✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
It's only clear to you because of your pre-conceived biases.
I get that interpretation when I just read it without any pre-conceived ideas at all.
Everyone comes to every verse with an opinion and pre-formed idea of things.

You would have to do mental gymnastics to end up with a different interpretation. When it says "if they shall fall away..." the context reveals what they fall away from. It's really simple.
4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,
5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age
6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

The text does NOT specify what the people have fallen away from. So when you say "context reveals what they fall away from", you are speaking from your own pre-conceived ideas.

And those who think it means to fall away from salvation, they are simply ignoring or outright rejecting the very clear verses that make loss of salvation impossible.

One MUST compare Scripture with Scripture. Then, if one verse/passage in PLAIN STRAIGHTFORWARD LANGUAGE contradicts the other, then one MUST re-interpret the other verse.

And, Jesus taught in John 5:24 that those believing HAVE (present tense possession) eternal life. Not a promise, but the ACTUAL gift itself.

Then, Jesus taught in John 10:28 that recipients of eternal life (believers - John 5:24) shall never perish.

That is CLEAR language teaching that those given eternal life, which is when they believe, shall never perish.

So, any verse viewed as teaching that salvation can be lost is being viewed WRONGLY.

Also it perfectly fits to the context of the beginning of the passage where it says not to lay the foundation of repentance from dead works again. Which means the foundation of salvation.
In fact, the writer was noting "basic doctrines" and encouraging his readers to advance from the basics to the deeper doctrines.

Well, Hebrews 6 proves that you indeed can use those descriptions for unbelievers.
I thought it was obvious that believers can act just like unbelievers. So that's no argument.

That's what it's clearly saying if you just read it with an open mind.
I would implore you to read John 5:24 and John 10:28 with an open mind.

Jesus taught eternal security in the CLEAREST of words.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FreeGrace2 said:
It's only clear to you because of your pre-conceived biases.

Everyone comes to every verse with an opinion and pre-formed idea of things.

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,
5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age
6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

The text does NOT specify what the people have fallen away from. So when you say "context reveals what they fall away from", you are speaking from your own pre-conceived ideas.

And those who think it means to fall away from salvation, they are simply ignoring or outright rejecting the very clear verses that make loss of salvation impossible.

One MUST compare Scripture with Scripture. Then, if one verse/passage in PLAIN STRAIGHTFORWARD LANGUAGE contradicts the other, then one MUST re-interpret the other verse.

And, Jesus taught in John 5:24 that those believing HAVE (present tense possession) eternal life. Not a promise, but the ACTUAL gift itself.

Then, Jesus taught in John 10:28 that recipients of eternal life (believers - John 5:24) shall never perish.

That is CLEAR language teaching that those given eternal life, which is when they believe, shall never perish.

So, any verse viewed as teaching that salvation can be lost is being viewed WRONGLY.

In fact, the writer was noting "basic doctrines" and encouraging his readers to advance from the basics to the deeper doctrines.

I thought it was obvious that believers can act just like unbelievers. So that's no argument.

I would implore you to read John 5:24 and John 10:28 with an open mind.

Jesus taught eternal security in the CLEAREST of words.
Have you not paid attention at all to what I wrote? I'm not trying to argue that you could lose your salvation. My point is that Hebrews 6 is talking about people who are NOT saved. I'm seriously having trouble trying to understand how you could even interpret that passage differently (not kidding)

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you not paid attention at all to what I wrote? I'm not trying to argue that you could lose your salvation.
My point is that Hebrews 6 is talking about people who are NOT saved.
OK, that's the second way people misunderstand the text

I'm seriously having trouble trying to understand how you could even interpret that passage differently (not kidding)
Because it is addressing believers, some of whom had already or were contemplating returning to the Law and sacrifice.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Have you not paid attention at all to what I wrote? I'm not trying to argue that you could lose your salvation. My point is that Hebrews 6 is talking about people who are NOT saved. I'm seriously having trouble trying to understand how you could even interpret that passage differently (not kidding)
That is not true. Hebrews is not addressing people who don't know the Lord.

Hebrews is written to a Jewish audience. who are backsliding from that faith in Jesus. To a former position of trusting in the Lord to the law for salvation.

Hebrews 6:6
Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works...

The Hebrews are not repenting of their dead, legal works.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can you point out WHERE in John 5:24 Jesus mentioning anything about hoping for eternal life in the future? No, you can't. So your statement is antibfiblical.
Different text scripture and subject matter. Not relevant to having God's promise of eternal life the the very moment we believe and receiving the fulfillment of Gods promise of eternal life at the second coming.

As shown through the scriptures, John 5:24 says [24], Truly, truly, I say to you, He that hears my word, and believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death to life. Now go look up the believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) it is a verb that is present participle active and means present tense active to "believing" so the scripture says "he that hears my words and is believing on him that sent me has everlasting life.

If some one has departed the faith they are no longer believing but are unbelieving and the scripture is fulfilled in John 3:36 which uses the same Greek word application as John 5:24. It is written in John 3:36 [36], He that believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God stays on him. If some one has departed the faith they are no longer believing but are unbelieving and the scripture is fulfilled in John 3:36 which uses the same Greek word application as John 5:24. John 3:36 [36], He that believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not (G4100 πιστεύων = believing not) the Son shall not see life but the wrath of God stays on him.

God's promise therefore is conditional to us believing and following what God's Word says to the very end of our lives or the second coming when Christ returns. Therefore not believing no eternal life. Someone who chooses to depart the faith as shown earlier (Hebrews 10:26-31) through the scriptures is not longer believing but is unbelieving. As posted earlier and proven through the scriptures in post # 470 linked, we have the hope of eternal life from Gods' Word when we are believing (always present tense active to now). No one receives the fulfillment of eternal life until we have been tried and remain faithful unto the end continuing in believing and following what Gods' Word says.

TITUS 1:1-2 [1], Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of THE TRUTH WHICH IS AFTER GODLINESS; [2], IN HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFE, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began

TITUS 3:7 [7], That being justified by his grace, WE SHOULD BE MADE HEIRS ACCORDING TO THE HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFE.

COLOSSIANS 1:23 [23], IF YOU CONTINUE IN THE FAITH grounded and settled, AND BE NOT MOVED AWAY FROM THE HOPE OF THE GOSPEL, which you have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister

HEBREWS 3:6 [6], But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, IF WE HOLD FAST THE CONFIDENCE AND THE REJOICING OF THE HOPE FIRM TO THE END.
Jesus was clear; those believing HAVE (possesses right NOW!) eternal life. It is a present possession, as the present tense makes clear. When eternal life is mentioned as a future promise, it is ALWAYS referring to eternity itself. But the free gift of eternal life (Rom 6:23) is a PRESENT REALITY. How sad. The Bible is very clear about how to receive eternal life. John 5:24 is just one of many verses that directly link believing or faith in Christ as the sole condition. What you are doing is adding to God's Word. Including one's own works corrupts the gospel of grace. btw, the Greek word translated "hope" means "a confident expectation", which is nothing like how it is used today, which is more of a wishful thinking than a solid FAITH.
If that were true no Christian would ever see death now! Is that true?

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 6 is indeed talking about people that were saved...

Let's look at what the scriptures say...

HEBREWS 6:4-8 [4], For it is impossible for those (1) WHO WERE ONCE ENLIGHTENED, and (2) HAVE TASTED THE HEAVENLY GIFT, and (3) WERE MADE PARTAKERS OF THE HOLY GHOST, [5], And have (4) TASTED THE GOOD WORD OF GOD, and (5) THE POWERS OF THE WORLD TO COME, [6], (6) IF THEY (believers) (7) SHALL FALL AWAY, TO RENEW THEMSELVES AGAIN TO REPENTANCE; SEEING THEY CRUCIFY THEMSELVES THE SUN OF GOD AFRESH AND PUT HIM TO OPEN SHAME. [7], For the earth which drinks in the rain that comes oft on it, and brings forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receives blessing from God: [8], But that which bears thorns and briers is rejected, and is near to cursing; (8) WHO'S END IS TO BE BURNED.

The following are taken from the highlighted red numbers above from scripture...
  1. They were once enlightened; HEBREWS 6:4
  2. Having tasted of the Heavenly gift; HEBREWS 6:4
  3. They were made partakers of the Holy Ghost; HEBREWS 6:4
  4. Having tasted of the good Word of God; HEBREWS 6:5
  5. Having tasted of the power of the world to come HEBREWS 6:5
  6. THEY (BELIEVERS) FALL AWAY; HEBREWS 6:6
  7. THEY (BELIEVERS) fall away and renew themselves to repentance; HEBREWS 6:6
  8. THEY (BELIEVERS) by their sins crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame; HEBREWS 6:6

Hebrews 4:6-8 as shown above is talking about believers who were once enlightened who received Gods' Spirit and have tasted of the heavenly gift and the powers of the world to come that had fallen away back into unrepentant sins whose end is to receive Gods' judgements (to be burned). Everything taken above is exegesis taken out of the scriptures verbatim. The same can be done for Hebrews 10:26-39. God's salvation of course is conditional on believing and following what Gods' Word says (present tense). Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-31 therefore are warnings to believers (not unbelievers) not to depart the faith in unbelief and sin or they will lose eternal life.

Take Care

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 6 is indeed talking about people that were saved...

Let's look at what the scriptures say...

HEBREWS 6:4-8 [4], For it is impossible for those (1) WHO WERE ONCE ENLIGHTENED, and (2) HAVE TASTED THE HEAVENLY GIFT, and (3) WERE MADE PARTAKERS OF THE HOLY GHOST, [5], And have (4) TASTED THE GOOD WORD OF GOD, and (5) THE POWERS OF THE WORLD TO COME, [6], (6) IF THEY (believers) (7) SHALL FALL AWAY, TO RENEW THEMSELVES AGAIN TO REPENTANCE; SEEING THEY CRUCIFY THEMSELVES THE SUN OF GOD AFRESH AND PUT HIM TO OPEN SHAME. [7], For the earth which drinks in the rain that comes oft on it, and brings forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receives blessing from God: [8], But that which bears thorns and briers is rejected, and is near to cursing; (8) WHO'S END IS TO BE BURNED.

The following are taken from the highlighted red numbers above from scripture...
  1. They were once enlightened; HEBREWS 6:4
  2. Having tasted of the Heavenly gift; HEBREWS 6:4
  3. They were made partakers of the Holy Ghost; HEBREWS 6:4
  8. THEY (BELIEVERS) by their sins crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame; HEBREWS 6:6

Hebrews 4:6-8 as shown above is talking about believers who were once enlightened who received Gods' Spirit and have tasted of the heavenly gift and the powers of the world to come that had fallen away back into unrepentant sins whose end is to receive Gods' judgements (to be burned). Everything taken above is exegesis taken out of the scriptures verbatim. The same can be done for Hebrews 10:26-39. God's salvation of course is conditional on believing and following what Gods' Word says (present tense). Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-31 therefore are warnings to believers (not unbelievers) not to depart the faith in unbelief and sin or they will lose eternal life.

Take Care
The verse you quoted does not say that they fell back into unrepentant sin, That was not the reason they fell from grace.

Here is what you said.

Hebrews 4:6-8 (??) as shown above is talking about believers who were once enlightened who received Gods' Spirit and have tasted of the heavenly gift and the powers of the world to come that had fallen away back into unrepentant sins whose end is to receive Gods' judgements (to be burned).

Here is what the text actually states.

Hebrews 6:4-6
For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

The repentance is the turning to Jesus in this paragraph, not unrepentant sin.

They are falling away from Jesus!

That is what the letter to the Hebrews is all about, JESUS.

'they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame'

That is why they have fallen away, they no longer trust in Jesus.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Chapter six of the letter to the Hebrews is directed at HEBREWS. The letter is a stern warning against backsliding in to the works of the law. Against forgetting about Jesus.

The HEBREWS are saved as long as they trust in Jesus.

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The verse you quoted does not say that they fell back into unrepentant sin, That was not the reason they fell from grace.

That is not true but allow me to show why from the scriptures. Only those who have been born again in the Spirit to believe and follow Gods' Word receive Gods' Spirit (Romans 8:1-4; Galatians 5:16; Romans 3:31; John 3:3-7; 1 John 3:4-10; see Acts of the Apostles 5:32)

No one who is born again in the Spirit knowingly practicing known unrepentant sin as shown in the scriptures...

1 John 3:6-9 [6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him. [7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. [8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. [9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

As shown in the scriptures already...

Note:
  1. THEY (BELIEVERS) were once enlightened; HEBREWS 6:4
  2. Tasted of the Heavenly gift; HEBREWS 6:4
  3. THEY (BELIEVERS) were made partakers of the Holy Ghost; HEBREWS 6:4
They renewing themselves to repentance means they were practicing sin.

Acts of the Apostles 3:19 Repent you therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

I will let the scriptures do the talking. There is no need to try and explain them away. Your trying to make the scriptures about the Jews and no one else what Gods' Word says all scripture is written for our admonition and All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Take Care.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Chapter six of the letter to the Hebrews is directed at HEBREWS. The letter is a stern warning against backsliding in to the works of the law. Against forgetting about Jesus.

The HEBREWS are saved as long as they trust in Jesus.

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away

Perhaps it might help if you consider the scripture context...

Hebrews 6:1-3 [1], Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us [BELIEVERS] go on to perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, [2], Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. [3], And this will we do, if God permit.....

Context is to BELIEVERS not unbelievers and it is to BELIEVERS we receive the warning...

*see post 486 or post # 489 linked

Take Care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
Can you point out WHERE in John 5:24 Jesus mentioning anything about hoping for eternal life in the future? No, you can't. So your statement is antibiblical.
Different text scripture and subject matter. Not relevant to having God's promise of eternal life the the very moment we believe
John 5:24 is ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT to the FACT that eternal life is POSSESSED WHEN a person believes. "believing" is a present tense. "has" is also a present tense. Since there are NO verses in the Bible that tell us that reception of eternal life is any specific time following believing, we KNOW that the possession is immediately WHEN a person believes.

Jesus said those who believe HAVE eternal life. So, the MOMENT one believes, they ARE a believer. And Jesus said those who believe HAVE eternal life.

You can deny the fact but it is extremely clear and easy to understand.

As shown through the scriptures, John 5:24 says [24], Truly, truly, I say to you, He that hears my word, and believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on him that sent me, has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death to life. Now go look up the believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) it is a verb that is present participle active and means present tense active to "believing" so the scripture says "he that hears my words and is believing on him that sent me has everlasting life.
Exactly what I've been saying. Those who are believing HAVE eternal life.

If some one has departed the faith they are no longer believing but are unbelieving and the scripture is fulfilled in John 3:36 which uses the same Greek word application as John 5:24.
Your "analysis" is extremely flawed. To use John 3:36 as the "antidote" to John 5:24 is a huge mistake. Why? Because in John 10:28 Jesus made the very clear point that those He gives eternal life (when? the MOMENT one believes - John 5:24) SHALL NEVER PERISH.

What you seem to want to ignore is that John 10:28 nails eternal security because Jesus tells us WHEN one possesses eternal life, and John 10:28 tells us that those GIVEN eternal life shall never perish.

Let me repeat; those GIVEN eternal life shall never perish.

So your theory about someone who no longer believes no longer has eternal life is bogus, because Jesus based eternal security (shall never perish) on the reception of eternal life, NOT the continuing believing.

But, as the Bible says, one must have eyes that see and ears that hear to understand this.

It is written in John 3:36 [36], He that believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God stays on him. If some one has departed the faith they are no longer believing
Your error is compounded by the fallacy that this verse applies to those who cease to believe. And that is impossible given what Jesus said in John 10:28. Eternal security is based on the reception of eternal life.

To further prove your error and refute your claims, I give you 2 verses:

John 3:18 - Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

2 Thess 2:12 - and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

I have highlighted the 3 SAME WORDS in each verse.

To "have not believed" means "to NEVER HAVE believed". So your error is revealed in there 2 verses. When the Bible speaks of those who don't believe, it is referring to those who "have not believed".

If you have eaten a rutabaga only once in your life, it means you HAVE eaten a rutabaga.

Can it be said that you have not eaten a rutabaga? No, because you have eaten one.

The same is true of believing. If a person believed in Christ for salvation at age 20 but at age 30 or whatever, ceased to believe because of life struggles, etc, it cannot be said of that person that they "have not believed", because they DID believe at one time.

I hope this clears up your error so you can cease to err.

God's promise therefore is conditional to us believing and following what God's Word says to the very end of our lives or the second coming when Christ returns.
You keep repeating this seeminly mantra without any real definition.

further, there is NO mention of "promise" in either John 5:24 or John 10:28. Jesus said those who are believing HAVE eternal life. Not a promise for later, based on further conditions to fulfill, as YOU keep claiming.

And Jesus said those He GIVES eternal life shall never perish.

iow, ONCE the gift is given, the recipient shall never perish.

And you can't refute this FACT. You can only deny it or reject it. But it is the truth regardless.

Therefore not believing no eternal life.
That's absolutely true. And that refers ONLY to those who "have not believed". Not those who used to believe, as you would like it to mean.

Jn 3:18 and 2 Thess 2:12 refute your theories. Condemnation is for those who "have not believed", meaning those who NEVER HAVE believed.

It seems you are unable to discern this difference.

Someone who chooses to depart the faith as shown earlier (Hebrews 10:26-31) through the scriptures is not longer believing but is unbelieving.
Such a person was sealed with the Holy Spirit WHEN they believed. Eph 1:13. The result is that the indwelling Holy Spirit is a GUARANTEE of our inheritance for the day of redemption.

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritanc
e until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

All these verses that I am sharing with you GUARANTEE salvation. So ALL your verses that you keep quoting or citing CANNOT mean what you think. And NONE of them plainly say that salvation can be lost.

As posted earlier and proven through the scriptures in post # 470 linked, we have the hope of eternal life from Gods' Word
I just proved (again) from John 5:24 that WHEN one believes they POSSESS eternal life.

Why do you keep mudding the water by adding "promise"? When eternal life is presented as a future hope, it ALWAYS refers to eternity itself.

However, Jesus was very clear in His words. WHEN one believes they POSSESS eternal life. That is exactly what Johb 5:24 teaches. And recipients of eternal life (when they believe) shall never perish. That is what John 10:28 teaches.

If that were true no one would die now.
This demonstrates that you do not understand that physical life isn't in view for those possessing eternal life. It means they will live with God when they physically die.

The Bible says "it is appointed for man to die once, and then the judgment". Heb 9:27.

So, everyone will die physically. It is only those who POSSESS the gift of eternal life that shall never perish. This isn't about physical life never perishing. It's about eternal life that CAN'T perish.

Do you understand that your view means that eternal life CAN perish??

Also, please explain how imperishable seed can perish.

1 Pet 1:23 - For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

You see, everyone is born of perishable seed. That is why Heb 9:27 can say "it is appointed once for man to die (physically)".

So, those who have been born again (regenerated) CANNOT perish, because they have been born of IMPERISHABLE seed.

All these verses clearly teach eternal security. The verses are clear and easy to read and understand.

But you will have to leave your false teaching before you will be able to understand this.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is not true but allow me to show why from the scriptures. Only those who have been born again in the Spirit to believe and follow Gods' Word receive Gods' Spirit (Romans 8:1-4; Galatians 5:16; Romans 3:31; John 3:3-7; 1 John 3:4-10; see Acts of the Apostles 5:32)

No one who is born again in the Spirit knowingly practicing known unrepentant sin as shown in the scriptures...

1 John 3:6-9 [6], Whoever stays in him sins not: whoever sins has not seen him, neither known him. [7], Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. [8], He that commits sin is of the devil; for the devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. [9], Whoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

As shown in the scriptures already...

Note:
  1. THEY (BELIEVERS) were once enlightened; HEBREWS 6:4
  2. Tasted of the Heavenly gift; HEBREWS 6:4
  3. THEY (BELIEVERS) were made partakers of the Holy Ghost; HEBREWS 6:4

Acts of the Apostles 3:19 Repent you therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

I will let the scriptures do the talking. There is no need to try and explain them away. Your trying to make the scriptures about the Jews and no one else what Gods' Word says all scripture is written for our admonition and All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Take Care.
Here is what you wrote. The red highlighted words, are your addition to the text so that it says what you want it to say.
  1. THEY (BELIEVERS) FALL AWAY; HEBREWS 6:6
  2. THEY (BELIEVERS) fall away and renew themselves to repentance; HEBREWS 6:6
  3. THEY (BELIEVERS) by their sins crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame; HEBREWS 6:6

Here is the actual text.

And then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Here is what you said.

"THEY (BELIEVERS) by their sins"

The text (Hebrews 6:6) does not say "by their sins", that is your addition to the text.

That is how you are taught to read Hebrews 6:6

Add words, here and there, into the text so that it says something different.

Then LGW, you say this; "I will let the scriptures do the talking."

You do not let the scripture do the talking, you change the scripture so it says, what you want it to say.

I just proved you change the text.

Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
FreeGrace2 said:
Can you point out WHERE in John 5:24 Jesus mentioning anything about hoping for eternal life in the future? No, you can't. So your statement is antibiblical.

John 5:24 is ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT to the FACT that eternal life is POSSESSED WHEN a person believes. "believing" is a present tense. "has" is also a present tense. Since there are NO verses in the Bible that tell us that reception of eternal life is any specific time following believing, we KNOW that the possession is immediately WHEN a person believes.

Jesus said those who believe HAVE eternal life. So, the MOMENT one believes, they ARE a believer. And Jesus said those who believe HAVE eternal life.

You can deny the fact but it is extremely clear and easy to understand.

Exactly what I've been saying. Those who are believing HAVE eternal life.

Your "analysis" is extremely flawed. To use John 3:36 as the "antidote" to John 5:24 is a huge mistake. Why? Because in John 10:28 Jesus made the very clear point that those He gives eternal life (when? the MOMENT one believes - John 5:24) SHALL NEVER PERISH.

What you seem to want to ignore is that John 10:28 nails eternal security because Jesus tells us WHEN one possesses eternal life, and John 10:28 tells us that those GIVEN eternal life shall never perish.

Let me repeat; those GIVEN eternal life shall never perish.

So your theory about someone who no longer believes no longer has eternal life is bogus, because Jesus based eternal security (shall never perish) on the reception of eternal life, NOT the continuing believing.

But, as the Bible says, one must have eyes that see and ears that hear to understand this.

Your error is compounded by the fallacy that this verse applies to those who cease to believe. And that is impossible given what Jesus said in John 10:28. Eternal security is based on the reception of eternal life.

To further prove your error and refute your claims, I give you 2 verses:

John 3:18 - Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

2 Thess 2:12 - and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

I have highlighted the 3 SAME WORDS in each verse.

To "have not believed" means "to NEVER HAVE believed". So your error is revealed in there 2 verses. When the Bible speaks of those who don't believe, it is referring to those who "have not believed".

If you have eaten a rutabaga only once in your life, it means you HAVE eaten a rutabaga.

Can it be said that you have not eaten a rutabaga? No, because you have eaten one.

The same is true of believing. If a person believed in Christ for salvation at age 20 but at age 30 or whatever, ceased to believe because of life struggles, etc, it cannot be said of that person that they "have not believed", because they DID believe at one time.

I hope this clears up your error so you can cease to err.

You keep repeating this seeminly mantra without any real definition.

further, there is NO mention of "promise" in either John 5:24 or John 10:28. Jesus said those who are believing HAVE eternal life. Not a promise for later, based on further conditions to fulfill, as YOU keep claiming.

And Jesus said those He GIVES eternal life shall never perish.

iow, ONCE the gift is given, the recipient shall never perish.

And you can't refute this FACT. You can only deny it or reject it. But it is the truth regardless.

That's absolutely true. And that refers ONLY to those who "have not believed". Not those who used to believe, as you would like it to mean.

Jn 3:18 and 2 Thess 2:12 refute your theories. Condemnation is for those who "have not believed", meaning those who NEVER HAVE believed.

It seems you are unable to discern this difference.

Such a person was sealed with the Holy Spirit WHEN they believed. Eph 1:13. The result is that the indwelling Holy Spirit is a GUARANTEE of our inheritance for the day of redemption.

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritanc
e until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

All these verses that I am sharing with you GUARANTEE salvation. So ALL your verses that you keep quoting or citing CANNOT mean what you think. And NONE of them plainly say that salvation can be lost.

I just proved (again) from John 5:24 that WHEN one believes they POSSESS eternal life.

Why do you keep mudding the water by adding "promise"? When eternal life is presented as a future hope, it ALWAYS refers to eternity itself.

However, Jesus was very clear in His words. WHEN one believes they POSSESS eternal life. That is exactly what Johb 5:24 teaches. And recipients of eternal life (when they believe) shall never perish. That is what John 10:28 teaches.

This demonstrates that you do not understand that physical life isn't in view for those possessing eternal life. It means they will live with God when they physically die.

The Bible says "it is appointed for man to die once, and then the judgment". Heb 9:27.

So, everyone will die physically. It is only those who POSSESS the gift of eternal life that shall never perish. This isn't about physical life never perishing. It's about eternal life that CAN'T perish.

Do you understand that your view means that eternal life CAN perish??

Also, please explain how imperishable seed can perish.

1 Pet 1:23 - For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

You see, everyone is born of perishable seed. That is why Heb 9:27 can say "it is appointed once for man to die (physically)".

So, those who have been born again (regenerated) CANNOT perish, because they have been born of IMPERISHABLE seed.

All these verses clearly teach eternal security. The verses are clear and easy to read and understand.

But you will have to leave your false teaching before you will be able to understand this.

Sorry dear friend I respectfully disagree. Your post here does not address anything in the post you were responding to. As posted and shown through the scriptures, we have the promise of eternal life today the moment we believe Gods' Word (believing). Therefore we receive the hope of eternal life today through Gods promise in John 5:24 by "believing and following Gods' Word" and the fulfillment of Gods' promise of eternal life when our time on earth is over or at the second coming (scripture support here).

God's salvation according to the scriptures is therefore "conditional" linked on believing and following what Gods' Word says to the end. If we are no longer "believing" then we have departed the faith and eternal life that we receive which is conditional to "believing and following" Gods' Word to the end. Sorry dear friend but as shown through the scriptures shared with you already, and also demonstrated in Hebrews 6:4-8 and Hebrews 10:26-31 I believe your teachings are not biblical so we might have to agree to disagree here. If no one could depart the faith (stop believing) we would not be warned against it.

If someone has departed the faith they are no longer believing but have become unbelieving and the scripture is fulfilled in John 3:36 which uses the same Greek word application as John 5:24. It is written in John 3:36 [36], He that believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God stays on him. If some one has departed the faith they are no longer believing but are unbelieving and the scripture is fulfilled in John 3:36 which uses the same Greek word application as John 5:24. John 3:36 [36], He that believes (G4100 πιστεύων V-PPA-NMS = believing) on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not (G4100 πιστεύων = believing not) the Son shall not see life but the wrath of God stays on him.

Every scripture you have provided are to Gods' people that are "believing" not those who once believed yesterday, "departed the faith" today to become "unbelievers". Those who shall "NEVER PERISH" according to the scriptures, therefore are all those who continue "believing" to the very end. They are "believers" (present tense), not unbelievers or someone that believed yesterday but has chosen to "depart the faith" and no longer believes today (Hebrews 6:4-8; Hebrews 10:27-31).

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here is what you wrote. The red highlighted words, are your addition to the text so that it says what you want it to say.
  1. THEY (BELIEVERS) FALL AWAY; HEBREWS 6:6
  2. THEY (BELIEVERS) fall away and renew themselves to repentance; HEBREWS 6:6
  3. THEY (BELIEVERS) by their sins crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame; HEBREWS 6:6

Here is the actual text.

And then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

Here is what you said.

"THEY (BELIEVERS) by their sins"

The text (Hebrews 6:6) does not say "by their sins", that is your addition to the text.

That is how you are taught to read Hebrews 6:6

Add words, here and there, into the text so that it says something different.

Then LGW, you say this; "I will let the scriptures do the talking."

You do not let the scripture do the talking, you change the scripture so it says, what you want it to say.

I just proved you change the text.

Sorry dear friend but I respectfully disagree, but let me show why from the scriptures.

According to the scriptures repentance is to be sorry for and turn away from sin (see Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19). It is sin that must be repented of. Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods' 10 commandments and not believing and following what Gods' Word says (1 John 3:4; Romans 14:23).

"Departing the faith" means we return to unbelief and sin (Hebrews 10:25-31). Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods' law and not believing and following what Gods' Word says (1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11; Romans 14:23). Departing the faith means that we no longer believe Gods' Word and the scripture is fulfilled whatsoever is not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23).

Hebrews 6:6, If they shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Jesus was crucified for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3). We repent from our sins (Acts of the Apostles 2:38; Acts of the Apostles 3:19) by accepting the death of Jesus who pays the penalty for our sins (death; Romans 6:23).

Repentance is a condition of receiving God's forgiveness through the death of Gods' dear son...

Acts of the Apostles 2:38, Then Peter said to them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts of the Apostles 3:19, Repent you therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Therefore when the scripture says....

Hebrews 6:6, If they (believers) shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

It is talking about believers that return to a life of unbelief and sin (departing the faith) because "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23). Departing the faith into unbelief (not believing and following what God's Word says) is sin.

Take care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry dear friend but I respectfully disagree, but let me show why from the scriptures.

According to the scriptures repentance is to be sorry for and turn away from sin (see Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19). It is sin that must be repented of. Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking anyone of Gods' 10 commandments and not believing and following what Gods' Word says (1 John 3:4; Romans 14:23).

"Departing the faith" means we return to unbelief and sin (Hebrews 10:25-31). Sin is defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods' law and not believing and following what Gods' Word says (1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11; Romans 14:23). Departing the faith means that we no longer believe Gods' Word and the scripture is fulfilled whatsoever is not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23).

Hebrews 6:6, If they shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Jesus was crucified for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3). We repent from our sins (Acts of the Apostles 2:38; Acts of the Apostles 3:19) by accepting the death of Jesus who pays the penalty for our sins (death; Romans 6:23).

Repentance is a condition of receiving God's forgiveness through the death of Gods' dear son...

Acts of the Apostles 2:38, Then Peter said to them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts of the Apostles 3:19, Repent you therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Therefore when the scripture says....

Hebrews 6:6, If they (believers) shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

It is talking about believers that return to a life of unbelief and sin (departing the faith) because "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23). Departing the faith into unbelief (not believing and following what God's Word says) is sin.

Take care.
Here we go again.

This is what you said.

According to the scriptures repentance is to be sorry for and turn away from sin (see Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19).

Let's check whether those two verses support your claim.

Your claim, "repentance is to be sorry for and turn away from sin".

Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No mention of being sorry for sin. The verse is actually saying to repent of that unbelief in Jesus.

What about the other verse you quoted.

Acts 3:19
Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.

Yet again, no mention of being sorry for sin and turning away from sin.

Both verses say the exact opposite of what you said.

for the forgiveness of your sins

so that your sins may be wiped away

You are blind to what these verses are really saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here we go again.

This is what you said.

According to the scriptures repentance is to be sorry for and turn away from sin (see Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19).

Let's check whether those two verses support your claim.

Your claim, "repentance is to be sorry for and turn away from sin".

Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No mention of being sorry for sin. The verse is actually saying to repent of that unbelief in Jesus.

What about the other verse you quoted.

Acts 3:19
Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.

Yet again, no mention of being sorry for sin and turning away from sin.
Both verses say the exact opposite of what you said.

for the forgiveness of your sins

so that your sins may be wiped away

You are blind to what these verses are really saying.

Nope not at all, but let me show why if it might be helpful to you as your making arguments no one is arguing about. As shown from the scriptures, the first time "repentance" and application of "repentance" in Hebrews 6:6 was in application to sin caused by "departing the faith" which is sin because it is written "whatsoever is not of faith is sin" (Romans 14:23). So your argument earlier that departing the faith is not sin is not biblical.

In your post here your seeking to make arguments no one is arguing about but let me show why if it might be helpful to the conversation. The scriptures provided to you in Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19 were not provided to show that "repentance" or to "repent" means turning away from sin (that is the word meaning of repent). They were provided to show that sin is what we are to repent from, because, you were mistakenly trying to argue that repentance has nothing to do with sin as shown in Hebrews 6:6. Of course this is not true because as shown in the post you were quoting from when someone "departs the faith" they are no longer "believing" but have become "unbelieving". Therefore we know the scriptures teach "whatsoever is not of faith (unbelieving) is sin (Romans 14:23).

In the above section of your post I have not said anywhere that the scriptures in Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19 says "repentance" is to change your mind from sin. Those scriptures where provided to show that when we repent we repent from sin or that repentance is not disconnected from sin but it is sin we are in need of repentance from.

I see where your misunderstanding is though. I assumed that you understood the Greek word meaning of "repent" or "repentance". I guess you didn't so you do not understand what was shared with you in the post you were quoting from. So to be helpful, let me add it for you here.

The Greek word used for "repentance" or "repent" in the scriptures provided to you is μετανοέω (metanoéō | G2240) and means; change ones mind; think differently in regard to sin and feel moral guilt; to amend with abhorrence for ones past sins.

Sorry David you are simply wrong again according to the scriptures shared with you. Therefore the "here we go again" claim is once again your side not mine.

Take Care.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then we have Gods' Word that says; 1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. I prefer what God Word says.

Yes, whoever transgresses law is the ones who commit sin.

That is condemnation, to transgress law and walk after the flesh.

But no an is justified by the law ( by keeping it or breaking it) as the just shall walk by faith.

The law is weak, Jesus freed us from that weakness of sin and death.

Now we are saved by hope ( Romans 8:24) and not by law. ( law is not of faith)

Then every man that has that hope ( of faith) purifies as Christ is pure ( in belief of Him risen)

Sin is the transgression of the law, but as told the next verse down, Christ takes away those sins ( that law is taken away through faith)

The ones who sin ( yet in the law of sin and death and not faith) have not seen Christ or known Him ( in faith)..

Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And a part of that message is 1 John 2:3-4 [3], And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.[4], He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. No one can pretend that they know God while breaking His commandments according to the scriptures *1 John 3:6.

His commandments is ONE, don't you know it yet?

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

2 John 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

Galatians 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the above section of your post I have not said anywhere that the scriptures in Acts of the Apostles 2:38 and Acts of the Apostles 3:19 says "repentance" is to change your mind from sin. Those scriptures where provided to show that when we repent we repent from sin or that repentance is not disconnected from sin but it is sin we are in need of repentance from.

Sin cannot be kept away from by Israels examples ( failure example) of being under a curse by not continuing in all the things of the law, to do them.

Christ has redeemed us from that law, by believing in Him risen, that is faith, and to not believe in that, that is sin.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Romans 8 is being freed from following the words of law.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Galatians 5 also is being freed form the law, to walk in the Spirit...

Galatians 5:2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Romans 3 also establishes the law of faith by taking away the law ( keeping and breaking) of sin

Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

John 3 speaks of born again, and born again as described in 1 Peter is our faith in God that RAISED UP JESUS FROM THE DEAD..

1 Peter 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

1 John again is about the hope in believing in Christ ( faith and no hope or faith in law) to do righteousness is only by those born of God ( who believe in faith in God raising Christ from the dead)

1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1 John 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Acts 5, speaks of obeying Christ, yet it is obedience of faith, not obedience of law ( the law sadly is not of faith)

Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Galatians 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.