In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am interested in why CaDan thinks staff "fears" IIDB.

I, personally, don't "fear" IIDB, I do, however, dislike it intensely.

Members there have trashed me since before I even became staff. I do think that the worst things that have ever been said about me in my life were said there. The two times I have gone over and tried to clear up some problems as much as staff can while obeying the confidentiality clause they agree to, I have been flamed, called a liar, and other nice little ditties.

I am not afraid of it, it is just not a nice place to be.

It is a shame that I've witnessed some of that against you and many others, A New Dawn.

Be encourage though, you are loved by God and I would include by me. :hug:

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not trying to just pick on you but IIDB'ers can answer this.
It depends on what is deemed *ministry*.
Can you say that the gospel of Christ is shared regularly there? Are christians REALLY encouraged in the daily walk with Christ everyday? Is those subjects considered *off topic in ~Elsewhere?*
What is the main subject that's talked about there? I know a lot of bashing/lieing/gossip goes on there. I've been sent copies of things that were said about me, while I was on staff that were outright lies. I've been called names too like *tool*. Just glad that I considered myself a *tool* on the right side for God. :)
I know other members/staff who has been talked about and was flamed/lied about that caused hurt. Can you say that that doesn't happen on a regularly basis at ~Elsewhere?
Do members give links to put down other CF members/staff over there for other IIDB members to check out? Do they copy what staff has said, privately in staff forums or in PMs to use against staff members?
Can the members that post at IIDB say, they proudly talk about their sins there and use vulgar language that's not becoming of a christian or lifestyles that goes against scripture?

Can you say what goes on there glorifies & honors God regularly? Would what said other there cause hurt to members & staff if they read what was posted about them?
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you had a chance to make my red beans & rice with sausage recipe yet? :) :wave: :hug:

:hug: :hug: :wave: :wave: Oooooh... I need to give the recipe to NewMan99. He does the cooking. I have the recipe and got side tracked. Then he was trying some other recipes. He was practicing how to make Gumbo at the time... Maybe I should take charge of the kitchen for once and actually give your recipe a try. HUGS. I'm sure it's awesomely tasty.

In regard to answering RED That's Me questions. I don't really believe that any website is a full and complete ministry. No website is a church and no website can provide a full ministry.

A website is what the members and staff make it to be.

The IIDB could be a place for some filled with darkness and heart ache and pain because that is what they see and feel. For another, it can be a place to bring hope and prayers and positive and loving and christlike fellowship to. It can be a place where words of praise and encouragement are given and prayers offered on behalf of those who need prayers... like me and you and everyone. None of us are above needing prayers and words of hope and encouragement and praise.

Is the IIDB (Elsewhere) a perfect place, no. Are there sometimes words that are spoken in a hurtful or angry way... yes, of course, just like any other website.

The only problem that I have with the IIDB is that it is athiest for the most part except for the little corner of Elsewhere. In this little corner, there is this awesome bright light beaming through. We are called to reach out to each other and pray for one another and to have faith, hope and love in our own hearts and for others.

How can we reach out to anyone if we are not willing to. We all are sinners. We all have sins that we struggle with so how can we not reach out to each other or reach out to other websites that may need prayers or encouragment. I'm not saying that the IIDB doesn't have some bad things, or that people haven't been hurt, because obviously... people have been hurt. Obviously, people have been gossiped about, flamed, ridiculed... which has happened here on CF as well.

The IIDB is not a ministry, but there are some folks who have a ministry that go there to reach out.

Jesus came to save the sinners. He fellowshipped with the sinners to reach out to them and to touch their lives in a loving and inspiring way. We are commanded to do the same. Although, we all have different ministries and different ways of reaching out and that is okay too as long as we don't belittle the ministry of others.

Reactions: The Julikenz
Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am staff and I see nothing even remotely credible for your speaking on my behalf. Presumption to do so only gives evidence to what you might cherish or don't cherish.

1. The word "some" was deliberately chosen in the title to keep the statement from being a hasty generalization.

2. Your second sentence may be correct as a matter of general communication theory, but is so vague as to be nonsensical.

The list of what I fear is very short.
What would qualify for my fear... fear coupled with love and hope, and is therefore not a crippling dread, but rather filial reverence. A holy fear is preventive for carelessness in belief, and motivation to penitence. I fear (revere) the Lord, my God.

OK.

As you are well aware, since you moderate for that forum, that site is based on and promotes a Naturalistic or Atheist worldview. Its ideology is inherently in opposition to God, Jesus Christ, Christendom, etc. It isn't a matter of it posing a threat or even having respectable qualities; it is an issue of the principal membership having a recognizable focus and motivation. I make a point to know my surroundings and since this is the Internet, I take note of the site's existence and purpose.

OK.

Fear would not be the word I would choose to summarize that principal membership's mindset.

Principal membership of what? I'm honestly confused here.

In fact, fear would be far from the available descriptors since at times I have visited that site to engage the membership in dialogue. I visit as a stranger in a foreign, hostile and at times vile environment. An environment that many more adjectives might fit, but it would not solicit fear in me.

If you are speaking of the upper level forums, I agree. If you are speaking only of the CF threads in ~Elsewhere~, what makes it different than CF if it is composed of posts by members of CF?

I'm glad I could clear up your confusion about me as a staff member.

You have cleared up some, but created other.

Have a Merry Christmas.
[/quote]

Cool Yule.

Upvote 0

Ruby Moon

Nov 9, 2006
✟8,342.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I posted there for several months and had more positive experiences than negative.

There IS a lot of true fellowship and prayer happening there. It doesn't claim to be a ministry but I'd say it is one anyway.

Most members that post there, even the ones that only flyby to make nasty posts, aren't harassed as they can be here. Does that mean there is no flaming ever? Nope. But people do apologize there and they generally mean it when they do. I've seen lots of peace made over there.

BUT there is also a lot of childish fighting that takes place. Some is started by IIDB members venting about a CF staffer but more often it is a staffer coming in an basically disrespecting everyone in sight and making people feel bad for even posting there. People are people no matter where you go I guess.

Just respect one another no matter where you are. If you are a nice poster on one board and a nasty hateful one on another...chances are it isn't the board but yourself.

Having said all that, I finally left for two reasons. One it is a fast-paced thread and I really have trouble keeping up with it while I'm at work. Second, the fighting that takes place between what really is just a select few brings the reading from the drama meter just a bit high for my blood pressure.

Moral of the story, everybody just be nice and try respecting one another! You can do it. We ALL can.
:wave:

If I ever made a nasty post towards anyone reading this over there, I extend my apologies now. It's never too late to say sorry!
walkswithchrist, you're post is beautiful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianCenturion

Veteran / Tuebor
Feb 9, 2005
In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. The word "some" was deliberately chosen in the title to keep the statement from being a hasty generalization...

Perhaps, but I do know that the word "some" is sometimes used as a weasel word. :D

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
BUT there is also a lot of childish fighting that takes place. Some is started by IIDB members venting about a CF staffer but more often it is a staffer coming in an basically disrespecting everyone in sight and making people feel bad for even posting there. People are people no matter where you go I guess.

:doh:

I wouldn't say I have ever seen any staffer come in and disrespect everyone in sight, but then I haven't been over in a while. But even if they did, why do you think they did it? (Hint -- People just don't do things in vacuums.)

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The two times I have gone over and tried to clear up some problems as much as staff can while obeying the confidentiality clause they agree to, I have been flamed, called a liar, and other nice little ditties.

I am not afraid of it, it is just not a nice place to be.

I think I perhaps first interacted with you in one of those thread there. We didn't flame each other but we didn't see eye to eye about something (I've since forgotten what that something was).

Since then I have had the opportunity to get to know you when you weren't arguing with me ^_^ and I am very glad to have had that opportunity because without it I would have had a really wrong idea of what you are like.

That is to say, what the staff see--here or in IIDB--is only part of the picture, and it is sad when we filter out the good. For example, I have seen GOOD things posted about RED is ME in IIDB but maybe someone only showed her the bad things :(

We all need to know one another more fully.

Upvote 0

Addicted2~Jesus

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Texas
✟13,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
:doh:

I wouldn't say I have ever seen any staffer come in and disrespect everyone in sight, but then I haven't been over in a while. But even if they did, why do you think they did it? (Hint -- People just don't do things in vacuums.)

Oh yeah.... it's ALWAYS the members fault, ALWAYS members bein this that er the other. Staff would NEVER intentionally stir trouble ANYWHERE.....

I'm not a member over there, but I've lurked a bit from time to time. Cain't say as I approve, but at the same time, I haven't approved of CF in months.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why exactly would you characterize it as fear?

It seems to me to be a relatively adequate description. If a CF member who is also a poster in ~E~ gets into a dispute with CF Staff, it is common for that person's posting in ~E~ to be mentioned by CF Staff.

Further, at one point, CF Staff were banned by CF upper Staff from posting in ~E~.

Further, murron's resignation thread (and the "I agrees" posted in response to it) tend to show fear of "takeover" of CF by IIDB.

Further, concern about "leaks" of Sooper Seekrit Staff Stuff tend to be focused on whether or not it is discussed in ~E~. I do not see similar concern about it being discussed in other places on the web or in IMs or emails.

Further, the testimony of former CF Staff members who post in ~E~--especially those who have "been stepped down"--is that their managers tend to look upon their posting in ~E~ as a liability and something to be discouraged.

It seems to me that fear is as good an hypothesis as any to explain these reactions. If you have some other hypothesis, I am willing to hear it.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a member over there, but I've lurked a bit from time to time. Cain't say as I approve, but at the same time, I haven't approved of CF in months.

One has to be a member in order to lurk on the IIDB/Elsewhere thread.

Reactions: herev
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.