Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would seem that those who are afraid of IIDB also tend to be the ones that are afraid of Liberal Christians

I haven't seen one single person in the thread say they're 'afraid' of iidb. I've seen exactly the opposite. And I've read every single post in this thread.

Upvote 0

Bamboo_Chicken

Once a Steffi, forever a Bamboo Chicken
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2004
New South Wales
Visit site
✟39,912.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
can't we all just get along and see that we have different opinions and views on things?

Yes people go off site to air their dirty laundry, while others do it on site. One side is not out to get the other and likewise the other way around. Though at times yes it does feel like that. Everyone has an opinion and it should be seen as that, an opinion you don't have to agree with the, but raither respect them for their opinion.

Right now this thread has somewhat gotten off topic.

The answer is some people do not like things that are different from their world view, thus do not like out side sites. That is not within their comfort zone, some people are willing to reach out and test their comfort zones, but that does not mean that they accept the views of the world outside their zone, they just want to be stewards of their gifts. Again I am not speaking for everyone or anyone, just generalities.

BTW I am more afraid of the children on my bus than what someone on this site or another could ever say to me.
I can add nothing more :).

Upvote 0
CaDan said:
Lovely ad hominems. Too bad they are merely insults and not arguments.
I asked simple yes/no answers. We're not in a courtroom and I don't have a legal degree. It doesn't take much to see you come across as avoiding to really answer my questions.

CaDan said:
Implicit claim: CF Staff members who post there are not in their right mind. Logical deduction from that claim: nyj, herev, A New Dawn, stumpjumper, and many others are not in their right mind.

What was that about slander earlier?

You twisted my words. Ask those you listed if they LIKE being lied about, & personally attacked over at IIDB. I bet the answer is no. Those staff members are very smart IMO and don't like being lied about, maligned, attacked.

Upvote 0
EdmundBlackadderTheThird said:
I guess Christ shouldn't have eaten at that filthy tax collector's house or let that hideous harlot bathe his feet. What a horrible example for us a Christians to follow.

You're absolutely right. Scripture does say that Jesus ate with tax collector and sinners. What you won't find is scripture saying that Jesus lied, maligned, gossiped about christians & had a potty mouth at those sinner's houses.
Several of the IIDB'ers/CF'ers have used this to defend their posting at IIDB.
Jesus did show more compassion towards sinners. He fellowshipped with them to reach them, not to show them the same style of life they were already living.
The same Bible you're reading about Jesus with the sinners & republicans also talks about he also tore into christians who didn't live by the commandments/rules God has given us. Jesus expected more of the christians than he did the sinners/nonchristians.

There's nothing wrong with fellowshipping with sinners but a christians shouldn't sin while doing it. Lying, maligning, gossiping, potty mouths shouldn't be part of a christians life anymore. Those that use the *Jesus ate with sinners* to excuse their behavior should read further in scripture to find out what he expects on the lifestyle of a true christian.
People shouldn't get mad at christians trying to be Christ like. It's not that some have a holier than thou attitude, they just trying to live Christ like in their words & actions. What some really don't like is having to conform to God's standards of living for christians really.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
That's O.K. Miss Shelby.
I just don't want everybody to think I am somebody I'm not, not for poor Latreia to be accused of being somebody she isn't.

And I don't want IIDB running away with the thought that CF Staff are treated well by CF Staff either.

Hi. THis has been intriguing, and I'm wondering about something you said earlier, about someone perhaps dying because of posting on some message board? What was up with that? If this is a topic you have been asked not to discuss I'll understand, that just was such an extraordinary statement and I missed whatever followup conversation there was to it. :) Or are you retracting it?

Upvote 0

nifty2

Sep 10, 2006
Sweden
✟15,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi. THis has been intriguing, and I'm wondering about something you said earlier, about someone perhaps dying because of posting on some message board? What was up with that? If this is a topic you have been asked not to discuss I'll understand, that just was such an extraordinary statement and I missed whatever followup conversation there was to it. :) Or are you retracting it?
Indeed someone did as has been stated. I retract nothing. It has been made public, I have nothing to add.

Upvote 0

nifty2

Sep 10, 2006
Sweden
✟15,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What is that to you?

.What was up with that?

Please explain? There is alot wrong with that.

You think it is not possible for a person to have a fatal heart attack at a computer when seeing things bad said about them?

Upvote 0
R

RigalCygnos

Originally Posted by EdmundBlackadderTheThird
"I guess Christ shouldn't have eaten at that filthy tax collector's house or let that hideous harlot bathe his feet. What a horrible example for us a Christians to follow."

You're absolutely right. Scripture does say that Jesus ate with tax collector and sinners. What you won't find is scripture saying that Jesus lied, maligned, gossiped about christians & had a potty mouth at those sinner's houses.
Several of the IIDB'ers/CF'ers have used this to defend their posting at IIDB.
Jesus did show more compassion towards sinners. He fellowshipped with them to reach them, not to show them the same style of life they were already living.
The same Bible you're reading about Jesus with the sinners & republicans also talks about he also tore into christians who didn't live by the commandments/rules God has given us. Jesus expected more of the christians than he did the sinners/nonchristians.

There's nothing wrong with fellowshipping with sinners but a christians shouldn't sin while doing it. Lying, maligning, gossiping, potty mouths shouldn't be part of a christians life anymore. Those that use the *Jesus ate with sinners* to excuse their behavior should read further in scripture to find out what he expects on the lifestyle of a true christian.
People shouldn't get mad at christians trying to be Christ like. It's not that some have a holier than thou attitude, they just trying to live Christ like in their words & actions. What some really don't like is having to conform to God's standards of living for christians really.

Strong, calm Christians who know what message of truth the scriptures are conveying seem more like my idea of what Christ was like among His followers.

This contrasts so clearly with the bombastic styles in the confrontational arrogance of those who attack merely for display of their debate techniques intended for conquest, not truth.

Wouldn't you like to know what Bible version EBATT was reading; I mean, phrasing like that is so impressive.
When another member approaches one with manners less subtle than Godzilla, it gives one pause.

Made me feel like Bambi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpBkc2jK-6w

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask those you listed if they LIKE being lied about, & personally attacked over at IIDB. I bet the answer is no. Those staff members are very smart IMO and don't like being lied about, maligned, attacked.

People can get flamed anywhere. It happens here, it happens elsewhere, and it happens at home.

I just had to put my five year old on timeout for flaming his sister by calling her dummy. He got a warning for 2.1 :D

Point being that I don't see insulting others as being something this is exclusive to the elsewhere thread or something that has been promoted there... It happens here just as much as 90% of the warnings/infractions I give out in the Christians Only Theology section are for flaming!

I have been annoyed in some of the discussions at CF, felt the situation was being portrayed lopsidedly, and felt that I was responding to an unfair characterization of CF as a whole but I don't feel that I have been personally attacked there...

I have been personally attacked here in PM responses to official staff actions though... The elsewhere thread exists because there are aspects of CF that people like to discuss and do it at another site because such a place does not exist here, IMHO.

Now I'm off to our Christmas pageant rehearsal. Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
People can get flamed anywhere. It happens here, it happens elsewhere, and it happens at home.

I just had to put my five year old on timeout for flaming his sister by calling her dummy. He got a warning for 2.1 :D

Point being that I don't see insulting others as being something this is exclusive to the elsewhere thread or something that has been promoted there... It happens here just as much as 90% of the warnings/infractions I give out in the Christians Only Theology section are for flaming!

I have been annoyed in some of the discussions at CF, felt the situation was being portrayed lopsidedly, and felt that I was responding to an unfair characterization of CF as a whole but I don't feel that I have been personally attacked there...

I have been personally attacked here in PM responses to official staff actions though... The elsewhere thread exists because there are aspects of CF that people like to discuss and do it at another site because such a place does not exist here, IMHO.

Now I'm off to our Christmas pageant rehearsal. Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

Are you in the pageant or in charge of it? I'm the latter, with 21 kids ages 2 to 10 performing. :swoon: ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
What is that to you?

.What was up with that?

You think it is not possible for a person to have a fatal heart attack at a computer when seeing things bad said about them?

Is this post to me?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There's nothing wrong with fellowshipping with sinners but a christians shouldn't sin while doing it. Lying, maligning, gossiping, potty mouths shouldn't be part of a christians life anymore.

I can agree with this except for maligning and potty mouths because they are very subjective and not easily quantified.

It's not that some have a holier than thou attitude,

I believe some do have a holier than thou attitude but again this is also very subjective and not easily quantified.

What some really don't like is having to conform to God's standards of living for christians really.

See my opinion would be that the above statement has that tone of "holier than thou". How do you know that people don't like conforming to God's standards? And what that really boils down to is people don't conform to your belief/understanding/interpretation of what God's standards are.

Upvote 0
R

RigalCygnos

What is that to you?

.What was up with that?

This is so tragic. The most terrible thing to imagine.

Knowing that one had done such a thing to another person just out of vile spite is unspeakable.

I know that I am going to keep this image in my mind from now on when I post. God forbid I could ever be the cause of such harm with my words.

My most sincere sympathy and prayers. That must have also been a very good person to have been so stricken. One whose heart had long been hard tasked, most likely through service to others.

icon2.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nifty2

Sep 10, 2006
Sweden
✟15,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is so tragic. The most terrible thing to imagine.

Knowing that one had done such a thing to another person just out of vile spite is unspeakable.

I know that I am going to keep this image in my mind from now on when I post. God forbid I could ever be the cause of such harm with my words.

My most sincere sympathy and prayers. That must have also been a very good person to have been so stricken. One whose heart had long been hard tasked, most likely through service to others.

icon2.gif
Very nice words Rigal Cygnos. It happens. In this case it should not have, Thank you.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Of course?

I'm sorry, I wasn't sure if there were questions to me or if you were quoting part of my post and part of someone else's post. The quote feature does not seem to be working properly on this post.

I do have a hard time believeing that someone from here went to another site and read an insult that caused them to drop dead from a heart attack. Was this recent? It seems that if it was a staff member the administrators at least would have been notified in some way. It is a very strange story, because there are very few details.

Peace be with you. :prayer:

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

And even if one did exist here, people would still go over to IIDB and complain and kvetch because they wouldn't be allowed to speak like they like (profanity-wise, flaming-wise, and all the other "wise"s that the rules prevent).

Upvote 0

nifty2

Sep 10, 2006
Sweden
✟15,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I wasn't sure if there were questions to me or if you were quoting part of my post and part of someone else's post. The quote feature does not seem to be working properly on this post.

I do have a hard time believeing that someone from here went to another site and read an insult that caused them to drop dead from a heart attack. Was this recent? It seems that if it was a staff member the administrators at least would have been notified in some way. It is a very strange story, because there are very few details.

Peace be with you. :prayer:
And may peace be with you.
I do not know how to use the quote things and so the best I can.
You can believe as you will, nobody has asked you to believe or disbelieve.
I will say no more on this subject due to this "disbelief"?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.