N/A
✟158,428.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Therefore I know what I'm talking about.

Do you?
Well, I know what Paul is talking about, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images of mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Some people knew God, but became fools and began idolatry - worshiping images of men, birds, animals and reptiles instead of worshiping the invisible God.

Its not about Christians, science or atheism.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,956,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟158,428.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and why did they?

You left something out.

They "professed themselves to be wise."

And I'm Genghis Khan.
You are desperately trying to do eisegesis - to insert the problems you face in the 21st century to the 1st century text.

Sorry, Paul is not talking about science, evolution or atheism. He is talking about his cultural context - pagan (and Jewish) idolatry.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet... this Christian website has a science forum.... the very same forum we are typing on just now.

Now that's just interesting...
It's not a complaint. I just like to see them kept in their own swim lane, as they've done here. It's something that is often discussed in Christian circles because for some, they think it has an impact on God creating us. I don't, because I don't consider evolution of man to be a theory. I see it as an hypothesis. I'll be interested when it becomes a theory. That said, I believe the evolution of the Corvette can be tested in a lab. ;)

Upvote 0

Astrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟157,976.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I kind of agree. Its shameful to hold false ideas as truth and dismissing evidence to the contrary, while professing believing in the God who said much about truth, wisdom and purity.
There's a lot of layers besides the insult to the intelligence
presumed to be endowed by god.

The claim that he drowned millions in a flood is
a pretty heavy charge against a god of love.
Considering that there was no such flood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Astrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟157,976.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's not a complaint. I just like to see them kept in their own swim lane, as they've done here. It's something that is often discussed in Christian circles because for some, they think it has an impact on God creating us. I don't, because I don't consider evolution of man to be a theory. I see it as an hypothesis. I'll be interested when it becomes a theory. That said, I believe the evolution of the Corvette can be tested in a lab. ;)
Of course what you consider and what is, do differ.

in the event, nobody in what, 170 yrs of trying has
had any luck disproving the theory.
Like not one (1) contrary fact.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are desperately trying to do eisegesis - to insert the problems you face in the 21st century to the 1st century text.

Sorry, Paul is not talking about science, evolution or atheism. He is talking about his cultural context - pagan (and Jewish) idolatry.
I've actually started interpreting a lot of scripture that way. I just did my own study of the epistles. What I find is that they were ALL written to a particular person (or church) to address particular problems. Yet we often apply it to us today as if it were written "to" us today. Case in point, the idea about obeying all leaders. Taken literall for the last 2000 years it would apply to a lot of despots, e.g. Hitler. And it would make the founding fathers of the US sinners for the American Revolution.

I believe the concepts presented in the NT to be general in perspective. Like your dad saying to look both ways before crossing the street. And stopping at all stop signs. They are general principles that a person with a thinking brain and average IQ can reason out for themself in every specific situation. We're able to discern the "why" for the principle and understand when it may be time to violate it. Like when someone hides Anne Frank.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course what you consider and what is, do differ.

in the event, nobody in what, 170 yrs of trying has
had any luck disproving the theory.
Like not one (1) contrary fact.
Like I said, I've left the argument behind. There are more important things for us to consider. But it is fun, kinda like discussing the future of EV's is fun, or "what if Hitler had won the war" is fun to some.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,956,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Next you'll be telling me Job didn't speak of electronic communications, won't you?

Job 38:35 Canst thou send lightnings, that they may go, and say unto thee, Here we are?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟158,428.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've actually started interpreting a lot of scripture that way. I just did my own study of the epistles. What I find is that they were ALL written to a particular person (or church) to address particular problems. Yet we often apply it to us today as if it were written "to" us today. Case in point, the idea about obeying all leaders. Taken literall for the last 2000 years it would apply to a lot of despots, e.g. Hitler. And it would make the founding fathers of the US sinners for the American Revolution.

I believe the concepts presented in the NT to be general in perspective. Like your dad saying to look both ways before crossing the street. And stopping at all stop signs. They are general principles that a person with a thinking brain and average IQ can reason out for themself in every specific situation. We're able to discern the "why" for the principle and understand when it may be time to violate it. Like when someone hides Anne Frank.
General principles are not eisegesis. Eisegesis is when you try to force another context/meaning into the text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,956,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The claim that he drowned millions in a flood is a pretty heavy charge against a god of love.

Considering that there was no such flood.

Then that should make you respect Him more, shouldn't it?

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
General principles are not eisegesis. Eisegesis is when you try to force another context/meaning into the text.
Kinda like what I do regarding Paul's comments that nature teaches us that women's hair is long and men's hair is short?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,956,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've actually started interpreting a lot of scripture that way. I just did my own study of the epistles. What I find is that they were ALL written to a particular person (or church) to address particular problems. Yet we often apply it to us today as if it were written "to" us today.

What do you think this passage means?

Hebrews 4:12a For the word of God is quick,

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟31,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot of layers besides the insult to the intelligence
presumed to be endowed by god.

The claim that he drowned millions in a flood is
a pretty heavy charge against a god of love.
Ever heard of tough love? And when one sees this world as sort of a training center, preceding a more "real" life, I see that as hard training to more better prepare one. Don't worry. This life is not all there is. It's hard because it teaches. And some learn a lot from it and some simply get bitter. Their choice and their responsibility.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.