Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is nothing in either book that would make you choose one over the other based simply upon the books themselves and the words contained within. There is plenty of bloodshed, what we would consider immorality, ignorance and blatant misinformation in both. Many like to harp upon Mohammed marrying a nine-year old. To us that's horrible. But in the Middle East they still do that today. Horrible or cultural trait? Christians mimic the eating of human flesh and the drinking of human blood. Some would argue with me that it is actually human flesh and blood. So... horrible?

Look at a map. Find a spot and then figure out if that spot is Christian or Muslim or Hindi or whatever. Religion is GEOGRAPHIC in nature. That's how you figure out which book is accepted there.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, the question still has not been answered by you. Do you actually have an answer or are you just trying to derail the thread? I am actually really interested in the answers that people will have so please don't distract from the purpose of this thread.
I've already given him a good answer here:
If you want to know what we think of the Koran from our perspective -- and I suspect you don't -- you are going to get the Koran from our perspective.

I already gave you four excellent reasons why I believe the Koran to be bogus.

For the record, here they are again:

1. The Koran and the Bible contradict each other.
  2. Mohammad is considered a false prophet.
  3. The Bible generates our faith, not the Koran
  4. The Author of the Bible indwells us.
Unless you want me to believe you're asking a legitimate question in order to ridicule our answers, you're going to have to try a different approach.
I guess it's your turn now to deface our beliefs, eh?

Just can't wait ... can you?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing in either book that would make you choose one over the other based simply upon the books themselves and the words contained within.
Bet me.

Mohammad is a false prophet, and was so-called by Christians of the past, who paid for that with their lives.

After the Scriptures were completed in 96 AD, there was no need for God to call any further prophets.

2 Peter 1:19a We have also a more sure word of prophecy;

That "more sure word" is the Bible.

Peter is saying that the Bible completes all prophetic utterances.

When a Mohammad, or a Joseph Smith, or anyone presents himself as a prophet, he is exposing himself to Christians as a liar.

Upvote 0

Syd the Human

Let it go
Mar 27, 2014
✟15,685.00
Faith
Agnostic

I guess it's your turn now to deface our beliefs, eh?

Just can't wait ... can you?

I see you just took that from another thread since when I glanced through the previous posts again that was not there. How would I even know that you said that earlier?

I just wanted to see the answers to the question.

Upvote 0

Syd the Human

Let it go
Mar 27, 2014
✟15,685.00
Faith
Agnostic
Bet me.

Mohammad is a false prophet, and was so-called by Christians of the past, who paid for that with their lives.

After the Scriptures were completed in 96 AD, there was no need for God to call any further prophets.

That "more sure word" is the Bible.

Peter is saying that the Bible completes all prophetic utterances.

When a Mohammad, or a Joseph Smith, or anyone presents himself as a prophet, he is exposing himself to Christians as a liar.

You are using the Bible to refute the Qur'an. So, of course the Bible will go against anything that is not the Bible. I could easily just go to the Qur'an and it say that Christians got it wrong. Besides, people like Paul were not there when Jesus was alive. Yet we take his word since it is in the Bible. I remember one guy making the point that Paul is like the John Smith of the Bible, and he kind of has a point.

Upvote 0

Syd the Human

Let it go
Mar 27, 2014
✟15,685.00
Faith
Agnostic
Well for one, the Koran changes a lot of the stories that were in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures, and the excuses Muslims give is that "those previous scriptures were all wrong and corrupted, Muhammed just corrected them after he was given the correct versions", yet we have examples of scripture such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and ancient Hebrew texts dating to before Muhammad and it contradicts what the Koran says.

Well, who can decide that the Dead Sea Scrolls and other ancient Hebrew texts are correct? I am sure that you know about how there were many forgeries written in that time. A group of people decided which ones were right and wrong, but unless those people were perfect they could easily make mistakes in this regard. So, if some of the texts within the Bible are wrong and we search for texts that match up with those texts, then the texts that match up are also probably wrong.

For all you know, the Muslims have it right. They corrected what was wrong with the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well for one, the Koran changes a lot of the stories that were in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures, and the excuses Muslims give is that "those previous scriptures were all wrong and corrupted, Muhammed just corrected them after he was given the correct versions", yet we have examples of scripture such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and ancient Hebrew texts dating to before Muhammad and it contradicts what the Koran says.

From my opening post:

Refrain from answers that employ:
- confirmation bias (= "because I already believe the bible" or judging the quran through bible-believing goggles)

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Your answer is an example of confirmation bias.

Your "reasans" can be summarized as:
- i allready believe the bible
- the koran doesn't agree with the bible

Your answer is the reason why i asked for some intellectual honesty and not invoking fallacious reasoning.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bet me.

Christians considered the prophet of a rival religion as "false"??? Shocker!!

Confirmation bias: judging the quran through bible-believing goggles

More confirmation bias

If you don't have anything of value to add to this thread that isn't rooted in more logical fallacies, please stop posting.

I'm actually hoping someone will come in here and give a reasoned response. I don't need your intellectually dishonest shennanigans here.

So, please, take a hike :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The new testament is written by several people about 1 mans teachings of expansion of his faith through love and peace , the koran is written by 1 man about his teachings of expansion through domination.

First of all, the koran was not written by 1 man. It was written by the companions of this man.

Having said that, why does it matter how many authors it has in terms of credibility?

Your other reason seems pretty emotional to me...
Is the credibility of the bible really bigger because its message appeals to you more?

From my op:
Go at it without any preconceived beliefs, notions, whatever.
Leave emotions out of it.

The truth of the books does not depend on you liking the message.

Just for the record: I don't see why god couldn't be an a-hole. Assuming that god MUST preach love, peace and other hippy values is, again, an example of confirmation bias. You view your christian god that way, and you only do so because the book of the religion you happen to buy into happens to describe jezus as a Hippy that missed woodstock by 2000 years.

So, confirmation bias and emotional reasoning.

Any other takers who wish to have a shot at presented an actual valid reasoning for why the bible is supposedly more credible then the quran?

I expected more from people who seem so absolutely certain that they picked the only correct religion.

Here's a reminder for all of you: Peter 3:15
Seems like none of you have done your homework.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yea. I mean, the odds are that if you'd been raised Muslim you'd think the Bible was the errant one.
And what about Muslim converts to Christianity?

How do you explain those?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Syd the Human

Let it go
Mar 27, 2014
✟15,685.00
Faith
Agnostic

Islam is one of the fastest growing religions.

An Uncertain Road: Muslims and the Future of Europe | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

The Global Religious Landscape | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Now more to the point. The only reason that people will convert is if they are taught that a different religion exists from those from that different religion. For example, if you had been born into a pagan household and had never in your entire life heard of what Christianity was, would you become a Christian? No, because you did not know it existed. Now the the world is "getting smaller" other religions will infiltrate to other regions of the world spreading their religion.

But, the major religion of each region will probably stay that way. In oriental countries one of the major religions will be Buddhism. Of course there will be those who practice different religions, but that one will still be the religion that most practice which will then be passed down to their children and so on.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How can I, as a hypothetical person who has first contact with both stories, conclude which one I should be believing?

Looking forward to your answers,
Dogma.

Very very simple. Ask a question and compare the answers. Pick one which you like better.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

The same way you explain Christians who convert to Islam? Or Christian converts to [insert any other religion here]. Conversion happens all the time, in every direction.

Upvote 0