Why is marriage incompatible in order to have a life dedicated to God?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Marriage shouldn't be a barrier to full-time service of God. In fact, if both partners have the same calling, they should be able to support each other in their common ministry. I know a number of married couples who are both priests, or both missionaries, or both lay people who devote significant hours to Christian service. Some of these couples have children, even.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If both have the same call and do not have children, they can devote all their time to work for the Lord, right? Is there a reason why marriage makes it impossible to dedicate full time to God?
The Protestant churches do not discriminate against married individuals. Married people may serve in the church as pastors, preachers, ministers or priests. Peter was married. In Matthew 8:14-15, Jesus went to heal his mother-in-law who was sick with a fever. Paul wrote the other apostles had wives to accompany them.

Single men were selected to serve as priests in the Roman Catholic Church. Jesus and Paul were not married.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If both have the same call and do not have children, they can devote all their time to work for the Lord, right? Is there a reason why marriage makes it impossible to dedicate full time to God?

Wives tend to get in the way of a lot of things. It's difficult to spend 8 to 10 hours a day in prayer when you have family obligations.

Upvote 0

Northbrook

No sé vivir sin Dios
Jul 19, 2018
Chicago
✟39,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This one is making me think of something Gandhi always used to say about his mother. Evidently, Gandhi’s mother was a devout Hindu who always managed to observe the fasts, recite the prayers, and go to the temple despite having a husband and four children. Gandhi admired his mother very much and always used to cite her as an example of how YOU CAN DO IT MARRIED!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, there is no such reason.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wives tend to get in the way of a lot of things. It's difficult to spend 8 to 10 hours a day in prayer when you have family obligations.
To clarify, what able-bodied people are able to spend 8 to 10 hours a day in prayer? From my understanding, even monks have lots of work to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've always worried that marriage would make my devotion to God more difficult. As a single person, I'm not bound by responsibilities to someone and can use that time to read and study the Bible. My problem is that it is excruciatingly lonely without a companion, but the dichotomy is that I feel it would take time away from serving the Lord to my fullest capacity. I don't know what to do. It feels very sad to be in caught between these two scenarios.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Depends on the other responsibilities and the call on the other person's life.

A couple may have the same call but one of them have other responsibilities that requires much of their time...such as having
guardianship of a special needs child who has medical issues and
goes to the doctors several times a week.
I know a lady who had to assume care/guardianship of her young
special needs cousin.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Celibacy is not mandatory in the Church, everyone has different callings. I feel called to be a wife, but not a mother. My husband shares the same calling to not have children.

And how do you think "but not a mother" would have panned out 2000 years back, long before the pill, abstinence maybe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Raising children is the work of the Lord (Genesis 9:7). Being married is the work of the Lord (Mark 10:7-9). Earning an income is the work of the Lord (Ephesians 4:28). The beginning of Matthew 28:19 doesn't translate well into English, but what it means is, as you go, the implication (to me) being "as you go about your life..."

Therefore, as you go, disciple people in all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I’ve commanded you. And remember, I am with you each and every day until the end of the age. (Matthew 28:19-20, ISV)

And then, of course:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. (Colossians 3:23-24, 1984 NIV)

To inform you of the work the Lord wants you to do—ask Him. In lieu of a clear answer, discover what gift(s) the Lord has given you, and use them according to his nature (revealed in Scripture) and what He commanded in Scripture (e.g., advance His kingdom).

Upvote 0