Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's because of our accents! ;) Actually, it was a breakdown that Erwin followed and it had WV listed as a state in the Southeast. I guess I always thought we were considered a south eastern state.

Not to long ago I was talking to someone on the phone and he kept referring to "western Virginia" and I kept telling him it was "West Virginia". He acted like he didn't believe we were actually a state. I thought, some history class he had!

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
wvmtnkid said:
Not to long ago I was talking to someone on the phone and he kept referring to "western Virginia" and I kept telling him it was "West Virginia". He acted like he didn't believe we were actually a state. I thought, some history class he had!

Yep, like Northern Virginia is a separate state also, which some geographically challenged persons believe!

Upvote 0

Jenndiggy

Jun 24, 2003
West Virginia
Visit site
✟7,915.00
Faith
Christian
Well, there are definately different regions of WV. I mean, I'm 5 miles from MD, many WVs commute to Washington DC, my church is only a few miles from PA, and part of the state is sandwiched between PA and Ohio (isn't that midwest)

But where I live is NOT and NEVER will be the south! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are right about the regional differences. I live 11 miles from the Virginia border, on the southern end. Where I live it is not uncommon to still see the Confederate flag on occasion. Your statement about never being part of the south would be echoed down here except, of course, changing south to north. And it is very odd because we live in the same state! :) Not trying to start the war again or anything! :D

Let this be a lesson to other countries, this is what happens when you have a Civil War!

Upvote 0

Jenndiggy

Jun 24, 2003
West Virginia
Visit site
✟7,915.00
Faith
Christian
Start the war again? Yup. Those southerners. . . *looks at Great-great-grandfather's Union Civil War medal that hangs above the computer*

oh wait. . . you said not to start the war again. . .

(Ever notice that the Civil War never ended in WV?)

I went to visit a friend one time in Arizona. I had won the trip in a contest and took a friend from around Beckley with me. When we were at my friend's house in Tucson she said "That is SO WEIRD -- you two have TOTALLY different accents and you're from the same state. That's just so weird." I had to explain WV southerners to her. :) LOL!

Disclaimer: I am joking for all who don't know. I have some good friends from the south.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My father is a Presbyterian minister (now retired), and from 1976 to 1982 my father's pastorate was in the small coal mining town of Gilbert. This is where I graduated from high school. I also went to Davis and Elkins College, Elkins, WV, from 1978 to 1982. I now live in Charlotte, NC.

I have fond memories of my years in West Virginia, especially the cold winters and friendly people.

Gilbert High School used to have a very good high school football tradition. I would like to go up there some time to see one of the football games next fall...wonder what happened to everybody? I know the coal mining is not what it used to be. Jay Rockefeller is now a Senator, he was Governor when I lived there.

Upvote 0

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
cbk said:
Having been born and raised in Eastern KY, on the border, I have many ties to WV.

Ever here of Williamson? Went to a Catholic school there for six years during my elementary days.
I lived in Gilbert, Mingo County, in the late 70s, early 80s, and Williamson was the county seat for Mingo County. Back in the late 70s, it was about an hour drive to Williamson having to cross 3 mountains to get there, so we didn't drive over there that often, preferred Logan which was only 45 minutes. I understand they have straightened out US 52 a bit since then.:)

Upvote 0
Donny_B said:
I lived in Gilbert, Mingo County, in the late 70s, early 80s, and Williamson was the county seat for Mingo County. Back in the late 70s, it was about an hour drive to Williamson having to cross 3 mountains to get there, so we didn't drive over there that often, preferred Logan which was only 45 minutes. I understand they have straightened out US 52 a bit since then.:)
4 lane from Williamson all the way to the capital. Now they are working on the 4lane from Williamson to Huntington.

Now from Williamson to Gilbert, did you have to go through Delbarton by way of Varney on U.S. 52?

I went to Belfry High School on the Kentucky side. Graduated in 1985. Yes, Gilbert did have some good football teams. What were your colors? Some team near there were called the 'yellowjackets'? Do you remember who?

Upvote 0

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
cbk said:
4 lane from Williamson all the way to the capital. Now they are working on the 4lane from Williamson to Huntington.

Now from Williamson to Gilbert, did you have to go through Delbarton by way of Varney on U.S. 52?

I went to Belfry High School on the Kentucky side. Graduated in 1985. Yes, Gilbert did have some good football teams. What were your colors? Some team near there were called the 'yellowjackets'? Do you remember who?
Yes, I remember the towns of Delbarton and Varney. One of my teachers was from Varney, on the other side of Horsepen Mountain. And there was Matewan if you turned left. Kermit was on the other side of Williamson.

It was the Duval Yellow Jackets. I pulled my high school yearbook, at in 1977 the Gilbert Lions were beaten by the Duval Yellow Jackets 13-12. Other opponents on the football schedule that year included Burch, Lenore, Phelps, Baileysville, Van, Chapmanville, Herndon and Iaeger.

Gilbert's colors were purple and gold.

Upvote 0