Why is "the heart" the euphemism of choice?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So first off, I am just hoping, that the use of the word "heart" as it pertains to thoughts and emotions is just a euphemism, and not biological ignorance. The heart itself is just a muscle with chambers and valves to pump blood, to nourish the rest of the body, no thoughts come from it, no emotions come from it, people have had their hearts replaced by machines temporarily, and people have had their hearts transplanted, and came out with the recipient's consciousness not the donor's (which if the heart was physically the seat of the soul and not the brain, it would be the donor's consciousness that woke up from the surgery, not the recipient, they'd be dead).. the same cannot be said for the brain.
I understand in ancient times, they actually were biologically ignorant (to where the egyptians removed the brain through the nose with a hook when mummifying because they had no idea what the brain was for), and the heartbeat is a pleasant, palpable, audible sign of life. But it's the brain that is where emotions come from, where thoughts come from, and there is the biblical distinction of the use of the word mind, and heart, when reality is, they're both the mind. You have a body, a mind, and a soul, 2 things physical, 1 thing supernatural, and I wonder if the contents of the mind come with your soul when you depart from your body, since they are physically housed in the brain, feelings, memories, senses, thoughts.
It just always feels a little silly using the heart euphemism now that we know what the brain does, and what the heart actually does.
"How do you feel in your heart?"
My heart? it doesn't feel anything, at least unless it has pain from a blocked artery, it just pumps blood.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A transplanted heart is soon wired up to the brain. They talk to each other. In fact more signals travel to the brain from the heart than vice versa. Many people having severe mental anxiety attacks go to the ER with chest pains thinking they are having a heart attack. The physical heart manifests many emotions that originate in the mind. Thus the mind part of the brain is intrinsically connected to the heart.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is "the heart" the euphemism of choice?
Before medical science acknowledged the blood-pumping heart's importance, "heart" was synonymous with "core." "Coeur" is French for heart and the word "courage" comes from the same root.

Not knowing the internal workings of people, "heart" was sort of a black-box term to describe one's innermost being, feelings, etc.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
People with severe anxiety also have other physical symptoms in every organ system connected to the brain. Nausea, vomiting, cramps, acid reflux, ulcers, diarrhea, incontience, pain in various areas of the body, all of that can originate from the brain and anxiety too. The heart is the battery, the brain is processor that makes the toy do all the moving and talking. But yes the heart is the second most vital organ in a person's body, the lungs being the third.
If your brain dies.. well you're just dead. If your heart dies you die within seconds, and if your lungs give out you die within minutes. Other organs well, it can be hours, days, even weeks before you shut down form their failure. So it doesn't surprise me that the heart does a lot of signaling back and forth with the brain. It doesn't mean that the heart is where the soul or consciousness resides though, or where feelings originate. We can replace a heart, you will never be able to replace a brain outside of a supernatural act of God resurrecting someone, the physical brain will have either rotted, been destroyed with embalming chemicals, removed, or burned to ashes, but God will bring them back. But we can medically replace hearts right now, through transplants, and can temporarily substitute it through a machine. Some people think we'll be able to upload our minds to a computer, but I highly doubt that. You may somehow capture a person's thoughts onto a computer but their soul will not upload the same way.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My heart? it doesn't feel anything, at least unless it has pain from a blocked artery, it just pumps blood.

I'd say you're stuck in a materialistic (and Cartesian) anthropology. Science is now our orthodoxy, so that makes sense, but traditional Christian anthropology isn't materialistic and I rather doubt that modern scientific orthodoxy is accurate with regard to these questions. (As a Christian I would not reduce human beings to biological functions such as circulation or electrical brain impulses.)

That said, there are some very old debates about whether the nous/intellect or the heart is the higher centre of our being. In any case, in Biblical use the heart is very much a deep centre of the person, much deeper than the brain.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So first off, I am just hoping, that the use of the word "heart" as it pertains to thoughts and emotions is just a euphemism, and not biological ignorance. The heart itself is just a muscle with chambers and valves to pump blood, to nourish the rest of the body, no thoughts come from it, no emotions come from it, people have had their hearts replaced by machines temporarily, and people have had their hearts transplanted, and came out with the recipient's consciousness not the donor's (which if the heart was physically the seat of the soul and not the brain, it would be the donor's consciousness that woke up from the surgery, not the recipient, they'd be dead).. the same cannot be said for the brain.
I understand in ancient times, they actually were biologically ignorant (to where the egyptians removed the brain through the nose with a hook when mummifying because they had no idea what the brain was for), and the heartbeat is a pleasant, palpable, audible sign of life. But it's the brain that is where emotions come from, where thoughts come from, and there is the biblical distinction of the use of the word mind, and heart, when reality is, they're both the mind. You have a body, a mind, and a soul, 2 things physical, 1 thing supernatural, and I wonder if the contents of the mind come with your soul when you depart from your body, since they are physically housed in the brain, feelings, memories, senses, thoughts.
It just always feels a little silly using the heart euphemism now that we know what the brain does, and what the heart actually does.
Good point Jam.

I think that when the scriptures were inspired, the Holy Spirit primarily worked with the language and concepts that the recipients could comprehend (with the exception of Revelation, and you see how that turned out).

Not only was there not a word for the brain, there was no understanding of it. I do think that changing focus from the heart to the brain may be a bit more of the same mistake however. The brain is also an organ, but we are our spirit and all of our organs and bodies are just flesh gloves for it.

However, it’s fascinating to think about how our physical bodies (mental illness, hormones, mental health issues) can affect our spirits and vice versa.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'd say you're stuck in a materialistic (and Cartesian) anthropology. Science is now our orthodoxy, so that makes sense, but traditional Christian anthropology isn't materialistic and I rather doubt that modern scientific orthodoxy is accurate with regard to these questions. (As a Christian I would not reduce human beings to biological functions such as circulation or electrical brain impulses.)

That said, there are some very old debates about whether the nous/intellect or the heart is the higher centre of our being. In any case, in Biblical use the heart is very much a deep centre of the person, much deeper than the brain.

The brain is still flesh I just consider it the most vital organ of that flesh, and wonder about how much consciousness is physically attached to the brain, if people have damage to the brain they lose memories and it can change their personality.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The brain is still flesh I just consider it the most vital organ of that flesh, and wonder about how much consciousness is physically attached to the brain, if people have damage to the brain they lose memories and it can change their personality.
Our brains are analogous to programmable controllers. Its operator/living software transcends it, still.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Our brains are analogous to programmable controllers. Its operator/living software transcends it, still.
But the physical organ of the brain can affect the emotions, feelings, etc which makes it the only organ that can affect someone on a spiritual level.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But the physical organ of the brain can affect the emotions, feelings, etc which makes it the only organ that can affect someone on a spiritual level.
Only because it conducts (or misconducts) all physical sensory input. (That is half of the function of a programmable controller.
full
)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Only because it conducts (or misconducts) all physical sensory input. (That is half of the function of a programmable controller.
full
)
Yes but if our choices and understanding of reality is based on our physical sensory input, the function of the brain has a profound affect on our souls. Our decisions impact our spirit and our final destination. I know Christ works his plan in all of our lives, even those with mental disabilities and mental illness, but I think there are some interesting things to think about. If a person has two personalities and one is saved and the other isn’t...what happens then?
if a person with autism or low IQ due to brain malformation can’t really understand verbal or written communication, how can they access the gospel? Some people with low average IQ don’t have the cognitive ability to think through and reason things, they just believe what they are told because their brain can’t conceptualize it not being true. What if people like that are told to become Muslims or Jehovahs witnesses....they will burn in hell because someone lied to them and they can’t think for themselves?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some people with low average IQ don’t have the cognitive ability to think through and reason things, they just believe what they are told because their brain can’t conceptualize it not being true. What if people like that are told to become Muslims or Jehovahs witnesses....they will burn in hell because someone lied to them and they can’t think for themselves?
My personal opinion is that, at some functioning level, they will be considered like a child who hasn't reached the age of accountability.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The heart is not the heart of the body, its our person 'center',
we have heart and mind in our soul. the heart holds your joys and pains, your hate or love etc all and thinks things, its basically our person. its eternal like our soul etc.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You are aware that labelling the heart a pump is itself only a metaphor? It is part of the beloved mechanical metaphors of Medicine, that came into prominence in the last 300 or so years, and I've seen it well-argued to be a consequence of Descartes and the growth of Industrialism. Others are calling the kidneys a filter or the brain a computer. Do not confuse metaphor for fact.

The thing is that we think of the body as if a machine, and organs as components. This is a facile characterisation. The words organic and organ originally meant a part of a whole, that cannot be fully separated. While we may transplant organs, they cannot survive long outside the body; and nor do transplanted organs ever work as well as they originally did. Similarly, if we put someone on cardiopulmonary bypass, the longer they were on it, the poorer their outcomes across the board. An organ cannot function alone. The entirety is required to maintain it, unlike a component or car part. While we divide the body into 'organs' or systems, these are largely imposed constructs, which is why we can declare 'new' organs such as the Omentum or Interstitium.

The heart is a parallel serie of atrioventricular chambers that allow for blood circulation. It is not technically a 'pump' as it doesn't accelerate the blood, nor is it pressure driven; it is more of a flow generator. It cannot be separated from the entire cardiovascular system, as to maintain circulation and blood pressure, we require the aortic windkessel effect, peripheral vascular tone to allow preload of the right atrium, etc. Blood pressure is an effect of cardiac output and systemic vascular resistance, not the beat of the heart (though that does influence the output along with stroke volume). While it has automaticity foci to beat by itself, it is extensively under the parasympathetic and sympathetic nerve supply to have any kind of normal function, that regulates heart rate and contractility. Further, the heart is also an endocrine organ regulating the kidney and fluid balance, a chemoreceptor regulating breathing via partial pressure of carbon dioxide, etc.

No system of the body can be divided from the rest. They are all mutually dependant. What happens in the heart, effects the brain directly, and vice versa. Vascular tone is controlled by the nervous system, for instance, but in turn is affected by stretch and Starling forces in the vasculature itself. That we try and separate the brain as if somehow 'us', is merely artifact of mind/body dualism, that simply fails biologically. That is why we need to use terms such as psychosomatic, to fudge our own metaphors on occassion. Even if we do decide to locate Consciousness there (a dubious proposition, as only neural correlates can be shown, no causation), the brain cannot be separated from the peripheral nerves with which it is not only in communication, but in essence are one unit. So even then, we would be the Nervous system, but that cannot live without the entirety. This would be the same as arguing a single human cell is a 'life' itself, as it is all or nothing. While we can lose parts of a system, if we lose too much, we perish: We can live with a stroke, we can live without a hand - but lose too much brain or too much of the musculoskeletal system, and you will die.

That said, there are more and less important areas. When in Shock (meaning inadequate tissue perfusion, such as in bleeding or hypoxia or so), the body prioritises supply to the brain, heart and kidneys. These organs are also the most sensitive to stress, so we need not read much into that - you'll die of liver failure or dead bowel just as readily, it would just take a bit longer.

What is really going on here is Metonymy. We are using a part or attribute to signify the whole, as when speaking of the Crown while meaning monarchical government. Traditionally, the heart has been used to signify our life or life essence, while today under influence of the mechanical metaphor and Cartesian Dualism, we favour the brain. Both remain merely a metaphor, and not a reality. In many ways, the heart is a much better one: We feel the quickening or slackening of our heartbeat and pulse, we are aware of its actions in our emotional states, and most people are still declared dead ultimately based on a cessation of cardiac function. To substitute the brain, an organ whose effects we mostly are only aware of by proxy, is a bit silly; if not a tad facile, by erecting barriers and assigning functionality we can neither demonstrate nor can act in isolation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it is a metaphor but it's one based on what the heart actually does
As was the metaphor of the heart as seat of personhood, as noted above; based on clear observation of the association of cardiac function with mental states and used as a surrogate for assessing the presence of Life in entirety.

You do seem to be labouring under a misapprehension that we 'know' what the brain does. We really don't, more often than not. As stated before, we have correlated areas with certain functions, but we haven't demonstrated that they arise there. So the difference between that and the correlation between mental states and cardiac function is paper-thin, the only difference being that we are assuming causation or functionality in the one and not in the other, as we have decided the origin lies elsewhere. As stated before, it is all one thing, and if your heart starts racing, you will feel disturbed or giddy - and that may just as well be emotion, or something I injected into your bloodstream reaching the heart. The body systems van be readily differentiated and pathways and feedback mechanisms envisioned on paper, but in-vivo that is a lot harder to demonstrate conclusively. Much of Medicine is done via surrogate markers, and one should remember that fMRI and EEG is exactly that - not direct brain function, but assessing conductivity or electromagnetic fields or so. I have no problem using the brain as a metonymic metaphor for the mind or personhood, but it is a tad presumptious to assume it a more valid one necessarily. I can knock out your consciousness with some propofol or volatile Anaesthetics, or some Ketamine, but we can't actually explain how they do so - and they create radically different end-states. The brain certainly seems to have to do with many of our mental faculties, but how and in what way this is, is still very much an unknown.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As was the metaphor of the heart as seat of personhood, as noted above; based on clear observation of the association of cardiac function with mental states and used as a surrogate for assessing the presence of Life in entirety.

You do seem to be labouring under a misapprehension that we 'know' what the brain does. We really don't, more often than not. As stated before, we have correlated areas with certain functions, but we haven't demonstrated that they arise there. So the difference between that and the correlation between mental states and cardiac function is paper-thin, the only difference being that we are assuming causation or functionality in the one and not in the other, as we have decided the origin lies elsewhere. As stated before, it is all one thing, and if your heart starts racing, you will feel disturbed or giddy - and that may just as well be emotion, or something I injected into your bloodstream reaching the heart. The body systems van be readily differentiated and pathways and feedback mechanisms envisioned on paper, but in-vivo that is a lot harder to demonstrate conclusively. Much of Medicine is done via surrogate markers, and one should remember that fMRI and EEG is exactly that - not direct brain function, but assessing conductivity or electromagnetic fields or so. I have no problem using the brain as a metonymic metaphor for the mind or personhood, but it is a tad presumptious to assume it a more valid one necessarily. I can knock out your consciousness with some propofol or volatile Anaesthetics, or some Ketamine, but we can't actually explain how they do so - and they create radically different end-states. The brain certainly seems to have to do with many of our mental faculties, but how and in what way this is, is still very much an unknown.
Propofol acts on GABA receptors as an agonist, GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, stimulating its receptors inhibits excitory neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, so yeah, it puts the brain in a sedated state. The brain works somewhat like a biological analog computer, it's networking of cells, nerves communicating to each other through electrical action potentials and chemical messengers across synapses from cell to cell, in patterns and different pathways, a memory is pretty much a communication pathway to different parts of the body and different parts of the brain. If you alter the signals by stimulating different receptors, you alter a person's state of consciousness itself. Ketamine is an NMDA receptor (a type of glutamate receptor) inhibitor. Glutamate is another excitory neurotransmitter, you block the brain's ability to send those glutamate signals and it alters your brain's ability to function and consequently, alters consciousness.

The heart races in response to stimuli because of signals sent to it from the brain telling it to do so. Cardiac rhythm is controlled in the brain stem as far as I know. If the brain stem is damaged, the heart can stop.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Propofol acts on GABA receptors as an agonist, GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, stimulating its receptors inhibits excitory neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, so yeah, it puts the brain in a sedated state. The brain works somewhat like a biological analog computer, it's networking of cells, nerves communicating to each other through electrical action potentials and chemical messengers across synapses from cell to cell, in patterns and different pathways, a memory is pretty much a communication pathway to different parts of the body and different parts of the brain. If you alter the signals by stimulating different receptors, you alter a person's state of consciousness itself. Ketamine is an NMDA receptor (a type of glutamate receptor) inhibitor. Glutamate is another excitory neurotransmitter, you block the brain's ability to send those glutamate signals and it alters your brain's ability to function and consequently, alters consciousness.

The heart races in response to stimuli because of signals sent to it from the brain telling it to do so. Cardiac rhythm is controlled in the brain stem as far as I know. If the brain stem is damaged, the heart can stop.
My friend, you are still reading medical metaphor and assuming them real. I in fact, invoked the 'brain is a computer' as another example of a metaphor falsely assumed true earlier. Take receptor and neurotransmitter - we are invoking metaphors taken from Radio or so. Receptors don't receive 'signals' as much as being altered by the molecules. When activated, proteins alter and thus render membranes less or more permeable to ion exchange, for instance.

Similarly, neurons act by complex membrane potentials and electrochemical gradients regulating ion exchange. This is not an electrical signal being conducted, much less a circuit; but is crudely likened to wiring for ease of understanding. Circuits are closed loops, while nerves are one way depolarisations of membranes. Take the various forms of nerve conduction, such as myelinated nerves conducting via nodes of Ranvier - why do demyelinating conditions then disrupt nerves, if they are only 'conducting an impulse'? The metaphor breaks down. There is a broad equivalence in speed of the impulse between myelination and axon thickness, but not wholely so - and further, no nerve merely propogates an action potential, but subtly modifies it. This is why we can run a lignocaine infusion intra-operatively for pain, even though we are using a sodium channel blocking agent that should in fact be completely disrupting all nerve function in the classic sense.

When we get to the Anaesthetic agents, I would ask you if you are aware what GABA receptors do? It is all fine and well to label it inhibitory, but it really isn't so. What is it inhibiting, I ask you? Where are we locating this system, pray? Did you know Propofol and Benzodiazepines may invoke a paradoxical excitatory state? Why is Sodium Thiopentone not anti-emetic if we have similar arm-brain circulatory times for induction of Anaesthesia? Why does Propofol's lipid solubility make such a difference then? What of the Volatiles? Are we invoking 5-angstrom theory, or lipid solubility as absolutes to maintaining Anaesthetic depth? You are aware we have not shown how volatiles induce any neural change, only aware that it does. We even use the alveolar concentration as surrogate, assuming this corresponds to brain levels we have not been able to measure. How does this correspond to Total IV Anaesthesia? Ketamine is in fact excitatory, but creates a dissociative Anaesthetic, yet the end result looks deceptively similar on EEG. We are not merely dealing with 'dirsupting signals', but a dynamic response. If you take the latters ability to modulate wind-up phenomenon in pain, or morphine to limit opiate hyperanalgesia, this is even more plain. The factors are far more complex than you realise, I am afraid.

Let us get to brass tacks. Why do you think we know Propofol acts on GABA receptors? GABA receptors were identified in crayfish and muscle tissue specimens, and shown to be susceptible to chloride solutions and termed inhibitory accordingly and assumed a chloride-gated ligand at play. From this, we extrapolated to in-vivo nerve tissue. We then labelled drugs like Benzodiazepines or used radioligand binding to try and identify them, and later established subtypes. Now we have actually never demonstrated that Propofol actually does bind GABA receptors, but have shown that a mutation in GABA(A) subunit impacts its functioning in mice, and that in vitro albumin solutions identified potential binding sites using x-ray crystallography. Not that I am doubting that propofol acts on GABA related systems in some way, and probably does bind it - but the relation of receptor and substance and calling it merely 'inhibitory' or 'disrupting signals' is utterly facile and substantially flawed. There is debate on what an Anaesthetic even means, and whether or not the states induced by Propofol vs Volatiles vs Ketamine vs Etomidate are even really equivalent.

I am sorry for getting technical here, as I assume you have no medical background. Sufficed to say, just because a physiology textbook labels something an 'inhibitory neurotransmitter', don't assume you know what that necessarily means based on the metaphorical equivalence of 'transmitter' or take that 'inhibitory' at face value. We don't know where Consciousness arises. We cannot demonstrate when Consciousness is present or not, as many studies in awareness under Anaesthesia have demonstrated; or recent Australian trials in BiS monitoring (a form of EEG) and muscle relaxants showed, where we had aware subjects that appeared 'sedated' on EEG. Neural correlates have been found, but nothing even close to causation has been demonstrated. Neural pathways similarly are not so simplistic to label them merely communication pathways and an 'biological computer'. Nerves don't just take input, then run functions and present output, on the most basic level. We are not dealing with a computer except on the level of metaphor, anymore than the heart is a pump.

The heart is controlled by the vagus nerve for parasympathetic responses and the sympathetic chain otherwise, but has its own automaticity foci running from the SA node to the AV node down to the final purkinye fibres. If the brainstem is damaged, the heart takes over itself, dropping its rate lower and lower. The fact that it doesn't need nerve supply absolutely, is why we can transplant it. The heart will race, or not, depending on nerve signals sent to it - but likewise, if I stimulate the heart directly, I can directly impact nerves and the central nervous system. A good example is the Bezold Jarisch reflex from stimuli in the heart, or a vaso-vagal response in general. Again, the body's systems cannot be fully separated, nor do we face an 'act upon/acted by' dynamic, rather a series of complex interactions with usually some form of negative feedback. If the brain is damaged the heart will eventually die, and vice versa. Don't confuse metaphor with reality, no matter how fond we doctors are of describing things by the mechanical metaphors lifted from plumbing or electrics or such.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No it's fine, I do have medical background that's where this question on the euphemism is even a thing, that's why it bothers me that the euphemism is so commonly used, because I do have medical background so it irks me a bit when people use the heart as a seat of consciousness or as a source of emotion or thought.
You do have a point that it's euphemisms and metaphors stacked on top of other euphemisms and metaphors and we use that language to make it easier to understand what they do, a brain is analogous to a computer but it does not work in the same way, I get that.
We don't know everything about pharmacology but we do understand even in many older drugs that have been used traditionally in medicine (when they used it just because it worked and had no idea how), we have some sense of the mechanism at work, and sometimes the effects of a drug are so crazy that we only have the barest hint of the mechanism and the mechanism itself makes no sense to the subjective effects. LSD we only know is a relatively weak partial agonist of several serotonin receptors and 1 dopamine receptor I believe, the main receptor being 5-HT2A, yet despite its weak affinity, short halflife, and how fragile it is as a molecule (destroyed by light, water, heat, you name it, it degrades it), it is one of the most potent by dose chemicals we know and has some of the most profound effects out of any chemical we know, it's quite literally famous because of how profound and life changing (and often life ruining) its effects are, but by just what receptors it targets it shouldn't be that effective, by it's short half life its effects shouldn't be that long lasting or even persistent, affecting them weeks, months, years after the drug has been eliminated from the body, some people have "fried" their brains for life, and it really makes little sense to us how or why.
So I get your point that there is mystery to the brain much less the human body still.
.... but I still don't think the heart is the seat of consciousness or source of thoughts and emotions

Upvote 0

Kevinw05

Kevin White
Oct 28, 2019
Birmingham, AL
✟4,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your heart is the source of your body that feels love. It also feels hate and many other feelings but the human heart when treated right and held important for all of its functions not just for it's vital part it plays in your body, is the most beneficial part of your body when you have your body as a whole. Without your heart it would be impossible to feel love and to fall in love, two things about our world that are reguarded by some of the best things about life itself.

Upvote 0