"Why should I let you into my heaven?"

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, for the typical believer, ... we are God's child in our past, we are God's child now, ... and we will be God's child in the future.

If such is the case: Then why are there believers who appear to not make it into the Kingdom? Matthew 7:21-23 makes it clear that there are believers who do not do God’s will and thus as a result they are told by the Lord Jesus Himself at the Judgment to depart from Him because they worked iniquity. Iniquity is sin. Matthew 7:26-27 confirms the truth that what kind of sin this is, as well. Jesus says those who do not what He says they are like fools who built their house upon the sand, and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house (i.e. they are not saved).

Also, being a child or son does not mean one is saved, either. Scripture talks about how the children of the kingdom are cast into outer darkness (Matthew 8:12). We also learn in the “Parable of the Prodigal Son” that when the prodigal son came home, and sought forgiveness with his father, his father said that he was “dead” and he is “alive AGAIN” (See: Luke 15:24, and Luke 15:32). The parable is speaking in spiritual terms because the son did not physically die when he was living it up with prostitutes. The son died spiritually while he was living in sin. The son became alive AGAIN spiritually when he came back home to his father and sought forgiveness with him. This same truth is expressed in James 5:19-20, as well. So that’s a double witness of the same truth being expressed in Scripture. This is why we are told to work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). But in your view of salvation, we are always a saved child and we do not need to worry about sin and or worry about working out our salvation with fear and trembling.

Jesus said narrow is the way that leads unto life and FEW be there that find it (Matthew 7:14).
Jesus said, “For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matthew 16:26).
Jesus said that a person can be cast bodily into hellfire for looking upon a woman in lust (Matthew 5:28-30). This was said to believers and not unbelievers because if an unbeliever does not look at any woman in lust their whole life, they will still be condemned because they did not accept Jesus Christ as their Savior. So verses like Matthew 16:26, and Matthew 5:28-30 are said to the believer. So you cannot pick and choose the comforting verses you want to hear from your slanted point of view. You have to look at the whole counsel of God’s Word, friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is eternal life, a gift given by God, sustained and maintained by God.

Jesus is the source of our eternal life. Without Jesus, we have no life. Eternal life is not a super power or magical wish granted to us like from a genie. For Jesus alone possesses immortality (See: 1 Timothy 6:15-16). Jesus is the way, the truth, and the LIFE (See: John 14:6).

“He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.” (1 John 5:12).

How can we have an assurance that we know the Lord (i.e. salvation)?

“And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.” (1 John 2:3).

Yet, we know the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commands (i.e. they sin - 1 John 3:4), they are a liar and the truth (Jesus) is not in them.

“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4).

You said:
Yet your argument is that there is something which we, the giftees, need to do to sustain our eternal life with God.

Yes, there are plenty of warnings in Scripture that you ignore, friend.

Jesus says that if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day (John 12:48).

What words of Jesus can we refuse to receive can judge us?

Oh, words like Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62, etc.

You said:
This, despite scriptural assurances that God will never disown us ... and that nothing can snatch us out of His hand. If God can keep us from stumbling or falling, then surely He can keep us securely in Hand.

But before you appeared to suggest that we will always stumble (Implying that God cannot keep us from stumbling). Hence, why I brought up Jude 1:24. Yet, you changed the subject because it does not align with what you believe. You brought up the famous John 10:28 promise. But if you were to carefully look at that promise for the believer, it is only for those sheep (believers) who hear and follow Jesus (See: John 10:27). For Jesus says these are the kind of sheep that cannot be snatched out of his hand. Jesus does not refer to lazy sheep who do not follow Him.

You said:
As God kept Abraham, despite his sin, ... and David, despite his sin, and Peter, despite his sin (denying Christ, hypocritically shunning the Gentile believers, and just basically, being mouthy and pushy). As God kept our forefathers in the faith, even so He can keep us.

God can keep us even when we may stumble, but this is stumbling unintentionally. These are NOT cases of any kind of willful high handed sins done ahead of time with their planning to sin and still be saved. No such concept like that existed in their minds like that. They did not think they are slaves to grievous sin and that they are just saved because they have a belief on Jesus or God. David confessed of his sins to the Lord and desired to be forgiven in Psalms 51. Forgiveness of sin is obviously dealing with salvation. There was no greasy grace going on here. Peter also needed to repent and seek forgiveness of his sin in denying the Lord to restore his relationship back with God. The life of the believer does not continue to treat sin as a fluffy kitten that does them no harm to their eternal status with God. If such was the case, then there would be no tears shed. They could openly sin grossly in many ways, and just shrug it off as nothing because they are a saved child of God. But the saints of God in the OT and NT did not treat God’s grace as a license for immorality. Jude 1:4 warns against that very thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:21-23 makes it clear that there are believers who do not do God’s will and thus as a result they are told by the Lord Jesus Himself at the Judgment to depart from Him because they worked iniquity.
These are clearly not believers.

They claim to have performed works in Jesus' name, but Jesus says that He NEVER knew them. If we are to believe Jesus when He speaks here, these
could not EVER have had relationship with Christ.
Also, being a child or son does not mean one is saved, either. Scripture talks about how the children of the kingdom are cast into outer darkness (Matthew 8:12). We also learn in the “Parable of the Prodigal Son” that when the prodigal son came home, and sought forgiveness with his father, his father said that he was “dead” and he is “alive AGAIN” (See: Luke 15:24, and Luke 15:32). The parable is speaking in spiritual terms because the son did not physically die when he was living it up with prostitutes. The son died spiritually while he was living in sin. The son became alive AGAIN spiritually when he came back home to his father and sought forgiveness with him.
The case of the Prodigal Son emphasizes a few spiritual truths.

One ... a son is always a son. The relationship of God the Father to His children endures ... and overcomes periods of strain.

Two ... the son is described as being "in a far off country". Again, the Father/child relationship is strained, rather than broken.

Three ... the son came back. The son fulfilled the expectation of a true child of God. Though they may have periods of being afar off from the will of God, ... they will always come home. Note also that the Father never stopped waiting upon his son to come home ... it was something that he expected.

Four ... the elder son was not without his own error (in relationship). Even though the Father testified that the elder had, indeed, stayed with him and served him in every way, ... the elder son had not rejoiced to see his brother come home. His was not the loving response of his Father ... he, too, had further to grow. And yet, ... he too ... is a son.

I think that I should like to digress a bit here ... and discuss some of the implication of God modeling our saved relationship with Him ... as becoming a part of His family. Families are complex relationships ... which do not consist of everyone in the family always obeying the headship of the family ... or else leaving the family or being expelled. Families endure strains in relationship as a matter of course ... and yet, in the vast majority of cases, remain viable relating bodies. It is rare that you hear of anyone being absolutely cut off from their family. And if we can, generally, keep our families together, ... surely God can, Who is a better Father than any of us.

Matthew 7:11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

(Also note here ... that Jesus calls those He is teaching here (believers, you say) ... "evil". I wonder why He would do that ...

Jesus said that a person can be cast bodily into hellfire for looking upon a woman in lust (Matthew 5:28-30). This was said to believers and not unbelievers because if an unbeliever does not look at any woman in lust their whole life, they will still be condemned because they did not accept Jesus Christ as their Savior. So verses like Matthew 16:26, and Matthew 5:28-30 are said to the believer.
These were not believers ... at this point in Jesus' ministry ... as Jesus had not yet proclaimed how one enters the kingdom of God (i.e. through faith in Him). These were hearers .. as Jesus explained and illustrated the nature of the kingdom of God. Starting with the beatitudes, Jesus proclaimed the will of God for His people. It was only later that knowledge of HOW to enter the kingdom was shared. For instance, it is in Matthew 16 that Jesus tells Peter that the Father has given him (Peter) the knowledge of Jesus' true identity.

The imparting of the truth about Jesus' salvific ministry was only fully accomplished as His followers experienced His death and resurrection.

Faith in Jesus which arose prior to His general gospel revelation ... is always marveled at by Jesus, ... and is almost always rewarded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.” (1 John 2:3).

Yet, we know the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commands (i.e. they sin - 1 John 3:4), they are a liar and the truth (Jesus) is not in them.

“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John 2:4).
So ... what of Peter, who denied Him ?

Matthew 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

It is obvious that relationship with God is not based upon perfect obedience (that's Law), ... but upon forgiveness of disobedience (that's Grace).

This is the way of the second covenant.

John 1: 17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 8

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

David confessed of his sins to the Lord and desired to be forgiven in Psalms 51.
Yes ... after God (the Father) sent Nathan to David (His son). God accomplished Nathan's repentance, as He did with the Prodigal ...
Peter also needed to repent and seek forgiveness of his sin in denying the Lord to restore his relationship back with God.
Yes ... one can assume that happened (it is not recorded) ... AFTER Jesus sent word for Peter (specifically) to meet Him in Jerusalem. In a quiet time with Peter afterwards, Jesus leads Peter to reaffirm his devotion to Him ("Simon son of John, do you love Me?").

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I read the Scriptures, I see 4 different aspects of salvation described.

#1. Provisional Atonement (not "Limited Atonement").
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by being saved by God's grace and Sanctification).
This is Jesus paying the price for the sins of the entire world so as to offer mankind the free gift of salvation (if they so choose to accept it); Note: Christ's resurrection (to give us a new body not tainted by sin one day), and the ascension to the Father (after Christ telling Mary not to touch Him), and his entering the holy temple by his blood (to be our Heavenly High Priest) is also included in the Provisional Atonement, too. (For Provisional Atonement verses, see: John 1:29, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:6, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Romans 5:6-8.) (Note: The best way to describe the Provisional Atonement is like a man who paid the price to pay off your debts by his handing you a check to be debt free; But it is up to you to receive the check, deposit it into your checking account, and pay off those you are in debt to; It's a gift, but like all good gifts in life, you have to receive the gift and use it properly to be of any benefit). Jesus provided an atonement, but it is up to us to receive it to personally apply to our lives by having a proper faith. Men will remain as sinners if they reject the Provisional Atonement of Jesus Christ. Jesus provided a provisional atonement (salvation) in dealing with sin as a way of escape for mankind to be saved through accepting Him (Who is the gift).

#2. God's Grace Through Faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior
(Initial Salvation, and or Foundational Salvation).
(The 1st synergistic work of GOD done in a believer).
Being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus as ones Savior is the entrance gate to salvation, and it is the foundation of our salvation (by faith) upon which we stand. Being saved by God's grace is believing the gospel (Which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it - Romans 1:16). According to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4: The gospel is you believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He had risen again three days later for your salvation (Note: Do not let anyone sell you on another gospel besides this one). Depending on a person’s access or exposure to the Word: Being saved by God's grace will also generally include receiving Jesus as your Savior (John 1:12), and calling upon the name of the Lord (i.e. confessing with your mouth the words: “Lord Jesus” or similar equivalent - Romans 10:9) as a part of seeking forgiveness of your sins with Him by way of prayer (Romans 10:13) (Luke 15:18-21) (Luke 18:9-14). This process of salvation is without the deeds of the Law or works because it is based upon God’s mercy and grace and His redemptive work. As a result: One is born again spiritually (Note: Born again by the Spirit, and born again by water (i.e. the Scriptures - Romans 10:17, 1 Peter 1:23)). A person is foundationally or ultimately saved by God’s grace because if they happen to sin on rare occasion in their Christian walk, they do not do a good work to absolve that sin, but they confess of their sins to Jesus in order to be forgiven of that sin (1 John 1:9) (1 John 2:1) (Hebrews 4:16) (For verses on being saved by God's grace, see: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:1-6, Titus 3:4-7, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Luke 18:9-14, Romans 5:1-2).

#3. Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life
(The Next Step or Phase in the Salvation Process).
(The 2nd synergistic work of God done in a believer).
Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life is the next step or phase in Salvation for a believer who lives out their faith; This is the work of God moving in a believer's life so as to help them to live holy, and to do good works and to put away the lusts of the flesh. These good works are the works of God done through the believer, and so all boasting or praise is given to the Lord. Therefore, there is no boasting in one's own work because they are ultimately the works of God done through the believer. A believer today who obeys the Lord looks to the commands of Jesus and His followers within the New Testament primarily. For believers today are not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole package deal (even though certain laws have carried over into the New Testament). Basically all ceremonial laws and judicial laws in the Old Testament no longer apply. For example: Believers do not have to keep the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, animal sacrifices, holy days, etc.; However, believers must keep God's Moral Laws like: Do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, do not lie, do commit adultery, etc.; Two of the greatest commands that we should focus on daily is to love God and love our neighbor which is more fully described in Mark 12:29-31. We need to worship or adore the Lord our God, preach the gospel, help the poor, love the brethren, love our enemies, and live holy lives, etc. (For Sanctification verses, see: James 2:24, James 2:17-18, Titus 1:16, Hebrews 5:9, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Hebrews 12:14, Romans 8:1 (KJV), 1 Corinthians 16:22, Romans 8:13, etc.).

#4. Glorification (The Future Salvation of the Truly Faithful Believer).
(A 100% Work of God alone that can only be applied personally to an individual's life via by being saved by God's grace and by properly applying the Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life).
Glorification is when God takes the believer home to be with Him in His kingdom and He gives Him a new resurrected body that is not tainted by sin. This process of salvation (in being taken home) is a by product automatically for those believers who properly apply God's grace through faith in Christ, and Sanctification to their lives (For Glorification verses, see: 1 Peter 5:4, 1 Peter 1:4, 1 Corinthians 15:51-57, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Romans 13:11, Philippians 3:20-21, Hebrews 9:28).

Conclusion:

God's grace, and then Sanctification is what we as believers need to be focused on. For if we are saved by His grace, and sanctified (which is only made possible by the Provisional Atonement), then we will be glorified.
To reply briefly to this post, ... I will say that God accomplishes our reconciliation with Him (the goal) ... through our justification through the ministry of Jesus.

God accomplishes our sanctification (i.e. growth in His ways) ... through the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

And He will accomplish our final glorification.
(Note: The best way to describe the Provisional Atonement is like a man who paid the price to pay off your debts by his handing you a check to be debt free; But it is up to you to receive the check, deposit it into your checking account, and pay off those you are in debt to; It's a gift, but like all good gifts in life, you have to receive the gift and use it properly to be of any benefit).
There is not a lick of scripture which supports such a proposition.

Jesus paid the price for our sins ... personally. He paid the debt ... the debt is paid.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

1 John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

It is, simply, up to us ... to believe this truth ... in faith. God accomplishes the rest ...

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible Highlighter said:
Matthew 7:21-23 makes it clear that there are believers who do not do God’s will and thus as a result they are told by the Lord Jesus Himself at the Judgment to depart from Him because they worked iniquity.

They claim to have performed works in Jesus' name, but Jesus says that He NEVER knew them. If we are to believe Jesus when He speaks here, these

God associates with those who do righteousness (1 John 3:10).

Ezekiel 3:20 says,
“Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.”

So when a believer (righteous man) does turn from living righteously and he commits sin or iniquity, all his previous righteous deeds will not be remembered. So it will be as if this person does not even exist in God's memory anymore because there are no more righteous deeds to remember seeing God associates with the righteous.

Also, when you read Matthew 7:23, you also have to read Matthew 7:26-27.

Jesus made a point in how that everyone who does not do what He says is like a fool who built his house upon the sand and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house. So Jesus' point in Matthew 7:23 is that those who did wonderful works in his name did not make it because they also worked iniquity or sin. These believers did not know Jesus because they did not keep His commandments.

For 1 John 2:3 says, “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 2:4 says,
“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible Highlighter said:

But lets say for the sake of argument that you are correct on Matthew 7:21-23, and these are not real genuine believers. Maybe they are pretenders out to make a buck (i.e. to fleece the flock), or maybe they believe in another Jesus. However, you cannot use that same excuse with Matthew 13:41-42.

At the Judgment: Matthew 13:41-42 says that the Son of man (JESUS) will send forth his angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM all things that offend and those who do iniquity (sin) and they will be cast into the furnace of fire (the Lake of Fire).

[41] “The Son of man shall send forth his angels,
and they shall gather out of
his kingdom all things that offend,
and them which do iniquity;
[42] And shall cast them into a furnace of fire:
there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
” (Matthew 13:41-42).​

In other words, a believer can be in HIS KINGDOM now, and later be cast out into the lake of fire at the judgment on account of their doing iniquity (i.e. justifying sin).

For what if one is wrong, and this interpretation is true? What if indeed that Jesus will send forth his angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM those believers who justify sin (like saying Jesus' words do not apply in Matthew 5:28-30, etc.) and they make lite of sin, etc. and they end up being cast into the lake of fire? Would that not change your life and how you read the Scriptures, and how you live for the Lord? But what if I am wrong? Well, then we are all saved by God's grace by a belief in Jesus as the savior and a belief in the gospel, right?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The case of the Prodigal Son emphasizes a few spiritual truths.

One ... a son is always a son. The relationship of God the Father to His children endures ... and overcomes periods of strain.

Two ... the son is described as being "in a far off country". Again, the Father/child relationship is strained, rather than broken.

Three ... the son came back. The son fulfilled the expectation of a true child of God. Though they may have periods of being afar off from the will of God, ... they will always come home. Note also that the Father never stopped waiting upon his son to come home ... it was something that he expected.

Four ... the elder son was not without his own error (in relationship). Even though the Father testified that the elder had, indeed, stayed with him and served him in every way, ... the elder son had not rejoiced to see his brother come home. His was not the loving response of his Father ... he, too, had further to grow. And yet, ... he too ... is a son.

I think that I should like to digress a bit here ... and discuss some of the implication of God modeling our saved relationship with Him ... as becoming a part of His family. Families are complex relationships ... which do not consist of everyone in the family always obeying the headship of the family ... or else leaving the family or being expelled. Families endure strains in relationship as a matter of course ... and yet, in the vast majority of cases, remain viable relating bodies. It is rare that you hear of anyone being absolutely cut off from their family. And if we can, generally, keep our families together, ... surely God can, Who is a better Father than any of us.

You totally ignored my points I made with actual words from Scripture.
First, what does Matthew 8:12 mean to you when it says that the children of the kingdom will be cast into outer darkness? Children are sons. But in your view, a son is always saved. These children or sons do not sound like they are saved in Matthew 8:12.

Second, what do you make of the words of the father saying that his son was “dead” when he was prodigal (i.e. living it up with prostitutes)? We know that the prodigal son was not physically dead. So this leads us to the conclusion that the son was spiritually dead instead. Especially when the father said his son was “alive AGAIN” when he came back home and sought forgiveness with the father. He became alive “AGAIN spiritually.” Plus, James 5:19-20 tells us a similar truth, as well.

“Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.” (James 5:19-20).

Meaning, if a fellow brother errs from the truth of God’s Word by sinning, and we as a faithful believer help them to confess of their sins to Jesus and convert them back to dedicating their life in following Jesus in living holy again, we would have helped to save a soul from death, and hide a multitude of their sins (while they were prodigal).

So how would you interpret James 5:19-20?
What do you think it says?

What do you think happened in the Garden with Adam and Eve?
God said Adam would die the day he ate of the wrong tree.
Did Adam drop dead immediately he ate of the fruit?
Adam did not have eternal life because that was what the other tree was all about (i.e. which was a representative picture of Jesus Christ). The serpent (the devil) told Eve that she would not die if she ate of the tree. So Satan is trying to get her to sin and think she would be saved.

This same lie is being pushed by the devil today.

Things really do not change all that much.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

(Also note here ... that Jesus calls those He is teaching here (believers, you say) ... "evil". I wonder why He would do that ...

I was referring to Matthew 5:28-30, and not the whole sermon. There are obviously teachings of Christ that only apply to the believer on the Sermon on the Mount. For do you not agree that an unbeliever can not look upon a woman in lust their whole life, but if they refuse to accept Jesus as their Savior they are condemned? So obviously Jesus is referring to one being a believer in Matthew 5:28-30. For Jesus is saying that a person can have their whole body cast into hellfire. But we know that if a person refrains from certain sins and yet they do not accept Jesus as their Savior, they will still end up being condemned in hell.

But we also have to understand that there are sayings by Jesus at the sermon on the mount that are spoken to the actual audience of people who needed to believe, too. The sermon on the Mount takes place in Matthew 5-7. At the beginning of Matthew 5, it says,

“And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,…” (Matthew 5:1-2).

So as we can see he was talking to the multitudes (crowds of people). Obviously crowds of people that Jesus was talking to were not all believers yet. This is why he referred to them as evil. They needed to come to the Lord and change their ways.

In Matthew 7:11 in the KJB, it says, “If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”

The word “ye” means “you-all” which obviously refers to the crowds or multitudes of people being spoken to (Who are unbelievers). For Jesus is trying to get unbelievers to believe. He is giving unbelievers in what way they are to conduct themselves after they come to Him in belief and follow Him. For the believer, Jesus is giving them the more perfect way to follow the Lord.

Jesus is speaking to an audience. There could be believers in the crowd and unbelievers. The way to test which words Jesus are being spoken to whom in Matthew 5-7, we have to compare Scripture with Scripture (i.e. the whole counsel of God’s Word). Does the Bible teach elsewhere that sin can separate the believer from God? Yes, it does. Are believers generally referred to as evil or good in the whole counsel of God’s Word? We have to look at the whole counsel and not just those isolated words we prefer to see from our own biased beliefs (Especially when those beliefs are selfish, and not selfless). For to defend the view that believers are evil is selfish in my view because one has something to gain (i.e. they can sin and still be saved, or they can have their cake and eat it, too).

You said:
These were not believers ... at this point in Jesus' ministry ... as Jesus had not yet proclaimed how one enters the kingdom of God (i.e. through faith in Him). These were hearers .. as Jesus explained and illustrated the nature of the kingdom of God. Starting with the beatitudes, Jesus proclaimed the will of God for His people. It was only later that knowledge of HOW to enter the kingdom was shared. For instance, it is in Matthew 16 that Jesus tells Peter that the Father has given him (Peter) the knowledge of Jesus' true identity.

The imparting of the truth about Jesus' salvific ministry was only fully accomplished as His followers experienced His death and resurrection.

Faith in Jesus which arose prior to His general gospel revelation ... is always marveled at by Jesus, ... and is almost always rewarded.

So the beatitudes are for unbelievers? I don’t think so. The beatitudes are words spoken to those who are believers. We have to test which words applied to whom by looking at the whole counsel of God’s Word. Sometimes Jesus referred to the unbelieving audience so that they could believe, and other times Jesus referred to those who already believed in the audience. We cannot assume that everyone person in the audience is an unbeliever. For Jesus’ teachings primarily at the Sermon on the Mount were for believers and not unbelievers. For Jesus’ whole goal of the sermon on the mount was for the believer. Jesus is not about getting unbelievers to conduct themselves in their unbelief. That would not make any sense. Salvation has always been the same. We are first saved by coming to Jesus and seeking forgiveness with Him and in trusting Him as our Savior. Jesus preached the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (although I believe most did not understand such a message yet - including His own disciples). So before Christ’s death, and resurrection, and before the clarity of the gospel message by the apostles, folks were saved by trusting in Jesus as the Messiah and in seeking forgiveness of their sins with Him (From the beginning point of His ministry).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So you don’t think anyone was saved during Christ’s earthly ministry prior to His death and resurrection?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 3:20 says,
“Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.”
Ezekiel is describing the First Covenant (i.e. of Law).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus made a point in how that everyone who does not do what He says is like a fool who built his house upon the sand and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house. So Jesus' point in Matthew 7:23 is that those who did wonderful works in his name did not make it because they also worked iniquity or sin.
So then ... how is it then that Peter (the denier) gets in ?

It can only be as a result of God's forgiveness, which is available to ALL of God's children ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the Judgment: Matthew 13:41-42 says that the Son of man (JESUS) will send forth his angels and they will gather out of HIS KINGDOM all things that offend and those who do iniquity (sin) and they will be cast into the furnace of fire (the Lake of Fire).
This is speaking of tares ... which are allowed to grow up along with and amid the wheat.

The language is similar to the parable of the tares and the wheat and Jesus' explanation to His disciples ...

Matthew 13

24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;

38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.

40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, what does Matthew 8:12 mean to you when it says that the children of the kingdom will be cast into outer darkness? Children are sons. But in your view, a son is always saved. These children or sons do not sound like they are saved in Matthew 8:12.
The passage speaks of those who resist coming to FAITH in Israel. The Israelites had the first shot at God's salvation ... but many of them missed the boat ... because of a lack of FAITH ...

Matthew 8

10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Second, what do you make of the words of the father saying that his son was “dead” when he was prodigal (i.e. living it up with prostitutes)? We know that the prodigal son was not physically dead.
Certainly the son was DEAD to the Father ... as the relationship became inactive.

Whatever the case, ... the son came back, so his sin did not ultimately disqualify him ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how would you interpret James 5:19-20?
What do you think it says?
James 5

19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

James 5:19-20 speaks of erring from the truth. This refers to a defect of FAITH, not of obedience...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to Matthew 5:28-30, and not the whole sermon. There are obviously teachings of Christ that only apply to the believer on the Sermon on the Mount. For do you not agree that an unbeliever can not look upon a woman in lust their whole life, but if they refuse to accept Jesus as their Savior they are condemned? So obviously Jesus is referring to one being a believer in Matthew 5:28-30.
I do not understand your reasoning here. Why is this not applicable to unbelievers ?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you don’t think anyone was saved during Christ’s earthly ministry prior to His death and resurrection?
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

But, clearly, the majority in His audiences for the sermon on the mount were unbelievers. Hearers perhaps, but unbelievers.

Recall what happened in John 6, when the majority of hearers left from hearing ... because they couldn't accept His teaching ...

John 6

60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So ... what of Peter, who denied Him ?

Matthew 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

It is obvious that relationship with God is not based upon perfect obedience (that's Law), ... but upon forgiveness of disobedience (that's Grace).

Matthew 10:33 is written to the individual who does not seek forgiveness over their sin in denying the Lord in a moment of weakness and not as a way of life until their death. Matthew 10:33 is a truth that still applies today. But it applies to the believer who chooses to later in life deny the Lord because he is embarrassed and or ashamed in standing up for the things of God. We see in the parable of the Sower that the seed that was ashamed in being persecuted did not make it. That seed was not fruitful and it was ruined. The seed died, and thus their eternal life was lost. They were initially saved by accepting the gospel, but they did not continue with God. That was their choice.

You said:
This is the way of the second covenant. John 1: 17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

John 1:17 is given to us as a truth by John in accordance with the record of Jesus’ beginning and ministry. Jesus was giving truth and or teachings that applied when He gave them during His earthly ministry. So Matthew 10:33 applied the moment He gave it, and it applies today. For even the apostle Paul said that if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). So the words of Jesus have not changed. There is no indication given by Jesus or His followers that His words during His earthly ministry (prior to His death and resurrection) do not apply anymore. In fact, it would not make any sense for Jesus to give us new teachings just so that they all could be quickly undone after the cross. For even Jesus said in John 12:48 that he who does not receive His words, those words will judge them on the last day. Was this only the words of Jesus to the person prior to the cross? If so, then why would we have such words when they are useless to us? It doesn’t make any sense.

You said:
Hebrews 8

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

The New Covenant officially began with Jesus dying upon the cross. But this does not mean Jesus’ teachings prior to His death did not apply (except for things like the animal sacrifices, circumcision, and the Sabbath, OT rituals, etc.). Jesus primarily taught New Covenant and not Old Covenant. So unless you have concrete proof in Scripture that our Lord’s teachings prior to the cross have ended, you are making wrong assumptions that could be detrimental to you and others (if you are wrong).

As for Hebrews 8:10-12: Well, while Hebrews 8 as a whole is focusing on the current new change of the New Covenant as it exists (even today), verses 10-12 is in reference to the Lord Jesus making a New Covenant with the Jewish nation when after Jesus returns. For in the Millennium is only the time when a person can truly say that they will not have to say to their neighbor to know the Lord because everyone in the Millennium will know the Lord. Today, that is not the case. Most people on the planet today do not know the Lord. This is because they have not accepted Jesus as their Savior, and they are not seeking to obey Jesus and truly follow what His Word says.

You said:
Yes ... after God (the Father) sent Nathan to David (His son). God accomplished Nathan's repentance, as He did with the Prodigal ...

You mean David’s repentance. So was king David saved while he committed his sins of adultery and murder?

You said:
Yes ... one can assume that happened (it is not recorded) ... AFTER Jesus sent word for Peter (specifically) to meet Him in Jerusalem. In a quiet time with Peter afterwards, Jesus leads Peter to reaffirm his devotion to Him ("Simon son of John, do you love Me?").

If one does not have fellowship with God, they are not saved. So when Peter fell out of fellowship with the Lord, he fell into spiritual death, and he needed to be restored back to God’s salvation again. When Peter was restored is a bit of a mystery. Generally a believer is restored back to salvation when they confess of their sins in most cases (Which lines up with many verses in Scripture).

My guess is that you believe confessing sin is only to re-establish the relationship with God and it is not a regaining of salvation again. In my understanding on Scripture: Forgiveness of sin is to be saved. For me: Your belief is too much of a gamble that plays it too close to the edge. It does not line up with all the warnings in Scripture on how sin can destroy our souls. But if you like living on the edge and being more risky in such cases, you are free to believe as you wish of course.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not understand your reasoning here. Why is this not applicable to unbelievers ?

Because an unbeliever is already lost and they have no chance of entering God’s Kingdom without first accepting the Lord as their Savior. Matthew 5:28-30 talks about how they can enter the kingdom maimed. No unbeliever can enter the kingdom… period. Only a believer can enter the Kingdom. So this is why Matthew 5:28-30 is exclusively for the believer. For like I said, if an unbeliever were to not look at a woman their whole life (say they are blind or say they do not even know about sex or sexual lust), they would still be condemned to hell if they rejected Jesus as their Savior.

Upvote 0