St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This will be my 2nd eclipse in the last 6+ years. The St. Louis area was in the path of totality back in Aug., 2017. We're in the partiality path this time.

Not to get off topic, but in May,, some midwestern states could get a double insect whammy. Brood XIX of 13 year cicadas, and Brood XIII of 17 year cicadas will emerge at about the same time. This won't happen again until 2245. St. Louis will definitely get the 13 year brood. We might get some of the 17 year bugs. But I'm ready. I've got 3 pairs of shades for the eclipse. And earmuffs for the cicadas. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm reading a novel right now set in imperial Russia. An American scientist travels to observe a total eclipse. The villiagers think he caused the eclipse with witchcraft so they attack him , accuse him of killing their cattle, and then gauge out his eye.....

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone un-confuse me about this news story? I've lived through quite a few eclipses in my life, we had one here last October, but I've never heard of eclipse tourism. The only person I ever heard of who traveled to see an eclipse was Albert Einstein. Let's be honest, an eclipse is interesting, but not the most spectacular thing you'd want to see. Is there something special about this one? Is Taylor Swift performing at *halftime?

*I'm aware that halftime is not the proper scientific word used by professional astronomers, but I'm too lazy to Google.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The 2017 total solar eclipse in the United States: Traffic management and lessons learned

During the total solar eclipse, the Oregon National Guard was called to help manage traffic in Madras along US26 and US97 in Oregon. In Idaho, police patrols were stationed every 15 miles as traffic jams began in the morning eclipse day along I-15 (Corte, 2017). In South Carolina, state police were also increased in number, and first responders were assigned to the entire stretch of I-26 to mitigate heavy traffic (Jenkins, 2017).

Furthermore, traffic on eclipse day in Tennessee reached 34 miles along I-75 between Niota and I-40 interchange at Farragut (Jacobs, 2017). In Wyoming, the state's population, officially 585,000, had also doubled, with traffic counts on August 21 showing 536,000 more vehicles than the 5-year average (68% increase) (Peterson, 2017). For Georgia, on Monday eclipse day morning, thousands left Atlanta to drive north; hence northeastern Georgia roads were congested (Ada Carr, 2017).

Further analysis of traffic after the total solar eclipse indicated traffic doubled in the southbound along I-15 for Idaho soon after the eclipse as this traffic continued for 8 h. In Hopkinsville, Kentucky, post-eclipse traffic caused extensive delays, and the visitors' movements via I-69 and the Western Kentucky Parkway resulted in a commute to double (Leader, 2017, WDRB, 2017). Oregon National Guard assisted in traffic control along US26 and US97 (Karen Kaplan, 2017), and Madras Municipal Airport also had more than 400 personal planes queued waiting to leave immediately after the eclipse (Harbarger, 2019).

From the literature review, it is observed that traffic before the eclipse was evenly distributed, leading to the eclipse day. Still, traffic congestion was predominant across the states after the eclipse as visitors started departing immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2021
Washington D.C.
✟112,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone un-confuse me about this news story? I've lived through quite a few eclipses in my life, we had one here last October, but I've never heard of eclipse tourism. The only person I ever heard of who traveled to see an eclipse was Albert Einstein. Let's be honest, an eclipse is interesting, but not the most spectacular thing you'd want to see. Is there something special about this one? Is Taylor Swift performing at *halftime?

*I'm aware that halftime is not the proper scientific word used by professional astronomers, but I'm too lazy to Google.

Eclipse tourism is a thing. Several of my co-workers have plans to travel to see the eclipse. However, I am a contractor at a NASA facility, so my co-workers are not part of the typical person-on-the-street crowd when it comes to space and astronomy.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, my area was directly under the total solar eclipse just a half a year ago. Everything was completely normal. For the fun of it we took our dog for a walk during the eclipse and there were a very few people here and there out in their front yards to watch it. Maybe I live in a place where people are not so easily amused.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2021
Washington D.C.
✟112,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think it has to do with the type of eclipse. The 2023 eclipse happened when the moon was farther from the Earth. It was an annular eclipse, not a total eclipse; there was still a "ring of fire". During the 2024 eclipse, the moon is closer to the earth, so it will be a total eclipse. People get much more excited about that.

• Agree
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

National Guard will be deployed (in some states) for total solar eclipse on April 8

At the request of local emergency management officials, the Oklahoma National Guard will have members of the 63rd Civil Support Team available to assist local governments during the eclipse

Lt. Col. Jabonn Flurry, commander of the 63rd CST, said as many as 100,000 visitors are expected in McCurtain County, Oklahoma. [Per Wiki: Population: 30,884 (2021)]

“This influx of visitors has the potential to overtax local resources and thanks to the training and experience our Guardsmen have working alongside local agencies all across Oklahoma, the CST is uniquely qualified to support our fellow Oklahomans,” Flurry said in a statement.

Other tips:
  • Do not wear eclipse glasses while driving.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
This will be my 2nd eclipse in the last 6+ years. The St. Louis area was in the path of totality back in Aug., 2017. We're in the partiality path this time.

Not to get off topic, but in May,, some midwestern states could get a double insect whammy. Brood XIX of 13 year cicadas, and Brood XIII of 17 year cicadas will emerge at about the same time. This won't happen again until 2245. St. Louis will definitely get the 13 year brood. We might get some of the 17 year bugs. But I'm ready. I've got 3 pairs of shades for the eclipse. And earmuffs for the cicadas. :oldthumbsup:

It is time. I remember the Great Southern Brood, aka XIX in 2011. They were everywhere. I fried up a bunch of 'em in Olive oil and ate a bowl of the crunchy critters.

"Fry the cicadas in two batches, 6 or so at a time, until light golden and crispy. Once they float to the surface, watch them carefully to avoid burning, stirring occasionally with a slotted spoon so they brown evenly, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the prepared rack or plate."

I lived in a very rural place, so whatever's in the ground wouldn't be harmful. Be careful if they have been in ground contaminated with pesticides, herbicides, or other chemicals.
I didn't put mine in batter. these look really good. John the Baptist may have had his locusts, but not this!
Screenshot 2024-03-21 5.33.43 PM.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Solar eclipse expected to affect the Texas power grid

A forecast provided by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas shows that if there are clear skies that afternoon, solar generation will drop from about 99% of capacity to just under 8% during those four minutes of peak totality.

But even in the hours leading up to and following totality, there will be a dip in solar generation because the sun will still be partially covered between about 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Solar power makes up about a third of the Texas power supply on an average afternoon.

Well, they can always borrow power from states that aren't in the path of totality. Oh right.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Incarcerated New Yorkers Want to See the Eclipse. The State Has Responded With a Lockdown

"I don't believe that just because I am incarcerated that I should be denied this opportunity."

Cruel and unusual!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I didn't hear much about traffic snarls, but there were some.

For these eclipse chasers, a 3-hour trip became an 11-hour marathon

A family traveling back to Melrose from northern New Hampshire lost cell service for hours and grew concerned about the lack of officials along the traffic jam.​

At one point, Morgan said that it took them five hours to travel five miles.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't hear much about traffic snarls, but there were some.

For these eclipse chasers, a 3-hour trip became an 11-hour marathon

A family traveling back to Melrose from northern New Hampshire lost cell service for hours and grew concerned about the lack of officials along the traffic jam.​

At one point, Morgan said that it took them five hours to travel five miles.
I notice they didn’t mention that the reason the traffic was bottlenecked was there was a severe accident on 93 involving a truck headed north which lost its load into the southbound lane. And Franconia Notch doesn’t have cell coverage during the best of times, nor are there many exits with facilities between Plymouth and Concord… Every electric sign on 93 warned about it, telling people to travel during non-peak hours or expect delays and to plan for few services north of Concord.

So this person is complaining that the things NH authorities warned about were correct…?

VT warned about the same, so I left for Burlington so that I’d arrive before rush hour, stayed overnight, and then left before rush hour the next day. I wasn’t stuck in traffic for even 10 minutes, much less 10 hours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums