WHY is homosexuality a sin?

MemeBuster

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2005
✟2,698.00
Faith
Other Religion
So, I guess the question is why does homosexuality displeases god?

Here's my answer, which I think is quite plausible.

Homosexuality displeases the Christian god because it displeased men who created the Christian god in their own image.

And there is plenty of [circumstantial] evidence that the Christian god is man-made. For example, I think we can agree that a real god would not condone the heinous practice of slavery, but a man-made god created by men who practiced slavery woud condone and promote slavery. The Christian god condones and promotes slavery.

MB.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Because to the Bronze Age Israelites, having children was paramount when most didn't live past 35-40, and certain homosexual practices were associated with rival tribes. To engage in such practices would be breaking the first commandment and would be betraying your tribe/family/culture/ancestors.

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Gentle, how've you been?

I know, how little they understand "God' nor will they.

There, there. More and more, I am convinced that the Lord God and the Fundamentalist God are not the same entity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie V

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2004
New Jersey
✟16,611.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is god against gay acts and lifestyle is it doesn't hurt anyone? We don't try to outlaw it because it doesn't hurt anyone. So why is god so against it?

Okay, I'm personally in favor of gay rights being an ultra-liberal Christian, but let me try to give you a reason it's a sin.

All right, here's one. I'd have tried to come up with more reasons, but I don't have the time right now..

Jesus, who never once mentioned homosexuality, spoke hundreds of times about feeding the poor, clothing the naked, helping those in need, etc. You know, all the things that many right-wing preachers rarely talk about. Now, while people are busy being homosexual, certainly, they're not feeding the poor and doing all those other things. That is sinful. Neither are people doing those things when they're busy being heterosexual, which makes heterosexuality equally sinful, but that's besides the point.

Charlie

Upvote 0

czoz

Feb 15, 2007
✟15,129.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay, I'm personally in favor of gay rights being an ultra-liberal Christian, but let me try to give you a reason it's a sin.

All right, here's one. I'd have tried to come up with more reasons, but I don't have the time right now..

Jesus, who never once mentioned homosexuality, spoke hundreds of times about feeding the poor, clothing the naked, helping those in need, etc. You know, all the things that many right-wing preachers rarely talk about. Now, while people are busy being homosexual, certainly, they're not feeding the poor and doing all those other things. That is sinful. Neither are people doing those things when they're busy being heterosexual, which makes heterosexuality equally sinful, but that's besides the point.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie vbmenu_register("postmenu_32000793", true); for your reply.

With all due respect, that doesn't answer my question either.

The point that you raise that heterosexuality is equaly sinful is the perfect answer to why your previous point is falacious.

Considering the pain that is suffered by gay people who are told that their ongoing feelings are sinful, may I sugest it is only fair that Christians take the time to ask WHY it is sinful?

Upvote 0

Charlie V

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2004
New Jersey
✟16,611.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Considering the pain that is suffered by gay people who are told that their ongoing feelings are sinful, may I sugest it is only fair that Christians take the time to ask WHY it is sinful?

I thought you would understand my meaning, and that I'm on your side.

So let me tell you in plain language.

I'm not a Christian who can tell you "why it's sinful," because I don't believe that it is sinful. At all.

Do you think I'm required to believe it's sinful to be a Christian?

My sister-in-law is also Christian, and so is her lesbian partner, and they and their two children (one from previous marriage, one from artificial insemination) KNOW it's not sinful. Why would it be sinful that they have a PERFECTLY NORMAL, average family, just one which happens to have two women head of housholds?

Is, "It is not sinful in the eyes of this Christian" an unacceptable answer to you?

Charlie

PS. My previous post made the added point that Christians should focus on that which is actually sinful, like neglecting the poor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Ah, sorry, I understand you now.

So how do you reconcile the fact that the bible and mainstream religions are so much against homosexuality?

I believe that cult prostitution can explain all of the references to homosexual activity in the Bible (with the exception of an attempted gang rape/murder). After this practice disappeared and was forgotten for about a thousand years, some Christians appropriated these verses to support their prejudices.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the "cult prostitution" reference.

In the ancient world, it was common for a fertility cult to include sleeping with temple prostitutes as part of fertility rituals. Often the prostitutes included males. The problem of the Israelites resorting to male cult prostitutes recurs throughout the OT (temple prostitutes,temple prostitute).

Is the bible wrong?

No. People's understanding of the Bible is wrong.

Upvote 0