Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I am fully aware that God does not want robots and that sex is great. I merely meant that sometimes I just get plain tired of thinking and doing wrong and sometimes I do wish I didn't have the capacity to sin at all. I'm not so stupid as to think that's a possibility--you missed my point. I am fully aware of reality, and sometimes, just sometimes--it palin sucks!!!

But reality is where we must live. And God is very interested in the "mundane"--he knows how many "hairs on your head", He knows when a sparrow falls. He is interested in every aspect of our lives and He wants only the best for us--unfortunately, we ussualy think we know what's best for us better than He does. We want what we want and we want it now, thank you very much.

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I really, really, really do not understand this. Why is virginity mocked and made to be "lame" or some nonsense? What is so bad about having never had sex? Why is it something that must be "fixed" or "cured"? I really don't get it.

Rant over.

1. Humans are animals
2. Animals, in large part, procreate sexually and not asexually
3. Procreation sustains a species
4. Lack of procreation causes a species to fail
5. Virginity is a lack of procreation
6. Virginity, for the continuation of animal life, is fail

Upvote 0

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
1. Humans are animals
...6. Virginity, for the continuation of animal life, is fail

And yet, human beings have the capacity to find other purposes in life, rather than the simple goal of reproducing themselves. If someone wants to be a celibate monk, or a hermit artist, or whatever, I really don't see that there's an issue at all. The human race isn't going to die out over a few people (or even lots of people) who choose virginity/chastity/celibacy. The species will survive as long as some minimum number of people continue breeding. I don't think that'll be an issue anytime soon.

And as an aside about terminology. Virginity is about a particular thing. If someone chooses a celibate life after having had sex, they don't go back to being a virgin. They are not a virgin anymore. But they can certainly choose celibacy, and that's the word I'd use for a non virgin who is choosing not to have sex. Likewise, a virgin could also use that word with respect to themselves.

In other words, all virgins are celibate. But all celibates are not virgins.

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
And yet, human beings have the capacity to find other purposes in life, rather than the simple goal of reproducing themselves. If someone wants to be a celibate monk, or a hermit artist, or whatever, I really don't see that there's an issue at all. The human race isn't going to die out over a few people (or even lots of people) who choose virginity/chastity/celibacy. The species will survive as long as some minimum number of people continue breeding. I don't think that'll be an issue anytime soon.

And as an aside about terminology. Virginity is about a particular thing. If someone chooses a celibate life after having had sex, they don't go back to being a virgin. They are not a virgin anymore. But they can certainly choose celibacy, and that's the word I'd use for a non virgin who is choosing not to have sex. Likewise, a virgin could also use that word with respect to themselves.

In other words, all virgins are celibate. But all celibates are not virgins.

If I had a billion dollars and locked it up in a vault and never gave it away. Not a single penny, nor used a single penny for my own gain. Would I be a candidate for mockery?

Yes I would. It would be mocked with words like miser, skinflint, tightwad, dragon, hoarder. etc.

Because when you have a valuable resource it is important for you to share it to promote civilisation.

So too with genes.

Virgins are genetic misers.

Spread the genes, keep a healthy humanity. Less variety in genes leads to more disorders.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Virgins are genetic misers.

Spread the genes, keep a healthy humanity. Less variety in genes leads to more disorders.
Yeah, because with 6+ billion people on this planet, we have to worry about virgins :doh:
By your logic, every teenager out there should either be getting pregnant like "octo mom" or impregnating every woman they meet.
If they don't do that, EVERY chance they get, aren't they just being "misers" to some degree?

Human sexuality is a wee bit more complicated than simply rutting to produce offspring at every chance we get.
By your logic, your oppose contraception, the legal right to abortion and even the "Sorry, I have a headache" reasoning.
Everyone who uses a condom, or any other contraceptive, is a genetic miser.
As is anyone who gets an abortion.
Or anyone who just isn't in the mood at that particular moment.

You have GOT to be a Poe.
Tell me you're just Poe'ing? Please?

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I really, really, really do not understand this. Why is virginity mocked and made to be "lame" or some nonsense? What is so bad about having never had sex? Why is it something that must be "fixed" or "cured"? I really don't get it.

Rant over.
Not a clue
Like I said, I know a volcano hot 25 year old who's a virgin.
Apparently there's a 39 year old virgin on this thread
I personally dated one virgin (her and I were both in our early 20's, FAR after I became sexually active).
I never mocked her, or made her out to be "lame".
As a matter of fact I got one of the best kisses in my life from her when I told her I was willing to wait until she was ready, if she ever was (and even the kiss was lips only).
We dated for almost a year, pretty much only holding hands and lip-only kissing (the rare, careful so-called "french kiss").
Circumstances forced us apart, but I do not, for a second, regret dating a virgin for almost a year, no sex, mostly hand holding, hugging and lip-only kissing.

I would never mock a virgin, and I don't understand why society expects any given 20something to NOT be a virgin.

When it comes to my personal interest (romantic or platonic), it doesn't matter.

However, unlike one other person on this thread has said, I do not hold them in awe.
I just respect what they want, easy peasy

Upvote 0

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
...Virgins are genetic misers.

I, too, truly hope you're either joking or a poe. Genetic diversity isn't going to be a problem unless the vast majority of people are destroyed in some catastrophe.

I just watched a special on the advances in health in Mexico over the last 40 years. Do you know what the difference is? That they changed their constitution to say that everyone has a right to choose how many, and spacing, of any children they choose to have. That's it. That's the difference. Quality of life is better. Death rates for women and children are far lower. Everything is better. Our lives and bodies are not a resource available for anyone to distribute. They're ours. And if we choose not to propagate, we're harming no one, and probably spending our time and resources on something else that's of benefit to society.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
1. Humans are animals
2. Animals, in large part, procreate sexually and not asexually
3. Procreation sustains a species
4. Lack of procreation causes a species to fail
5. Virginity is a lack of procreation
6. Virginity, for the continuation of animal life, is fail
You almost make it sound like sustaining my species is/should be the sole or main purpose in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

singapito

Dec 31, 2010
New York
✟7,719.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
virginity is a priceless gift. To give in to the man you love and to the woman you love after marriage is the best. God designed it that way. A lot of marriages have broken down because of guys and girls playing with sex and then cant keep marriage because of that.The devil is using that as a weapon to defeat most Christians. Stand strong

Upvote 0
What makes virginity a 'priceless gift'?
If they do not play around before marriage then there is a better chance they will be faithful in the marriage. When people play around in a marriage then there is a chance they will get a divorce and run off with the other person. In some cases this can be hard on the kids. Monomogy means monomogy before and after marriage, not just after you get married.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
If they do not play around before marriage then there is a better chance they will be faithful in the marriage. When people play around in a marriage then there is a chance they will get a divorce and run off with the other person. In some cases this can be hard on the kids. Monomogy means monomogy before and after marriage, not just after you get married.

My personal belief is that it is the other way around: If a person does not get a chance to explore before marriage, the curiosity is more likely to cause them to stray. Part of the reasoning behind this is that if one sleeps around with some people they will get to know their own sexuality better and upon settling they will find a partner more in tune with their sexuality thus keeping them very satisfied. If you don't have sex beforehand, you might end up with a person who has very different sexual needs and tastes making your love life not as good.

But as it stands, both our beliefs are just that; do you have any evidence to point out that your belief holds more water than mine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
virginity is a priceless gift. To give in to the man you love and to the woman you love after marriage is the best. God designed it that way. A lot of marriages have broken down because of guys and girls playing with sex and then cant keep marriage because of that.The devil is using that as a weapon to defeat most Christians. Stand strong

Virginity is simply the default of never having had sex. It is no more a "priceless gift" then having never sneezed before.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Kinda. They have placed value on something that, intrinsically, has no real value. That's what makes them odd to me, not that they haven't had sex.

Not to you--but there is much value placed on it by just about all religions--and amongst a whole lot of atheists--and amongst millions of men all over the world who will go to great lengths and expense to acquire one--many a young girl made a lot of money being sold for the purpose of being "deflowered" --Or, more likely, her pimp made the money. They are still doing it--and not just in foreign countries, right here in the good old USA. Muslims will kill a woman that has been raped--(even if she isn't a virgin.) And most insist on marrying a virgin.Used to be A virgin geisha went to the highest bidder. Probably still being done. It is men that pay for it--sometimes several thousand dollars.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.