Visit site
✟268,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol, I only started reading a few pages before it dawned on me that some of you think it's even possible to keep the ten commandments. If it were possible, there would be no sin, and Jesus would not have had to come here and go through what He did. Seems like a lot for Jesus to go through, if all I had to do was stop smoking cigarettes, don't you think?

The commandments were given so we would have knowledge of sin. I suppose some people have already posted that, but let's look at it. If I could keep the commandments, how would they show me the sin that is in me? The commandments say, simply, the reason you can't do this, (insert commandment), is because you have a glitch that keeps you from being able to do it (them).

This is why Jesus says, "a new commandment..." that we love one another. Now this is possible for us.

Excellent post! :amen:

There are good points in that post. But you might realize that it is admitting that not sinning would be with obedience to commandments, right? But with what there is said in there, I can say obedience to God could be sought, we can try. Why not being doing that? Don't tell me that I say something for us to be condemned. I am showing already that I say there is not condemnation for the redeemed, with what Christ bore for them, that is so however obedient they would be. Why not be obedient or seeking it over not doing so? To obey is better than sacrifice for us for not doing so.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You do see in scripture that continuing in sin is in slavery, or bondage, to sin, right?
We are called to live victoriously, being in Christ.
QFT! :thumbsup: :amen:

Gala 4:
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he [who was] of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise,
24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar --
25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children --
26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

The Destruction of Jerusalem - George Peter Holford, 1805AD

The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible
PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF
CHRISTIANITY:

So far as they tend to verify
OUR LORD'S PREDICTIONS
Relative to that event.

Upvote 0

jelboss366

Nov 1, 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Visit site
✟7,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Someone mentioned "shouldn't we at least try to keep the commandments? ". Why?That's a bit like trying to watch television with a hammer. A hammer was constructed for a purpose, and it's not watching as the world turns.

When people interpret Scripture, the trend is to assume something, instead of taking it to be literal. This is where the notion comes from that the Bible contradicts itself. The commandment's purpose is to reveal sin; to make sin known to us, and if it were possible at all to keep them, then they could not fulfill that purpose. One could also argue that they have never killed anyone, so it's possible to keep one. Two things. As the entire Bible is contextual, so are the commandments; and why we are not to add a word from inference. (Such as "Thou shalt not kill", then "add" the word "people". Let's not forget that in the beginning, there was no death to any creature. ) And the other thing is, the commandments, like the entire Bible, is a complete work, not to be taken apart and re arranged.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Someone mentioned "shouldn't we at least try to keep the commandments? ". Why?That's a bit like trying to watch television with a hammer. A hammer was constructed for a purpose, and it's not watching as the world turns.

When people interpret Scripture, the trend is to assume something, instead of taking it to be literal. This is where the notion comes from that the Bible contradicts itself. The commandment's purpose is to reveal sin; to make sin known to us, and if it were possible at all to keep them, then they could not fulfill that purpose. One could also argue that they have never killed anyone, so it's possible to keep one. Two things. As the entire Bible is contextual, so are the commandments; and why we are not to add a word from inference. (Such as "Thou shalt not kill", then "add" the word "people". Let's not forget that in the beginning, there was no death to any creature. ) And the other thing is, the commandments, like the entire Bible, is a complete work, not to be taken apart and re arranged.
Or, the commandment's purpose is to make sin known to us, and that it's impossible to keep them apart from God, the God who created us and created the norms or laws which we we're meant to live by.

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

It would seem contrary for Christ to advise sincere and God-loving people to keep the commandments if we are unable to keep them; this would be calling Christ a liar when we say that the Ten Commandments cannot be kept, and perhaps, the entire Word of God is invalid and blasphemous if we cannot be loyal to God? I hope not. Thanks :)

To those under the law He said:

If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
-Mat 5:29,30

Yet He also said:

Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
-Mat 11:29,30

Which I suspect may be closely related to whatever inspired the Apostles to believe this:

Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? -Acts 15:10

It's clear to me that if His intent was to put everyone under the yoke of the a law established through a former covenant, then He contradicted Himself, but I don't believe that's true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Yet He also said:

Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

Which I suspect may be closely related to whatever inspired the Apostles to believe this:

Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? -Acts 15:10

It's clear to me that if His intent was to put everyone under the yoke of the a law established through a former covenant, then He contradicted Himself, but I don't believe that's true.
Yes, or, His yoke is easy and His burden light because, in and through Him, the law is fulfilled by love, rather than through the strife that ensues when one tries to achieve what they really have no true ability to achieve on their own.

Upvote 0

Yet He also said:

Hi, I'm lost by your reply, I'm sorry. I don't know how to interpret what you say, my fault. I can only believe that God instructed us to keep the Ten Commandments because we can and it's required of us. Then, if you have any scripture to contest this then I'll try to see it your way but no promises that I will. Thanks :)

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Wow. Thanks for telling me what I am saying. Really, I am saying obedience with what commandments from Yahweh God say is right, and not saying there is condemnation from the law for any of the redeemed. Where do I say that there is, for the redeemed? What I actually have been saying is not at odds with what Jesus said anywhere, if you think it is at odds, quote what I say the way I meant it that you claim does with what the Lord said that you think shows that. I do say there is just condemnation, meaning condemnation that is just, from God, but the redeemed are truly saved from that. Christ bore that for them.
If one isn't condemned for a crime (breaking a law) then as far as the legal citizen three scenarios exist: 1) He must not have done the crime or 2) The law regarding the crime is invalid in his case or 3) a law doesn't exist for the crime such that he could be condemned.
What I see is at odds with this here in your thinking as you regard it against the Law (crime) to not obey (keep commandments) yet you also say the person who is disobeying isn't condemned for not obeying. I know of no legal system that works in this bizarre way. Either a law is valid, one breaking it is a criminal in some fashion and condemned or the law is not valid and not applicable to a crime in his case so he is not able to be condemned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Yes, or, His yoke is easy and His burden light because, in and through Him, the law is fulfilled by love, rather than through the strife that ensues when one tries to achieve what they really have no true ability to achieve on their own.

And this is what the first couple did too, they fell because Eve didn't believe it either. Lol but Thanks :)

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, I'm lost by your reply, I'm sorry. I don't know how to interpret what you say, my fault. I can only believe that God instructed us to keep the Ten Commandments because we can and it's required of us. Then, if you have any scripture to contest this then I'll try to see it your way but no promises that I will. Thanks :)
God never instructed "us" he instructed the nation of Israel at Sinai starting with those with Moses and continuing through and ONLY the nation of Israel. There is nothing that confirms the Law given there was passed on to the world apart from Israel. In order to properly keep the Law which an integral part of was the 10 commandments one had to become a citizen of Israel and was obliged to take part in the entirety of the Law. In other words if you are not circumcised and become a Jew and live as a Jew including all the sacrifices and temple rituals and tithing to the proper priesthood observing all the feast days.... properly keeping the Sabbath you were breaking the Law. If you are ONLY keeping the 10 commandments you are seen as disobedient to God he didn't separate them to do as you please with from Israel it is a package deal all or nothing.

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

God can do whatever He wants, but the commands were given to a stiff-necked, rebellious people, whereas Christ described Himself to be gentle and lowly in heart when He described His own yoke.

I personally consider the situation to be much like God saying "You want to be proud and arrogant enough to rebel against me and mistreat your neighbors? Fine, then measure up to me." Of course, many under the law ended up as His adversaries, which should be expected.

Upvote 0
God can do whatever He wants, but the commands were given to a stiff-necked, rebellious people, whereas Christ described Himself to be gentle and lowly in heart when He described His own yoke.

I personally consider the situation to be much like God saying "You want to be proud and arrogant enough to rebel against me and mistreat your neighbors? Fine, then measure up to me." Of course, many under the law ended up as His adversaries, which should be expected.

So, do you believe that the commandments given to Adam and Eve were any different then those given to Moses for all of mankind? Even Paul said that the Law should not be neglected by believers, the only difference is how we are Judged according to the Law, and this is obviously misunderstood, and Paul made an address to this problem. And, if they received any commandments of obedience then they too were stiff-necked and rebellious before they violated the commandments?

So, your thinking is as long as we 'love' one another we then are saved without the Law? Do you know how Christ filled full (fulfilled) the Law?

I'm sorry to say this but your understanding of the Law crucifies Christ, afresh, as it too is written. And, any Christian who is knowledgeable enough to search the scriptures will be disappointed if they adhere to the entire Bible theme with this erroneous idea in mind.

The yoke is describing a balance in His Laws, and if we do away with the Laws then He is crucified afresh, and there is no law even for Christ. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
N

Nanopants

So, do you believe that the commandments given to Adam and Eve were any different then those given to Moses for all of mankind? Even Paul said that the Law should not be neglected by believers, the only difference is how we are Judged according to the Law, and this is obviously misunderstood, and Paul made an address to this problem. And, if they received any commandments of obedience then they too were stiff-necked and rebellious before they violated the commandments?

So, your thinking is as long as we 'love' one another we then are saved without the Law? Do you know how Christ filled full (fulfilled) the Law?

I'm sorry to say this but your understanding of the Law crucifies Christ, afresh, as it too is written. And, any Christian who is knowledgeable enough to search the scriptures will be disappointed if they adhere to the entire Bible theme with this erroneous idea in mind.

The yoke is describing a balance in His Laws, and if we do away with the Laws then He is crucified afresh, and there is no law even for Christ. Thanks :)

Can you tell me that Adam and Eve were given the ten commandments without going beyond what's written?

Upvote 0
Jesus came to earth to die for our sins, but when he also came, he preached and taught laws that seemed more demanding than the law given to Moses. That's because He told us Himself that He came to fulfill the law of Moses. Law of Moses says "eye for an eye". Jesus taught "turn the other cheek". That is basically fulfilling the law of Moses to how God really wanted it to be. The reason why the law of Moses says "eye for an eye", was because the Israelites he was leading at that time were quite stubborn. So God was basically telling Moses "listen, my people (Israelites) are quite stiff-necked right now, so these laws I'm giving you are the basic ones since the laws I really meant (laws Jesus taught in the NT) are too hard for them."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.