Why is Contraception Considered Morally Acceptable?

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are saying that you believe there are people of strong faith who generally believe that God's Will should be left out of our major decisions?

Yes. Or that their view of God's will is different than yours. Or that various gods have conflicting wills. Or that gods are irrelevant to life here on earth. Or that they don't exist in the first place.

Religious faith is a lot broader than you're trying to make it out to be.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You are saying that you believe there are people of strong faith who generally believe that God's Will should be left out of our major decisions?
Not necessarily. I meant more that they may disagree with you about what God's Will is. Some may feel that God gave us the brains to develop medications such as birth control that help people. Others may feel that God is calling them to adopt but doesn't wish for them to have a sexless marriage.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In post 1105, you said that abstaining from sex is an action.

Nope. What's this, like 3 times I've tried to correct you here. What purpose do you think ignoring my answers is going to accomplish?

I'll reiterate. NFP is more than just randomly forgetting to have sex one day. It requires monitoring, planning, record keeping, and various other actions which end up in a conscious decision to only have sex at certain times with the express intention and purpose of preventing pregnancy. In other words, it is a method of contraception.

I shouldn't have to explain how NFP works to you, but it seems you conveniently forget things you've written in the past when it suits you.

By your argument, the pill isn't doesn't act as a contraceptive since not doing something (in this case, allowing a fertilized egg to develop) isn't an act at all. Is that really the stand you want to make here?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Called to Jesus Through Mary
Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. What's this, like 3 times I've tried to correct you here. What purpose do you think ignoring my answers is going to accomplish?

I'll reiterate. NFP is more than just randomly forgetting to have sex one day. It requires planning and various other actions which end up in a conscious decision to only have sex at certain times with the express intention and purpose of preventing pregnancy. In other words, it is a method of contraception.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you, but it seems you conveniently forget things you've written in the past when it suits you.

By your argument, the pill isn't doesn't act as a contraceptive since not doing something (in this case, allowing a fertilized egg to develop) isn't an act at all. Is that really the stand you want to make here?

Well in post 1005 you did say that abstaining from sex is an action. But i take you you are now saying that it is not an action, but that it still involves the intention to avoid pregnancy.

Is there a difference between abstaining from sex during the fertile period, to avoid pregnancy because one has lost their job, and having sex using a condom because one simply doesn't want children?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. I meant more that they may disagree with you about what God's Will is. Some may feel that God gave us the brains to develop medications such as birth control that help people. Others may feel that God is calling them to adopt but doesn't wish for them to have a sexless marriage.

So if people with strong faith believe that God should play a role in all our decisions, especially major ones, should be be allowed a role in the tremendous issue of whether an act of sex should result in a conception?

As far as birth control helping people: how do you know it helps people?

Upvote 0

Ascended

Jul 6, 2012
✟7,696.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
So if people with strong faith believe that God should play a role in all our decisions, especially major ones, should be be allowed a role in the tremendous issue of whether an act of sex should result in a conception?

So it's ok that I got a vasectomy without having children? I have strong faith, prayerfully considered this, and my wife and I do not feel called to be parents or have the desire to be parents.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So it's ok that I got a vasectomy without having children? I have strong faith, prayerfully considered this, and my wife and I do not feel called to be parents or have the desire to be parents.

I believe I asked you before: is it God who creates humans, or humans who create humans. I'm glad you have a strong faith. I think that our faith is expressed in the area of sexuality by not contracepting, and thus allowing God a part in the decision of when a child should enter the world.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You're going in circles again. Some would say that his role is giving us free will, or giving us the brains to develop medications that can make our lives easier. I'm not sure what you want from them. Surely you don't expect them to wait for a voice to boom from the heavens. Respect their interpretation and their right to live accordingly, as they respect your right to do so.
I think that our faith is expressed in the area of sexuality by not contracepting, and thus allowing God a part in the decision of when a child should enter the world.
Certain other Christians might say that there's no basis for this and that God doesn't care about having control over this any more than he cares what I eat for breakfast.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're going in circles again. Some would say that his role is giving us free will, or giving us the brains to develop medications that can make our lives easier. I'm not sure what you want from them. Surely you don't expect them to wait for a voice to boom from the heavens. Respect their interpretation and their right to live accordingly, as they respect your right to do so.

Certain other Christians might say that there's no basis for this and that God doesn't care about having control over this any more than he cares what I eat for breakfast.

You are comparing the matter of whether a child should enter the world to the matter of what one eats for breakfast?

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well in post 1005 you did say that abstaining from sex is an action.

I didn't write post 1005.

Is there a difference between abstaining from sex during the fertile period, to avoid pregnancy because one has lost their job, and having sex using a condom because one simply doesn't want children?

You ignored my entire post again. Go figure.

But yeah, obviously the two couples have different motivations for using birth control and chose to use different types of contraception. What's your point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0