Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This thread is a follow up on a post I made in another thread. Apparantly it caused a bit of a stir and since we were going very off topic, I decided this topic deserved its own thread.

The topic came up after I saw EternalDragon mention that he read the quran.
I asked him what it is about the bible that gives it more credibility then the quran. Or what it is about the quran that gives it less credibility then the bible.

Several people answered and all I got as answers were as fallacious as it gets.
The most recuring fallacious themes here were confirmation bias, double standards and circular reasoning.

Consider this simplistic example... If I ask you why you believe 2+2 equals 4 and not 5... then answering "because I already believe it is 4" is not a valid answer.

That doesn't tell me why it's more rational to believe it's 4 rather then 5. I require an actual argument, a demonstration,...something...anything.

Not a priori nonsense or other fallacies.

Likewise, when receiving answers to my question of quran credibility vs bible credibility, they could be summarized as "The bible has more credibility because I believe it". Which is, off course, fallacious nonsense.

So, in the hope of getting an actual reasoned answer, I'll ask again to the entire forum:

What is it about the bible that gives it more credibility then the quran?
Why do you believe the bible and not the quran?

Try to be intellectually honest about this.
Refrain from answers that employ:
- confirmation bias (= "because I already believe the bible" or judging the quran through bible-believing goggles)
- circular reasoning (= "the bible is true because god says so in the bible and god exists because the bible says so.... in the bible).
- double standards (= judging jesus going by bible descriptions of him while judging mohammed by non-quranic descriptions of him)

If you want help on how to go about this...
Take a step back and view it objectively. Forget for a second that you are a christian and lay the books side by side and ask yourself how you will decide which one is more plausible, more credible.

Go at it without any preconceived beliefs, notions, whatever.
Leave emotions out of it.

How can I, as a hypothetical person who has first contact with both stories, conclude which one I should be believing?

Looking forward to your answers,
Dogma.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is a follow up on a post I made in another thread. Apparantly it caused a bit of a stir and since we were going very off topic, I decided this topic deserved its own thread.

The topic came up after I saw EternalDragon mention that he read the quran.
I asked him what it is about the bible that gives it more credibility then the quran. Or what it is about the quran that gives it less credibility then the bible.

Several people answered and all I got as answers were as fallacious as it gets.
The most recuring fallacious themes here were confirmation bias, double standards and circular reasoning.

Consider this simplistic example... If I ask you why you believe 2+2 equals 4 and not 5... then answering "because I already believe it is 4" is not a valid answer.

That doesn't tell me why it's more rational to believe it's 4 rather then 5. I require an actual argument, a demonstration,...something...anything.

Not a priori nonsense or other fallacies.

Likewise, when receiving answers to my question of quran credibility vs bible credibility, they could be summarized as "The bible has more credibility because I believe it". Which is, off course, fallacious nonsense.

So, in the hope of getting an actual reasoned answer, I'll ask again to the entire forum:

What is it about the bible that gives it more credibility then the quran?
Why do you believe the bible and not the quran?

Try to be intellectually honest about this.
Refrain from answers that employ:
- confirmation bias (= "because I already believe the bible" or judging the quran through bible-believing goggles)
- circular reasoning (= "the bible is true because god says so in the bible and god exists because the bible says so.... in the bible).
- double standards (= judging jesus going by bible descriptions of him while judging mohammed by non-quranic descriptions of him)

If you want help on how to go about this...
Take a step back and view it objectively. Forget for a second that you are a christian and lay the books side by side and ask yourself how you will decide which one is more plausible, more credible.

Go at it without any preconceived beliefs, notions, whatever.
Leave emotions out of it.

How can I, as a hypothetical person who has first contact with both stories, conclude which one I should be believing?

Looking forward to your answers,
Dogma.

Are you sure you've covered all the answers you won't accept?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I will wager that nearly every single poster who answers that the Bible somehow has more credibility also grew up in a Christian household and was taught the Bible as a child.

What keeps them believing?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are not expecting a rational answer are you?:)
Notice, he's asking why we believe the Bible over the Koran -- not why we prefer the Bible over the Koran.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why do I believe that 2+2=4? Because I can deduce it from the axioms of ZFC set theory.

How do I know that the axioms of ZFC set theory are true or self consistent? Because it is what I presuppose.

Reactions: MKJ
Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd say the Koran has a monopoly on that.

Huh? Christianity plays on fear just as much, I'd wager. I mean, I know/have known plenty of people who walk through life on eggshells afraid they'll sin and get sent to hell for eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Huh? Christianity plays on fear just as much, I'd wager. I mean, I know/have known plenty of people who walk through life on eggshells afraid they'll sin and get sent to hell for eternity.
But you're not afraid ... are you?

No, sir.

In fact, you're above all this:
Fear, guilt, warm fuzzies, community, comfort, purpose... I could name many, many reasons why.
... aren't you?

So much so, that you can look down on those who keep believing the Bible, in spite of the Koran ... right?

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
But you're not afraid ... are you?

No, sir.

In fact, you're above all this:

... aren't you?

So much so, that you can look down on those who keep believing the Bible, in spite of the Koran ... right?

No, I am human which means I'm subject to all of those things. Also, I don't particularly "look down" on believers.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I am human which means I'm subject to all of those things. Also, I don't particularly "look down" on believers.

Then your point can take a hike.

Upvote 0

Syd the Human

Let it go
Mar 27, 2014
✟8,185.00
Faith
Agnostic

He was just saying the possible reasons, not absolutes.

So, the question still has not been answered by you. Do you actually have an answer or are you just trying to derail the thread? I am actually really interested in the answers that people will have so please don't distract from the purpose of this thread.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you sure you've covered all the answers you won't accept?

Probably not. I'm sure some of you will manage to drag other logical fallacies into this.

I don't have to appologise for not accepting fallacious answers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't even know what that means? My point was simply: I think most Christians who say the Bible has more validity than other religious texts say so because they were raised with it and were, more or less, indoctrinated as children. If you disagree with this statement, please answer why.

^ This is completely on-topic.

Also, this message will self-destruct.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well for one, the Koran changes a lot of the stories that were in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures, and the excuses Muslims give is that "those previous scriptures were all wrong and corrupted, Muhammed just corrected them after he was given the correct versions", yet we have examples of scripture such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and ancient Hebrew texts dating to before Muhammad and it contradicts what the Koran says.

Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well for one, the Koran changes a lot of the stories that were in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures, and the excuses Muslims give is that "those previous scriptures were all wrong and corrupted, Muhammed just corrected them after he was given the correct versions", yet we have examples of scripture such as the Dead Sea Scrolls and ancient Hebrew texts dating to before Muhammad and it contradicts what the Koran says.
Let's just suppose that it does. Changing a story is not evidence that one is right and the other is wrong. It's just evidence that the story was changed.

Upvote 0