но один и тот же Единый, будучи и Богом, и человеком, желал и Божественной, и человеческой воли». Так, по мнению Дамаска, неверно говорить, что желания в человеческой воле Христа возникли только тогда, когда Божественная воля соизволила это сделать. Человеческая воля Христова всегда свободно желала делать то, чего хотела Божественная воля. До Иоанна Дамаскина этот аспект христологии подробно рассматривал Максим Исповедник. Мысль Иоанна Дамаскина показывает противоположность севирианства, будучи мыслью о двух свободах Христа в соответствии с каждой из Его воли. Для Севира Антиохийского человеческая природа Христа не бесплатна, has no freedom.

Upvote 0