UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because "Godly fire" purifies good by destroying bad. The proverbial wheat and chaff; the chaff being devoured by fire. The indwelling of God(love: 1 John 4:8) through the Word of God(which is God: John 1:1) purifies, burning away all that is not of love. Words are used as fire which purifies: which is why we see fire proceeding out of mouths in apocalyptic and prophetic literature:

De 5:5 (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the word of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount)
Jer 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD;

Lu 12:49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

Isa 30:27 Behold, the name of the LORD cometh from far, burning with his anger, and the burden thereof is heavy: his lips are full of indignation, and his tongue as a devouring fire:
Jas 3:5-6 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jas 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing.

Jer 5:14 Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.

Re 11:5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies:
Re 9:17-18 and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone. By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Plato tells us in the Timeaus (and Philo agrees) that the ancient mindset was that, to achieve creation, God separated the primordial elements of earth, water, air, and fire. Since fire is the lightest it rose to the top. Earth is heaviest so it is at the bottom (technically in the center, no one seriously believed in a flat earth, whatever you have been told), covered by the next heaviest (water) and finally be the next heaviest (air). We live on the earth, as far from heaven as possible. God lives at the top, and the matter surrounding that is fire, since it is at the top.

The Internet Classics Archive | Timaeus by Plato Use CTL+F to search "fire"; it's a lot of reading
Philo: On the Creation paragraph 7 and following to see the adaptation to the OT

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Because "Godly fire" purifies good by destroying bad. The proverbial wheat and chaff; the chaff being devoured by fire. The indwelling of God(love: 1 John 4:8) through the Word of God(which is God: John 1:1) purifies, burning away all that is not of love. Words are used as fire which purifies: which is why we see fire proceeding out of mouths in apocalyptic and prophetic literature:

De 5:5 (I stood between the LORD and you at that time, to shew you the word of the LORD: for ye were afraid by reason of the fire, and went not up into the mount)
Jer 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD;

Lu 12:49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

Isa 30:27 Behold, the name of the LORD cometh from far, burning with his anger, and the burden thereof is heavy: his lips are full of indignation, and his tongue as a devouring fire:
Jas 3:5-6 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jas 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing.

Jer 5:14 Wherefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, Because ye speak this word, behold, I will make my words in thy mouth fire, and this people wood, and it shall devour them.

Re 11:5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies:
Re 9:17-18 and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone. By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.

Interesting reply. There are definitely different aspects of fire that I think can represent different ways that God acts. Another thing that I would add is that fire is a very intense thing, which probably represents the intensity of God's power or maybe the intensity of his morality. Fire is also certainly powerful and that can represent the morality of God.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting reply. There are definitely different aspects of fire that I think can represent different ways that God acts. Another thing that I would add is that fire is a very intense thing, which probably represents the intensity of God's power or maybe the intensity of his morality. Fire is also certainly powerful and that can represent the morality of God.

Definitely intense!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are Orthodox writers who understand the love of God as fire.

If God IS love, and consider the sheer intensity of God Himself.

The only Scripture I can think of offhand that says what God "is" aside from "God is love" is "our God is a consuming fire".

It also puts a whole new understanding on torment experienced by those who hate God. He still loves them, you know.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
From Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia

In Zoroastrianism, water (apo, aban) and fire (atar, azar) are agents of ritual purity, and the associated purification ceremonies are considered the basis of ritual life. In Zoroastrian cosmogony, water and fire are respectively the second and last primordial elements to have been created, and scripture considers fire to have its origin in the waters. Both water and fire are considered life-sustaining, and both water and fire are represented within the precinct of a fire temple. Zoroastrians usually pray in the presence of some form of fire (which can be considered evident in any source of light), and the culminating rite of the principle act of worship constitutes a "strengthening of the waters". Fire is considered a medium through which spiritual insight and wisdom is gained, and water is considered the source of that wisdom.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
From Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia

In Zoroastrianism, water (apo, aban) and fire (atar, azar) are agents of ritual purity, and the associated purification ceremonies are considered the basis of ritual life. In Zoroastrian cosmogony, water and fire are respectively the second and last primordial elements to have been created, and scripture considers fire to have its origin in the waters. Both water and fire are considered life-sustaining, and both water and fire are represented within the precinct of a fire temple. Zoroastrians usually pray in the presence of some form of fire (which can be considered evident in any source of light), and the culminating rite of the principle act of worship constitutes a "strengthening of the waters". Fire is considered a medium through which spiritual insight and wisdom is gained, and water is considered the source of that wisdom.

I think that it's incorrect to go to another religion to find out why fire symbolizes God. I think that we either have to think about the nature of fire itself or what's said in the Bible.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that it's incorrect to go to another religion to find out why fire symbolizes God. I think that we either have to think about the nature of fire itself or what's said in the Bible.

Symbolism can carry across culture and religions. I am convinced that Judaism and Christianity has borrowed much from nearby nations particularly Persia, Egypt and Greece.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Symbolism can carry across culture and religions. I am convinced that Judaism and Christianity has borrowed much from nearby nations particularly Persia, Egypt and Greece.

So you believe that the OT was written by human authors, then, and not divinely inspired?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
* Meanwhile Moses was tending the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. Leading the flock beyond the wilderness, he came to the mountain of God, Horeb.** appeared to him as fire flaming out of a bush.aWhen he looked, although the bush was on fire, it was not being consumed.b* he continued, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.c Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

It is interesting that while in several places in the Bible God is described as a consuming fire, in his appearance to Moses, the bush was not consumed.​

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not convinced that scripture sets up fire to be a symbol of God. I do acknowledge that God has come with fire on occasion. More times though, he has come in human appearance.

If one wishes to make an association of fire to God, the best would be the sun, which many religions have worshiped; the sun being the greatest, brightest, warmest fire all on earth can see. It sustains our life, yet we take it for granted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I am not convinced that scripture sets up fire to be a symbol of God. I do acknowledge that God has come with fire on occasion. More times though, he has come in human appearance.

If one wishes to make an association of fire to God, the best would be the sun, which many religions have worshiped; the sun being the greatest, brightest, warmest fire all on earth can see. It sustains our life, yet we take it for granted.

So then why is fire so often associated with God in Scripture? There's unquestionably a common theme here throughout all of Scripture.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has God ever been associated with the Sun in Scripture?
Off hand, I can't recall a passage that makes that association.
There are numerous comparisons of the glory of God to the sun and that God does shine on us and Jesus is the light of the world. If even angels shine so brightly, then even more so of God.
Matthew 28:2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.

Further, even men have glowed in the glory of God.
Exodus 34:30 So when Aaron and all the sons of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him.

Acts 6:15 All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that
his face was like the face of an angel.

Then there is the glory of God.
Ezekiel 43:2 and I saw the glory of the God of Israel coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters, and the land was radiant with his glory.

Luke 2: 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and
the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.

Matthew 17:2 And He was transfigured before them; and
His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.

And the blessing of God.
Numbers 6:25 The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you;

Saul/Paul was blinded by the light of Jesus in his glory.
Acts 26:13 About noon, King Agrippa, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions.

But, the best associations of the sun and God are in end times prophecies.
Isaiah 60:19 The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the Lord will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory.

Revelation 1:16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword.
His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

Revelation 21:23
The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

Revelation 22:5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for
the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

Revelation 22:16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and
the bright Morning Star.”

• Informative
Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then why is fire so often associated with God in Scripture? There's unquestionably a common theme here throughout all of Scripture.
I would say there is a much stronger association and comparison of God with the sun/bright light as I have quoted and there are many more. Feel free to quote scripture and explain a stronger association of God to fire and answer your OP question.

Upvote 0