Why is Contraception Considered Morally Acceptable?

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes I do. People who are not ready to have a child, not wanting to have a child or not financially capable of having a child should be able to protect themselves from having one.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most contraception is non-abortifacient and I don't think it poses an issue. Some people have good reasons for not having children and it is not an easy choice to make when you want them. We would like a child, but my husband has a genetic condition that has a very high chance of being passed on. All of my nieces and nephews on his side have wound up with it, and it is not easy to live with. We may still adopt, but that is also not an easy decision to make either.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

patricius79

Called to Jesus Through Mary
Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I do. People who are not ready to have a child, not wanting to have a child or not financially capable of having a child should be able to protect themselves from having one.

Okay. Why not simply avoid sex, then?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most contraception is non-abortifacient and I don't think it poses an issue. Some people have good reasons for not having children and it is not an easy choice to make when you want them. We would like a child, but my husband has a genetic condition that has a very high chance of being passed on. All of my nieces and nephews on his side have wound up with it, and it is not easy to live with. We may still adopt, but that is also not an easy decision to make either.

I'm sorry for your challenges. My wife and I have health issues also. Anyway, why do you believe that most contraception is non-abortifacient?

Also, since you are Orthodox, weren't the early Church fathers vehemently opposed to contraception?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Married people should not have to avoid sex.
I'm sorry for your challenges. My wife and I have health issues also. Anyway, why do you believe that most contraception is non-abortifacient?

Also, since you are Orthodox, weren't the early Church fathers vehemently opposed to contraception?

I've sat through more than one pharmacology class. I believe most contraception is non-abortifacient because it actually is non-abortifacient when you look at the mechanism of action of the drugs in question.

The Orthodox church has no official stance on contraception. If one hates children and that is their reason for using it, then that shows a deeper spiritual issue that needs to be addressed. However, while the Church does have strict fasting rules (which includes abstaining from sex during those times), contraception isn't banned. I don't think contraception is considered ideal, however, in the Orthodox Church the concept of economia is practiced. Divorce and remarriage are also allowed in the Orthodox Church, but it operates on the same premise. It isn't considered ideal, but allowing it can keep people from sinning or turning from Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Because sex is a valid and wonderful form of intimacy and, yes, fun. It's also completely natural that people have that urge to have sex.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Married people should not have to avoid sex.

I've sat through more than one pharmacology class. I believe most contraception is non-abortifacient because it actually is non-abortifacient when you look at the mechanism of action of the drugs in question.

The Orthodox church has no official stance on contraception. If one hates children and that is their reason for using it, then that shows a deeper spiritual issue that needs to be addressed. However, while the Church does have strict fasting rules (which includes abstaining from sex during those times), contraception isn't banned. I don't think contraception is considered ideal, however, in the Orthodox Church the concept of economia is practiced. Divorce and remarriage are also allowed in the Orthodox Church, but it operates on the same premise. It isn't considered ideal, but allowing it can keep people from sinning or turning to Christ.

Thanks for your response, seashale. I don't know what genetic condition your husband has. But again, I'm very sorry for your challenges.

As far as pharmacology and the abortifacient issue... you don't believe that contraceptive pills make the endometrium or lining of the womb more hostile to implantation of a conceived human zygote?

Thanks for the info. on the Orthodox. What do the Orthodox think about Natural Family Planning, such as the Billings Ovulation Method? Is this something in view at all among the Orthodox?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because sex is a valid and wonderful form of intimacy and, yes, fun. It's also completely natural that people have that urge to have sex.

Thanks for your response Cute Tink. I think everyone agrees with you that sex is wonderful.

I also agree that people naturally have the urge to have sex. I think that sexual feelings--which begin when we are pretty young--are very important for our physical, psychological, and spiritual development. But does that mean that we must choose to act out all our feelings? When you say that contracepted sex is a "valid" form of intimacy, why do you say it is not only fun but also "valid"?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your response, seashale. I don't know what genetic condition your husband has. But again, I'm very sorry for your challenges.
Thanks. It hasn't been easy.

As far as pharmacology and the abortifacient issue... you don't believe that contraceptive pills make the endometrium or lining of the womb more hostile to implantation of a conceived human zygote?
Estrogen blocks ovulation, while progesterone alters the endometrium and cervical mucus. These are things the body does naturally at times anyway. Neither are abortifacient. Drugs that work AFTER implantation has already occurred are abortifacient.

Thanks for the info. on the Orthodox. What do the Orthodox think about Natural Family Planning, such as the Billings Ovulation Method? Is this something in view at all among the Orthodox?
I guess it's okay. There is no stance on that either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for your response Cute Tink. I think everyone agrees with you that sex is wonderful.

I also agree that people naturally have the urge to have sex. I think that sexual feelings--which begin when we are pretty young--are very important for our physical, psychological, and spiritual development. But does that mean that we must choose to act out all our feelings? When you say that contracepted sex is a "valid" form of intimacy, why do you say it is not only fun but also "valid"?

I say it is a valid form of intimacy primarily because it's not the only form of intimacy. Many people find that it is an expression of the physical and emotional connection between them (we'll stick to both being married so as to not violate the rules of the forum).

No, we need not act on all of our feelings. However, why do I get to decide how consenting adults conduct their relationships in their private time? I don't see any harm coming from non-procreative sex between consenting partners, thus I find no reason to believe it is immoral.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. It hasn't been easy.

Estrogen blocks ovulation, while progesterone alters the endometrium and cervical mucus. These are things the body does naturally at times anyway. Neither are abortifacient. Drugs that work AFTER implantation has already occurred are abortifacient.

I guess it's okay. There is no stance on that either.

You are welcome. I suppose--based on my own experiences--that you have probably been through what seems at time like hell. I used to think life was easy.

I should perhaps admit at this point that I am learning as I go. So, as far as the contraceptives' progesterone altering the endometrium... wouldn't that be a cause of abortion? I mean, why do you say that "abortifacient" means "working AFTER implantation", when the human being is already genetically complete before implantation?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say it is a valid form of intimacy primarily because it's not the only form of intimacy. Many people find that it is an expression of the physical and emotional connection between them (we'll stick to both being married so as to not violate the rules of the forum).

No, we need not act on all of our feelings. However, why do I get to decide how consenting adults conduct their relationships in their private time? I don't see any harm coming from non-procreative sex between consenting partners, thus I find no reason to believe it is immoral.

I agree wholeheartedly that contracepted sex is not the only form of intimacy. In fact, many women express their desire that their husbands were more mature, and could simply hold them tenderly without tending so much toward intercourse.

May I ask, what do you think about that?

As far as contracepted sex being an "expression of the physical and emotional connection"... do you think that maybe contracepted sex might also be an expression of a lack of intimacy in the relationship?

I agree with you that we need not act on all our feelings. As far as telling others how to behave... I guess I would ask: when do our serious decisions affect not only ourselves but the whole community?

Also, are there any consensual sex practices (within marriage) or other consensual behaviors (such as prostitution, or high-stakes gambling) which you consider to be wrong?

(We should probably tread carefully and respectfully here as not to be obscene or violate any rules). But I'm simply trying to respond to your argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree wholeheartedly that contracepted sex is not the only form of intimacy. In fact, many women express their desire that their husbands were more mature, and could simply hold them tenderly without tending so much toward intercourse.

May I ask, what do you think about that?

Totally fine. If that's all they want to do, more power to them.

As far as contracepted sex being an "expression of the physical and emotional connection"... do you think that maybe contracepted sex might also be an expression of a lack of intimacy in the relationship?

Not necessarily.

I agree with you that we need not act on all our feelings. As far as telling others how to behave... I guess I would ask: when do our serious decisions affect not only ourselves but the whole community?

I would suggest that point comes into play when there is demonstrable harm.

Also, are there any consensual sex practices (within marriage) or other consensual behaviors (such as prostitution, or high-stakes gambling) which you consider to be wrong?

Insofar as they are consensual, no. However, there are conditions where they could be wrong, such as human trafficking or fixed games or taking advantage of someone who cannot understand the consequences of their actions.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

I don't believe that I am morally obligated to be open to the possibility of pregnancy every time I have sex.

Thanks for your response, Cearbhall. You say that you don't believe you are morally obligated to be open to the possibillity of pregnancy every time you have sex. May I ask, why is that?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your response, Cearbhall. You say that you don't believe you are morally obligated to be open to the possibillity of pregnancy every time you have sex. May I ask, why is that?
I see no reason to feel obligated to do this. I would say that not feeling an obligation is the default, and I would need to be shown a reason why I should feel obligated to be open to pregnancy.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Totally fine. If that's all they want to do, more power to them.

Not necessarily.

I would suggest that point comes into play when there is demonstrable harm.

Insofar as they are consensual, no. However, there are conditions where they could be wrong, such as human trafficking or fixed games or taking advantage of someone who cannot understand the consequences of their actions.

Thanks for being a good conversationalist, Cute Tink.

I asked if contracepted sex could express a lack of intimacy in a relationship. You said, "not necessarily". Would you agree, then, that it COULD express a lack of intimacy?

Also, how do you determine "demonstrable harm"?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see no reason to feel obligated to do this. I would say that not feeling an obligation is the default, and I would need to be shown a reason why I should feel obligated to be open to pregnancy.

Thanks for being so clear, Cearbhall. Why do you believe that "not feeling an obligation is the default"?

Reactions: DamianX
Upvote 0