let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Having read through this whole thread I decided to join this forum - mainly to say a big thank you to Minasoliman, whose posts here really do deserve to called awesome!
:clap:
Those who ask why he is being defensive are missing his point; he isn't. He is simply stating the truth about the Copts and about the Oriental Orthodox generally.

I am a convert to Orthodoxy, and, being from the UK, the first place I looked was towards the Eastern Orthodox; but it was with the British Orthodox Church that I found the Christian spirit for which I had been searching all my life; and I discovered this was characteristic of the Oriental Orthodox.

I worried, at first, about the charges of Monophysitism, but soon came to see how utterly unjustified they were. But comments like those of Mina here were just so helpful, not just in refuting the slanders, but in helping me to understand the fullness of Orthodoxy in the Coptic tradition.

So, Mina, and others here, thank you so much -

In Him,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Spyridon,

Perhaps it has something to do with the way so many non Oriental Orthodox persist in misrepresenting our beliefs?

I suspect that if the EOs were faced with sites saying they were diophysites in blatant disregard of all the evidence to the contrary, they would try to clear up such a misrepresentation.

Anglian

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If it weren't for the Oriental Orthodox friends that I've had in life, I probably wouldn't be Orthodox right now. I can never turn my back on these friends.

Dear Spyridion,

That is a moving thought, and I am sure that most Oriental Orthodox would acknowledge the wisdom and compassion of so many Eastern Orthodox worshippers and saints.

Our hierarchies will, no doubt, get round to concentrating upon what unites us rather than what divides us - it's just a shame they are so far behind the laity on this.

Wishing you and all our Orthodox brothers and sisters a happy feast of the Nativity,

In peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpyridonOCA

Aug 18, 2007
✟3,415.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a strange sense of humor. The absurdity of saying you should consult me (as in the Great And Powerful I) to find out what you believe is what I consider a joke. It is poking fun at myseld, that my arrogance should be so massive.

May peace be multiplied to you, who dwell in lands of violent madmen.

JR

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have really enjoyed and learned much from this thread. I have read much concerning the defense of Non-Chalcedonians for their positions. You have probably covered this lots of times, but I wonder whether you could point me to any links that list what the Oriental Orthodox feel would be needed in terms of doctrinal renunciation stemming from development in the 5-7th Councils or beyond, prior to finalizing any reconciliation with the Eastern Orthodox.

I won't go so far as to ask the same question concerning the Roman Catholics as I suspect this would require volumes. I am just wondering whether the existing OO/EO schizm carries a similarly predigious mess. I would like to possibly put sorting through it on my to-do list if the tangle isn't too frizzly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear Sin_Vladimirov,

The solution according to the Agreed Statements is neither. The only change is that rather than "Ecumenecity" we treat the last four councils as "Local" councils. There are so many local councils that haven't been accepted by the Universal Church. If we trully believe that the Universal Church continued to exist between Orientals and Easterns, the last four councils are not "ecumenical" but local, and you may continue to keep the faith of the last four councils. We already accept the faith, but its decrees require condemnation of our fathers, and we can't accept that. "Lifting of anathemas" is not uncanonical, and those councils can continue to be accepted even if anathemas are lifted.

Xrictoc anecti!

I know this is a reply to a very old post, but I am wondering what this term "anathema" really means. It seems it was applied to documents, to people, and in a Post-Chalcedonian Council, even to the dead. The word seems to be a curse. Cursing seems to be so unbecoming of those who are to be known by their love and judged by their mercy.

I would welcome an answer by both an OO or an EO, preferably both.

By the way, I commend you for the depth of your study and your patience.

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear James,

Sorry to have missed this earlier.
I have really enjoyed and learned much from this thread. I have read much concerning the defense of Non-Chalcedonians for their positions. You have probably covered this lots of times, but I wonder whether you could point me to any links that list what the Oriental Orthodox feel would be needed in terms of doctrinal renunciation stemming from development in the 5-7th Councils or beyond, prior to finalizing any reconciliation with the Eastern Orthodox.
This site will help answer your questions.
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/index.html

As for Rome, well, if they would go back to what used to be the case, that is Rome has a primacy of honour, and give up novelties like Papal Infallibility, the filioque, and the Immaculate Conception, we'd be getting somewhere.

Peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0